Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
How can Keith be so effective after 5 years?
Posted by: pftw04 ()
Date: January 3, 2013 14:58

How can he be so effective after 5 years, when he was not in good condition 5 years back? Is it that he practised a lot in these 5 years ? Or that he strated practising from 2 years ago, but was n revelaing. I believe it is the 2nd one. What u all think can be reasons behind his miraculous improvement?

Re: How can Keith be so effective after 5 years?
Date: January 3, 2013 15:05

He is not as ill as he was back then, probably.

You don't forget how to play guitar, but it becomes difficult with arthritis, headaches or hearing loss, for instance (not saying this is the case).

Training, rehearsing, new equipment and a good recovery helps you on the way back.

Posted by: RobertJohnson ()
Date: January 3, 2013 15:27

I'm not as euphoric as many members here concerning Keith's performance during the anniversary tour. It is right that his solos are not as mediocre as for example on Shine a Light (the solo on SFTD is even one of the worst in Rock history I think). But the quality of his solo efforts is far away from his peak in the seventies. Of course this time he doesn't play the one solo that he used to play for twenty years or more on every song, but hear for example his almost ridiculous solo on I'm Going Down on 12/15/2012. There you can compare it to the solos by Ronnie, John Mayer and Gary Clark, Jr. If Keith says that gallery play is up to other guitarists then he makes a virtue out of necessity in my opinion.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-01-03 15:28 by RobertJohnson.

Date: January 3, 2013 15:33

Ridiculous? I liked it. It tells a story in very few words, compared with the others. As a journalist i like that grinning smiley

However, his I'm Going Down-solo on the first show really did shut up Jeff Beck's sqeeching. That was priceless - and best of all; I was there to see it thumbs up

Posted by: straycatuk ()
Date: January 3, 2013 16:42

DandelionPowderman
Ridiculous? I liked it. It tells a story in very few words, compared with the others. As a journalist i like that grinning smiley

However, his I'm Going Down-solo on the first show really did shut up Jeff Beck's sqeeching. That was priceless - and best of all; I was there to see it thumbs up

thumbs up +1

sc uk

Posted by: Bjorn ()
Date: January 3, 2013 17:15

Because he´s sober...And god bless!

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: January 3, 2013 17:35

DandelionPowderman
Ridiculous? I liked it. It tells a story in very few words

what was the plot?

Posted by: laertisflash ()
Date: January 3, 2013 18:18

I think there is an optimistic element here: Probably was not arthritis the main reason why Keith had problems during some parts of ABB tour (although i hadn't seen and heard the definition of a "dead guitarist" then, but that's another story). If Keith's main health problem had to do with arthritis, then he would have more problems on stage in 2012, as he is older now, unless... Unless the postulate "time brings an unavoidable recrudescence of arthritis, you can do nothing about it" is not accurate...

In any case, now Keith seems to be healthy enough, in good shape and in good mood. And, as we have expectations for the next months, not for the next decades, Keith seems to have sufficient "fuel" in his "tank".

PS: RobertJohnson, maybe you have right in general about 70s, but worst Keith ever i have seen and heard was Knebworth's Keith... In 1976.

Posted by: talkcheap ()
Date: January 3, 2013 18:24

I think it can be as simple as he don't drink or smoke as much. That makes wonders. If he also is practising their you have the answer. I believe hes smoking weed but that is good for his arthritis.

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: January 3, 2013 18:47

Bjorn
Because he´s sober...And god bless!

He's a quitter?!?

I knew it!!!

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: January 3, 2013 18:55

From the YouTub clips I've seen, an ability to focus and concentrate seems to be the key to Keith's much-improved performances of late. He's not a better guitarist than he was in 2007.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: January 3, 2013 19:07

Agree with you Big Al.

No more flailing arms, silly kicks, and odd posing = much-improved/focused performances from Keith.

Posted by: BlackHat ()
Date: January 3, 2013 19:09

Focus? Yes. Rest? Yes. Multi-vitamins? Possibly.

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: January 3, 2013 20:06

SEX

Posted by: bestfour ()
Date: January 3, 2013 20:15

Because He's KEITH RICHARDS drinking smiley

Posted by: crumbling_mice ()
Date: January 3, 2013 20:37

I wish people would stop these ridiculous comparisons with Jeff Beck, Clapton and Ron Wood...Keith has never been a lead guitarist as such, he can lay down a Chuck berry solo with the best of them, but he is not, and never was a fret board gymnast a' la Jeff Beck. Jeff beck never wrote a song worth remembering and in my opinion his performances with the Stones were dreadful. The man has no feel for a song and his style stuck out like a sore thumb. Clapton's was marginally better but again, he played what he always plays rather than trying to fit in with the Stones style.

Moving onto Keith's playing recently. If you cast your minds back to the ill fated Elvis Costello and Johnny Depp perfomances where he was embarrasingly bad, this was simply a guy who hadn't played for sometime, hadnt rehearsed the song, but didnt give a @#$%&. Not many would do this.

For the recent mini tour he obviously practised and maybe had some better legal medications to reduce the pain in his fingers.

He is never going to be the Keith of 1969, just as I won't be the crumbling mice of 1979 when I played my best guitar. But musicians adapt and we focus on our strengths. It was fantastic to see Keith concentrating on laying the rhythm down, he looked like the grandad of Rock n Roll. I prefer this to say the 40 licks or ABB tour where he was posing throughout the show, but playing hardly anything.

The man has matured, he is confident in his role, he doesnt have to prove anything and he enjoys it. Let's enjoy him while we can.

Date: January 3, 2013 20:39

crumbling_mice
Let's enjoy him while we can.

well, the same holds true for dissing him. there's only so much more time left for that, too, you know.

Date: January 3, 2013 20:42

StonesTod
crumbling_mice

well, the same holds true for dissing him. there's only so much more time left for that, too, you know.

Ha ha, very true Tod, but give the guy credit where it's due!

Posted by: midimannz ()
Date: January 3, 2013 20:42

crumbling_mice
I wish people would stop these ridiculous comparisons with Jeff Beck, Clapton and Ron Wood...Keith has never been a lead guitarist as such, he can lay down a Chuck berry solo with the best of them, but he is not, and never was a fret board gymnast a' la Jeff Beck. Jeff beck never wrote a song worth remembering and in my opinion his performances with the Stones were dreadful. The man has no feel for a song and his style stuck out like a sore thumb. Clapton's was marginally better but again, he played what he always plays rather than trying to fit in with the Stones style.

Moving onto Keith's playing recently. If you cast your minds back to the ill fated Elvis Costello and Johnny Depp perfomances where he was embarrasingly bad, this was simply a guy who hadn't played for sometime, hadnt rehearsed the song, but didnt give a @#$%&. Not many would do this.

For the recent mini tour he obviously practised and maybe had some better legal medications to reduce the pain in his fingers.

He is never going to be the Keith of 1969, just as I won't be the crumbling mice of 1979 when I played my best guitar. But musicians adapt and we focus on our strengths. It was fantastic to see Keith concentrating on laying the rhythm down, he looked like the grandad of Rock n Roll. I prefer this to say the 40 licks or ABB tour where he was posing throughout the show, but playing hardly anything.

The man has matured, he is confident in his role, he doesnt have to prove anything and he enjoys it. Let's enjoy him while we can.

Well said, I too don't play like I used to in the 70's.

Date: January 3, 2013 20:45

crumbling_mice
StonesTod
crumbling_mice

i give him lots of credit for managing to still breathe. any playing he can do at this point is just a bonus.

Date: January 3, 2013 20:47

StonesTod
crumbling_mice
StonesTod
crumbling_mice

i give him lots of credit for managing to still breathe. any playing he can do at this point is just a bonus.

Exactly Tod...careful now, next you'll be saying 'it's great he's here, it's great he's anywhere mwwhoahoa'

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: January 3, 2013 20:51

Obviously it's his new prescription....peace

Date: January 3, 2013 20:56

crumbling_mice
StonesTod
crumbling_mice
StonesTod
crumbling_mice

Exactly Tod...careful now, next you'll be saying 'it's great he's here, it's great he's anywhere mwwhoahoa'

no...so silly. everybody's got to be somewhere. there's nothing special in being somewhere.

Date: January 3, 2013 20:59

StonesTod
crumbling_mice
StonesTod
crumbling_mice
StonesTod
crumbling_mice

no...so silly. everybody's got to be somewhere. there's nothing special in being somewhere.

Everyone knows this is nowhere Tod, keep up!

Date: January 3, 2013 21:04

crumbling_mice
StonesTod
crumbling_mice
StonesTod
crumbling_mice
StonesTod
crumbling_mice

i'm getting these threads mixed up. dammit.

Date: January 3, 2013 21:15

StonesTod
crumbling_mice
StonesTod
crumbling_mice
StonesTod
crumbling_mice
StonesTod
crumbling_mice

Sewing is bad for the mind and eyes.

Date: January 3, 2013 21:17

crumbling_mice
StonesTod
crumbling_mice
StonesTod
crumbling_mice
StonesTod
crumbling_mice
StonesTod
crumbling_mice

the needle and the damage done...or something

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: January 3, 2013 21:21

StonesTod
crumbling_mice
StonesTod
crumbling_mice
StonesTod
crumbling_mice
StonesTod
crumbling_mice
StonesTod
crumbling_mice

the needle and the damage done...or something
il be in my basement room with my needle and my spoon and another girl to take my pain away (if the girl is to take the pain away ,then what is the needle for ?) just asking ?

Posted by: Bob C. ()
Date: January 3, 2013 21:46

Same way you get to Carnegie Hall.

Date: January 3, 2013 21:54

Sewing...the Stones were accomplished at sewing before they moved on to weaving

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2037
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home