Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
OT - Stephen Stills
Posted by: hbwriter ()
Date: January 1, 2013 08:26

To me, one of the most under appreciated guys around - just a minor appreciation thread for him

Re: OT - Stephen Stills
Date: January 1, 2013 10:50

still waiting for his boxset. wonder when its coming out

Date: January 1, 2013 10:58

I adore his music. One of the greatest! I met him a few times on tour, such a nice guy!
Thanks hbwriter! Stephen is one of my heroes.

Date: January 1, 2013 11:45

Yes, do I ever agree. The band Manassas was a true great band. Love this song. There are some good clips on the Tube of Manassas playing in the studio; with Joe Lala, Al Perkins, Hillman, Taylor etc

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: January 1, 2013 12:51

for me he's name first time came up with Koopers album 'Super Session' from -68...the whole 'Guitar-solo-era' started with that album...

2 1 2 0

Posted by: DoomandGloom ()
Date: January 1, 2013 14:05

Great on everything he plays or sings. Love it when he beats the hippy at Big Sur.

Posted by: Dreamer ()
Date: January 1, 2013 14:37

DoomandGloom
Great on everything he plays or sings. Love it when he beats the hippy at Big Sur.

I love it what he says about it at 5:39
How he doesn't love himself for that...a pity you did not learn the same he did.
A wish you lots of Steve's wisdom for 2013.

Date: January 1, 2013 14:52

It's so great to see the audiences dancing and grooving. I guess it was all still new then. It's most likely the very same people that still make up their crowd today. That is why they dont dance anymore.
still I can do w/o 0:57 and 2:12 dancers LOL
It is hard for me to grasp the notion of CSN&Y as a young energetic band, because I have only ever known them as older guys. But this is really good. Lots of Gospel in their sound.

Oh Lord, I just got to 3:12...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-01-01 14:54 by Palace Revolution 2000.

Date: January 1, 2013 15:01

DoomandGloom

Who was the guy who kept the running play-by-play going over the microphone?

That's pretty amazing that Stills was able to go into "4+20" right out of that. He is still out of breath, I think. Did he say "some guys loved me out of that; I was lucky" ?

Posted by: bob r ()
Date: January 1, 2013 15:12

Loved his playing on "Season of the Witch" on Super Session-- all eleven minutes of it--
His singing and playing on the 1st CSN album was ground-breaking as well. His band Manassas was ahead of its time ( AND featured Bill Wyman ) and he has been a pretty consistent performer throughout his career. Anyone ever listen to his version of 'Dear Mr Fantasy" ? Really good --
Graham Nash was supposedly working on tapes that Stills & Hendrix had recorded together and was going to put an album out of the stuff-- to date only one track of their collaboration,"Old Times. Good Times" has officially been released, on Stills 1st solo album, which was also solid ! Hopefully these tracks see the light of day soon, or they wind up on his box set which is due out sometime in 2013--
Good stuff-- very under-appreciated musician.

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: January 1, 2013 15:17

Posted by: runaway ()
Date: January 1, 2013 15:35

Nice one

There are some great CSNY Vinyl albums in my collection

Posted by: tomcasagranda ()
Date: January 1, 2013 16:08

Thanks for that.

I keep meaning to add Manassas to my collection.

Stills was great from 1966 - 1974, i.e. from Springfield, Supersession, CSN, CSNY, first two solo albums, and then Manassas.

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: January 1, 2013 16:28

Palace Revolution 2000
DoomandGloom

Who was the guy who kept the running play-by-play going over the microphone?

That's pretty amazing that Stills was able to go into "4+20" right out of that. He is still out of breath, I think. Did he say "some guys loved me out of that; I was lucky" ?

That's Crosby and Nash egging Steve on. Nash actually says "If you push him in the pool, Stephen, I'll never forgive ya!" which is really just another way of saying "Stephen, I'd really like to see you push this guy in the pool."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-01-01 16:31 by tatters.

Posted by: Rank Stranger ()
Date: January 1, 2013 17:29

Thank you for the Big Sur clip!
I like this rhythm section more than the one Neil Young installed next year!

Here's a link to the Manassas show in Amsterdam, it's their debut gig!

[fredheadset.wordpress.com]

Posted by: rangerdave ()
Date: January 1, 2013 18:15

Thanks for the link, Rank Stranger. i've had this on mp3 for a while and always wanted the FLAC.
I agree that Stills must be THE most underrated rock artist, as a guitarist, a songwriter and a singer. He had a talent for writing songs to suit whatever musical situation he was in; his solo stuff had a blues/gospel edge, he wrote folky 3 part harmonies for CSN, and came up with some fine country- and latin-flavoured things for Manassas. And with Manassas he always seemed more relaxed, like he wasn't having to compete so much as he had with Young etc, and it improved his playing somehow.. I think he upset a lot of people back in the day (including Keith) with his slightly arrogant attitude, and he squandered some of his talent on the usual substances. But i saw him play a couple of years ago and he was in good shape thanks to his newly acquired hearing aids..
I think he missed an opportunity to cement his reputation among rock's elite in the late 80s.. when everyone else was either reformed, rehabbed or rejuvenated (Stones/Lou Reed/Clapton/Dylan etc), he seemed to have reached his personal nadir. He could have reinvented himself as an acoustic bluesman with his grizzled vocals, but he just seemed to tread water with CSN. Let's hope the box set, when it finally comes out, brings him some much-deserved recognition..

Posted by: hbwriter ()
Date: January 1, 2013 18:20

and remember wyman plays on manassas

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: January 1, 2013 18:21

Stephen has always been a big influence for me. I was able to hang with him in LA when I lived there. All I remember was alot of pool playing and a bit of guitar playing.

His acoustic playing style is an American treasure and his voice and musicality sure made alot of Sunday mornings for this kid. peace

Posted by: talkcheap ()
Date: January 1, 2013 20:16

Keith was angry at him. Keith set up signs on the door to the studio for keeping Stephen from borrowing his guitars. Keith said that Stephen didn't do coke properly and he wanted nothing to do with him.

Posted by: 2000 LYFH ()
Date: January 1, 2013 20:48

Nice version of 4+20 on the old Dick Cavett show right after Woodstock in 1969. Play it LOUD!

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: January 1, 2013 20:52

DoomandGloom
Love it when he beats the hippy at Big Sur.

And why is that?

Posted by: ROPENI ()
Date: January 1, 2013 21:19

talkcheap
Keith was angry at him. Keith set up signs on the door to the studio for keeping Stephen from borrowing his guitars. Keith said that Stephen didn't do coke properly and he wanted nothing to do with him.
Only Keith Richards would come up with something as stupid as that,l wonder which is the proper way, according to Mr Richards? With rolled bills of 100.00 or higher denomination only?hot smiley

"No dope smoking no beer sold after 12 o'clock"

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: January 1, 2013 21:44

Stills was one of Jimi Hendrix's favourite people to jam with.

[thepowergoats.com]

Date: January 1, 2013 23:16

bob r
Loved his playing on "Season of the Witch" on Super Session-- all eleven minutes of it--
His singing and playing on the 1st CSN album was ground-breaking as well. His band Manassas was ahead of its time ( AND featured Bill Wyman ) and he has been a pretty consistent performer throughout his career. Anyone ever listen to his version of 'Dear Mr Fantasy" ? Really good --
Graham Nash was supposedly working on tapes that Stills & Hendrix had recorded together and was going to put an album out of the stuff-- to date only one track of their collaboration,"Old Times. Good Times" has officially been released, on Stills 1st solo album, which was also solid ! Hopefully these tracks see the light of day soon, or they wind up on his box set which is due out sometime in 2013--
Good stuff-- very under-appreciated musician.

so for sure the boxset is due out in 2013? i have been waiting forever for it.

btw stills plays piano with hendrix on the song "my friend" and bass on the hendrix tune "somewhere"

Posted by: crumbling_mice ()
Date: January 1, 2013 23:33

I may be wrong but didn't Stills have some kind of obsession with Keith in the late 60's early 70's? Seem to remember reading this somewhere and that was why Keith disliked him. Can anyone else recall this?

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: January 1, 2013 23:54

ROPENI
talkcheap
Only Keith Richards would come up with something as stupid as that,l wonder which is the proper way, according to Mr Richards? With rolled bills of 100.00 or higher denomination only?hot smiley

The quote was actually from Ronnie Wood, didn't mention coke, and could have been toungue in cheek. Stephen often tuned his guitars one or two strings off an open tuning and I'm guessing he left one of Keith's this way after playing it.

Keith was probably caught off guard and had to try to figure out which string was out of tune, took two guesses to figure it out and then proceeded to ban Mr. Stills from the studio. lol peace

Date: January 1, 2013 23:57

crumbling_mice
I may be wrong but didn't Stills have some kind of obsession with Keith in the late 60's early 70's? Seem to remember reading this somewhere and that was why Keith disliked him. Can anyone else recall this?

I can recall reading in Keith Richards by Victor Bockris there he writes that Stephen was sitting in car outside Keiths house and saying in a raspy voice that he should get him with his Bowie knife. Don't now if this is true. I think Richards book Life is better.

Date: January 2, 2013 00:16

I like Crosby and Nash is better singers and better tunes then Stills. The best of them all is of course Neil Young.

Posted by: tomcasagranda ()
Date: January 2, 2013 00:22

Another story concerning Stephen Stills:

When CSNY were making American Dream, David Crosby had just given up freebasing. However, Stills was on cocaine, and said that he did a tour of duty in Vietnam. C, N, and Y asked when Stills was in Vietnam, and he retorted that he was there between 1966 - 1968. Neil Young said he wasn't, as he, Stills, had the first two Buffalo Springfield albums. Stills was adamant that he was killing the Vietcong.

Date: January 2, 2013 00:27

talkcheap
I like Crosby and Nash is better singers and better tunes then Stills. The best of them all is of course Neil Young.

i think stills is the best

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1448
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home