Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345
Current Page: 5 of 5
Re: Why Has "Wild Horses" Endured where other older ballads sound dated?
Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: January 3, 2013 00:35

GasLightStreet
DoomandGloom
DandelionPowderman
DoomandGloom
The Stones used it as an audition tape for guitarists including Clapton, then they released it with a sax solo, probably so sick of hearing guitars.

No BS-audition for Clapton. Only a jam when celebrating Keith's birthday. A good one, though.
I could swear I've heard a version of BS with Clapton, no?

Why would you confuse it for a guitarist audition when Taylor was in the band?

I have the version of Hot Rocks with the Eric Clapton Brown Sugar. I don't believe that was the 'Keith Birthday version' you're referring to.

Having said that, I have no idea if it was an 'audition' for Clapton. Could it be he simply played on a studio version, without it having to be an 'audition'?

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: January 3, 2013 00:37

clapton would never need to audition for a job with the stones. the opposite is not true, however.

Date: January 3, 2013 00:43

StonesTod
clapton would never need to audition for a job with the stones. the opposite is not true, however.

True, they probably wouldn't even consider him after that whole 'Clapton is God' stuff.

The Greatest Rock and Roll Band in the World with God on guitar prolly wouldn't have sat well with Mick...or Keith.

Date: January 3, 2013 00:45

treaclefingers
StonesTod

True, they probably wouldn't even consider him after that whole 'Clapton is God' stuff.

The Greatest Rock and Roll Band in the World with God on guitar prolly wouldn't have sat well with Mick...or Keith.

or could be billed as the GRNRBITW, Featuring God! you know that could only help ticket sales...

Date: January 3, 2013 00:51

StonesTod
treaclefingers
StonesTod

or could be billed as the GRNRBITW, Featuring God! you know that could only help ticket sales...

Well, you're making a rather transparent reference to the PPV I see. The only way that would work, if you said it was featuring Ga-God.

BTW, why are so few out so far this year practicing their new material?

Where is Munich? I heard he was really getting into Ovaltine lately.

Why do they call it Ovaltine anyway?

The jar's round, the mug's round, why don't they call it Jarmugtine...or something?

Date: January 3, 2013 00:53

treaclefingers
StonesTod
treaclefingers
StonesTod

Well, you're making a rather transparent reference to the PPV I see. The only way that would work, if you said it was featuring Ga-God.

The jar's round, the mug's round, why don't they call it Jarmugtine...or something?

there's a rumor floating around that he's not really from munich at all. seems we've been had.

Date: January 3, 2013 00:55

StonesTod
treaclefingers
StonesTod
treaclefingers
StonesTod

there's a rumor floating around that he's not really from munich at all. seems we've been had.

I'll bet that's why the scoundrel doesn't drink Swiss Miss Instant Cocoa!

Posted by: DoomandGloom ()
Date: January 3, 2013 02:23

StonesTod
I see your point, so what is the BS Clapton version and where can I hear it once again..

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: January 3, 2013 04:03

ROCKMAN

Posted by: DoomandGloom ()
Date: January 3, 2013 05:39

That was fun thanks RM

Date: January 3, 2013 10:17

DoomandGloom
DandelionPowderman
DoomandGloom
drbryant
StonesTod
drbryant
Brown Sugar is just a nasty, smoking track with a groove and chorus that are so good that it went straight to no. 1 because it was about slaves and S&M and oral sex.

fixed your post.

I'd like ti think that's true, but I think most people didn't get it. Mick's vocals are a little buried in the mix, and he garbles as usual. I remember seeing the lyrics "how come you DANCE so good, just like a black girl should," which is hilarious because by today's standards, it would be considered just as offensive as the original lyrics. But, in those days, that was fine.
yeah man so many of Mick's lyrics would get banned today... Stray Cat for example. Brown Sugar is a dangerous song by any standards, I wanted to play it at an inauguration party 4 years ago but the band wouldn't do it. The Stones used it as an audition tape for guitarists including Clapton, then they released it with a sax solo, probably so sick of hearing guitars. The Juliard version is hysterical where Woody cops the sax solo and Keith starts congratulating him. I still think Wild Horses is a comp lead track with snippets of both guitarists mixed as one performance.

No BS-audition for Clapton. Only a jam when celebrating Keith's birthday. A good one, though.
I could swear I've heard a version of BS with Clapton, no?

Of course you have, but it wasn't an audition. Great version, though - mainly because of great, great vocals from Mick and Keith, imo thumbs up

Posted by: drbryant ()
Date: January 3, 2013 17:35

That's a great version. One of my favorite Stones moments in Gimme Shelter is where they're in the hotel room listening to the playback of "Brown Suger". You can see it in Mick and Keith's eyes - they know that they have a great track. Another great scene is the band in the studio listening to "Wild Horses". Again, you can see that they love the track.

Date: January 3, 2013 17:41

drbryant
That's a great version. One of my favorite Stones moments in Gimme Shelter is where they're in the hotel room listening to the playback of "Brown Suger". You can see it in Mick and Keith's eyes - they know that they have a great track. Another great scene is the band in the studio listening to "Wild Horses". Again, you can see that they love the track.

I wonder what the look in their eyes was when they first played One More Shot and Doom & Gloom?

Goto Page: Previous12345
Current Page: 5 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2540
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home