Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT - Bobby Womack Alzheimers
Posted by: tomcasagranda ()
Date: January 3, 2013 14:44

Sad news.

2 January 2013 Last updated at 10:31 Share this pageEmailPrint
ShareFacebookTwitter
Bobby Womack reveals Alzheimer's fears

Bobby Womack's latest release The Bravest Man In The Universe won best album at the 2012 Q Awards
Continue reading the main story
Related Stories

Bobby Womack on his life in music Watch
Womack to tour world after cancer
Soul veteran Bobby Womack has revealed that he has been diagnosed with early signs of Alzheimer's disease.

The singer and songwriter, 68, whose tracks include Across 110th Street and Lookin' For a Love, said he had trouble remembering songs and names.

"The doctor said you have signs of Alzheimer's," he told Gilles Peterson on BBC 6 Music. "He said it's not bad yet but it's going to get worse.

"How can I not remember songs that I wrote? That's frustrating."

Womack recently returned to music after having surgery for prostate and colon cancer and suffering pneumonia twice and collapsed lungs.

Last year, he earned acclaim for his first album of new material for 18 years, The Bravest Man In The Universe, which was produced by Blur and Gorillaz frontman Damon Albarn and XL Records founder Richard Russell.

"I don't feel together yet because negative things come in my mind and it's hard for me to remember sometimes," Womack said.

"The most embarrassing thing was when we were getting ready to announce Damon and I can't remember his last name. That's so embarrassing."

Dementia

Dementia is a gradual decline in the brain's functioning
1 in 3 people in the UK will have dementia by the time they die
Alzheimer's disease is the most common dementia
Source: BBC Health

Reducing your risk of dementia
Discover the symptoms of Alzheimer's disease
The Bravest Man In The Universe won the prize for best album at the Q Magazine awards in October.

It was also named the best album of 2012 by Clash magazine, who said it was "music that affects the depths of your soul, that makes you want to dance, that makes you want to cry".

Womack began his career singing with his brothers in The Valentinos and playing guitar for Sam Cooke. One of his early songs, It's All Over Now, was recorded by The Rolling Stones and became their first UK number one in 1964.

As well as pursuing a solo career, Womack wrote hits for Wilson Pickett and George Benson and played guitar for Aretha Franklin and Sly & the Family Stone.

He was an early influence on Jimi Hendrix and was inducted into the Rock 'n' Roll Hall of Fame in 2009.

Re: OT - Bobby Womack Alzheimers
Posted by: Dreamer ()
Date: January 3, 2013 15:08

tomcasagranda
Sad news.

ShareFacebookTwitter

Bobby Womack's latest release The Bravest Man In The Universe won best album at the 2012 Q Awards
Related Stories

Soul veteran Bobby Womack has revealed that he has been diagnosed with early signs of Alzheimer's disease.

The singer and songwriter, 68, whose tracks include Across 110th Street and Lookin' For a Love, said he had trouble remembering songs and names.

"The doctor said you have signs of Alzheimer's," he told Gilles Peterson on BBC 6 Music. "He said it's not bad yet but it's going to get worse.

Womack recently returned to music after having surgery for prostate and colon cancer and suffering pneumonia twice and collapsed lungs.

Last year, he earned acclaim for his first album of new material for 18 years, The Bravest Man In The Universe, which was produced by Blur and Gorillaz frontman Damon Albarn and XL Records founder Richard Russell.

"I don't feel together yet because negative things come in my mind and it's hard for me to remember sometimes," Womack said.

"The most embarrassing thing was when we were getting ready to announce Damon and I can't remember his last name. That's so embarrassing."

Dementia

The Bravest Man In The Universe won the prize for best album at the Q Magazine awards in October.

It was also named the best album of 2012 by Clash magazine, who said it was "music that affects the depths of your soul, that makes you want to dance, that makes you want to cry".

Womack began his career singing with his brothers in The Valentinos and playing guitar for Sam Cooke. One of his early songs, It's All Over Now, was recorded by The Rolling Stones and became their first UK number one in 1964.

As well as pursuing a solo career, Womack wrote hits for Wilson Pickett and George Benson and played guitar for Aretha Franklin and Sly & the Family Stone.

He was an early influence on Jimi Hendrix and was inducted into the Rock 'n' Roll Hall of Fame in 2009.

He was fantastic at Jools Holland's Hootenanny!

Date: January 3, 2013 15:12

Very sad. Just read the interview myself. I really love Bobby's early records thumbs up

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: January 3, 2013 16:36

All that coke he took certainly doesn't help...

Posted by: Floorbird ()
Date: January 3, 2013 18:59

That doctor doesn't sound to reinforcing, " Not bad yet but it's going to get worse"(YIKES!).
Be strong Bobby we need your talent.

Posted by: tomcasagranda ()
Date: January 3, 2013 19:00

Dreamer
tomcasagranda
Sad news.

ShareFacebookTwitter

Related Stories

Dementia

He was fantastic at Jools Holland's Hootenanny!

Definitely. I hope there isn't any all out fighting, as there was over Etta James.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2332
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home