Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: CD disc rot?
Date: December 30, 2012 15:08

anyone have a cd that has disc rot? i heard it can cause background noise and i was wondering what the noise sounds like. i have a cd that looks fine but i hear noise, almost like a constant drum beat but its not drums. its a thump that gets louder and softer with the music

Re: OT: CD disc rot?
Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: December 30, 2012 15:19

........have you just moved to a jungle area? .....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: spsimmons ()
Date: December 30, 2012 15:28

I have CDs from the mid 80s and they still sound great. I have heard of disc rot, but just thought it was associated with burnable CD-Rs and DVD-Rs. I did have a DVD start to separate at the layers. I could see that there looked like a bubble forming from the center hub reaching out toward the outside of the disc. Just figured it was more of a manufacturing defect than caused by rot.

Posted by: OhNoNotMeAgain ()
Date: December 30, 2012 15:29

I used to own a "rotten" Springsteen CD bootleg once. Sounded like a beat-up vinyl record with loads of crackling surface noise as far as I remember.

Date: December 30, 2012 15:32

spsimmons
I have heard of disc rot, but just thought it was associated with burnable CD-Rs and DVD-Rs.

No, this also affected numerous factory-pressed bootleg CD's (in particular early issues on the Italian "Great Dane" label) and even a couple of official releases.

Date: December 30, 2012 15:34

OhNoNotMeAgain
I used to own a "rotten" Springsteen CD bootleg once. Sounded like a beat-up vinyl record with loads of crackling surface noise as far as I remember.

ok, its not a crackling surface noise. its more like a thump hidden down in the musicc. maybe if i name the cd if someone else has it they can see if its just the master. jefferson airplane loves you, disc 3. tracks 3-7

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: December 30, 2012 16:45

On some of my older CDs, I have static. Anyone know the cause or cure? Thanks!

Happy New Year!

Posted by: BlackHat ()
Date: December 30, 2012 16:48

I didn't buy the Super Heavy album album so I have no rotten CDs.

Date: December 30, 2012 19:36

Elmo Lewis
On some of my older CDs, I have static. Anyone know the cause or cure? Thanks!

Cause: Inferior material used, resulting in the disc deteriorating with time.

Cure: None. There's no way to do anything about it once a disc has started to rot. A rotting CD will eventually take on some kind of bronze tone and ultimately become unplayable.

Posted by: GravityBoy ()
Date: December 30, 2012 19:40

I only heard of that for burnables.

People don't realise.

It's not a long term stable media.

Posted by: tomcasagranda ()
Date: December 30, 2012 19:44

I have one: it's disc 2 of Van Morrison's Hymns to The Silence.

Date: December 30, 2012 19:45

GravityBoy
I only heard of that for burnables.

People don't realise.

It's not a long term stable media.

Depends on the brand and how they were burned, I guess. I have CD-R's that are more than 10 years old and still play fine. Others deteriorated within two years or less.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: December 30, 2012 20:29

I have had CD rot and DVD rot. It sucks. And is really a big loss when it happens. On some DVDs I would try to play and the player says disc unreadable. When you look at the disc it looks like there is a grey film underneath the plastic on the digital layer. ROT. CDs not so much so. Did have a few CDs that I bought in the 80s that skip a bit, but no noticeable change in the music.

Posted by: donvis ()
Date: December 30, 2012 21:38

My Voodoo Brew discs all developed a film on them, possibly from the plastic cases. An FTD Elvis cd had this problem also. I washed them with dish detergent and a soft cloth and now they play fine. i now store them so the disc's face touches the case. If your cd looks cloudy try washing it gently.

Posted by: drbryant ()
Date: January 3, 2013 17:20

I have a collection of 4000 commercially released CD's, and there is definitely such a thing as "disc rot", although the problem seems to be limited to a very small handful of commercial discs. Initially, it does indeed sound like static. In most cases, the discs will eventually be unplayable, so copy them now. To date, it has affected only a small handful of commercially released discs.

If you have discs manufactured by PDO in the UK in the 80's, you should check them. Many of those discs have "bronzed" so that the surface of the disc takes on a yellowish tone rather than the original silver. One common example is Elvis Costello's "Girls Girls Girls" two-disc compilation in the "fat boy" CD case. Many of those have bronzed, and some are now unplayable.

There are other examples. Some discs start to "fog" and then eventually the surface of the disc looks like a cracked mirror - all those discs are unplayable. Discovery Systems in the US had some problems with some of their discs. This is a shame since they made many promo and unique discs. There is a four or six (can't remember) song promo CD from the Beatles at the BBC, that came in a nice folding cardboard digipak. As far as I know, that entire pressing has rotted; there are no longer any playable copies of that CD in existence.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: January 3, 2013 17:34

whitem8
I have had CD rot and DVD rot. It sucks. And is really a big loss when it happens. On some DVDs I would try to play and the player says disc unreadable. When you look at the disc it looks like there is a grey film underneath the plastic on the digital layer. ROT. CDs not so much so. Did have a few CDs that I bought in the 80s that skip a bit, but no noticeable change in the music.

I was simililarly distraught but I found that by washing the beer and cheezies off with warm soap and water, they appear to play quite well again.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2444
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home