Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4
Re: Mick Jagger Sparks Controversy With Joke
Posted by: gimmelittledrink ()
Date: December 14, 2012 17:43

I watched it live and laughed out loud. Surely people know his humor by now.

Posted by: seitan ()
Date: December 14, 2012 17:54

We are living in times, when people are hyper-sensitive about everything and we get fooled by the media all the time. In order to sell their products- media keeps creating celebrity scandals, becouse we are living in boring times, where everyone is suppose to be politically correct all the time, - and people are afraid to say what they really think

It was just a crap joke, indeed - and there's far more important things to be worrying about than what's the level of Jaggers humour ..and what happend to a freedom af speech, sense of humour anyway, - why should we take so seriously what celebrities say or do. Why cant famous people have a normal bad day in public, like the rest of us ?

- Why should people only show their good sides - how boring. - I like little shit stirring every now and then, it's good to have an edge.

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: December 14, 2012 17:57

As I think about this....

ANY NEWS IS GOOD NEWS....

Just makes sure they spell the name correctly.

...and they shouted far and wide, to all corners, making sure anyone who could know, would know.... "HEY DID YOU KNOW THE STONES ARE HAVING A PPPV SATURDAY?" YOU DIDNT??? WELL..... YOU DO NOW!

Posted by: Wry Cooter ()
Date: December 14, 2012 17:59

Green Lady
treaclefingers
Wry Cooter
Rockman
Tough to read your story Wry but you have a great attitude
... hope everything works out for you ...

TAKE CARE

Thanks, Rockman -- its been a month and a half and I'm doing well -- moved to a new apartment...not so close to the ocean! Still getting new furniture and stuff but I've had it okay.

And btw my amps and gear were up high and are all right...first things first....

all the best mate, you have a great attitude!

All the best - I've had this experience myself (house fire not hurricane, but similar effects). It's hard work and a long haul, but you do get there in the end - and you learn that things, possessions, are perhaps not as important as you thought they were (glad the amps were OK, though). Keep on keeping on!

Thanks -- my experience too. In fact letting go of stuff like two large crates of LPs I hadn't played in 25 years is sort of liberating. Apologies to the vinyl heads!

Posted by: steverogan ()
Date: December 14, 2012 17:59

i took it as a poor attempt at humor.

Posted by: Wry Cooter ()
Date: December 14, 2012 18:06

mitchmitchell
Wry Cooter
. In the scheme of disasters, its been difficult but not the tragedy of 9/11, or the Psunami, or Katrina even. Not that many people died; its a lot of property damage for mostly middle class Americans. No one is starving from it.

Yes, people did die from Hurricane Sandy, and it is wrong for you to dismiss their suffering as unimportant because they are just "middle class Americans" not blacks or poor. How did the hurricane know how to spare poor people or blacks? I am glad you are okay, but please have some compassion for those who were killed or injured or lost their precious belongings, some of which cannot replaced.

I didn't say nobody died. I was reaching for perspective. You have yours so be it. And as stated part of mine is losing many thousands of dollars in property and irreplaceable art, writing, memorabilia, personal effects etc. Not to mention excruciating weeks of getting back on my feet with no home or car. And I am middle class technically. My point was in relation to other "tragedies." And I have compassion. Those people were my friends and neighbors. I saw it and did my best to help where I could..

And btw -- I didn't make any differentiations as to middle class and and race. "Blacks or poor" is kinda messed up...just sayin'....

Economic status is relevant in one's ability to get back on their feet. That is the only point there.

PS -- thanks to all the well wishers! It was a big day for me when I got back on line and was able to post something about the Stones!

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2012-12-14 18:29 by Wry Cooter.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: December 14, 2012 19:03

Well we all know Britian needs help with it's humor. peace

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: December 14, 2012 20:09

Wry Cooter
Green Lady
treaclefingers
Wry Cooter
Rockman
Tough to read your story Wry but you have a great attitude
... hope everything works out for you ...

TAKE CARE

Thanks, Rockman -- its been a month and a half and I'm doing well -- moved to a new apartment...not so close to the ocean! Still getting new furniture and stuff but I've had it okay.

And btw my amps and gear were up high and are all right...first things first....

all the best mate, you have a great attitude!

All the best - I've had this experience myself (house fire not hurricane, but similar effects). It's hard work and a long haul, but you do get there in the end - and you learn that things, possessions, are perhaps not as important as you thought they were (glad the amps were OK, though). Keep on keeping on!

Thanks -- my experience too. In fact letting go of stuff like two large crates of LPs I hadn't played in 25 years is sort of liberating. Apologies to the vinyl heads!

Everyone I've ever met that did that, regretted it in the end! Mercifully, old vinyl replacements are usually pretty cheap to get, and often in better condition!

Date: December 14, 2012 20:13

Naturalust

Good point....
I never have understood/laughed much their humor, except for Bennie Hill, and I usually havea hard time undestanding what he was saying 4/5s of the time... thank goodness for the closed captioning option

No offense meant towards our good friends across the pond.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-12-14 20:14 by Max'sKansasCity.

Posted by: Justin ()
Date: December 14, 2012 20:17

It looks to me that nobody actually got the joke and are misconstruing it to mean something else.

I took the joke as, "because of all the wonderful English guests you've accumulated here tonight for this cause, I (Mick) expect you (Americans) to return the favor to us in the UK at the quickest opportunity---even if it just rains"--meaning don't wait for a hurricane to hit London to put together a great show like this for us. We'll take you even if it just rains.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-12-14 20:19 by Justin.

Posted by: HalfNanker ()
Date: December 14, 2012 20:18

i admit i kind of cringed when he said it...not becasue i was offended (and i live in the hear of Sand'y path), but i thought it may not be preceived as a proper joke...

hopefully it will be quickly forgotten by the media.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: December 14, 2012 20:27

Max'sKansasCity
Naturalust

Good point....
I never have understood/laughed much their humor, except for Bennie Hill, and I usually havea hard time undestanding what he was saying 4/5s of the time... thank goodness for the closed captioning option

Come live here then it will all make sense. grinning smiley

Date: December 14, 2012 20:30

His Majesty
Max'sKansasCity
Naturalust

Good point....

Come live here then it will all make sense. grinning smiley

Id come just for the fish and chips and beer... the humor would be added bonus.
Thank you so much for the invite.... Ill be there if/when it rains. smileys with beer

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: December 14, 2012 20:48

thumbs up smileys with beer

Posted by: stewedandkeefed ()
Date: December 14, 2012 20:55

The tweet that is at the top of this thread comes from Michelle Malkin. She is a professional victim who rants and raves about how liberal America has ruined everything in this world especially her life. She is also a professional whiner with no sense of humour whatsoever. Pay it no mind whatsoever.

Posted by: mitchmitchell ()
Date: December 14, 2012 21:02

HalfNanker
i admit i kind of cringed when he said it...not becasue i was offended (and i live in the hear of Sand'y path), but i thought it may not be preceived as a proper joke...

hopefully it will be quickly forgotten by the media.

I'm afraid not. If anything the whole thing is starting to snowball. Now the New York Media is getting into the act:

Are You Outraged By Mick Jagger's Poorly-Worded Sandy Joke?

[gothamist.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2012-12-14 21:13 by mitchmitchell.

Posted by: tallstone ()
Date: December 14, 2012 21:28

This reflects badly on America.THE ROLLING STONES help them out and our Sir Michael gets moaned at by a silly trouble making slag.Slagged off in fact.Pity America , like Natualust , needs help with its humour.Peace

Posted by: scottkeef ()
Date: December 14, 2012 21:58

SOME people (even here) sure walk around carrying their feelings on their fingertips, dont they?

Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: December 14, 2012 22:18

scottkeef
SOME people (even here) sure walk around carrying their feelings on their fingertips, dont they?

Must be some pretty strong fingers ! smiling smiley

Posted by: FrankM ()
Date: December 14, 2012 23:45

Justin
It looks to me that nobody actually got the joke and are misconstruing it to mean something else.

I took the joke as, "because of all the wonderful English guests you've accumulated here tonight for this cause, I (Mick) expect you (Americans) to return the favor to us in the UK at the quickest opportunity---even if it just rains"--meaning don't wait for a hurricane to hit London to put together a great show like this for us. We'll take you even if it just rains.

That's exactly the way I took it. After he made the joke I didn't give it a second thought and was surprised people got bent out of shape over it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-12-15 19:44 by FrankM.

Posted by: GADAWG ()
Date: December 15, 2012 04:51

mitchmitchell
Mathijs
Sandy wasn't a hurricane, it was a storm. And that's really the sad joke here -that a fund raising show is organized because people refuse to pay tax for proper infrastructure in one of the richest cities and countries in the world.

That's the insulting joke.

Mathijs

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt.

Nuff Said!

Posted by: MKjan ()
Date: December 15, 2012 04:59

Mathijs
Sandy wasn't a hurricane, it was a storm. And that's really the sad joke here -that a fund raising show is organized because people refuse to pay tax for proper infrastructure in one of the richest cities and countries in the world.

Mathijs

thumbs up and

Posted by: bv ()
Date: December 15, 2012 05:01

With six hours of music and emotional stories the joke Mick did was absolutely harmless and true English humour. I guess it takes a bit of intelligence, humour and ironly to understand it. I feel sorry for people who have nothing else to do than make fame from absolutely nothing, at the cost of others. Keep it up Mick!

Bjornulf

Posted by: Rokyfan ()
Date: December 15, 2012 05:19

People should be protesting Billy Crystal's attempts at humor, if you want to talk about offensive.

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: December 15, 2012 19:19

Could have been worse, they could have played Rain fall down & The storm............

Posted by: backstreetboy1 ()
Date: December 15, 2012 19:22

it was stupid comment,but i dont think he meant any harm.

Posted by: jazzbass ()
Date: December 15, 2012 19:27

Mathijs

Mathijs

Can you document this refusal of paying taxes? Can you back this claim with any facts?

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: December 15, 2012 19:42

Sure, the "joke" was harmless in the way that he didn't mean no harm. But it didn't land well. It came across as careless and a bit aloof. Which I'm sure wasn't Sir Michael's intentions. All in all it's a bagatelle though.

Posted by: spsimmons ()
Date: December 15, 2012 19:46

I thought it was humorous. It never even crossed my mind that people would get upset about it. Soooooo sensitive people are nowadays!

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: December 15, 2012 20:04

Mathijs has a point here even if his statement comes across a tad cynical. The Netherlands have invested an enormous amount of tax funds into protection from the sea since they historically have had problems with that. And you can blame the Japanese state for having more than 70 nuclear plants in harms way for their population. As storms (and other phenomena) seems to increase in North America and other parts of the world only the state can take steps to protect its citizens. For that the state needs tax funds...

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1634
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home