Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4
Re: Mick Jagger Sparks Controversy With Joke
Posted by: The Wick ()
Date: December 14, 2012 07:53

Michelle Malkin needs to GET A LIFE.

Posted by: Laughingsam ()
Date: December 14, 2012 08:02

I used to be a public affairs writer and immediately thought it was a poor choice of words. But in context, it was just a harmless comment carelessly rendered by a man who writes and performs music for a living. There was no malicious intent. He was there to support the benefit concert and that's the important thing. People who take issue with it are either being hyper-sensitive or they just don't like Jagger to begin with and are looking to pounce on him.

Posted by: donnarq1 ()
Date: December 14, 2012 08:03

I wondered more about some comment that Sadaris made.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: December 14, 2012 08:39

Wry Cooter
Rockman
Tough to read your story Wry but you have a great attitude
... hope everything works out for you ...

TAKE CARE

Thanks, Rockman -- its been a month and a half and I'm doing well -- moved to a new apartment...not so close to the ocean! Still getting new furniture and stuff but I've had it okay.

And btw my amps and gear were up high and are all right...first things first....

all the best mate, you have a great attitude!

Posted by: howled ()
Date: December 14, 2012 08:42

Duh!

The joke is that it's always raining in London (or seems like it sometimes), so the USA would be continually helping London.

Boom Boom.

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: December 14, 2012 08:44

non story

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: December 14, 2012 10:37

treaclefingers
Wry Cooter
Rockman
Tough to read your story Wry but you have a great attitude
... hope everything works out for you ...

TAKE CARE

Thanks, Rockman -- its been a month and a half and I'm doing well -- moved to a new apartment...not so close to the ocean! Still getting new furniture and stuff but I've had it okay.

And btw my amps and gear were up high and are all right...first things first....

all the best mate, you have a great attitude!

All the best - I've had this experience myself (house fire not hurricane, but similar effects). It's hard work and a long haul, but you do get there in the end - and you learn that things, possessions, are perhaps not as important as you thought they were (glad the amps were OK, though). Keep on keeping on!

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: December 14, 2012 11:52

I think the fact that Mick and the Stones played the concert shows where their hearts are...same as when they played the 9/11 benefit concert.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-12-14 13:43 by Silver Dagger.

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: December 14, 2012 11:55

Silver Dagger
I think the fact that Mick and the Stones played the concert shows were their hearts are...same as when they played the 9/11 benefit concert.

Actions are everything... talk is cheap.

This person who complained about this joke should show
her actions about what she did more for the cause than Mick.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-12-14 11:55 by Max'sKansasCity.

Posted by: leteyer ()
Date: December 14, 2012 12:16

Can't see the harm on the joke...

Posted by: mitchmitchell ()
Date: December 14, 2012 12:34

Wry Cooter
. In the scheme of disasters, its been difficult but not the tragedy of 9/11, or the Psunami, or Katrina even. Not that many people died; its a lot of property damage for mostly middle class Americans. No one is starving from it.

Yes, people did die from Hurricane Sandy, and it is wrong for you to dismiss their suffering as unimportant because they are just "middle class Americans" not blacks or poor. How did the hurricane know how to spare poor people or blacks? I am glad you are okay, but please have some compassion for those who were killed or injured or lost their precious belongings, some of which cannot replaced.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-12-14 12:35 by mitchmitchell.

Posted by: crumbling_mice ()
Date: December 14, 2012 12:48

Great to hear Wry Cooter putting this remark in it's proper context. Glad to hear that you saved your amps and axes Wry.As you rightly point out it was mainly middle class Americans who suffered and it's mainly a hit in the finances rather than death and injury.

I've no idea who the woman tweeting is, but she needs to get a sense of humour. It's what gets us Brits through the hard times, she might learn something and not take herself too seriously. FFS it was a joke and not even a particuarly cutting remark compared to what most of the British comedians have been saying!

Posted by: strettonbull ()
Date: December 14, 2012 12:54

Silver Dagger
I think the fact that Mick and the Stones played the concert shows were their hearts are...same as when they played the 9/11 benefit concert.

Their hearts were in another marketing exercise.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: December 14, 2012 12:56

Sandy wasn't a hurricane, it was a storm. And that's really the sad joke here -that a fund raising show is organized because people refuse to pay tax for proper infrastructure in one of the richest cities and countries in the world.

That's the insulting joke.

Mathijs

Posted by: exhpart ()
Date: December 14, 2012 13:04

Wry Cooter
I lost my home and my car and most of what I own as a result of Sandy. Some had it worse but I had it bad enough. But some people take themselves so seriously. In the scheme of disasters, its been difficult but not the tragedy of 9/11, or the Psunami, or Katrina even. Not that many people died; its a lot of property damage for mostly middle class Americans. No one is starving from it. I've had a tough stretch but I'm doing okay. Mick's joke doesn't bug me at all. Self important pinheads taking umbrage and tweeting about it does.

Wry Cooter...gets it in perspective...well said!

I guess MJ's profile is such that everything he says gets closely examined

This girl needs a good dicking (as I believe our American cousins might say)

Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: December 14, 2012 13:06

The Wick

She has a life.

She's a professional political pundit based in Colorado.

Posted by: beepee2 ()
Date: December 14, 2012 13:15

You can't say anything in our countries, you always have some knobheads somewhere in the medias to create a big scandal out of nothing, no wonder why any public person has to hire 5 lawyers and 3 PR just to make a speech somewhere. eye rolling smiley

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: December 14, 2012 13:25

exhpart

Wry Cooter...gets it in perspective...well said!

I guess MJ's profile is such that everything he says gets closely examined

This girl needs a good dicking (as I believe our American cousins might say)

scottkeef
No biggie as we all know you get a tan from standing in the English rain!
As far as Michelle, you just KNOW that she just wants a bangin' from the Mickster! I bet (just like alot of repressed conservatives) she's a real "go-er eh? eh? bet she is bet she is" when it comes to sex!

I don't report posts, but if I did, I might report these. Sometimes it's very difficult to be a Lady (Green or otherwise) in the IORR boys' locker room.

(By the way, I think this is a whole lot of fuss about nothing - a storm in a teacup, if I'm actually allowed to use the word "storm" without getting called out for insensitivity! Just a difference in national styles of humour.)

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: December 14, 2012 13:32

Yep even a paperback copy would help loosen her laughin' gear .......

ROCKMAN

Date: December 14, 2012 13:41

howled
Duh!

The joke is that it's always raining in London (or seems like it sometimes), so the USA would be continually helping London.

Boom Boom.

Lucky they're not from Manchester in that case. There, rain is a way of life.

Date: December 14, 2012 13:45

strettonbull
Silver Dagger

Their hearts were in another marketing exercise.

Shhh, if you keep quiet about it maybe the general populace will never realise.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: December 14, 2012 14:36

Noblesse oblige. Sir Michael, as a nobleman, should think twice before delivering sarcasms. "Noble ancestry constrains to honorable behavior;privilege entails to responsibility" as Oxford English Dictionary puts it. In the diplomatic world this would have been considered a blamage.

Date: December 14, 2012 14:39

Mathijs
Sandy wasn't a hurricane, it was a storm. And that's really the sad joke here -that a fund raising show is organized because people refuse to pay tax for proper infrastructure in one of the richest cities and countries in the world.

Mathijs

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2012-12-14 14:42 by mitchmitchell.

Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: December 14, 2012 14:58

mitchmitchell
Mathijs

Mathijs

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt.

thumbs up

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: December 14, 2012 15:10

It was just a crap joke, there's far more important things to be worrying about.

Meanwhile in the Philippines...

[www.hindustantimes.com]

Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: December 14, 2012 15:26

Wry Cooter
I lost my home and my car and most of what I own as a result of Sandy. Some had it worse but I had it bad enough. But some people take themselves so seriously. In the scheme of disasters, its been difficult but not the tragedy of 9/11, or the Psunami, or Katrina even. Not that many people died; its a lot of property damage for mostly middle class Americans. No one is starving from it. I've had a tough stretch but I'm doing okay. Mick's joke doesn't bug me at all. Self important pinheads taking umbrage and tweeting about it does.

All the best to you Wry. Glad to hear that you've got a seemingly good prospective on a rough time which will eventually fade into memory. Here's wishing you a speedy recovery as you continue to put Sandy in your rearview mirror. A number of my friends from here in TN made it up to NY/NJ to physically help in the recovery efforts. Due to commitments here I've been limited to Red Cross donation. Doesn't stoop me from rooting for y'all though!

Peace,
Mr DJA

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: December 14, 2012 16:16

Good grief! Why is everybody in the world so damn sensitive? Just a joke.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-12-14 19:21 by Elmo Lewis.

Posted by: NoCode0680 ()
Date: December 14, 2012 17:10

Elmo Lewis
Good grief! Why is everybody in the world so damn sensative? Just a joke.

I don't think it is "everybody", just a handful. I have still yet to hear this story on any actual news program here in the States. I haven even heard it on fake news programs. Last night on The Colbert Report, Stephen was talking about the concert, and even showed footage he shot from the side of the stage of Mick dancing, but never even brought up this supposed controversy. I think what we have here is the media's obsession with social media combined with scraping the bottom of the barrel for a news story in the 24 hour news cycle, so a few websites have reported this.

But I live in the States and this thread (as well as the linked story) is still the only mention I've seen/heard of this, so "everybody" isn't being too sensitive.

Posted by: andrewt ()
Date: December 14, 2012 17:15

People, if you don't ignore stupid tweets, they'll never go away.

Date: December 14, 2012 17:30

I finally had a chance to watch the video of Jagger's joke and the delivery was a little bit flat. He could have said, "just kidding, folks" instead it sounded like he was put out by having to help the Americans with the hurricane damage.

He could have also referenced "Cross-Fire Hurricane" in JJF, that would have at least been clever. No big deal of course, more of a missed opportunity.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1489
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home