Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4
Mick Jagger Sparks Controversy With Joke
Posted by: mitchmitchell ()
Date: December 14, 2012 03:31

I am almost embarrassed to post this article, but probably people here would be interested in this kerfuffle.

Mick Jagger Sparks Controversy With Joke About Americans Returning The Favor For Sandy Benefit Concert

A seemingly harmless joke from Mick Jagger during last night’s 12-12-12 Concert for Sandy Relief has sparked some outrage from his American fans.

In between songs, the Rolling Stones frontman noted how much of the concert lineup was British before telling the crowd that he expects Americans to return the favor with a benefit show next time it rains in London.

“This has got to be the largest collection of old English musicians ever assembled in Madison Square Garden,” Jagger said to applause. “It’s great helping with this, but I’ve got to say: If it rains in London, you’ve got to come and help us, okay?”

The crowd at MSG seemed to laugh it off, but Twitter users — including conservative commentator Michelle Malkin — immediately took to calling the rocker out for what they deemed an “inappropriate” joke:

[www.mediaite.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-12-14 03:35 by mitchmitchell.

Re: Mick Jagger Sparks Controversy With Joke
Posted by: nick ()
Date: December 14, 2012 03:36

She's a little firecracker, but this one was a dud. A total cutie though.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: December 14, 2012 03:39

Yawn.......what a drrrrrag it is ...

ROCKMAN

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: December 14, 2012 03:39

nick
She's a little firecracker, but this one was a dud. A total cutie though.

Somebody give this woman a drink and tell her to relax.

Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: December 14, 2012 03:43

Is that what Jagger said ?
I couldn't quite make it out on the TV.

As an American, I'm not bothered by this nearly as much as I am about Jagger joking about ticket prices.
I think it takes a bit of balls to joke about ticket prices to the people he (they) charged those exorbitant prices.

Which brings up another thought.......

It's always been my understanding that (most) Europeans consider it distasteful to joke about money.

I would agree with this philosophy, so why has not much been said about Jagger's joking about ticket prices ?

Posted by: golfjen2001 ()

Its a GAS

Talk about a “crossfire hurricane.”

During Wed massive benefit concert for victims of Superstorm Sandy in the New York and New Jersey areas. The bill included a grip of anticipated A-list performers, including a set by Britain’s classic rock-icons, The Rolling Stones.

But, the group’s lead singer, Mick Jagger, managed to offend many Sandy victims when the band took the stage.

In what he probably thought was an innocuous comment, Jagger took the large number of British musicians at the six-hour even into account in some stage banter.

"This has got to be the largest collection of old English musicians assembled in Madison Square Garden,” he said. But the part that many took offense at? Jagger went on: “But I've got to say, if it rains in London, you've got to come help us."

The comment appeared to marginalize the storm as just a bit of rain when anyone who suffered the floods and winds of Sandy knows it was so much more than just a drizzle.

According to Twitchy.com, a website that tracks news through Twitter, even the verified Rolling Stones Twitter account with nearly 250,000 followers, tweeted out the latter half as a direct quote from Jagger. The tweet appears now to have been deleted.

"Not gonna lie when jagger said "better help us out if it ever rains in England" I got a little angry," tweeted Melissa Cavaleri.

"Was he calling us wussies?" asked Jeremy Bednarski.

Other fans were upset that the Stones played such a short set, sandwiched between longer shows from other bands. The Stones only played “You Got Me Rocking” and their classic “Jumping Jack Flash.” But that was it. Not even a trio. No encore.

[www.newsmax.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-12-14 03:53 by mitchmitchell.

Date: December 14, 2012 03:47

Edith Grove

As an American, I'm not bothered by this nearly as much as I am about Jagger joking about ticket prices.
I think it takes a bit of balls to joke about ticket prices to the people he (they) charged those exorbitant prices.

It's always been my understanding that (most) Europeans consider it distasteful to joke about money.

I would agree with this philosophy, so why has not much been said about Jagger's joking about ticket prices ?

What was his joke about ticket prices? I missed it.

Posted by: bam ()
Date: December 14, 2012 03:48

It was just an example of "dry" British humor.

Date: December 14, 2012 03:50

..... don't forget the British forced Torvill & Dean on us

ROCKMAN

Posted by: nankerphlege ()

Idiots. Jagger was poking fun at London and its rain. They should be pissed they only played two songs.

Go Dawgs!

Posted by: tomcat2006 ()

bam
It was just an example of "dry" British humor.

+1

Posted by: carlorossi ()
Date: December 14, 2012 03:57

Edith Grove

Tell it to the Python crew! Seriously, if that's true about Europeans, then I support Mick's effort to not conform here. Plus, I thought it was funny.

Posted by: GADAWG ()
Date: December 14, 2012 03:58

Slut!

Date: December 14, 2012 04:00

I like it when Mick is making some statements on the mike.

British humour is special - not everybody get´s it right ( and I am no Brit)....

BUT PLEASE....how sick is this world, that each and every twitter comment from anybody is being taken so seriously. Talk to each other in reality and discuss about things.....then everything will be alright!

Date: December 14, 2012 04:02

For the record, if you look at the comments section at the mediaite.com article, 90 percent of the people are supporting Mick and criticizing Michelle Malkin, who is trying to get a splash of publicity from this.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-12-14 04:07 by mitchmitchell.

Posted by: melillo ()
Date: December 14, 2012 04:03

no harm no foul

Date: December 14, 2012 04:08

mitchmitchell
Edith Grove

It was at one of the London shows, but I don't recall the exact words.

Maybe someone here can detail what he said.

Posted by: moonchild57 ()
Date: December 14, 2012 04:11

silly thing to say, but not malicious. What would really be funny would be to find out if later on that Keith ripped him a new one over the comment since he is a part time resident of Connecticut!

Posted by: drbryant ()
Date: December 14, 2012 04:22

Edith Grove
mitchmitchell
Edith Grove

It was at one of the London shows, but I don't recall the exact words.

Maybe someone here can detail what he said.

He made two jokes at the concert I attended on the 29th. Can't remember the first, but the second was something like "it's been 50 years. back then the price of bread was £1, the price of butter was 50p, and the price of concert tickets was . . . . well, let's not go there!" It was remarkably unfunny. Most people just looked a little puzzled - I can't recall anyone laughing.

The Sandy joke was also kind of a head-scratcher. But, the thing about Mick is that in interviews, on stage, etc., he has never actually been very funny. I don't think he has much of a feel for humor. Charlie and Bill in the old days would say stuff that was hilarious because they actually had a sense for what was funny.

Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: December 14, 2012 04:24

it may come as a shock to some people but mick jagger is a bit of a smartass.

some of my favorites-

when performing with izzy and axl from guns and roses[who were a multi-platinum selling act at the time] mick introduced them as "some guys who have been following us around in a beat up old van"

when doing the hall of fame with U2 he called them the "worlds most expensive house band"-bono was a good sport by the way, saying" yes,we're available for bar mitvahs and weddings" but the rest of the guys in U2 looked like they wanted to kill mick.

as for michelle malkin,she's so beautiful i dont even listen to all that crazy political stuff that comes out of her mouth.i've literally watched her rant for ten minutes and at the end i had no idea what she said.

Posted by: TheDailyBuzzherd ()
Date: December 14, 2012 04:24

Only in America ...

Date: December 14, 2012 04:32

drbryant
He made two jokes at the concert I attended on the 29th. Can't remember the first, but the second was something like "it's been 50 years. back then the price of bread was £1, the price of butter was 50p, and the price of concert tickets was . . . . well, let's not go there!" It was remarkably unfunny. Most people just looked a little puzzled - I can't recall anyone laughing.

The Sandy joke was also kind of a head-scratcher. But, the thing about Mick is that in interviews, on stage, etc., he has never actually been very funny. I don't think he has much of a feel for humor. Charlie and Bill in the old days would say stuff that was hilarious because they actually had a sense for what was funny.

Did you think Mick was funny on the Letterman Show? I guess Mick was game to go on the show, but not sure "comedy" is his thing. I don't find Letterman particularly funny to be honest.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2012-12-14 04:35 by mitchmitchell.

Date: December 14, 2012 04:34

carlorossi
Edith Grove

Tell it to the Python crew!

Seriously, if that's true about Europeans, then I support Mick's effort to not conform here. Plus, I thought it was funny.

Perhaps it depends on the situation.

I could watch Python all day long but when I pay Mick to entertain me, I don't need him reminding me that I overpaid for his services.

Posted by: slew ()
Date: December 14, 2012 05:17

Oh for christ sake I've heard everything. It was a joke a bad one but get your tit out of the ringer. People need to lighten up.

Posted by: NoCode0680 ()
Date: December 14, 2012 05:44

Is there any actual REAL controversy over this? The story just points to a couple of Tweets, doesn't mean people are actually up in arms over it. This thread is the only thing I've heard about this all day. Didn't see anything on the news, hear anybody discussing it at work, etc. I don't think a few people on Twitter making comments is real controversy. You can't say ANYTHING without offending somebody these days. Mick could have said he loved puppies and a bunch of cat lovers would blow Twitter up. Doesn't make it a story.

Posted by: scottkeef ()
Date: December 14, 2012 06:34

No biggie as we all know you get a tan from standing in the English rain!
As far as Michelle, you just KNOW that she just wants a bangin' from the Mickster! I bet (just like alot of repressed conservatives) she's a real "go-er eh? eh? bet she is bet she is" when it comes to sex!

Posted by: Wry Cooter ()
Date: December 14, 2012 07:29

I lost my home and my car and most of what I own as a result of Sandy. Some had it worse but I had it bad enough. But some people take themselves so seriously. In the scheme of disasters, its been difficult but not the tragedy of 9/11, or the Psunami, or Katrina even. Not that many people died; its a lot of property damage for mostly middle class Americans. No one is starving from it. I've had a tough stretch but I'm doing okay. Mick's joke doesn't bug me at all. Self important pinheads taking umbrage and tweeting about it does.

Date: December 14, 2012 07:37

Tough to read your story Wry but you have a great attitude
... hope everything works out for you ...

TAKE CARE

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Wry Cooter ()
Date: December 14, 2012 07:49

Rockman
Tough to read your story Wry but you have a great attitude
... hope everything works out for you ...

TAKE CARE

Thanks, Rockman -- its been a month and a half and I'm doing well -- moved to a new apartment...not so close to the ocean! Still getting new furniture and stuff but I've had it okay.

And btw my amps and gear were up high and are all right...first things first....

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1659
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home