Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 3 of 5
Re: Track Talk: Midnight Rambler
Posted by: resotele ()
Date: December 12, 2012 11:46

I have 8.4 hours of Midnight Rambler in my itunes library. Do I love the song ? Yes I do.

Resotele

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: December 12, 2012 11:46

YEs, that is from the boot Welcome to New York. Great version!

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: December 12, 2012 11:54

whitem8

But where is the isolated track from? Is it from the Nicky Hopkins archive that suddenly appeared last year with all those great Exile outtakes?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-12-12 11:54 by Silver Dagger.

Date: December 12, 2012 12:05

It is harder to appreciate the studio version when you have learned about the song through a live version; especially the 'Ya-Yas" version. On LIB it is much more difficult to get into the driving-rock feel; which does appeal to our more guttural basic levels. But IMO the sound on LIB of that shrill slide, and the echo harp is much more threatening than any live rendition.
I think on the live versions the tempo changes come out more; esp when it is played well.

Saw the Stones do this at one of the '12 London shows and Jagger still brings it. 100%. Gone were those rehearsed dance moves he does; he was dancing across the stage w/ abandon. Loved it.

Posted by: Wild Slivovitz ()
Date: December 12, 2012 12:20

What could we say one this one? Just best track EVER made by ANYONE!!!

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: December 12, 2012 12:42

Silver Dagger
whitem8

But where is the isolated track from? Is it from the Nicky Hopkins archive that suddenly appeared last year with all those great Exile outtakes?

No idea its been on youtube for some time now and isnt really isolated.

Posted by: drewmaster ()
Date: December 12, 2012 13:06

Sighunt
Midnight Rambler is far and away this fan's favorite Stones tune. IMHO, MR is the showcase of Get Yer Ya Yas Out. My preference is for the '69 versions of this song. Even though it has continued to be a highlight of live Stones shows over the years, I tend to prefer the '69 versions as they really had that element of menace.
On another sensitive note, although I have always dug this tune, my wife who works with victims (i.e. usually women) of domestic violence HATES this song and continues to badger me about why I like it (for me, more for the way it rocks and breaks into that instrumental section rather than the subject matter). My wife and I have had many conversations over the years about Midnight Rambler and why she believes that it denigrates women and glorifies violence, rape & murder. Unfortunately, my wife has never shared my passion for the Stones. She views Midnight Rambler along with other songs as Under My Thumb, Stupid Girl, etc as songs that are anti-women. In the Stones defense, I then point out songs that are more pro-women such as She's a Rainbow, Ruby Tuesday, Angie, Wild Horses, etc. but that doesn't always sway her to my side. Probably why my wife loves Bruce to pieces (he's more respectful & inclusive LOL!!!).

Time to find a good divorce lawyer.spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Drew

Posted by: hulloder ()
Date: January 22, 2013 16:25

someone tell me where i can listen Brian Jones in the song.

in which minute confused smiley

Posted by: Brown Moses ()
Date: January 22, 2013 17:10

I'll have to listen again but I always thought Mick says something like *You're very quick aren't you* in that the fan knows what song is going to be played before it even starts.

Posted by: rebelrebel ()
Date: January 22, 2013 18:02

whitem8
silver dagger and Drewmaster, great posts! Really wonderful to read both your writing. Creative and inspiring.

How can this song be described as tedious by anyone!? Just stuns me this isn't a unqualified universally loved song by Stones fan. One of their crowning achievements. So much to love about it.

I want to add your post to that list. The three of you have really done justice to this masterpiece song. I especially agree that even today live it is a flashback to the glory days of the 70s. It's been many a year since I listened to the studio version though and reading this thread has inspired me to do so.

Posted by: JC21769 ()
Date: January 22, 2013 19:55

Midnight Rambler, the studio version, in my opinion, represents everything the Stones wanted to be at that time...rhythm and blues with their own hypnotic feel.

In Midnight Rambler they truly elevated the classic blues format.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: January 22, 2013 19:57

Their darkest, most unrelenting studio cut. The live version is totally different. It's also my favorite memory of seeing them. 1989, the final night of Steel Wheels in L.A. The overall sound was too busy, a little too Vegas. Then, as Midnight Rambler uncoiled, Ronnie, Keith, Bill & Charlie locked in together and this golden circle of music formed, bigger than the individual members. It will never sound that good again.

Posted by: saltoftheearth ()
Date: February 4, 2013 10:02

Only yesterday I watched the 2013 Newark version of Midnight rambler with Mick Taylor(I think it was the one from PPV) on youtube and I was surprised at how good it actually was with three guitarists. Of course Mick Taylor almost overperformed showwise - if he got a second chance of a lifetime probably everybody would do - but his guitar playing was as great as ever and blended perfectly with the other band members.

It's a plain shame that he did not get the opprotunity of playing a few more songs as a band member. Ron Wood does not have to fear anything because he is great on the later repertoire.

Posted by: Pietro ()
Date: February 5, 2013 21:56

An amazing song in so many ways.

I think of it as a one-act play. It's a scary song. A man breaks into an upper-class woman's home and rapes her. The woman is upper-class, we know, because her house has marble halls.

It was the last song, at least judging by the credits on "Let It Bleed," in which the five original Stones (and no other musicians) played together.

It's fascinating to compare the studio version to the various live versions to see how the song evolved.

In concert, it shows how good musicians the Stones were, especially when Mick Taylor plays. And in some versions the band jams so well you feel like the song could go on for 40 minutes and still be intriguing.

Finally, Jagger's screaming on some live versions -- it's like some kind of weird catharsis.

I've never really been able to figure the song out. That's what a masterpiece is -- you keep coming back to it, trying to unpuzzle it, trying to figure out why it hits you in the solar plex.

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: February 6, 2013 00:06

on let it bleed, when the song gets to the very quiet part..

listen for the laughing ..its there but probably left on from another track..

kinda fun for such a dark song

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: February 6, 2013 00:40

The laughing is clearly intentional. A sleazy laugh. thumbs up

Posted by: djgab ()
Date: February 6, 2013 01:40

I'm always amazed how the rythm changes
the band is tight around Keith and Charlie
each time I think what a band !

Posted by: backstreetboy1 ()
Date: February 6, 2013 09:11

well said drewmaster.

Posted by: ash ()
Date: February 6, 2013 11:42

Possibly their finest moment and proof that the Stones were better with Brian.
Er how do you add a smiley ?

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: February 6, 2013 12:23

Really the result of Brian crying in the corner/Mick sleeping with Anita resulting in Ry Cooder being invited to the studio.

Date: February 6, 2013 13:12

I'm listening to the Trabendo-version right now. As great as the original, imo thumbs up

Date: February 6, 2013 19:01

It's nearly as good as 2000 Light Years Frome Home.

Posted by: From4tilLate ()
Date: February 6, 2013 21:15

Mathijs once said on this forum that Brian is inaudible on MR.

Date: February 6, 2013 21:52

From4tilLate

No one outside of those who were present and or have heard the original sessions tapes knows for sure what Brian played.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-02-06 21:52 by His Majesty.

Date: February 6, 2013 22:55

His Majesty
From4tilLate

No one outside of those who were present and or have heard the original sessions tapes knows for sure what Brian played.

Or IF he played

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: February 6, 2013 23:07

From4tilLate

I think I said that it has been mentioned that Brian plays the timpani on the loud 'boom' after 'well you heard about the Boston'. I then said that I personally don't hear a timpani, but I hear Charlie's snare with the snares taken off, and you can hear him click them back on when they go to the faster bit.

Mathijs

Date: February 6, 2013 23:10

DandelionPowderman
His Majesty
From4tilLate

Or IF he played

They wouldn't have put a credit on the album if he hadn't.

Date: February 6, 2013 23:21

Are there credits on the original album's liner notes?

Date: February 6, 2013 23:48

DandelionPowderman
Are there credits on the original album's liner notes?

Yes, on the inner bag.

[www.stonesondecca.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-02-06 23:49 by His Majesty.

Date: February 7, 2013 00:04

Ok, thanks I

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 3 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1735
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home