Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 3 of 5
Re: Mathijs, what did you think of the gig?
Posted by: Lorenz ()
Date: December 6, 2012 01:10

Thanks Mathijs smiling smiley

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: December 6, 2012 01:27

Agreed with 99% of what you wrote but (basing myself on the live tape from 29) imo the live version of D&G just sucked. It's obvious the band doesn't know yet this song (= the single version is Jagger solo plus Protools...)

And yeah Taylor wandered a lot on MR. Not a single lick worth remembering... but the band itself wasn't very good on this one (imo).

Let's hope MT'll be better on CYHMK in New-York...

Posted by: uhbuhgullayew ()
Date: December 6, 2012 01:35

GravityBoy
Silver Dagger
JaIsNotDead
Does anyone wanna hear my thoughts after the NY shows?

Who the hell is Jal?

It's Jah.

Jah's not dead.

It's a kinda anti-Nietzsche thing by dyslexic rastafarians.

Jaws is dead.

Posted by: Thommie ()
Date: December 6, 2012 14:40

Thanks for the review, Mathijs!
You mention Jagger, Richards, Taylor a lot but nothing about Watts and Wood.
Were they just solid as ever so there's just nothing to add?

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: December 6, 2012 15:30

Mathijs
Alright then, here’s my review.

My seat was Wood’s side, front row, right against the barrier. Security told us that we where not allowed to stand at the barrier for safety reasons, but if you would sit on the designated seat you would not see the stage at all. As it turned out, we where invited to stand at the barrier right after the drums intro. We where at the barrier with only two dozen or so people, meaning no pushing and sufficient room, and we could just walk around and return to the same spot on the barrier. The crowd was different to ‘normal’ Stones gigs: many people looking like Russian oil millionaires -posh dressed guys with ladies with plastic boobs in tiger suits. Oh well.

Sound wasn’t too good where I was standing during the first couple of songs. You could hear the stage sound, and an echo from the hall. It improved after a couple of songs, but it lacked sheer volume throughout the entire gig. Musically, I thought the show was really good at times, better than the last couple of tours. I think Jagger can be added to the seven World Wonders –man he is good. He’s got an old head, but that’s really it. He moved like a young guy, sang just perfect without that nasal quality his voice has gained over the years, and he really is the master of the stage.

There where fantastic songs like Lady Jane, the best ever Gimme Shelter I've seen(she really had similarities to Merry Clayton in her voice), Doom & Gloom really worked well live, Clapton’s spot was great, Live With me rocked, YCAGWYW just fantastic. Some lesser songs as well: I Wanna Be Your Man was great to hear, but Richards got lost during Wood’s solo. One Last Shot is really nothing but an outtake that would have been rejected for release by any bootleg label. The rest of the songs where good, I thought.

I wouldn’t say Richards is better per se than on the last tours. Yes, he’s focussed, concentrated, and doesn’t make a lot of mistakes. But, in my opinion, the real fire is gone –I thought his playing has become bland, it lacks the aggression he use to have. His playing is fairly limited to basic chords and basic rhythm playing, with the odd –great- solo bursts. He still is a terrible lead player though on tracks like Sympathy and Satisfaction. But Richards doesn’t push the music anymore they way he used to do up to 2003, he isn’t driving it anymore. It feels like he now is a guitarist like you and me, a real person again, a mortal and not a rock god anymore.

I liked most guest spots very much. It was great to see Clapton, great to hear Wyman on bass, Gimme Shelter was fantastic. But to be honest, I wasn’t too sure about Taylor. I thought that he just looked awkward, prowling around, acting like the prodigal son, and acting like a guitar god. He looked out of place, being three times the size of Richards and Wood combined, his playing was a bit shaky and he’s lost most of his fluidity. I thought his sound was just bad. I guess he used the Tweed Deluxe, and man it was brittle, spiky, too much treble. It just sounded nasty from where I was standing. By the way, on many occasions Richards tone also was sharp and trebly.

But I really enjoyed the show. It was a great night and I wouldn’t want to have missed it. It was entertaining, fun, a good night out. It isn’t earth shattering or groundbreaking, it’s just good, solid, professional latter day Stones.

Mathijs

Doubt if you were even there.

Posted by: gwen ()
Date: December 6, 2012 15:37

Mathijs
By the way, on many occasions Richards tone also was sharp and trebly.

Remember? This is what I told you after the Trabendo.

Posted by: VT22 ()
Date: December 6, 2012 16:38

More Hot Rocks
Mathijs

My seat was Wood’s side, front row, right against the barrier. Security told us that we where not allowed to stand at the barrier for safety reasons, but if you would sit on the designated seat you would not see the stage at all. As it turned out, we where invited to stand at the barrier right after the drums intro. We where at the barrier with only two dozen or so people, meaning no pushing and sufficient room, and we could just walk around and return to the same spot on the barrier. The crowd was different to ‘normal’ Stones gigs: many people looking like Russian oil millionaires -posh dressed guys with ladies with plastic boobs in tiger suits. Oh well.

Sound wasn’t too good where I was standing during the first couple of songs. You could hear the stage sound, and an echo from the hall. It improved after a couple of songs, but it lacked sheer volume throughout the entire gig. Musically, I thought the show was really good at times, better than the last couple of tours. I think Jagger can be added to the seven World Wonders –man he is good. He’s got an old head, but that’s really it. He moved like a young guy, sang just perfect without that nasal quality his voice has gained over the years, and he really is the master of the stage.

There where fantastic songs like Lady Jane, the best ever Gimme Shelter I've seen(she really had similarities to Merry Clayton in her voice), Doom & Gloom really worked well live, Clapton’s spot was great, Live With me rocked, YCAGWYW just fantastic. Some lesser songs as well: I Wanna Be Your Man was great to hear, but Richards got lost during Wood’s solo. One Last Shot is really nothing but an outtake that would have been rejected for release by any bootleg label. The rest of the songs where good, I thought.

I wouldn’t say Richards is better per se than on the last tours. Yes, he’s focussed, concentrated, and doesn’t make a lot of mistakes. But, in my opinion, the real fire is gone –I thought his playing has become bland, it lacks the aggression he use to have. His playing is fairly limited to basic chords and basic rhythm playing, with the odd –great- solo bursts. He still is a terrible lead player though on tracks like Sympathy and Satisfaction. But Richards doesn’t push the music anymore they way he used to do up to 2003, he isn’t driving it anymore. It feels like he now is a guitarist like you and me, a real person again, a mortal and not a rock god anymore.

I liked most guest spots very much. It was great to see Clapton, great to hear Wyman on bass, Gimme Shelter was fantastic. But to be honest, I wasn’t too sure about Taylor. I thought that he just looked awkward, prowling around, acting like the prodigal son, and acting like a guitar god. He looked out of place, being three times the size of Richards and Wood combined, his playing was a bit shaky and he’s lost most of his fluidity. I thought his sound was just bad. I guess he used the Tweed Deluxe, and man it was brittle, spiky, too much treble. It just sounded nasty from where I was standing. By the way, on many occasions Richards tone also was sharp and trebly.

But I really enjoyed the show. It was a great night and I wouldn’t want to have missed it. It was entertaining, fun, a good night out. It isn’t earth shattering or groundbreaking, it’s just good, solid, professional latter day Stones.

Mathijs

Doubt if you were even there.

Please share your disagreements.

Posted by: uhbuhgullayew ()
Date: December 6, 2012 18:11

Mathijs

Mathijs

Any pics???

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: December 6, 2012 18:13

uhbuhgullayew
Mathijs

Mathijs

Any pics???

is this the new iorr policy and standard? we need visual proof that we don't lie? oh, dear...i'm in a heap of trouble....

Posted by: alimente ()
Date: December 6, 2012 18:31

StonesTod
uhbuhgullayew
Mathijs

Mathijs

Any pics???

is this the new iorr policy and standard? we need visual proof that we don't lie? oh, dear...i'm in a heap of trouble....

Imagine the trouble when he demands pix to prove that you were NOT there!

Date: December 6, 2012 18:33

alimente
StonesTod
uhbuhgullayew
Mathijs

Mathijs

Any pics???

Imagine the trouble when he demands pix to prove that you were NOT there!

crap. from what i've seen, i'm in every picture from the show and i swear i wasn't there! dammit!

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: December 6, 2012 20:14

StonesTod
and i swear i wasn't there! dammit!

Hard to say man, hard to say, you never can tell

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Posted by: Bjorn ()
Date: December 6, 2012 20:31

I dont agree AT ALL!!! Keith is finally sober and is really driving the band! Not posing - just playing - takin´care of business!!! Don´t know what Mathijs saw - but it sure isn´t THE WHOLE TRUTH!!! Not by far!

Date: December 6, 2012 20:35

Bjorn
I dont agree AT ALL!!! Keith is finally sober and is really driving the band! Not posing - just playing - takin´care of business!!! Don´t know what Mathijs saw - but it sure isn´t THE WHOLE TRUTH!!! Not by far!

i sense a scandal. mathijs-gate or something. perhaps an independent investigative committe should be commissioned...we need to get to the bottom of this. Was he even there? And if so, did or did not keith drive the band? The tour should be postponed until we have our answers.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: December 6, 2012 20:47

Bjorn
Don´t know what Mathijs saw - but it sure isn´t THE WHOLE TRUTH!!! Not by far!

Sure it isn't the whole truth. It was my OPINION.

Mathijs
Ps I did take out the really negative parts though, and that's even the reason I didn't want to post a review at all. Everybody is raving, and here's old mathijs with his negetive bla bla again.

Date: December 6, 2012 20:50

Mathijs
Ps I did take out the really negative parts though.

please put them back in. i live for the negativity and i have so little else to live for.

Date: December 6, 2012 21:11

Ok...ok...sorry Mathijs...I know...we have different oppinions...I was pleasently surprised by the show...you maybe wasn´t...as much as me...And I´m fine with that, for god´s sake...I wish you a nice evening there in Holland! Take care!

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: December 6, 2012 21:12

Good review Mathijs. You must have been a few feet away from me as I was in row A too but just left of dead centre.

Date: December 6, 2012 21:54

Silver Dagger
Good review Mathijs. You must have been a few feet away from me as I was in row A too but just left of dead centre.

Then you where just 10 meters to the right of me. I went looking for Gwen, who was also in the center block, but I did not see him unfortunately.

We where in the Pilot Inn from 1400 to 1600 hr, and then took the airlift over the Thames to get to our hotel to fresh up. We went back to the O2 at about 1830 and had diner at the Wagamama restaurant. So we didn't go back to meet up with IORR people, if they where there. We did meet up with people from the Dutch Dirty Work mailing list and had a beer together.

Mathijs

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: December 6, 2012 22:05

Bjorn
Ok...ok...sorry Mathijs...I know...we have different oppinions...I was pleasently surprised by the show...you maybe wasn´t...as much as me...And I´m fine with that, for god´s sake...I wish you a nice evening there in Holland! Take care!

Got to remember that as a guitar player Mathijs has probably dissected the Stones catalog musically speaking and of course would be looking at the guitar playing from a slightly more critical angle than most. The cost of doing that is that some of the magic is lost although somewhat transferred to the student, imho.

As such, I thought the review was honest and insightful. peace

Date: December 6, 2012 22:14

Naturalust
As such, I thought the review was honest and insightful.

what???? he just said he lied and sugar-coated the review by leaving out the bad stuff! he's an insufferable and admitted public liar. please.

Date: December 6, 2012 22:20

Well...I can play a bit or two myself...and I have a good ear...Thanks Mathijs...Always a pleasure...You´re the real deal, mate...A real gentleman...AND DONT ACT surprised - when people are all over you...I reached out my hand...you didn´t give a shit...

Posted by: Horseswild ()
Date: December 6, 2012 22:59

Thanks Mathijs,
For your Honest review. The first I have taken notice of....

Date: December 6, 2012 23:08

Bjorn
Well...I can play a bit or two myself...and I have a good ear...Thanks Mathijs...Always a pleasure...You´re the real deal, mate...A real gentleman...AND DONT ACT surprised - when people are all over you...I reached out my hand...you didn´t give a shit...

I don't understand you, what do you mean with 'you didn't give a shit'?

Mathijs

Date: December 6, 2012 23:12

StonesTod
Naturalust

what???? he just said he lied and sugar-coated the review by leaving out the bad stuff! he's an insufferable and admitted public liar. please.

No suger coating, just leaving out the obvious. There's no use in rambling on about the fact that I don't like Chuck Leavel, that I don't think that Darryl is the righ bass player for the Stones. I have been stating that for years now, and its getting stale by now. Just be happy that the Stones are doing some great gigs, and stop moaning about all that's not right. It's been wrong for years, and its not going to change.

Mathijs

Date: December 6, 2012 23:15

Mathijs
StonesTod
Naturalust

No suger coating, just leaving out the obvious. There's no use in rambling on about the fact that I don't like Chuck Leavel, that I don't think that Darryl is the righ bass player for the Stones. I have been stating that for years now, and its getting stale by now. Just be happy that the Stones are doing some great gigs, and stop moaning about all that's not right. It's been wrong for years, and its not going to change.

Mathijs

there's more bad stuff you left out and you know it. i demand a full confession. iorr will not rest until you offer full disclosure of displeasure.

Date: December 6, 2012 23:43

StonesTod
Mathijs
StonesTod
Naturalust

Mathijs

there's more bad stuff you left out and you know it. i demand a full confession. iorr will not rest until you offer full disclosure of displeasure.

You are not in the position to demand.

Mathijs

Posted by: VT22 ()
Date: December 7, 2012 00:10

Thanks for the review, although I expected most of the things you described before the shows already ( Jagger and Richards). You could have left out the things about Taylor's looks, etc, not very polite. I expected a bit more of Taylor's playing though, let's hope he plays a few more songs in NY, and better, cause he's the only guitarist who made their shows a bit more unpredictable and spicy. At least in my opinion he's the only Stones guitarist who can still do that, potentially.

Posted by: pmk251 ()
Date: December 7, 2012 00:14

Mathijs[/quote]

Unfortunately I think including Taylor and Wyman were token nods to the former bandmates and ultimately ticket sellers. I would hope the guitar players would sit down and work out parts and arrangements and come up with something rather than throwing Taylor at a song which is what MR looked and sounded like to me. After all it has been a long time for Taylor. As for Wyman...If he is in town and wants to play, let him play! Pay Darryl to sit out. What's the point of a two song bass player?

Date: December 7, 2012 00:46

Mathijs
StonesTod
Mathijs
StonesTod
Naturalust

Mathijs

You are not in the position to demand.

Mathijs

ok, i've adjusted myself. now disclose.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 3 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1616
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home