Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 2 of 5
Re: Mathijs, what did you think of the gig?
Posted by: CousinC ()
Date: December 5, 2012 16:35

Grison
Lorenz
Not everyone of you has been part of this forum for more than 10 years... there are some people that are more interesting to hear from than others. I happen to be interested in Mathijs opinion, because he was probably the most critical/controversial person on this board during the last tours. I wasn't the only one who noticed his change lately...And to be frank, he knows what he's talking about and I don't know that about you, Grison...

And it has nothing to do with my self-confidence... I don't need anyone to validate my personal experience of the gig.
Just by the way I have been up and off in the IORR about 30 up years. So little to talk about that. I even met Mathijs once in Utrecht I think where we had the numbers on our hands to get a ticket.
I am just a bit confused that he seems like the one time person who has the ability to judge. I respect his opinion as much as I do yours.
that is all...

How long, Grison? Didn't the forum go on net in the 90's?

Posted by: lamemodem2 ()
Date: December 5, 2012 16:42

Wow, this thread really brought out some @#$%&. Who has the lack of confidence? Yeah, let's not hear from someone who is thoughtful and well spoken. That's not what this board is about. Let hear more nonsense from StonesTod and the like, that's where the real fun is around here.

Posted by: Natlanta ()
Date: December 5, 2012 16:46

i used to be in a band called the slydexic fastararians.

Date: December 5, 2012 16:46

CousinC
Grison
Lorenz
Not everyone of you has been part of this forum for more than 10 years... there are some people that are more interesting to hear from than others. I happen to be interested in Mathijs opinion, because he was probably the most critical/controversial person on this board during the last tours. I wasn't the only one who noticed his change lately...And to be frank, he knows what he's talking about and I don't know that about you, Grison...

And it has nothing to do with my self-confidence... I don't need anyone to validate my personal experience of the gig.
Just by the way I have been up and off in the IORR about 30 up years. So little to talk about that. I even met Mathijs once in Utrecht I think where we had the numbers on our hands to get a ticket.
I am just a bit confused that he seems like the one time person who has the ability to judge. I respect his opinion as much as I do yours.
that is all...

How long, Grison? Didn't the forum go on net in the 90's?

The forum existed before the internet came. From 1980, I believe.

Date: December 5, 2012 16:50

DP, - You mean the fan-club with the printed mag?

Date: December 5, 2012 16:59

CousinC

Yep, and I guess the fans were interacting in a way back then, too. Like writing to eachother, trading stuff etc.?

Maybe sme of the guys who've been around here since then can tell how it was?

Here's the first edition from November 1980:

Posted by: Anderson ()
Date: December 5, 2012 17:02

Naaah, I just think he's still scratching his head wondering what he thinks about the show, after the experience with the Paris club show in 2003 where he raved about the show here just after it, and sort of dismissed it altogether not long afterwards.

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: December 5, 2012 17:03

lamemodem2
Wow, this thread really brought out some @#$%&. Who has the lack of confidence? Yeah, let's not hear from someone who is thoughtful and well spoken. That's not what this board is about. Let hear more nonsense from StonesTod and the like, that's where the real fun is around here.

more nonsense from StonesTod and the like

nonsense is quickly banned on this board.

StonesTod and the like are still on...

therefore its not nonsense.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: December 5, 2012 17:09

GravityBoy
StonesTod
NICOS
Why would it be interesting what Mathijs has got to say? most of the time he's negative...are you hoping he is positive this time?

that's right...and why hasn't anyone asked ME about the gig? hmmm?

OK captain negative... what did you think of the gig?

it was one of their best gigs in the last five years, for sure. probably in the top 2...and that's no exaggeration. keith, in particular, impressed. the taylor and wyman cameos were welcome bonuses, but more or less footnotes. and the new songs? the obvious low-points of the night - those tunes (and it's charitable to call them that) are more soon-to-be-forgotten fodder than even rough justice or ONNYA...

it's not 1972 or 1978 or 1981 or even 1999 again...but at least it's not 1989 or 2006, either.

see? that wasn't so negative, was it?

Posted by: Grison ()
Date: December 5, 2012 17:12

DandelionPowderman
CousinC

Yep, and I guess the fans were interacting in a way back then, too. Like writing to eachother, trading stuff etc.?

IORR Number 7 and 12 are my photos for Björnulf. I think it is Frankfurt 2nd show 1982 . Yes we did exchange casettes, writing letters, waiting eagerly for the postman if there would be a new arrival of tapes arriving with lousy live audios. cool smiley

Date: December 5, 2012 17:14

Grison
DandelionPowderman
CousinC

IORR Number 7 and 12 are my photos for Björnulf. I think it is Frankfurt 2nd show 1982 . Yes we did exchange casettes, writing letters, waiting eagerly for the postman if there would be a new arrival of tapes arriving with lousy live audios. cool smiley

thumbs up

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: December 5, 2012 17:21

DandelionPowderman
CousinC

They used carrier pigeons to get a quick response!

Date: December 5, 2012 17:26

Yeah I know this and I did so too. But that was different times. I've been in fanclubs too since the late 60/early 70's and did one myself.But this board only started in the 90's.Thats what I meant.
edit lol not the pigeon . .

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-12-05 17:29 by CousinC.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: December 5, 2012 17:43

Personally, I am hoping for another Mathijs-Kleermaker bruhaha.

Posted by: VT22 ()
Date: December 5, 2012 17:50

71Tele

How dirty.

Posted by: ChrisM ()
Date: December 5, 2012 17:50

Two pages in and the poster's question still has yet to be answered (by Mathijs)

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: December 5, 2012 19:19

71Tele

If I recall well Mathijs was very enthousiastic about Rambler of the first show with Taylor (Nov. 25). On that one he and I fully agree. Pity for you Tele tongue sticking out smiley

Posted by: GumbootCloggeroo ()
Date: December 5, 2012 19:23

What did Mathijs think of the gig?

Date: December 5, 2012 22:09

kleermaker
71Tele

If I recall well Mathijs was very enthousiastic about Rambler of the first show with Taylor (Nov. 25). On that one he and I fully agree. Pity for you Tele tongue sticking out smiley

Nice to see we are all getting along...I hope Taylor is in Brooklyn Kleermaker, as I will be there.

Date: December 5, 2012 22:15

71Tele
kleermaker
71Tele

Nice to see we are all getting along...I hope Taylor is in Brooklyn Kleermaker, as I will be there.

will you promise to boo the band during MR and maybe throw fruit at them if he doesn't show? i think it's a matter of principle...and you'd be doing us all a huge favor, too.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: December 5, 2012 22:28

Alright then, here’s my review.

My seat was Wood’s side, front row, right against the barrier. Security told us that we where not allowed to stand at the barrier for safety reasons, but if you would sit on the designated seat you would not see the stage at all. As it turned out, we where invited to stand at the barrier right after the drums intro. We where at the barrier with only two dozen or so people, meaning no pushing and sufficient room, and we could just walk around and return to the same spot on the barrier. The crowd was different to ‘normal’ Stones gigs: many people looking like Russian oil millionaires -posh dressed guys with ladies with plastic boobs in tiger suits. Oh well.

Sound wasn’t too good where I was standing during the first couple of songs. You could hear the stage sound, and an echo from the hall. It improved after a couple of songs, but it lacked sheer volume throughout the entire gig. Musically, I thought the show was really good at times, better than the last couple of tours. I think Jagger can be added to the seven World Wonders –man he is good. He’s got an old head, but that’s really it. He moved like a young guy, sang just perfect without that nasal quality his voice has gained over the years, and he really is the master of the stage.

There where fantastic songs like Lady Jane, the best ever Gimme Shelter I've seen(she really had similarities to Merry Clayton in her voice), Doom & Gloom really worked well live, Clapton’s spot was great, Live With me rocked, YCAGWYW just fantastic. Some lesser songs as well: I Wanna Be Your Man was great to hear, but Richards got lost during Wood’s solo. One Last Shot is really nothing but an outtake that would have been rejected for release by any bootleg label. The rest of the songs where good, I thought.

I wouldn’t say Richards is better per se than on the last tours. Yes, he’s focussed, concentrated, and doesn’t make a lot of mistakes. But, in my opinion, the real fire is gone –I thought his playing has become bland, it lacks the aggression he use to have. His playing is fairly limited to basic chords and basic rhythm playing, with the odd –great- solo bursts. He still is a terrible lead player though on tracks like Sympathy and Satisfaction. But Richards doesn’t push the music anymore they way he used to do up to 2003, he isn’t driving it anymore. It feels like he now is a guitarist like you and me, a real person again, a mortal and not a rock god anymore.

I liked most guest spots very much. It was great to see Clapton, great to hear Wyman on bass, Gimme Shelter was fantastic. But to be honest, I wasn’t too sure about Taylor. I thought that he just looked awkward, prowling around, acting like the prodigal son, and acting like a guitar god. He looked out of place, being three times the size of Richards and Wood combined, his playing was a bit shaky and he’s lost most of his fluidity. I thought his sound was just bad. I guess he used the Tweed Deluxe, and man it was brittle, spiky, too much treble. It just sounded nasty from where I was standing. By the way, on many occasions Richards tone also was sharp and trebly.

But I really enjoyed the show. It was a great night and I wouldn’t want to have missed it. It was entertaining, fun, a good night out. It isn’t earth shattering or groundbreaking, it’s just good, solid, professional latter day Stones.

Mathijs

Date: December 5, 2012 22:28

StonesTod
71Tele
kleermaker
71Tele

will you promise to boo the band during MR and maybe throw fruit at them if he doesn't show? i think it's a matter of principle...and you'd be doing us all a huge favor, too.

Sure, send me any fruit you would like thrown on your behalf, or would you trust my selection? I'm thinking grapefruits would be nice. Are they in season?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-12-05 22:28 by 71Tele.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: December 5, 2012 22:58

Thanks Mathijs, that was a fine review. peace

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: December 5, 2012 23:06

I wouldn’t say Richards is better per se than on the last tours. Yes, he’s focussed, concentrated, and doesn’t make a lot of mistakes. But, in my opinion, the real fire is gone –I thought his playing has become bland, it lacks the aggression he use to have

well you were there and saw and heard Keith..he does seem to be hanging back, and really concentrating..

from the yt clips I've seen he sounds good when he has to play a solo. he steps up and plays some cool stuff, in his style ...its rough to hear that 'the real fire is gone'...sad..

Date: December 5, 2012 23:13

71Tele
StonesTod
71Tele
kleermaker
71Tele

Sure, send me any fruit you would like thrown on your behalf, or would you trust my selection? I'm thinking grapefruits would be nice. Are they in season?

sadly, texas grapefruits - the ruby reds are the best in the world - are out of season. but pick out something nice and surprise us!

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: December 5, 2012 23:29

duke richardson
I wouldn’t say Richards is better per se than on the last tours. Yes, he’s focussed, concentrated, and doesn’t make a lot of mistakes. But, in my opinion, the real fire is gone –I thought his playing has become bland, it lacks the aggression he use to have

well you were there and saw and heard Keith..he does seem to be hanging back, and really concentrating..

from the yt clips I've seen he sounds good when he has to play a solo. he steps up and plays some cool stuff, in his style ...its rough to hear that 'the real fire is gone'...sad..

Well who knows how he will sound after 20 gigs in 2013 grinning smiley rough to hear but an honest review by Mathijs................

Posted by: angee ()
Date: December 5, 2012 23:38

Hey, Mathijs, glad you came by.

Certainly a clear-eyed, and un-idealistic look at the band.

~"Love is Strong"~

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-12-05 23:52 by angee.

Date: December 5, 2012 23:40

angee

It leaves room for others of us who may want to rave on a bit more. cool smiley

i always leave room for rave. nobody notices.

Posted by: LieB ()
Date: December 6, 2012 00:03

angee

Agreed on all accounts there!

Posted by: LieB ()
Date: December 6, 2012 00:03

StonesTod
angee

It leaves room for others of us who may want to rave on a bit more. cool smiley

i always leave room for rave. nobody notices.

"Room for rave" sounds ridiculous. grinning smiley

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 2 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1650
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home