Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345
Current Page: 5 of 5
Re: Mathijs, what did you think of the gig?
Posted by: audun-eg ()
Date: December 8, 2012 14:49

Mathijs
Alright then, here’s my review.

My seat was Wood’s side, front row, right against the barrier. Security told us that we where not allowed to stand at the barrier for safety reasons, but if you would sit on the designated seat you would not see the stage at all. As it turned out, we where invited to stand at the barrier right after the drums intro. We where at the barrier with only two dozen or so people, meaning no pushing and sufficient room, and we could just walk around and return to the same spot on the barrier. The crowd was different to ‘normal’ Stones gigs: many people looking like Russian oil millionaires -posh dressed guys with ladies with plastic boobs in tiger suits. Oh well.

Sound wasn’t too good where I was standing during the first couple of songs. You could hear the stage sound, and an echo from the hall. It improved after a couple of songs, but it lacked sheer volume throughout the entire gig. Musically, I thought the show was really good at times, better than the last couple of tours. I think Jagger can be added to the seven World Wonders –man he is good. He’s got an old head, but that’s really it. He moved like a young guy, sang just perfect without that nasal quality his voice has gained over the years, and he really is the master of the stage.

There where fantastic songs like Lady Jane, the best ever Gimme Shelter I've seen(she really had similarities to Merry Clayton in her voice), Doom & Gloom really worked well live, Clapton’s spot was great, Live With me rocked, YCAGWYW just fantastic. Some lesser songs as well: I Wanna Be Your Man was great to hear, but Richards got lost during Wood’s solo. One Last Shot is really nothing but an outtake that would have been rejected for release by any bootleg label. The rest of the songs where good, I thought.

I wouldn’t say Richards is better per se than on the last tours. Yes, he’s focussed, concentrated, and doesn’t make a lot of mistakes. But, in my opinion, the real fire is gone –I thought his playing has become bland, it lacks the aggression he use to have. His playing is fairly limited to basic chords and basic rhythm playing, with the odd –great- solo bursts. He still is a terrible lead player though on tracks like Sympathy and Satisfaction. But Richards doesn’t push the music anymore they way he used to do up to 2003, he isn’t driving it anymore. It feels like he now is a guitarist like you and me, a real person again, a mortal and not a rock god anymore.

I liked most guest spots very much. It was great to see Clapton, great to hear Wyman on bass, Gimme Shelter was fantastic. But to be honest, I wasn’t too sure about Taylor. I thought that he just looked awkward, prowling around, acting like the prodigal son, and acting like a guitar god. He looked out of place, being three times the size of Richards and Wood combined, his playing was a bit shaky and he’s lost most of his fluidity. I thought his sound was just bad. I guess he used the Tweed Deluxe, and man it was brittle, spiky, too much treble. It just sounded nasty from where I was standing. By the way, on many occasions Richards tone also was sharp and trebly.

But I really enjoyed the show. It was a great night and I wouldn’t want to have missed it. It was entertaining, fun, a good night out. It isn’t earth shattering or groundbreaking, it’s just good, solid, professional latter day Stones.

Mathijs

Nice to read a balanced review. Somehow I can't take the unconditional raving too serious. I wasn't there, and shouldn't comment really, but due to the video footage we've been presented you seem to be on the mark. I really agree about your Taylor-thoughts. He really seemed he was trying too hard, but still really cool to see him playing with the boys again.
Still nice to see the band active again, and I must say they seem to be much better than one could fear.

[www.reverbnation.com]

Posted by: Honestman ()
Date: December 8, 2012 14:59

Mathijs
the best ever Gimme Shelter I've seen(she really had similarities to Merry Clayton in her voice)

Just similarities that's it, and that's why I couldn't stand this version.
Watchin' it on the YT video is a pain, I admit it's better when I listen to the bootleg...but not by far.The playin' of Gimme Shelter is so-so, even if better than the first night and man, that girl could sing well for most of you, but to my taste she only tried to sing à la "Janis Joplin", and it doesn't fit at all with the music, or is it the music played by the Stones which doesn't fit with her voice I don't know.I wasn't there, you were there, I guess it's the difference.
For the rest of your review , I agreed with most of it winking smiley

HMN

Posted by: SundanceKid ()
Date: December 8, 2012 18:27

BowieStone
The first night you felt and saw that Mick (Jagger) was very uncomfortable with Taylor following him constantly.
He must have told Taylor not to do that anymore on the second night...which he didn't.
And he played a lot better (I really enjoyed Taylors playing the second night) because of it. Mick Taylor hasn't got the talent to play guitar and play with the crowd/frontman.

windmelody
Mick Taylor needs some feedback, and at times a few rough words can be helpful.

Jagger uncomfortable with MT on stage ? Honestly, how do you make this stuff up.
FYI: It was MJ who encouraged him to move around like that. And complimented him after the first night.

According to the Financial Times, Taylor's presence triggered something in Jagger and made the frontman perform with wild gusto.

Posted by: SundanceKid ()
Date: December 8, 2012 18:32

BowieStone

The first night you felt and saw that Mick (Jagger) was very uncomfortable with Taylor following him constantly.
He must have told Taylor not to do that anymore on the second night...which he didn't.
And he played a lot better (I really enjoyed Taylors playing the second night) because of it. Mick Taylor hasn't got the talent to play guitar and play with the crowd/frontman.

TE
I think you could even "read" Keith thinking, toooo much.
TE
Oslo

BowieStone has this amazing hidden talent, he/she can analyse other people's thoughts before they even enter their minds.

Posted by: BowieStone ()
Date: December 8, 2012 19:40

Thank you. I'm glad my gift is appreciated.

It was what I was thinking while watching it. Not by analysing youtube videos.

Posted by: VT22 ()
Date: December 9, 2012 00:33

windmelody
Mick Taylor needs some feedback.

It's called sustain, it does miracles for Mick in a Stones environment.

Goto Page: Previous12345
Current Page: 5 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1528
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home