Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
Some Girls
Posted by: Edward Twining ()
Date: January 9, 2005 16:05

I was listening to David Jensen on the radio this last week and his classic album of the week was Some Girls.I think Mick really sounded great on the radio. His vocals sounded so full of vitality.
It would be really great if he could recapture that sound for the new album.

Re: Some Girls
Posted by: bassaleman ()
Date: January 9, 2005 18:35

Some Girls is a great guitar disc. I wish the new disc would have a similar formula with two or three guitars ,Charlie’s drumming and a little bit of color from some tasty organ/piano playing. Hopefully Keith and Ron would have their parts together. Let Mick play a little harp and we got a good one I’d say!

Posted by: john r ()
Date: January 9, 2005 18:44

Some Girls was remarkable coming on the heels of the rather uninspired Love You Live - Jagger was especially rejuvenated. The Stones were up against the wall like they were in 1967 pre JJF & BB, & rose to the occasion. I also hope KR & RW (& on SG MJ) work out guitar parts together again. Ian McLagan was perfect keyboard player for SG as well, it was like having a Faces/Stones combo...They are certainly up against it again in 2004-05, with 2 not-great-selling Jagger solo projects, the failed LL, & 7 years (as of Oct 04 - nearly 8 by the time it gets out) since last full studio album. And time aint on their side, as I'm sure they (Mick, Charlie at least) know.

Posted by: Nikolai ()
Date: January 9, 2005 20:24

I think they still felt they had something to prove in 1977/78 - especially Jagger, whose album "Some Girls" basically is. They've got nothing to prove to anyone anymore.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: January 16, 2007 17:32

Boys Keep Swinging

2 1 2 0

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: January 16, 2007 17:38

I'd rather see them make something new and refreshing, instead of trying to re-create a 30 year old album, or 'the next Exile'.

Posted by: rooster ()
Date: January 16, 2007 17:38

Some girls give me heart atack but that album and the song itself gives me relief!! Great sound to!!!

Posted by: JJHMick ()
Date: January 16, 2007 17:39

Some Girls is proof of an Anything-You-Can-Do-We-Can-Do-It-Better-attitude: the best Disco was done by the Stones, the best Punk by the Stones, the best Country by the Stones, the best Soul by the Stones. Some songs are even New Wavey though we are still in the punk period. That they are the best balladeers they didn't have to prove. They are since Tell Me/You Better Move On.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: January 16, 2007 17:41

It was a different time. The Stones were in their early 30's in 1978 and punk was a major threat to them and those alike. They are in their 60's now and to be honest, in my opinion, no longer relevant musically.

Date: January 16, 2007 17:45

>no longer relevant musically.< oops hard words for the old guys..Don't tell
Sonny Rollins...

Date: January 16, 2007 17:45

Yeah and the album before SG they they gave me one of the best ballads i ever heard in my whole life''Memory Motel'' how can they top that ballad..that song gives me fever..it should be on SG..+ hand of Fate....and Shattered on BB....Its stupid I know but I only really really like the life 78 Shattered version.

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: January 16, 2007 17:59

I'd rather them focus on the songwriting.
A great 'sounding' album is nothing w/o great songs.

Date: January 16, 2007 18:14

When I say they are no longer relevant, I really don't mean it as a derogatory way. No one would begrudge the boys releasing anymore studio albums and I'd certainly look forward to hearing one. They've achieved everything they need to o that basis and I really don't think anyone expects them to be where they were in the 60's or 70's

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: January 16, 2007 18:16

rooster - agree about "Memory Motel", it's my favorite Stones song along with "Under My Thumb".

'Some Girls' - a great party album (8-track) in the summer of 1978!

Date: January 16, 2007 18:22

UMT is one of my favs to..Elmo..and Let it Loose..And LSTNT...once again the live Shattered 78 vers blows away the studio version...real cool..I mean I really like Shattered!!

Date: January 16, 2007 20:06

Some Girls is one of the rare Stones LPs where every single song has been played live. Anothers I can think of; Sticky Fingers Black & Blue and (debateably) Let it Bleed.

Posted by: keefstheman ()
Date: January 16, 2007 20:36

The last GREAT Stones album...ahhh the summer of '78

Date: January 16, 2007 20:38

I thought Tattoo You was GREAT too.
... ahhh the summer of '81. Grade 3 just around the corner...

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: January 16, 2007 21:00

tattoo you is great, but it was made of old songs except i think nieghbors was the one new song? but anways becauase of that I would conider some girls their last truly great alubm.

Date: January 16, 2007 21:13

I see, in that respect than... yup! I do prefer Tattoo You, though, but not by much.

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: January 16, 2007 21:21

Its hard to decide which of those two I like more, but Id have to go with some girls. It has more raw energy and contains my favorite, Beest of Burden. I do really like all of tatoo you.especially like the 2nd half of tatoo you. Its great to put on after a tough day.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-01-16 22:58 by ryanpow.

Posted by: keithfan64 ()
Date: January 16, 2007 22:21

Some Girls was great because it was the Stones getting back to their Chuck Berry roots. Theres no reason why they could'nt do that again. Their recent cds are to hard rock sounding imo.

Posted by: bigbang ()
Date: January 16, 2007 22:31

Big Al Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> It was a different time. The Stones were in their
> early 30's in 1978 and punk was a major threat to
> them and those alike. They are in their 60's now
> and to be honest, in my opinion, no longer
> relevant musically.

Hey, if Tom Waits can make a totally original and authentic album like Orphans at his age (he's at least 60, isn't he?) then why the hell can't the Stones? If by relevant you mean commercially, granted. But otherwise, I'm hearing "old, washed up and lacking in the talent department." I hope none of that applies to them.

And the queen is bravely shouting,
"What the hell is going on?"

Posted by: ChelseaDrugstore ()
Date: January 16, 2007 22:37

Completely agree bigbang. And like I was saying in some other thread, what I am afraid has happened is that Jagger and Keith have forgotten that there is no reason why they can not write and record a topnotch album in this day and age. I think they have become so obsessed with numbers and charts, that they need a reason to put out an album. A business reason.
I don't get Rolling Stone magazine anymore but whenever I see it in the store I leaf through it. I have noticed that EVERY time the Stones have been mentioned in the last year, it has been in an article that invloves a pie chart, percnetage points and Toby Keith, Madonna and P Diddy in the next slots.

"...no longer shall you trudge 'cross my peaceful mind."

Date: January 16, 2007 22:38

I am a DJ I am what I play

2 1 2 0

Posted by: bigbang ()
Date: January 16, 2007 22:47

Yes, Chelsea, well put. It's great that their tours are successful and all that, and I do like ABB, but there does seem to be too much "calculation" in what they do (or don't do). Certainly at this stage money can't be everything. If they're going to pander, they should pander to their "real" audience.

And the queen is bravely shouting,
"What the hell is going on?"

Date: January 16, 2007 23:01

Jagger can still do it.
There's no excuse why he DOESN'T - which is why lame Stones albums piss me off!

Posted by: it's_all_wrong ()
Date: January 17, 2007 08:07

keithfan64 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Some Girls was great because it was the Stones
> getting back to their Chuck Berry roots. Theres no
> reason why they could'nt do that again. Their
> recent cds are to hard rock sounding imo.

IMO, Some Girls sounds nothing like Chuck Berry, which is why it was so good. They were incorporating new styles into their music and making it their own.

Date: January 17, 2007 11:05

<IMO, Some Girls sounds nothing like Chuck Berry, which is why it was so good. They were incorporating new styles into their music and making it their own.>

You're both right.

The guitars on Respectable sounds like Berry IMO, but the main thing with SG was the variety; High quality Disco, Hard rock'n'roll, soul, trailer-country, pop and skah-ish tunes - all with the stones' signature sound - fantastic, my favourite Stones-album!

Date: January 17, 2007 11:18

I'm not talking about commercially (A Bigger Bang sold okay I think,) I'm talking about artistically. The Stones don't matter anymore in that sense. They had their day. Artists like Tom Waits and Dylan are different and as a young person, can tell you that their current music is far more appreciated than what the Stones are likely to churn out.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1448
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home