Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: Some Girls
Posted by: Adrian-L ()
Date: January 17, 2007 11:21

Big Al Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I'm not talking about commercially (A Bigger Bang
> sold okay I think,) I'm talking about
> artistically. The Stones don't matter anymore in
> that sense. They had their day. Artists like Tom
> Waits and Dylan are different and as a young
> person, can tell you that their current music is
> far more appreciated than what the Stones are
> likely to churn out.

wise words.

Posted by: jeff14 ()
Date: January 17, 2007 12:41

some girls once again shows that the stones will take on any type of music and make it their own. there is disco, country and western,rock and roll, ballads,motown, and blues. there aren't to many bands out there then or now that could pull this off.
i suppose there was a sense of urgency with this album as keith was spiraling out of control(toronto, ect...), mick taylor had left, and the music scene was
shifting again. so, the stones did what they do best, adapted and excelled.
it would be nice to see the stones scale down and play smaller places. i know that ticket prices would be even crazier but they should just decide to say, perhaps we've got enough cash let's give one back to the folks who've been around for the ride. just something without all the glimmer and glammer and war horses...wishful thinking

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: January 17, 2007 15:52

People still talk about Some Girls as if it were fresh of the pressing line.

It was almost 30 years ago. It was good, but it doesn't come close to the insanely creative Jimmy Miller period. Not by a long shot.

Posted by: rooster ()
Date: January 17, 2007 16:43

But Faraway eyes is far way out better than Dear Doctor!

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: January 17, 2007 16:49

rooster Wrote:
> But Faraway eyes is far way out better than Dear
> Doctor!

Yes, I think so too

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-01-17 16:57 by Erik_Snow.

Date: January 17, 2007 16:50

<It was almost 30 years ago. It was good, but it doesn't come close to the insanely creative Jimmy Miller period. Not by a long shot.>

Well, it's my favourite Stones-album, and IMO the most varied and creative 10-song LP ever made in rock music.

Date: January 17, 2007 16:56

Some Girls IS a 10/10 album, no doubt. I DO love it. The other ones are 15/10 though, is all.

Posted by: KSIE ()
Date: January 17, 2007 18:35

Some random memories from Spring 78:

I was 20 years old, and among my crowd you were mostly a Stones fan or a Zep fan. Several of us had gotten into punk, but in the US it was rare to hear any Pistols or Clash on the radio. Hadn't really set-in yet.

1973 to 1977 Zeppelin had released Houses of the Holy, Physical Graffiti, Presence and a concert movie. The Stones meanwhile had released IORR, BnB, and a so-so live album. The Zep fans had become very cocky and called their band, "the world's greatest". It was getting a little hard to argue. The Stones seemed to be coasting a little bit.

Miss You came out first. I wasn't nearly as horrified as some of my friends about the disco-ish sound. Actually Hot Stuff had been more of a shock to my system. I thought MY was a good song, but was following the Black n Blue sound for the most part.

I remember hearing the first other track off of SG on WWDC-101 FM. It was Whip. I was totally unprepared for the sound. I remember thinking that the DJ must be wrong: this couldn't be the Stones! Too wild, too much vocal growling, too much insane soloing. No way!!

Needless to say, the rest is history. That album was everywhere in the Summer of 78. Every party ended-up with 30 people circled around the stereo, bellowing Shattered at the top of their lungs. People dressed in plastic bags, some kind of fashion!

Wow, what an album.

Posted by: pmk251 ()
Date: January 18, 2007 06:55

Some Girls may be a classic of the Woody period, but that is not saying much. It's a fun record. It has a feel. It is slickly produced, but musically there is less going on there than most people credit. It is the band re-inventing itself to a younger audience in the post-punk era. I like the record better than its live performances. "Just My Imagination" live is for me a band low point. Another guitarist could have made this record something that it isn't...interesting.

Date: January 18, 2007 10:34

<It is slickly produced, but musically there is less going on there than most people credit.>

"Slickly produced"?? Name 5 other records with better sound, and especially with better guitar sound...

Posted by: forligan ()
Date: January 18, 2007 11:15

I too remember the summer of 78.
A bunch of us went to Buffalo (Rich Stadium) in my brothers new car, it was a Dodge Magnum, way cool at the time. We drove from Turkey Point, (1 hour west of Toronto) and listened to the tape all the way, when we got to Orchard Park,man.............the vibes were incredible. Of course we were country boys and naive thinking we'd get a room the night before, since it was GA. We got a box of budweiser, cruised the streets, finally got in line around 2 am, and..............fell asleep with 30 or 40 people around us. When I awoke, there were thousands, holy moly, check for my wallet,(more for the ticket than anything else) and we're ready to go. When gates opened there was that mad rush, (think , the Who in Cincinatti) and fences went down. It was run with the bulls or get run over.
Inside...........beautiful, a rock concert in it's glory.........none of these SECURITY @#$%& running all over, sure there was some but nothing like now,
the sweet smell of burning weed, sweat and everything else.
When the Stones hit the stage..........LET IT ROCK.......I'll leave out other stuff, this is way too long.......probably the best rock concert I've been to, sure the sound is now better, everything is superslick, but the ramshackle way that day unfolded, that's what memories are made of......by the way....yes Some Girls was the last great album, you could taste the guitars, literally through the vinyl.......last hurrah I suppose

Date: January 18, 2007 11:53

No Forligan not to long! Great story!

Date: January 18, 2007 13:01

Please, tell more! smiling smiley

Date: January 18, 2007 15:53

DandelionPowderman Wrote:
> >
> "Slickly produced"?? Name 5 other records with
> better sound, and especially with better guitar
> sound...

1. Exile on Main Street
2. Sticky Fingers
3. Let It Bleed
4. Tattoo You
5. It's Only Rock'n'Roll

Date: January 18, 2007 16:19

The only album that comes close IMO, is Let It Bleed.

It's Only Rock'n'Roll??? This album's got everything except for good guitar sound IMO.

Date: January 18, 2007 17:06

But I like it.

Posted by: keithfan64 ()
Date: January 21, 2007 04:55

One inargueable point is that SGs brought them out of their mid70s duldrums, sold 10 mill. and gave their carrer a new life. Anybody remember how RS mag. trashed the album and tour? They thought they were bigger than the Stones but found out different.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-01-21 05:01 by keithfan64.

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: January 21, 2007 05:00

rooster Wrote:
> But Faraway eyes is far way out better than Dear
> Doctor!

Faraway Eyes is nothing but a retread of all the other country style songs the Stones did and is definatly not better than Dear Doctor.

"It's just some friends of mine and they're busting down the door"

Posted by: Steen G ()
Date: January 22, 2007 22:55

ryanpow Wrote:
> tattoo you is great, but it was made of old songs
> except i think nieghbors was the one new song? but
> anways becauase of that I would conider some
> girls their last truly great alubm.

Nieghbors is just another arrangement of Send it to me with new lyrics.

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: January 22, 2007 23:08

Ive heard that before that they have the same chords. Neighbors takes it from reggea to kind of a chuck berry rocker. and then Live in 81 and was almost kind of punkish, that was cool. I dont really like the version from licks a whole lot. Its a bit lethargic.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-01-22 23:08 by ryanpow.

Posted by: JaggerFan ()
Date: January 22, 2007 23:54

Steen G Wrote:
> ryanpow Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > tattoo you is great, but it was made of old
> songs
> > except i think nieghbors was the one new song?
> but
> > anways becauase of that I would conider some
> > girls their last truly great alubm.
>
> Nieghbors is just another arrangement of Send it
> to me with new lyrics.

You could say the same thing about 90% of Chuck Berry's songs.
3 chords - only so much you can do with then in a 4/4 bar beat song.

Date: January 25, 2007 16:55

I have to say ..I dont play the album often I play those 78 boots almost everyday...and almost the whole of SG was played + those are killer versions!!What a energy!But I have tha play Some G..foo the song SG and of course Let me Walk before!!!

Posted by: Mack Jigger ()
Date: January 25, 2007 18:15

> >
> "Slickly produced"?? Name 5 other records with
> better sound, and especially with better guitar
> sound...

Don't forget the drum sound! Absolutely great!

I love Some Girls and aswell the tour. I know a lot of people disagree, but to me a great rock 'n roll tour!!

Date: January 26, 2007 10:27

The drum sound is marvellous. When I record in a studio, I always bring SG with me to let the engineer know what kind of drum sound I'm after smiling smiley

Posted by: wandering spirit ()
Date: January 26, 2007 11:04

i think SG is my most favourite stones record. i wouln´t go so far to say it´s better than the big four, but somehow it´s "closest to my heart" (sorry for me being pathetic...). All of the songs are great, mabybe the only exception is Lies, which doesn´t mean too much for me. But Whip, Some Girls, Respectable, Before they make me run, Beast and Shattered are all among my most loved stones songs of all the times.

Posted by: wesley ()
Date: January 26, 2007 17:34

Yes, I don`t know what has happened to my mind with these mid70s Stones recordings. Actually I didn´t like them very much comapared to 68-72 era.

It started with listening all the time 40 Licks while driving my car. I started skipping the warhorses and enjoing more and more Emotinal rescue and Beast of Burden. Second thing happened when i did a large repairment at my flats (painting, wall papers etc.) I got mostly inspired and excited with listening to GHS, IORR, Some Girls and TY. I mean I´was only 10 yrs old when they were published and got to Stones with the golden era records, which I started to listen and collect early 80s.

Some girs is a genius collection of different kind of music, now it makes my day!!

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: January 26, 2007 22:39

Hey yeah wesley...them paint fumes will get ya goin'...

ROCKMAN

Posted by: wesley ()
Date: January 26, 2007 22:58

Yep, that might be the reason..

This evening I put finally the last things (don`t know word in English) between the wall and roof - again with GLUE.. I`m so happppppppyyyyyy..

W

Posted by: it's_all_wrong ()
Date: January 27, 2007 01:31

ryanpow Wrote:
> Ive heard that before that they have the same
> chords. Neighbors takes it from reggea to kind of
> a chuck berry rocker. and then Live in 81 and was
> almost kind of punkish, that was cool.

There is a great outtake version of Neighbours on Place Pigalle that sounds very punkish.

Posted by: LA FORUM ()
Date: January 27, 2007 02:17

> The only album that comes close IMO, is Let It
> Bleed.
>
> It's Only Rock'n'Roll??? This album's got
> everything except for good guitar sound IMO.

Listen to Dance little sister dance. Mhm. Yup. Or Fingerprint File. Or IORR. Or Black n blue by the way.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1414
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home