Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3
Re: Best solo record by a Stone
Date: December 3, 2012 15:34

SweetThing
DandelionPowderman

However, even the worst solo Stones-album have some hidden gems (Party Doll, Leather Jacket)

Yes, this is the saving grace of probably all Stones related solo stuff. Agree that "I've Got My Own Album too do" is wonderful, but glad to see personal favorites, Gimme Some Neck and Talk is Cheap get numerous mentions here.

Gimme Some Neck could have been up there, imo, but the production leaves a lot to be desired, to put it mildly smiling smiley

On the New Barbarians-tour the songs from this album were really awesome.

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: December 3, 2012 15:58

StonesTod
jamesfdouglas
BEST

1. Wandering Spirit - his only true 'genuine' sounding album besting all post-Undercover works by The Stones.
2. I've Got My Own Album To Do - an amazing and PAINFULLY underrated album,
3. Talk is Cheap - this is Keith's triumph, finding grooves and spark which he's not delivered since.

If Jagger ever released the Red Devil Sessions it would SMOKE #2 and #3.

WORST

1. Main Offender - Eileen and Wicked As It Seems are the only saving grace from this Telecaster snoozefest. Full of half-songs, two identical 'songs' are even placed together. Keith's creative juice is clearly drained here.
2. Primitive Cool - pretty awful. Only Dirty Work and A Bigger Bang are worse.
3. 1234 - like counting... sheep.

please don't hate 1234...it's a great album and he got all four numbers in proper order, too

will somebody please make me a copy of 1234...i've never heard it....

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: December 3, 2012 16:45

duke richardson
StonesTod
jamesfdouglas
BEST

1. Wandering Spirit - his only true 'genuine' sounding album besting all post-Undercover works by The Stones.
3. Talk is Cheap - this is Keith's triumph, finding grooves and spark which he's not delivered since.

WORST

1. Main Offender - Eileen and Wicked As It Seems are the only saving grace from this Telecaster snoozefest. Full of half-songs, two identical 'songs' are even placed together. Keith's creative juice is clearly drained here.

please don't hate 1234...it's a great album and he got all four numbers in proper order, too

you want all the numbers on it?

Posted by: crumbling_mice ()
Date: December 3, 2012 16:47

I've Got My Own Album...closely followed by Now Look

Keith's arent too bad, but a bit too formulaic.

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: December 3, 2012 16:53

StonesTod
duke richardson
StonesTod
jamesfdouglas
BEST

WORST

all the numbers...in for a penny, in for a pound...

Date: December 3, 2012 17:00

duke richardson
StonesTod
duke richardson
StonesTod
jamesfdouglas
BEST

WORST

all the numbers...in for a penny, in for a pound...

alright, then. somebody please make this man a copy...he'll send you either a penny or a pound in return for your kindness.

Posted by: waaghals ()
Date: December 3, 2012 18:17

Main offender.

Posted by: 68to72 ()
Date: December 3, 2012 18:50

NastyHabits
Wandering Spirit, easily. Full of Stones-quality songs.

+1 smileys with beer

What a drag it is gettin' old

Posted by: Amused ()
Date: December 3, 2012 20:12

duke richardson
StonesTod
jamesfdouglas
BEST

WORST

I actually quite like 1234. it hasn't aged well but the songs are enjoyable x)
send me mail duke if you really want to hear it.

Date: December 3, 2012 20:16

it hasn't aged well? it looks IDENTICAL to what it looked like in 1981! do you?

Posted by: salty ()
Date: December 3, 2012 21:48

For me, Mick tries to hard to be trendy. The irony is that it actually tends to make his stuff sound dated. Kind of analogous to the paradoxical way in which, on the whole, the music of the 80s sounds more dated than the music of the 60s.

I find it hard to listen to Keith's singing for a full CD - let's face it, Keith is limited as a vocalist. I have got Keith's "Live At The Hollywood Palladium" CD and, ironically, the best track is the one Keith doesn't sing on - Sarah Dash sings "Time Is On My Side" really well.

Bill Wyman is not as high profile as Mick or Keith but to me Bill's "Anyway The Wind Blows" CD is better than anything I have heard Mick or Keith do solo. On this CD Bill shows impeccable taste in his selection of musicians and material. Mick often uses Jeff Beck but Jeff tends to take the song over I feel and turn it into a kind of "Guitar Olympics", whereas Albert Lee's work with Bill enhances the song in a more fitting manner, being subtle and unobtrusive rather than overly flashy and bombastic. Georgie Fame is a class act both as a singer and keyboard player. The title track, written by JJ Cale, really motors along. The rockin' country beat reminds me of Waylon's classic take-no-prisoners, shitkickin' sound in the 70s. Damn good. One of the nice things about this record, however, is the variety. The second track is totally different, but still very good. This time Beverley Skeete to sing "spooky". Georgie's piano has a jazzier feel to it this time and there is also some nice sax blowing. The other tracks are also of a high standard. I really love the Mose Allison song "Days like this" which has an intoxicating melody and a very witty and humorous lyric ("excuse me whilst I slash my wrists"!).

Anyway, I'm waffling on - I highly recommend this record.

Mick Taylor also plays on the record by the way.

Date: December 3, 2012 22:09

salty
For me, Mick tries to hard to be trendy. The irony is that it actually tends to make his stuff sound dated. Kind of analogous to the paradoxical way in which, on the whole, the music of the 80s sounds more dated than the music of the 60s.

I find it hard to listen to Keith's singing for a full CD - let's face it, Keith is limited as a vocalist. I have got Keith's "Live At The Hollywood Palladium" CD and, ironically, the best track is the one Keith doesn't sing on - Sarah Dash sings "Time Is On My Side" really well.

Bill Wyman is not as high profile as Mick or Keith but to me Bill's "Anyway The Wind Blows" CD is better than anything I have heard Mick or Keith do solo. On this CD Bill shows impeccable taste in his selection of musicians and material. Mick often uses Jeff Beck but Jeff tends to take the song over I feel and turn it into a kind of "Guitar Olympics", whereas Albert Lee's work with Bill enhances the song in a more fitting manner, being subtle and unobtrusive rather than overly flashy and bombastic. Georgie Fame is a class act both as a singer and keyboard player. The title track, written by JJ Cale, really motors along. The rockin' country beat reminds me of Waylon's classic take-no-prisoners, shitkickin' sound in the 70s. Damn good. One of the nice things about this record, however, is the variety. The second track is totally different, but still very good. This time Beverley Skeete to sing "spooky". Georgie's piano has a jazzier feel to it this time and there is also some nice sax blowing. The other tracks are also of a high standard. I really love the Mose Allison song "Days like this" which has an intoxicating melody and a very witty and humorous lyric ("excuse me whilst I slash my wrists"!).

bill and his RK's haven't made a bad record - all of them perfectly executed and highly accessible. i listen to the rk's much more than i do the stones...

Date: December 3, 2012 22:10

StonesTod
salty

bill and his RK's haven't made a bad record - all of them perfectly executed and highly accessible. i listen to the rk's much more than i do the stones...

Please forgive me but who is RK?

Thanks.

Date: December 3, 2012 22:14

steel driving hammer
StonesTod
salty

Please forgive me but who is RK?

Thanks.

He means the Rhythm Kings, which is the name of Bill Wyman's band.

Date: December 3, 2012 22:17

Duh, thanks.

Date: December 3, 2012 22:22

StonesTod

Agree - "Struttin' Our Stuff" happens to be my favourite but all the Bill Wyman Rhythm Kings CDs are worth hearing.

Date: December 3, 2012 22:23

salty
StonesTod

Agree - "Struttin' Our Stuff" happens to be my favourite but all the Bill Wyman Rhythm Kings CDs are worth hearing.

double bill. double your pleasure, double your fun.

Date: December 3, 2012 22:30

StonesTod
salty
StonesTod

double bill. double your pleasure, double your fun.

Yes, Double Bill is great too. Love that one "I can't dance I've got ants in my pants" and the one about "get in the kitchen and stop your bitchin' and get out of my way".

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2086
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home