Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: OT: Any seventies punkfans on IORR?
Posted by: GravityBoy ()
Date: December 1, 2012 22:59

StonesTod
..and if you keep saying they are punk, i'm gonna come over there and do stuff to you they talk about in some pogues songs....

Are you going to get me pishkey?

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: December 1, 2012 23:18

The only punk I like is the Germs and the Sex Pistols, but I'm a massive fan of the Sex Pistols. And I appreciate that punk informed SOME GIRLS in a major way.

Posted by: GravityBoy ()
Date: December 1, 2012 23:22

The Pogues are a Celtic punk band from London,

[en.wikipedia.org]

If wiki says it then it's true.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: December 1, 2012 23:49

Title5Take1
The only punk I like is the Germs and the Sex Pistols, but I'm a massive fan of the Sex Pistols. And I appreciate that punk informed SOME GIRLS in a major way.

that's easy to say - but unless you're going to be more specific, then we have to discount your appreciation....

Posted by: steffiestones ()
Date: December 1, 2012 23:58

I still believe that the punk movement in the seventies has changed the music scene until today!

Posted by: pennyharp ()
Date: December 2, 2012 00:12

took my kid to riotfest this year in chicago. first band we saw was the addicts. the last that weekend was iggy and the stooges. had fun. now i have a messed up toenail i call my iggy toe.

Date: December 2, 2012 00:20

Almost time to get your old Yobs record from the attic! I love this one!
video: [www.youtube.com]

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 2012-12-02 00:26 by steffiestones.

Posted by: Rollin' Stoner ()
Date: December 2, 2012 00:26

[www.youtube.com] Never MiNd The SeX pisTols...HeRe's ThE QUeenHaTerS!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-12-02 00:28 by Rollin' Stoner.

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: December 2, 2012 00:54

StonesTod
Title5Take1

that's easy to say - but unless you're going to be more specific, then we have to discount your appreciation....

Who made you judge and jury? The punky songs on SOME GIRLS are obvious and I love them. When the Whip Comes Down just stops short of plagiarizing the Ramones' song 53rd and 3rd (both lyrically and sound-wise).

Barbara Charone was in the Paris studio when the Stones recorded SOME GIRLS, and subsequently in her book KEITH RICHARDS: LIFE AS A ROLLING STONE wrote (on p. 176): "Jagger has kept a watchful eye on the British punk scene, imitating them in song and gesture in the studio."

Simon Kirke of Bad Company dropped by the studio (p. 176): "`I can't believe the music,' he says after the first night. `I'd given up on the Stones, but this is so good it scares me.'"

Keith later acknowledged that the punk influence was positive, but at the time wasn't happy about it (p. 174): "`Jagger thinks punk is today, is now,' Richards says, concerned with the problem... 'It's the equivalent to when Dixieland bands added electric guitars, calling themselves r&b bands just to stay up with the times...What the f*ck do WE need to try to sound like the Six Pistols for?'"

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: December 2, 2012 01:18

Title5Take1
StonesTod
Title5Take1

Who made you judge and jury?

you forgot executioner. oh, and i'm in charge of concessions, too....

Posted by: alimente ()
Date: December 2, 2012 04:58

StonesTod
GravityBoy
StonesTod
GravityBoy
StonesTod
pogues = punk?

I would say so.

and i would say no...@#$%& no, in fact.

Well you're from Texas and what do they know about punk?

The Pogues have 100% punk credentials.

Just because they use an accordian means nothing.

nobody's a bigger pogues fan than me. i'm serious...been to many a pogues show and i stand heads and heels above the crowd. and if you keep saying they are punk, i'm gonna come over there and do stuff to you they talk about in some pogues songs....

No doubt you're serious. The brother of a friend of mine actually brought them to Stiff Records, O'Donnell. When he showed me the proof of their first album's sleeve ("Look, this is my brother's newest find!") I was like "What the hell is this? Are you joking?". Of course they won me over when I was able to listen to the record a couple of weeks later. GREAT BAND!

Posted by: keithglimmer ()
Date: December 2, 2012 05:21

Bad brains,Minor Threat,DOA,Dead Kennedys,Black flag.....early 80's hardcore was the music of my youth. I still listen to it all the time. The Stones turned me on to reggae & blues when I was a kid. In '78 when the stones were touring & people were saying some girls was punk influenced I gave it (punk) a listen & once again the stones changed my life!

Date: December 2, 2012 10:51

I was a seventies punk fan before i was a stones fan.
When i first listen to LIB, the stones changed my life but i still listen to seventies punk, that was the music of my youth.

Date: December 2, 2012 11:20

ROPENI
Palace Revolution 2000
I was living and running in NYC during Punk's heyday. So many incredible shows at CBGBs, Max's, Hurrah, and smaller places.
My favorite band back then were the Contortions w/ James Chance. Then later became James White & the Blacks. lotsa noisy, clanking funk.
and two of my alltime favorite guitarists are from those days: Richard Lloyd from Television, and James Blood Ulmer, who at that time was still playing on the street.
Same here P.R,l would also be at those clubs,Max, being my favorite,we probably ran into each other,back then,amazing thumbs up

Yeah ROPENI; I saw your earlier post and was thinking the very same thing. took it all for granted then: running into people all the time; in the diner, at Sunday coffee morning;at this one after-hour joint on 9th (cant recall the name).

Posted by: Amused ()
Date: December 2, 2012 11:32

whitem8
Amused
whitem8
Iggy and the Stooges for sure! The Clash were phenomenal, but lost the plot near the end. Johnny Thunders, epic. Iggy Solo as well.

Iggy Pop solo, yeah! he's forgotten way too often.
I even prefer his solo stuff to Stooges albums to be honest.

"The Idiot" and "Lust for Life" rule.

Yes, they are classic, but also New Values is stellar. And Kill City!

I find NV alright ("Girls"!) but actually not a classic, just a good album. Kill City I've never heard, I'll search for it...

Posted by: ROPENI ()
Date: December 2, 2012 13:46

Palace Revolution 2000
ROPENI
Palace Revolution 2000
I was living and running in NYC during Punk's heyday. So many incredible shows at CBGBs, Max's, Hurrah, and smaller places.
My favorite band back then were the Contortions w/ James Chance. Then later became James White & the Blacks. lotsa noisy, clanking funk.
and two of my alltime favorite guitarists are from those days: Richard Lloyd from Television, and James Blood Ulmer, who at that time was still playing on the street.
Same here P.R,l would also be at those clubs,Max, being my favorite,we probably ran into each other,back then,amazing thumbs up

Yeah ROPENI; I saw your earlier post and was thinking the very same thing. took it all for granted then: running into people all the time; in the diner, at Sunday coffee morning;at this one after-hour joint on 9th (cant recall the name).
smileys with beer

"No dope smoking no beer sold after 12 o'clock"

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: December 2, 2012 13:51

It's ironic that the Clash was considered a "Punk Band" back in the day. Also Londing Calling? is the best album cover pic of all time.

Date: December 2, 2012 14:05

I like all the Clash albums!, the first three are classics, Sandinista was more experimental, combat rock was a little commercial because of the two hits on it.

Posted by: rooster ()
Date: December 2, 2012 20:17

i and i love punkrock!!!

Posted by: Amused ()
Date: December 2, 2012 22:50

what about punk blues and the Gun Club?

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1425
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home