Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Best version of Brussels Affair?
Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: November 30, 2012 09:22

I just downloaded the Stones official release from last year. Its great, but there's a version on Youtube I'm listening to that sounds like it might be better. Higher guitars in the mix and overall harder rocking. Not as polished as the official release. However, that version is missing two songs or so, its only an hour and 7 minutes as opposed to an hour and 20. Was this the widely spread version before the official release? And is the official release the best version to have of this show, particularly in terms of hearing the guitars at full blast? Maybe I just didn't listen to the official release loud enough?

Re: Best version of Brussels Affair?
Posted by: NoCode0680 ()
Date: November 30, 2012 09:38

It was my understanding, and I may be wrong, that this is the only version of this particular show. I know this show isn't the one on all the Brussels Affair bootlegs from over the years, but I also remember reading that it had previously not been available.

There might be other mixes of it though. I don't know if what you are watching on YouTube is actually a different show from the old bootleg or if somebody remixed the show from the official release and put them up or something.

Date: November 30, 2012 09:43

This is the version I found on Youtube, and I feel it sounds so much more powerful than the official release that I just listened to. Again, guitars in particular sound much louder for some reason. But also, its inexplicably missing Star Star and Heartbreaker. AND, its listed at an hour and 6 minutes, but based on the official version, with those two songs missing, the concert should still be an hour and 10 minutes. So I'm just trying to figure out everything. Also this appears it was uploaded before the official release came out last year.

Posted by: ironbelly ()
Date: November 30, 2012 10:15

RollingFreak
Why don't you check CrisM site on this topic?
[www.rollingstonesnet.com]
And keep in mind it was Trevor but not Bobby on the sax.

Date: November 30, 2012 10:27

Ironbelly,

That is a wealth of information. Thank you so much! Looks like I'm the idiot and that the official release is definitely the way to go, in terms of clarity, definition, all the great sound elements. Guess I'll have to listen again with higher volume to really get the guitar stuff down. The few times I have heard this official release, it didn't blow me away like I thought. Then I found the Youtube and that just seemed to be much more powerful. But then again, I guess those shows aren't in as good of quality as these are. The guy in the link you provided seems VERY happy with the new Brussels so I'll give it another listen. Thanks again!

Just one final question, if it can be answered: was the opinion on here when they released Brussels last year that this was easily the best version out there? Clearly this guy seems to think so, but just wondering how others thought on here.

Posted by: ironbelly ()
Date: November 30, 2012 10:50

RollingFreak

Well, you are not the only one with mixed emotions winking smiley

For me - official is great in many ways. And quality - the first one.

But hey, I was listening that bootleg for 20 years (or more) and I know every note on it. That is why, I did not like official at first. And to be fair enough, I still like old RattleSnake or 'Heading for overload'versions.

It is the same thing as happen with the Beggars Banquet. Everybody claim that 2002 SACD/DSD version is the best possible one. Somehow, I do not think so, I am used to old London 800084-2 version of that disc.

Date: November 30, 2012 10:53

I totally know how you feel. And I don't know the bootleg, so I'm just looking for the best version, or whats considered the best. And I guess thats most likely the official release and I'll just have to take another listen. But I know exactly what you mean about knowing a bootleg and just getting comfortable with that. I'm very stubborn in that way. But if the guy that reviewed the official release thought the guitars were fine, and this version appears to have the best of everything (all of the GHS songs, looks like the longest version of a concert out there thus far) so this official version should be good enough for me!

Again, thanks so much for all the help. Its just easier to keep the official version than listen to other copies and make my own choice. Just wanted to see if people didn't like the official release and that doesn't appear to be true.

Posted by: kowalski ()
Date: November 30, 2012 12:37

Maybe the biggest difference is the official release is not from the same show than the bootleg.

Posted by: Captainchaos ()
Date: November 30, 2012 13:12

kowalski
Maybe the biggest difference is the official release is not from the same show than the bootleg.

exactamon!!!

i too love 'The Brussells Affair - Definitive Edition' and prefer it to the official, both are great tho

The dif for me is that the official one DEFO seems mixed more for todays ears if that makes sense. Like for eg the sound of the snare on the official one is alot more of a punchy phat 'current' live sound when compared to the 'TBA-DE' (which has a more organic/live snare feel to it - i favour TBA-DE for this BIGTIME)

The official also uses more compression on the kit, slightly dif spread/balance on the guitars, it does tho have a better/clearer/punchier bottom end, check out the bass & kick sound on the official and compare to the boot (this is defo better on the official rather than the 'TBA-DE'

basically, the official has been mixed for modern ears, and has more compression on the snare, better & clearer bottom end on the bass & Kick, slightly better qual overall

TBA-ED sounds like a live band, the guitars are also louder (and for the better), the kit sounds live and not as processed, the snare in particular sounds miles more natural, less compressed - BUT you do loosed abit of bottom end clarity and weight when compared to the official

end of the day - its 2 dif performances, one mixed then (for radio i think? maybe wrong) & the other mixed 40 years later

as a listenening experience i prefer a more untreated natural live sound (tho obviously theres a tipping point) - vibe wise if i want to hear something to get in the moment with and feel it seeping into my bones i automatically choose the 'TBA-ED' everytime. The official is still great tho but its not my natural reach to if i want to hear something to shake my ass & feel alive

Date: November 30, 2012 15:23

Captainchaos
kowalski

exactamon!!!

i too love 'The Brussells Affair - Definitive Edition' and prefer it to the official, both are great tho

The dif for me is that the official one DEFO seems mixed more for todays ears if that makes sense. Like for eg the sound of the snare on the official one is alot more of a punchy phat 'current' live sound when compared to the 'TBA-DE' (which has a more organic/live snare feel to it - i favour TBA-DE for this BIGTIME)

The official also uses more compression on the kit, slightly dif spread/balance on the guitars, it does tho have a better/clearer/punchier bottom end, check out the bass & kick sound on the official and compare to the boot (this is defo better on the official rather than the 'TBA-DE'

basically, the official has been mixed for modern ears, and has more compression on the snare, better & clearer bottom end on the bass & Kick, slightly better qual overall

TBA-ED sounds like a live band, the guitars are also louder (and for the better), the kit sounds live and not as processed, the snare in particular sounds miles more natural, less compressed - BUT you do loosed abit of bottom end clarity and weight when compared to the official

end of the day - its 2 dif performances, one mixed then (for radio i think? maybe wrong) & the other mixed 40 years later

as a listenening experience i prefer a more untreated natural live sound (tho obviously theres a tipping point) - vibe wise if i want to hear something to get in the moment with and feel it seeping into my bones i automatically choose the 'TBA-ED' everytime. The official is still great tho but its not my natural reach to if i want to hear something to shake my ass & feel alive

Well said. thumbs up

The official release sounds like they tried to suck up all life out of the original performance. It even got worse with the following releases from Stones Archive...

Date: November 30, 2012 15:46

kowalski
Captainchaos
kowalski

exactamon!!!

Well said. thumbs up

The official release sounds like they tried to suck up all life out of the original performance. It even got worse with the following releases from Stones Archive...

group hug!! theres a trait these days for compressing foreground background and middleground all together, adding bottom end weight, trimming the top and beefing it up - i prefer music to sound organic, unprocessed and with light and shade in the sonics.

Posted by: toomuchforme ()
Date: November 30, 2012 16:13

listen to Brussels on vinyl on high end deck...maybe you would change your mind

"we know it's a bit late but we hope you don't mind if we stay"

Date: November 30, 2012 17:14

toomuchforme

The vinyl at 750$ or the one at 1500$? winking smiley

Date: November 30, 2012 18:37

kowalski
toomuchforme

The vinyl at 750$ or the one at 1500$? winking smiley

now i'd like that for sure

in all seriousness tho
1. IF it's a flat transfer onto vinyl it'll be the same, as it would be from the same mix source. (highly doubt this due to needle bounce on the grooves)

2. If it's been topped and tailed so the needle doesnt bounce then the Official mix will have again been mastered/ squashed specifically for the vinyly, but ultimately will still derive from the same official mix

3. Now this is a BIG BIG IF, but IF the official vinyl has been mixed separately, ie a brand new mix, and then specifically mastered for vinyl then you'll be looking at something special -and if so, can i have a copy.

basically if the vinyl is derived from the official download, it'll be the same processing/mix, but then either flat transfered, ie no changes in peaks and troughs - or transfered and mastered for vinyl

basically it'll be the same mix i suspect, but played on a dif audio device, therefore mastered to suit that device (if your lucky)

Posted by: toomuchforme ()
Date: November 30, 2012 18:46

I guess there is no specific mix sad smiley but when I compare the sound of my Linn lp 12 with the Linn Akurate Ds the sound is almost always better with the vinyl. Much bass and dynamic. So it depends on your system.

"we know it's a bit late but we hope you don't mind if we stay"

Date: November 30, 2012 23:11

toomuchforme
I guess there is no specific mix sad smiley but when I compare the sound of my Linn lp 12 with the Linn Akurate Ds the sound is almost always better with the vinyl. Much bass and dynamic. So it depends on your system.

I think they can't use the same compressed mix for vinyl for technical reasons so it's possible it's a little less compressed than on the digital download.

Posted by: shadooby ()
Date: December 1, 2012 15:02

Halcyon's "Bunnies, Bombs, Busts & a Princess"...hands down, good luck finding it though.

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: December 1, 2012 15:15

There's a Quad version:

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Date: December 1, 2012 15:28

crickey

please let me have a copy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Date: December 1, 2012 15:30

shadooby
Halcyon's "Bunnies, Bombs, Busts & a Princess"...hands down, good luck finding it though.

[kentjapan.com]

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: December 2, 2012 20:33

Captainchaos
crickey

[www.iorr.org]

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Posted by: Slick ()
Date: December 2, 2012 20:37

Tour De Force vinyl for sound, though the intros on both sides of Bedspring Symphony make it still my fav.

Date: December 2, 2012 21:11

Deltics
Captainchaos
crickey

[www.iorr.org]

Thanks vmuch marvelous!!!

Posted by: crumbling_mice ()
Date: December 2, 2012 23:40

Slick
Tour De Force vinyl for sound, though the intros on both sides of Bedspring Symphony make it still my fav.

Yes..those intros are amazing and they should have used them on the official. Possibly the best intro to any bootleg recording. and it's this which keeps me listening to Reverse Blues ore than the official release.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1513
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home