Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4
Re: Goat's Head Soup
Posted by: KeithNacho ()
Date: November 18, 2012 23:42

I think that this is the album in which music, no just R&R, gains the highest points in their legacy. Lirically and mellodically superb.
A beautiful piece of art

Posted by: MickyG ()
Date: November 18, 2012 23:48

Love it!

Posted by: MingSubu ()
Date: November 19, 2012 00:59

Always dug it. My older bro had the cassette, when I was little. When the beginning of Heartbreaker would start... Oh my god!

I consider, GHS, equal to the big four.

Posted by: alimente ()
Date: November 19, 2012 01:55

KeithNacho
I think that this is the album in which music, no just R&R, gains the highest points in their legacy.

Good observation. I've always had the impression that GHS was the album that showed how far the Stones could take their musical development. IORR was a somewhat pale shadow, also Black And Blue could not - apart from some funky tracks that weren't exactly welcomed by most fans at the time - add much. The creative spark hit them again with Some Girls, and after that there was mostly repetition.

Posted by: JMARKO ()
Date: November 19, 2012 06:08

Find or download Captain Acid's "How Do You Hide Your Love?" 2CD set of Goat's Head era alternate mixes, versions, and outtakes. Most of the versions there blow away the final products.

But Goat's Head Soup is a very underrated album in my opinion.

And along with It's Only Rock N Roll, it really suffers from some terrible production/mastering. Both albums sound muffled, flattened. Probably influenced by the drug haze many of the folks were in the midst of.

And I'd recommend getting into a ganga-inspired frame of mind if you are open to that sort of thing. Helps 'interpret' the record.

J

Posted by: tomk ()
Date: November 19, 2012 06:51

You'd be surprised at how many people, myself included, name GHS as their first introduction to the band.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: November 19, 2012 07:31

tomk
You'd be surprised at how many people, myself included, name GHS as their first introduction to the band.

Not my introduction (that was "Hot Rocks") but the first "new" Stones album I bought as a fan.

Posted by: TeddyB1018 ()
Date: November 19, 2012 08:19

I think the opening song, with its almost self-parodying lyrics, is the cause for much of the album's weak reputation.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: November 19, 2012 09:49

71Tele
This angle isn't discussed much, but there was a nice "sub genre" in the Stones for a few years of Jagger/Taylor collaborations. Winter is one, along with Moonlight Mile and Til The Next Goodbye. I don't necessarily mean songwriting per se, but the two of them were definitely the main band members crafting these songs in the studio, with some interesting results. Time Waits For No One is another one.

This is true. Do you notice the ones you mention have a kind of dreamy melancholy? I really love that. Interesting that's where they tended to go in collaborations. (Except for Ventilator Blues).

The fact that Jagger loved "banging off" Taylor's playing is perhaps no more evident than in Hide Your Love on GHS. It's a great track, kind of call and response between them, really easy and joyous and -- I always think of Taylor surfing with the guitar, riding high on a great wave and then plunging down to to Jagger's refrain. And Jagger's groovin on it, "Alright boy! Yeah! C'mon!"

Date: November 19, 2012 10:00

blueyestoo
71Tele
This angle isn't discussed much, but there was a nice "sub genre" in the Stones for a few years of Jagger/Taylor collaborations. Winter is one, along with Moonlight Mile and Til The Next Goodbye. I don't necessarily mean songwriting per se, but the two of them were definitely the main band members crafting these songs in the studio, with some interesting results. Time Waits For No One is another one.

This is true. Do you notice the ones you mention have a kind of dreamy melancholy? I really love that. Interesting that's where they tended to go in collaborations. (Except for Ventilator Blues).

The fact that Jagger loved "banging off" Taylor's playing is perhaps no more evident than in Hide Your Love on GHS. It's a great track, kind of call and response between them, really easy and joyous and -- I always think of Taylor surfing with the guitar, riding high on a great wave and then plunging down to to Jagger's refrain. And Jagger's groovin on it, "Alright boy! Yeah! C'mon!"

Great point about Hide Your Love.

Date: November 19, 2012 10:18

71Tele

I would say Keith is very prominent on Till The Next Goodbye. He is playing the slide + one of the acoustic guitars. Taylor's tex/mex-riffs on the choruses are very nice, though.

Having a good time in Oslo, btw, Tele?

Date: November 19, 2012 10:22

What do you know, a few of us seem to be of the same vintage -- I was 13 living in NYC when GHS came out. For me the soup image says it all about this album -- a cartoonishly dark stew. Yeah the band was weary, the album not cohesive musically or content-wise. Heartbreaker reminds me of Stevie Wonder's Superstition -- both kind of funky takes on a heavy subject but I just don't believe the Stones on this track even though I like the groove. They seemed so tongue in cheek in this period. But Winter is totally honest, a poetic reflection, like Coming Down Again. And Silver Train and Hide Your Love don't try to be anything more than standard rockers but so well done, I love them both. When I'm in the mood, GHS is fun to revisit cause the gems are in there.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-11-20 10:16 by blueyestoo.

Date: November 19, 2012 10:29

71Tele
blueyestoo
71Tele

Great point about Hide Your Love.

Why thank you!
Jagger/Taylor collaborations would make a great thread -- is there one?

Posted by: GravityBoy ()
Date: November 19, 2012 10:38

It was my first Stones album.

I was 14.

It was a Christmas present (one I requested).

It was serious, strange, mysterious by a bunch of cool looking serious mysterious guys (Angie video) who had a lot of history behind them.

Gravitas.

This was serious music.

This wasn't glam rock, David Cassidy, Jackson 5 or the Osmonds.

I wasn't in Kansas any more and I've never been back since.

I love this album.

Note: It took me about 4 more years to realise that "Star Star" lyrics weren't "You're a star proper star proper star" although it did puzzle me what that could mean. :-)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-11-19 10:38 by GravityBoy.

Posted by: Glammy ()
Date: November 19, 2012 15:45

I find GHS pretty good. Personally, I like it better than Beggars Banquet.

Date: November 19, 2012 15:58

DandelionPowderman
71Tele

I would say Keith is very prominent on Till The Next Goodbye. He is playing the slide + one of the acoustic guitars. Taylor's tex/mex-riffs on the choruses are very nice, though.

Having a good time in Oslo, btw, Tele?

Yes! Except for the shockingly expensive food, that is. But it's a lovely town. Thanks.

Posted by: lunar!!! ()
Date: November 19, 2012 21:51

tomk

yup--bought it when i was ten years old (!) with allowance money, brought it home and played it once before my father kicked in the door,broke the record into pieces, and said'@#$%^ those English faggots".....went out and bought another one and still have it-with poster!!....(years later HE went out and bought 'some girls' and loved it so go figure!!)...

Posted by: LieB ()
Date: November 19, 2012 22:19

JMARKO
Find or download Captain Acid's "How Do You Hide Your Love?" 2CD set of Goat's Head era alternate mixes, versions, and outtakes. Most of the versions there blow away the final products.

How Do You Hide Your Love? on Hungercity

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: November 19, 2012 22:22

The first and last track on this album are the weakest for sure. However, MAN I Love this album!!!

[thepowergoats.com]

Date: November 19, 2012 22:23

My band wouldn't be called The Powergoats were it not for this album.

[thepowergoats.com]

Posted by: Starr ()
Date: November 19, 2012 23:22

for me Winter is the masterpiece in there, a melancholy but special album. I seem to remember they said it was recorded in Jamaica and they didn't have backing singers but it was all their own voices? I love the interchanging voices of Mick and Keef on Coming Down Again. If you are in the right mood its a great album.

See you all next Sunday...

Posted by: stupidguy2 ()
Date: November 19, 2012 23:40

blueyestoo
71Tele

Winter and If You REally Want to Be My Friend are great examples of that. I always loved the Jagger/Taylor partnership in this very brief period. Jagger had a great feel for minor/minor 7 chords - pretty chords, whether he was playing on the piano or guitar - and Taylor was so great with creating beautiful lines off those chords. Whereas Keith would use more blues-based chords..A-7, D-7 etc...
I still wonder if that riff in Plundered My Soul is a Mick riff....those minor 7 chords have that meloncholy vibe.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: November 19, 2012 23:42

jamesfdouglas

and i think that's true for all other bands....can't imagine any of them would be called the powergoats if not for it....

Date: November 19, 2012 23:52

StonesTod
jamesfdouglas

and i think that's true for all other bands....can't imagine any of them would be called the powergoats if not for it....

I have to keep reading this sentence... just when I think I know what it means.. it's gone... someone... help me...

Date: November 19, 2012 23:52

Shushity shush-shush!

[thepowergoats.com]

Date: November 19, 2012 23:56

Let me try...

if it were not for Ram by Paul McCartney no band would not never be called The Ramones...

..no wait..

Date: November 20, 2012 00:01

Guys, stop taking the piss. Are you guys mis-reading? All I meant was the "Goats" part of "Powergoats" (my band's name) is in reference to the LP "Goats Head Soup" as a tribute.

[thepowergoats.com]

Date: November 20, 2012 00:03

jamesfdouglas
Guys, stop taking the piss. Are you guys mis-reading? All I meant was the "Goats" part of "Powergoats" (my band's name) is in reference to the LP "Goats Head Soup" as a tribute.

Where did Power come from?

Was it 1000 Volts of Holt?

Date: November 20, 2012 00:17

No. The Power of Gravity, boy.

[thepowergoats.com]

Date: November 20, 2012 00:20

Gravityboy is an anagram of Beggars Banquet.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2359
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home