Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 4 of 5
Luxury
Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: February 6, 2020 15:15

This is such a great song.The playing by the band is great.They should have released it as a single .Is it true Keith plays all the guitars? Because on the last 30 seconds especially,the lead guitar sounds like Taylornot Keith.I have never heard Keith play like that.

Re: Luxury
Date: February 6, 2020 15:24

Taylor1
This is such a great song.The playing by the band is great.They should have released it as a single .Is it true Keith plays all the guitars? Because on the last 30 seconds especially,the lead guitar sounds like Taylornot Keith.I have never heard Keith play like that.

I don't know. However there are some moments in Rolling Stones' music where Keith sounds like Taylor and Taylor sounds like Keith. That's what you get sometimes when you have played together for 5 years.

Posted by: CousinC ()
Date: February 6, 2020 15:41

One of my favourite tracks on IORR.
I like it.

Date: February 6, 2020 15:51

Here's the Luxury track talk-thread: [iorr.org]

The index to all tracks is found under "Forum links of interest" on the front page of iorr. Same with album talks etc.

Re: Track Talk: Luxury
Posted by: nick1970 ()
Date: February 9, 2020 17:18

I think this is a brilliant song. I have played it loads of times from the album... surely it doesn’t matter if it’s reggae or not. It shows a sense of humour.. and I like it upbeat and piano and guitar sound good. If you can’t rock me has a sense of humour as well...

Posted by: peoplewitheyes ()
Date: February 9, 2020 23:01

I absolutely love this track: the groove, the lyrics, those ragged harmonies.

My only complaint is the muddy sound.

Posted by: JordyLicks96 ()
Date: February 9, 2020 23:16

This is honestly a top 10 favorite Stones song of mine. It's just so catchy and an underrated classic from the boys.

Luxury - 4:20 or 5:01
Posted by: bmandolini ()
Date: January 4, 2024 18:45

Hi everyone, I saw that the song LUXURY is 4:20 long as reported on the IORR album but there is a 5:01 long version
Why are there two different lengths? Thank you

Re: Luxury - 4:20 or 5:01
Posted by: Kingbeebuzz ()
Date: January 4, 2024 18:55

Charlie just didn't want to stop ?

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: January 4, 2024 19:21

bmandolini
Hi everyone, I saw that the song LUXURY is 4:20 long as reported on the IORR album but there is a 5:01 long version
Why are there two different lengths? Thank you

Similar to Slave ... The original LP versions were the shorter edits of the songs and on later CD releases they included the longer versions. I'm not sure that I've ever seen the reason for it. I guess they figured they had more space on the CD to include longer versions.

Posted by: bmandolini ()
Date: January 4, 2024 19:28

Thank you, you gave me a really perfect answer

Date: January 4, 2024 19:35

Same with Wanna Hold You.

Posted by: ironbelly ()
Date: January 4, 2024 20:19

According to Japanese booklet that was included for Japanese only SHM-CDs (UICY-40031 or UICY-76017) Luxury (as well as Time Waits For No One) was trimmed and Fingerprint File was speed up to fit to LP. The initial master tape was kind of too long (49:12) to fit the LP with reasonable sound quality.

Thus, original LP and old CBS CD have Luxury 4:31 and FF 6:37
Virgin CD - Luxury 5:01 and FF 6:37
Japanese flat transfer - Luxury 5:03, FF 7:01
TWFNO is complete only on CDs that originated from flat transfer 6:48

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2024-01-04 20:28 by ironbelly.

Date: January 4, 2024 22:27

DandelionPowderman

Actually Wanna Hold You was originally released with both versions on LP, from what I understand ... USA version had the shorter one and the UK version had the longer one.

Posted by: BlueTurns2Grey ()
Date: January 4, 2024 22:41

ironbelly

TWFNO is complete only on CDs that originated from flat transfer 6:48

The complete outro version of TWFNO is also on the LP "Time Waits For No One", the 8-Track version is longer than CD and shorter than SACD and to make it more difficult, we have different ways of fading out. A brilliant track for collectors.

Date: January 5, 2024 00:18

LeonidP
DandelionPowderman

Actually Wanna Hold You was originally released with both versions on LP, from what I understand ... USA version had the shorter one and the UK version had the longer one.

I thought only the cassette had the long version. I had the cassette, and later I got the vinyl with the shorter version.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: January 5, 2024 00:49

ROCKMAN

Date: January 5, 2024 01:00

DandelionPowderman
LeonidP
DandelionPowderman

I thought only the cassette had the long version. I had the cassette, and later I got the vinyl with the shorter version.

That's what it states on Track Talk for Wanna Hold You:
Track Talk -- Wanna Hold You
so I guess you're right.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: January 5, 2024 10:18

I've never had much interest in this timings stuff, but are most differences due to how quickly the track is faded out ?

Now that's something that has often frustrated me.

Tracks faded out with the band still in full glorious flow , leaving us to wish that they'd let us hear a little more.

[Rocks off is a prime example ]

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: January 5, 2024 10:31

There's an instrumental backing-track of Paint it, Black, that features a full-ending. and not a fade-out. I'm sure it's the same take as the released version. So, my question: why have they not released this, complete with the vocals? It may not exist, I suppose. The shortened, U.S. edit of Paint it, Black, irritates me, too. The U.K. single, with the longer fade, is the only way to go.

Date: January 5, 2024 17:38

Spud
I've never had much interest in this timings stuff, but are most differences due to how quickly the track is faded out ?

Tracks faded out with the band still in full glorious flow , leaving us to wish that they'd let us hear a little more.

In the case of Luxury, yes, a longer fade out ... but that's not the case with Wanna Hold you, where there's a complete extra verse, and with Slave, there's a full extra 90 seconds of kick-ass'ness!

Date: January 6, 2024 03:15

So looked through this thread and thought of something.

Weren't 8 tracks around at this time? Maybe there was a longer version to fill in the space.

It was common that tracks were shuffled around, and some songs were longer to fill in the time.

Not sure if this is the case here but it may be a thought.

I think there are other songs that are longer on 8 track than the album.

Posted by: exilestones ()
Date: January 6, 2024 03:44

Luxury is a longer version of the song (a little more at the end of the song - more Mick Taylor lead). Same song but a little more of it.

Paint It Black had a shorter (3:22) and longer version (3:45) released. The longer version was only released in mono. I believe the longer Paint It Black is on Forty Licks.

An even longer version of Paint It Black came from the game Guitar Hero (3:50) and has a cold ending making it a little longer than the version released on Rolling Stones albums.

Posted by: wiredallnight ()
Date: January 6, 2024 12:30

exilestones

An even longer version of Paint It Black came from the game Guitar Hero (3:50) and has a cold ending making it a little longer than the version released on Rolling Stones albums.

According to blakeeik's "Rarities Done Right" there are also "Game" versions with definite endings of Sympathy For The Devil, Stray Cat Blues and Gimme Shelter:

Date: January 6, 2024 14:09

exilestones
Luxury is a longer version of the song (a little more at the end of the song - more Mick Taylor lead). Same song but a little more of it.

Paint It Black had a shorter (3:22) and longer version (3:45) released. The longer version was only released in mono. I believe the longer Paint It Black is on Forty Licks.

Taylor doesn't play on Luxury.

Posted by: GerardHennessy ()
Date: January 6, 2024 17:21

I am always staggered by, impressed by, and in awe of, the extraordinary knowledge and expertise possessed by so many good people who post on this site.

My very sincere compliments, and thanks, to all involved.

Posted by: JimmyTheSaint ()
Date: January 6, 2024 21:56

Spud

I wish the outro to Sway went on for a few more minutes.

Date: January 6, 2024 23:52

wiredallnight
exilestones

According to blakeeik's "Rarities Done Right" there are also "Game" versions with definite endings of Sympathy For The Devil, Stray Cat Blues and Gimme Shelter:

I am guessing not actual Stones recorded endings, but rather something done w/ audio tools by others/game company. Just my guess.

Posted by: wiredallnight ()
Date: January 7, 2024 00:10

LeonidP
wiredallnight
exilestones

I am guessing not actual Stones recorded endings, but rather something done w/ audio tools by others/game company. Just my guess.

Yes, definitively IMO. It does not sound like it was played by the Stones like this but rather like made by someone else with a computer. They also edited out inappropriate words (for children) in HTW. You can find all these songs on YouTube. Search for "Guitar Hero" + song title.

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: January 7, 2024 00:19

Moonlight Mile was supposedly edited down a few minutes

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 4 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2131
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home