Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...2627282930313233343536...LastNext
Current Page: 31 of 43
Re: Rolling stones secret gig In Paris
Posted by: DoughboyUK ()
Date: October 26, 2012 18:01

micwer
71Tele
I'm going to go out on a limb here and say I rather like the version of JJF played at this show. It's a slower tempo, yes, like the original record, and Ronnie is playing the organ or mellotron parts from the studio version. I think it's rather cool.

Totally agree. It doesn't have to have 15 people playing with the brass section at full blast. I like this quasi-bluesy version.

Agreed. I would like slightly quicker but this is much better...in front of 30thousand thou i think it will gradually become rushed again.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: October 26, 2012 18:01

vermontoffender
Maybe best to compare this, and any other 2012 warm-ups, to the Toronto-Phoenix, Archive show.

I think Ronnie sounds great. I miss Mick Taylor about as much as I miss Brian Jones; which is to say, not at all.

Well, I miss him every single time they try to play Tumbling Dice or anything else from that era.

Posted by: mgguy ()
Date: October 26, 2012 18:02

I'm with Tele, quite a funky JJF, fits the room with the groove, baby!

Posted by: open-g ()
Date: October 26, 2012 18:07

I suppose that's Chuck singing the JJF backing line all on his own! now thats creepy eye popping smiley
Keith & Ron should do backing - when the rest of the (ahem) crew is absent.

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: October 26, 2012 18:24

latvianinexile
gotdablouse

There's the Latvija scarf again.

See the smiles on thier faces Mathijs? That's all that matters. I feel sorry for you? You're a very jealous man.

Posted by: superrevvy ()
Date: October 26, 2012 18:24

bv: "Jumping Jack Flash: Strong, fast, short, tight"

hmmm

uh-oh

For the moment at least, I take back my professed wish to be at the NJ PPV show,
even at high cost if need be.

I'll watch it at home.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2012-10-26 18:32 by superrevvy.

Posted by: MrMonte ()
Date: October 26, 2012 18:29

Doxa
About "Jumpin' Jack Flash" clip.

Yeah, they sound a bit tired, but after-all it is the last number, so that might be natural.

But there is another thing that comes to my mind. The stage and place is too small for this number - I think they have mastered this number as a grand-final or starter of their huge stages and shows, and they can't just 'keep it small', and end up sounding like the final gear is missing. The same problem can be heard in Toronto archive release. I guess that can also be true of all their 'war horses', but seemingly JJF suffers most. Those songs just don't fit to 'little circles' any longer. Jagger looks like not knowing what to do, trying to hold his horses instead of running all over the place.

So this version here, if any, really sounds like a warming up the engine, and testing it. The smoking version where all the cylinders are on, demands a 'real' or 'serious' show to happen.

- Doxa

now here's where we disagree. I just posted on the phoenix thread that I LIKED the way they played JJF, hearkening back to the old days. So I disagree on that, and I think it's fine here. It's not the "smoking" version we hear as the show-closer at the stadiums, it's more refined appropriate for the venue and truer to the spirit of the original.

Now that said, this particular version they do seem a bit tired, and Keith is off on spots...but I think they've got the idea right.

And don't forget, they've spent millions on rehearsals alone - they'll be fine!

Posted by: micwer ()
Date: October 26, 2012 18:38

MrMonte

And don't forget, they've spent millions on rehearsals alone - they'll be fine!

Best post of the day

Posted by: TheBlockbuster ()
Date: October 26, 2012 18:38

a bigger bang tour revisited?
just a bit older this time.

Posted by: maloup ()
Date: October 26, 2012 18:47

More Hot Rocks
latvianinexile
gotdablouse

There's the Latvija scarf again.

How many Stones fans from the early days where there in the
first row.No one I guess.
But that's logical,these fans don't go anymore to hear and see
these elitair cheaters

See the smiles on thier faces Mathijs? That's all that matters. I feel sorry for you? You're a very jealous man.

Posted by: StonedInTokyo ()
Date: October 26, 2012 18:49

How wonderful to see The Rolling Stones performing live in Paris in 2012, but
if I read one more post that mentions Mick Taylor I'm throwing myself out the @#$%& window.

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: October 26, 2012 18:51

LastStopThisTown
I'm sure it was amazing to be there. But, I agree with the 'boring' comment. Just sounds empty. It's a bit of Keith track and Keith's either not in to it or not bothered. Probably thinks 15euros doesn't sound right...

That one cracked me up, maybe that's why Keith sometimes gave us the mean eye, pay up or I'll chase you around with my Telecaster ;-)

Someone commented on Mick's energy and how it must have felt...words fail me to convey what it felt like to see him work the crowd on that tiny stage, not sure about the back of the room but the front rooms were at his beck and call that's for sure ;-)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-10-26 19:52 by gotdablouse.

Posted by: TheBlockbuster ()
Date: October 26, 2012 18:52

Posted by: StonesTod ()

StonedInTokyo
if I read one more post that mentions Mick Taylor I'm throwing myself out the @#$%& window.

what's wrong with mentioning Mick Taylor?

...hope you had a soft landing....

Posted by: rebelrebel ()

StonedInTokyo

Hope you're on the ground floor.

Posted by: JumpinJeppeFlash ()
Date: October 26, 2012 19:01

StonedInTokyo

thumbs up

He is not a stone anymore, but most people from the older generation here live in the past.

Posted by: roby ()
Date: October 26, 2012 19:06

How JJF can be sad and boring without fireworks, explosion, big lights and huge stage ...

For New-York and London, thanks to provide the big big show.

For the eyes at least. We no longer talk about music...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-10-26 19:30 by roby.

Posted by: cc ()
Date: October 26, 2012 19:16

71Tele
I'm going to go out on a limb here and say I rather like the version of JJF played at this show. It's a slower tempo, yes, like the original record, and Ronnie is playing the organ or mellotron parts from the studio version. I think it's rather cool.

I think he's been playing that part a long time, no? Maybe it's just coming through clearer with the smaller band.

Posted by: rollingloc ()
Date: October 26, 2012 19:24

the slowest tempo on JJF i've heard is at the double door. But keith was stricking his tele like a demon...

Posted by: vudicus ()
Date: October 26, 2012 19:29

rollingloc
the slowest tempo on JJF i've heard is at the double door. But keith was stricking his tele like a demon...

The Altamont version is also very slow compared to most.

Posted by: big4 ()
Date: October 26, 2012 19:33

TheBlockbuster

Shattered sounds labored here but man Whip really smokes. The tempo on Whip doesn't seem any slower the studio version although the '78/'81 live versions were much faster-but they're all a bit older now and don't do as much coke.

Date: October 26, 2012 19:50

I wish they had sounded this way in the last shows I have attended.

They rock and specially roll. Whip and JJF are not softer but hotter and more insinuating, more sensuous...

Posted by: Justin ()
Date: October 26, 2012 19:59

The JJF clip is pretty cool. A lot of stuff to digest there. It's difficult to see a "focused" Keith stick to playing the guitar and limit the posing because it can be easily confused as though he's not "into it." We've been so used to the posing for a while now.

Bottom line...do I see the guy from 2007? Do I see the guy from the Hubert Sumlin tribute...or the Chuck Berry tribute? Aboslutely not. But the guy has absolutely aged since the last tour. He's up there playing like a 68 year old would and frankly there's nothing wrong with that (but does that justify $800 tickets...ehhh...hat's a whole other issue!). The months of rehearsals have apparently paid off for Keith: he has reacquainted himself with the guitar again. The chord changes are strong with still a lot of that same old force; a cool little double-stop fill right before the middle section at the end there. He's engaged and his fingers are moving the way he wants them to.

And that's all I need to officially finally put to rest the idea that Keith can't "play the guitar anymore."

Posted by: marclaff ()
Date: October 26, 2012 20:04

Hello everybody,
A guardian angel was bent over me yesterday.
As you know (or not) i'm the one who was with Bjornulf at the Trabendo.
Around 10.30 am i read BV writing about a spare tix after his long awaiting. So i send him a message asking him to think about me. We know each other since 89 . Sitting next to him at the Shea stadium, NYC, he told me about an international fan club he wanted to do (at that time his fanzine was mostly for norwegians). Then we met sometimes on StonesLand...
I have just to wait and hope.
At 2;30 pm my cell phone rings, unknown number then a voice in english, you can guess the rest.
Waouh, just waouh!
Little problem, i'm at work in Châteauroux (250 kms south of Paris) : can you wait for me until 6.30 - 7.00? Yes Marc. So i'm arriving.
My boss is comprehensive, i understand your situation, you can go.
3 hours driving including a traffic jam but i arrive in time.

After the show, we stayed together writing a part of the review of the show, so i'll add some images and thoughts.

Before the opening song, Pierre put the black SG Gibson on the stage, i say to BV : with this guitar Keith is goin' to play a Chuck Berry's song or IORR. He answers, so it's gonna be the second song as Keith will arrive on stage with a guitar.
But no, like the good old days (until 73 i think), Keith takes the stage, holds the SG and then Route 66 and IORR.
By the way, Keith keeps this guitar for the 5 first songs then a telecaster (open tuning) for D&G, SMU and BS, Micawber for TD, the SG (or another one with a capo on the 7th fret) for MR and i don't know which one for JJF.
After Route66, Mick is asking : what's next? Keith looks in his direction and begins IORR before Mick could read the set-list : a kind of, you know that one, taste my first uppercut (in a frienly way i mean).
Lots of smiles between them.
The five Stones are dressed in black or dark blue.
When Mick takes off his black shirt he says something like : i look like Jonnhy Cash with that shirt.
Many songs were played "down" tempo : the beginning of MR specially
During TD, i have the impression that Keith teachs me the song in my cellar : so simple, so cool, very focused, no noodling during the "horn part".
I see, just in front of me Daryl changing his bass guitar a lot and singing? sometimes (i guess Chuck sings also on the other side of the stage).
And between Keith and Daryl, i have a great spot seeing Charlie : it's the first time i'm so close to him, even on the B stage, he's close but much higher and behind the plexiglass. This time i can see that his arms don't move, he hits the skin only with his fist... but it hurts...at least for the skin.
Next to come

Date: October 26, 2012 20:07

StonedInTokyo

The show was great but it would have been greater with Mick Taylor.

Your turn.

Date: October 26, 2012 20:08

JumpinJeppeFlash
StonedInTokyo

thumbs up

He is not a stone anymore, but most people from the older generation here live in the past.

No, most people have better taste than you.

Posted by: erikjjf ()
Date: October 26, 2012 20:08

Thanks for sharing your story, marclaff!

Posted by: JumpinJeppeFlash ()
Date: October 26, 2012 20:12

71Tele
JumpinJeppeFlash
StonedInTokyo

thumbs up

Get over it, Ronnie Wood is a real stone and MT not.

Date: October 26, 2012 20:13

emotionalbarbecue
I wish they had sounded this way in the last shows I have attended.

They rock and specially roll. Whip and JJF are not softer but hotter and more insinuating, more sensuous...

jumping jack flash was sensuous? did i read this correctly?

Date: October 26, 2012 20:15

JumpinJeppeFlash
71Tele
JumpinJeppeFlash
StonedInTokyo

thumbs up

Get over it, Ronnie Wood is a real stone and MT not.

Great Taste! Live in the Past! Great Taste!...and so forth.....carry on...

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...2627282930313233343536...LastNext
Current Page: 31 of 43

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1236
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home