Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Who's playing bass on Doom & Gloom?
Posted by: micwer ()
Date: October 15, 2012 23:35

Is it Darryl?

Re: Who's playing bass on Doom & Gloom?
Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: October 15, 2012 23:39

The bass player most likely.....

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: LastStopThisTown ()
Date: October 15, 2012 23:40

I hope it's a computer. The guys on here would love that. winking smiley

Posted by: firebird ()
Date: October 15, 2012 23:41

Chuck Leavell

Posted by: lunar!!! ()
Date: October 15, 2012 23:58

..Announcing the surprise and triumphal return of Ricky Fenson!!!....

Posted by: stonesnow ()
Date: October 16, 2012 00:33

Darryl wasn't seen leaving the studio with them--oh wait, he left through the back, out the servants' entrance.

Posted by: DrPete ()
Date: October 16, 2012 04:08

Brian Jones Hologram!

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: October 16, 2012 07:48

It's so non-memorable, who cares?

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: October 16, 2012 09:30

I love the bass on it. I think "bravo" regarding the bass when I listen to the song. Which lately has been almost constantly.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: October 16, 2012 09:35

Will Byman.

Date: October 16, 2012 09:47

Probably Mick...

Posted by: micawber ()
Date: October 16, 2012 10:06

DandelionPowderman
Probably Mick...

I doubt that. He must have itchy fingers from counting all the money he makes every day.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-10-16 10:06 by micawber.

Posted by: Britney ()
Date: October 16, 2012 10:24

It's a great song but the bassline isn't very distinctive. I'd say Darryl or another sessionplayer.

www.rsundercover.eu

Posted by: gwen ()
Date: October 16, 2012 10:43

Darryl was at Suresnes so I'd say it's him playing. But I wasn't in the studio so...

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: October 16, 2012 11:03

Britney
It's a great song but the bassline isn't very distinctive. I'd say Darryl or another sessionplayer.

All Darryl's bassline with Stones isn't very distinctive... eye rolling smiley

Date: October 16, 2012 11:12

KRiffhard
Britney

That's a good point. Everybody states that Darryl is an expert excellent bass player. I do not doubt it. Ok. He sure is technically light years away from Wyman. Ok. He played with Miles Davis and so on. Ok. But I have never felt anything while hearing him. Unlike Wyman.

Date: October 16, 2012 11:30

emotionalbarbecue
KRiffhard
Britney

That's a good point. Everybody states that Darryl is an expert excellent bass player. I do not doubt it. Ok. He sure is technically light years away from Wyman. Ok. He played with Miles Davis and so on. Ok. But I have never felt anything while hearing him. Unlike Wyman.

Same here. Could easily do without him. Bring Bill back.

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: October 16, 2012 11:39

emotionalbarbecue
KRiffhard
Britney

I agree. He is an excellent bass player but his playing is too monotonous for the Stones sound. Flea would be perfect

Posted by: Blueranger ()
Date: October 16, 2012 13:50

Darryl is very diplomatic. That's what it's all about. He know that Wyman's place is a big void to fill. Darryl could play out Wyman any day, but he choose not to, simply by respect. Wyman was a destinctive part of The Stones, Darryl is a session player for them. If he was all over the place, he would take away the focus of the four real members of the band.

Posted by: deardoctor ()
Date: October 16, 2012 13:59

It could be Don Was. It wouldn´t be the first time

Date: October 16, 2012 14:20

Blueranger
Darryl is very diplomatic. That's what it's all about. He know that Wyman's place is a big void to fill. Darryl could play out Wyman any day, but he choose not to, simply by respect. Wyman was a destinctive part of The Stones, Darryl is a session player for them. If he was all over the place, he would take away the focus of the four real members of the band.

It's not about "playing out" or "being all over the place" - Darryl has tried both (bass solo Stray Cat Blues + +) - it's about making musical styles fit to swing.

That's Daryl's problem, imo.

Date: October 16, 2012 14:36

They ended being musically relevant long ago, so it don't matter anyway who is playing what and what for...

Date: October 16, 2012 14:41

micawber
They ended being musically relevant long ago, so it don't matter anyway who is playing what and what for...

Well, they just became relevant again on the charts, no matter what you and I think smiling smiley

Date: October 16, 2012 14:42

DandelionPowderman
It's not about "playing out" or "being all over the place" - Darryl has tried both (bass solo Stray Cat Blues + +) - it's about making musical styles fit to swing.

He swings perfectly. The Stones thinks the same obviously.

The problem lies at Richards, Wood and Watts. Because if there is one thing The Rolling Stones can't do, it is to "swing". They are playing very stiff and akward -which is their charm, mind you.

They come from a diffent time and culture than Darryl, where it was not about beats per minute and being "in time", but about feeling. Darryl is shcooled, The Stones are not.

As a trained musician, Darryl can fit any style. Whereas members of The Stones fits one style -The Rolling Stones Style. (I know about Charlie's jazz, but he isn't a very good jazz drummer either, though fine enough).

If you put any trained bass player to play with The Stones, they will find the same problem as Darryl: They had an unshcooled bass player for 30 years, who's shoes are impossible to fill because he was not trained to swing. Then there is only option left: Be diplomatic.

Date: October 16, 2012 14:50

Blueranger
DandelionPowderman

The problem lies at Richards, Wood and Watts. Because if there is one thing The Rolling Stones can't do, it is to "swing". They are playing very stiff and akward -which is their charm, mind you.

They come from a diffent time and culture than Darryl, where it was not about beats per minute and being "in time", but about feeling. Darryl is shcooled, The Stones are not.

As a trained musician, Darryl can fit any style. Whereas members of The Stones fits one style -The Rolling Stones Style. (I know about Charlie's jazz, but he isn't a very good jazz drummer either, though fine enough).

If you put any trained bass player to play with The Stones, they will find the same problem as Darryl: They had an unshcooled bass player for 30 years, who's shoes are impossible to fill because he was not trained to swing. Then there is only option left: Be diplomatic.

This is pure BS. Saw Bill Wyman on Sunday with a lot of well-trained musicians. Tell you what, he STILL SWINGS. And he will with the Stones as always.

Date: October 16, 2012 15:03

I'm not saying Wyman doesn't swing. I'm saying he is not "trained" to swing, unlike Darryl, which gives big differences playing-wise. They come from two different eras.

Date: October 16, 2012 15:14

Blueranger
DandelionPowderman

You got it backwards...

One style? Did you get what the Stones are all about? Listen to Black and blue, for christ's sake, jeez!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-10-16 15:15 by DandelionPowderman.

Date: October 16, 2012 15:17

DandelionPowderman
Blueranger
DandelionPowderman

You got it backwards...

One style? Did you get what the Stones are all about? Listen to Black and blue, for christ's sake, jeez!

Yes, I have listened. They can play many styles but in their own style. Get it?

Date: October 16, 2012 15:17

A band with Joey Satriani, Steve Vai, Mark King and Simon Phillips would certainly be a wet dream for people who are interested in skilled musicians - but will they swing, and have they ever done that?

It's only to put on When The Whip Comes Down from Hampton 1981 to understand what Darryl never will be able to do.

Posted by: 2000 LYFH ()
Date: October 16, 2012 15:32

DandelionPowderman
A band with Joey Satriani, Steve Vai, Mark King and Simon Phillips would certainly be a wet dream for people who are interested in skilled musicians - but will they swing, and have they ever done that?

It's only to put on When The Whip Comes Down from Hampton 1981 to understand what Darryl never will be able to do.

Such a true statement - nothing has to be said again about this...

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1470
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home