Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Who's playing bass on Doom & Gloom?
Posted by: 2000 LYFH ()
Date: October 16, 2012 15:33

micwer
Is it Darryl?

It's Charlie on Bass since he did not play Drums. He had to do something!

Posted by: Blueranger ()
Date: October 16, 2012 15:35

That is what I mean. Perfect example you have by naming When The Whip.
Wyman was so integrated a part of the group, that he can never be replaced.
That is why I respect Darryl, because he is not trying to fill Wymans shoes, he acts a backing musician. Though I'm not doubting that he could dominate if he chose to. And I have heard him in a lot of other bands, and I am not in doubt still, that he is one of the best best bass players in the world. Wyman is the best bassist -for The Stones.

Posted by: roby ()
Date: October 16, 2012 15:52

And Keith, he played guitar ?

spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Date: October 16, 2012 15:54

Blueranger
That is what I mean. Perfect example you have by naming When The Whip.
Wyman was so integrated a part of the group, that he can never be replaced.
That is why I respect Darryl, because he is not trying to fill Wymans shoes, he acts a backing musician. Though I'm not doubting that he could dominate if he chose to. And I have heard him in a lot of other bands, and I am not in doubt still, that he is one of the best best bass players in the world. Wyman is the best bassist -for The Stones.

THAT I agree with smileys with beer

Posted by: Blueranger ()
Date: October 16, 2012 16:12

hot smiley

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: October 16, 2012 16:20

Not sure who's playing except it sure isn't Bill Wyman.

Darryl is doing exactly what Keith and Mick want him to do. I wouldn't attack his style or chops with the Stones, he is certainly capable of playing more like Wyman but he is a sympathetic player and plays what works to make the others happy, imho. He comes from the Chuck Leavell school of Stonesmanship. peace

Date: October 16, 2012 16:28

Naturalust

Darryl is doing exactly what Keith and Mick want him to do. I wouldn't attack his style or chops with the Stones, he is certainly capable of playing more like Wyman but he is a sympathetic player and plays what works to make the others happy, imho. He comes from the Chuck Leavell school of Stonesmanship. peace

No one's attacking Darryl, and I think he does a fine job.

However, I think Mick and Keith are a bit lazy about how the bass should be included in the rhythm section. I suspect they're happy with Darryl doing his thing, playing in key.

Of course, Darryl is a magnificent player, and I've heard him with Miles Davis etc.

I'm not so sure it's that easy to play like Bill, neither to play like Ronnie and Keith for skilled musicians. It's VERY hard to limit oneself musically - and to fool around with the rhythm like they do is particularly hard. Not hard in terms of technical challenges - certainly not - but it's more like ditching your fine technique, to start playing with the perspective of a beginner or a knowledge-hungry student - not easy!

Date: October 16, 2012 16:48

2000 LYFH
DandelionPowderman
A band with Joey Satriani, Steve Vai, Mark King and Simon Phillips would certainly be a wet dream for people who are interested in skilled musicians - but will they swing, and have they ever done that?

It's only to put on When The Whip Comes Down from Hampton 1981 to understand what Darryl never will be able to do.

Such a true statement - nothing has to be said again about this...

I agree. Just a bit more: "When the Whip Comes Down" (Live version) – 1978 Tour. 7th track of Sucking in the seventies. (I write it again: Darryl is technically better (light years away) than any stones member. But Wyman (I do not know why, I do not know how) adds the pixie dust, so to speak. If Darryl is only diplomatic.....gosh...he should be bored to tears....

Posted by: LERIFFHUMAIN ()
Date: October 16, 2012 16:58

i really don't care who is the bass player !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: October 16, 2012 18:01

I don't have any doubt that the bass on Doom and Gloom is played by Darryl Jones.

C

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: October 16, 2012 18:02

Naturalust

So Chuck is the Doom and Darryl is the Gloom?

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: October 16, 2012 18:16

Munichhilton
Naturalust

So Chuck is the Doom and Darryl is the Gloom?

Thats a stretch , more like Jagger is the Doom and Virgin is the Gloom. peace

Posted by: TheDailyBuzzherd ()
Date: October 16, 2012 18:23

Is "The Complete Works of The Rolling Stones Database" Nico's site?

The other musicians in addition to the core four are Darryl and Chuck.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-10-16 18:24 by TheDailyBuzzherd.

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: October 16, 2012 18:24

And Keith is the 'Shroom.

[thepowergoats.com]

Posted by: TheDailyBuzzherd ()
Date: October 16, 2012 18:30

Nope - Jones is!

Posted by: VT22 ()
Date: October 16, 2012 18:34

DandelionPowderman
A band with Joey Satriani, Steve Vai, Mark King and Simon Phillips would certainly be a wet dream for people who are interested in skilled musicians - but will they swing, and have they ever done that?

It's only to put on When The Whip Comes Down from Hampton 1981 to understand what Darryl never will be able to do.

Get your musical intuition straight. I have seen Mark King several times, he swings and plays like hell, he also has a great rock sound and groove. Making it funky/slapping is just his trademark, Level 42. Listen to his amazing down to earth sound - between the lines - and you will understand that Bill will never be able to do that. The Stones could use MK. The same goes for Darryl and Vai or Satriani btw. These guys are skilled and talented enough to copy and swing like Bill or Ron etc if they were asked to. Blame Charlie, not Darryl.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: October 16, 2012 19:09

Bill could take what was sometimes a guitar shambles on stage and envelop it in a warm, rubbery rhythm. In the studio he added emotional elements to songs with just the right well placed note. Daryll not so much. I don't know why.

Posted by: micwer ()
Date: October 16, 2012 19:25

Wow, a lot of hate on this thread!

I still like the bass line on D&G... Not the finest of all times (let's be real, this is 2012's Stones we're talking about), but still pretty good.

Posted by: GravityBoy ()
Date: October 16, 2012 19:30

24FPS
Bill could take what was sometimes a guitar shambles on stage and envelop it in a warm, rubbery rhythm. In the studio he added emotional elements to songs with just the right well placed note. Daryll not so much. I don't know why.

Bill loves Willie Dixon.

It always showed.

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: October 16, 2012 19:46

woodie
jeroen

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1280
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home