Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

WHO'S PLAYING
Posted by: bestfour ()
Date: October 13, 2012 21:53

Here we go again, WHO'S PLAYING, WHO'S NOT PLAYING !!!!!

We already had Keiths not playing the lead guitar solo on SFTD on BB
We already had Keiths being helped by Blondie under the stage on various gigs
We already had Keiths hands/fingers are crippled

NOW HE'S NOT ON THE NEW SINGLE, JESUS WHEN DOES THE KEITH BASHING STOP, CAN'T YOU
GUYS GO AND START YOUR THREADS ON THE MONKEES FORUM

I've listened to the song a few times now and I am 99% certain Keith is nowhere to be found on this track. I've played guitar for years and studied his playing inside and out and I'm just not hearing him here. What I do hear is someone playing something that vaguely sounds like something Keith Richards might play, but missing the mark. There are certain figures in this song that Keith just wouldn't play. They aren't in his vocabulary. And given his general decline in playing over the years, especially after the "tree incident", I don't see him coming back and pulling this out out of nowhere. It's too smooth. Too controlled. My guess is that it's either Mick on rhythm and Ronnie on lead (the leads do sound like Ronnie), or it's Ronnie on all guitars. I would say it's most likely the former, though. Let's not forget, this IS a Mick penned song and Mick has recorded Keith-esque guitar parts over the years (Sad Sad Sad, for example). Hell, this is the same guy who wrote the riff to Brown Sugar. And Mick's playing has progressed over the years. I don't see it being too inconceivable that this could be Mick doing his best Keith impersonation.

As for Charlie, he's definitely not on the radio remix, You Tube lyric video. That's a drum machine or someone went in and recorded a really simple drum part and gave it weird production. It's just not his style on that version at all. As for the iTunes/album version...all I can say is that if that IS Charlie, it may be his most phoned in drum performance ever.

So what we basically got is a Mick solo song written to resemble a Stones song.

Now, I'm aware the press release for Grrr! stated that these new songs were the first time all four of the Stones had been together in the studio for a number of years. That can mean lots of things and doesn't necessarily mean they're all on this track. In fairness to Keith, we know One Last Shot is his tune so his guitar might show up on that one...but I really don't think he's on here.

Re: WHO'S PLAYING
Posted by: Fan Since 1964 ()
Date: October 13, 2012 22:20

I totally agree with you!

Been Stoned since 1964 and still am!

Posted by: marquess ()
Date: October 13, 2012 22:28

Not true.
You assume he will be 100% not playing on stage?!?!?

Posted by: crumbling_mice ()
Date: October 13, 2012 22:50

Yep I agree. I;ve listened to it maybe about 30 times since thursday and I'm convinced that Charlie is not he drumming, possibly Ron on guitars and at best a very tiny bit of Keith in one or two places.

Posted by: stonesdan60 ()
Date: October 13, 2012 23:24

I definitely hear Charlie. His style is there although I do think they looped him, cut and pasted, etc. for a certain sound. I'm pretty sure I hear Keith doing his open tuned on and off suspended chords but he's mixed very much at the same level as the other guitars so his playing sort of floats slightly beneath the surface of the overall mix. I hear Woody and Jagger on guitars for sure. The guitar solo may even be Jagger. I hear that Keith and Charlie are more evident in another mix that I haven't heard yet. Whatever the case, I believe it's a Stones recording with all Stones participating and the end result is one of the most infectious and enjoyable songs I've heard in a long time.

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: October 13, 2012 23:26

Keef... you better get the Winos into gear
jeroen

Posted by: TeddyB1018 ()
Date: October 13, 2012 23:43

They're all playing on this track.

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: October 14, 2012 00:06

Gary Oldman was in charge of rounding people up

Posted by: genco ()
Date: October 14, 2012 12:46

I think no Mick on vocals..... it sounds Don Was and then computer proccesing...
no keith, no Ron no Charlie.....
I think is Matt clifford and Chuck with Mick on the computers.
Keith and Charlie werent in Paris Studios. Pics they come out from studios are worked with Photoshop.

For next gigs at O2 there will be a group of musicians on backstage and the stones making playback.

Posted by: jeremias ()
Date: October 14, 2012 13:31

I like the song but my first thought was "is this really Keith how`s playing here i think not sounds more like Jaggers open G playing
Its hard to accept that our Hero is no longer in shape to do what we liked him to do but guys thats how life goes
Cheers Jay

Posted by: 2000 LYFH ()
Date: October 14, 2012 16:57

genco
I think no Mick on vocals..... it sounds Don Was and then computer proccesing...
no keith, no Ron no Charlie.....
I think is Matt clifford and Chuck with Mick on the computers.
Keith and Charlie werent in Paris Studios. Pics they come out from studios are worked with Photoshop.

For next gigs at O2 there will be a group of musicians on backstage and the stones making playback.

Finally someone is making sense, I think your on to somethingdrinking smiley

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1333
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home