Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...2829303132333435363738...LastNext
Current Page: 33 of 40
Re: "Doom And Gloom" Will Be Released This THURSDAY
Posted by: GravityBoy ()
Date: October 12, 2012 14:48

lougio
Give me back that Rock and Roll band that has always been the best live entertainment on the planet.

They have never been a straight Rock n Roll band - thank goodness.

Loads of quirky stuff.

I love "Shattered" for instance.

All that punk, funk, disco stuff they did as well.

The pop and pyschedelic stuff in the 60s.

They have mostly always tried to ride the zeitgeist.

Date: October 12, 2012 14:48

lougio
After reading many of the posts about this song it is obvious that the younger listners like it. As an old fan that has loved the Stones for more years than I care to remember, this is not what the Stones are about. This song belongs on one of Mick's solo albums. Give me back that Rock and Roll band that has always been the best live entertainment on the planet. When they finally decide to do some live shows I will be there and I know now I will have to sit through Gloom and Doom. To me all that does is take away a song I would want to hear.

What's "younger" in this context anyway?

Here we have people in their 40s and 60s really enjoying this track smileys with beer

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: October 12, 2012 14:53

DeeGee
I like it !

Reminds me of "You got me rockin'" which I liked too ;-D

Stop that complaining, fellas !

Cheers,

DeeGee

Are you sure DeeGee?!
And what about the horrible 'Everybody getting high'?? Unfortunately 'Goddess' style is very present in 'Gloom and Doom' sad smiley
Listen and then tell me:

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: October 12, 2012 14:53

Rockman
youtube hits 781,000 + and counting...looks like its a hit....Fracking WILD

Hits 883,777 in only one day!!! I don't know how many hours to go

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: October 12, 2012 15:00

Rockman

fracking Wild and on fire!!! song makes you dance...infectious...

Date: October 12, 2012 15:21

KRiffhard
DeeGee
I like it !

Cheers,

DeeGee

Are you sure DeeGee?!
And what about the horrible 'Everybody getting high'?? Unfortunately 'Goddess' style is very present in 'Gloom and Doom' sad smiley
Listen and then tell me:

You've said that a few times, but yet I fail to see it.

Guitars (a key element in RS-music) is not in any way similar to what's going on on Goddess...

Although the drum sound is "modern" on DAG, it sound nowhere like Everybody Getting High.

Obviously, Mick's vocals are light years better on DAG?

Would you care to elaborate why you find them so similar, could it be that both songs feature fake hand claps?

Ouch! Just listened to Getting High, the keyboard-strings there are downright torture grinning smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-10-12 15:22 by DandelionPowderman.

Date: October 12, 2012 15:28

LOL! grinning smiley

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: October 12, 2012 15:49

The only similarity I find are the "hard rock" guitar fills, that's really something they could have avoided on D&G...

The lyrics of D&G are the best he's come up with in years, a bit political but not preaching like in Highwire or Neocon, colourful (swamp, etc...) tongue in cheek (let's go dancing), a nice change form songs about his d**k like most of ABB and especially RJ.

Date: October 12, 2012 15:54

Erik_Snow
DandelionPowderman
KRiffhard
DeeGee
I like it !

Cheers,

DeeGee

Are you sure DeeGee?!
Listen and then tell me:

Guitars (a key element in RS-music) is not in any way similar to what's going on on Goddess...

Although the drum sound is "modern" on DAG, it sound nowhere like Everybody Getting High.

Would you care to elaborate why you find them so similar, could it be that both songs feature fake hand claps?

Ouch! Just listened to Getting High, the keyboard-strings there are downright torture grinning smiley

What makes them familiar is Jagger's singing, and "trying hard to rock" mood over everything, not only singing, but the music as well. Allthough they differ in the way that Everybody Getting Hi is not serious Jagger, he's having a laugh.

I'm glad he tries hard to rock. The thing with Goddess was that he didn't succeed.

On Doom And Gloom he's rocking - his best vocals since Steel Wheels, imo.

Everybody Getting High is a disgrace, Doom And Gloom is a good rock tune.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-10-12 15:56 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: October 12, 2012 15:55

KRiffhard
DeeGee
I like it !

Cheers,

DeeGee
have
Are you sure DeeGee?!
And what about the horrible 'Everybody getting high'?? Unfortue yhnately 'Goddess' style is very present in 'Gloom and Doom' sad smiley
Listen and then tell me:

Now that I don't like! At all. The style is vaguely similar, but something is missing there that's present on D & G.

As for complaining that 'it's a hit - but then Gangnam Style is a hit...' have you seen some of the utter tosh they've shared the charts with in their time? Doesn't mean that being a hit is wrong. Maybe the Stones are about to be accused of 'selling out'. How dare they make something that younger people enjoy?

Doom and Gloom isn't the greatest track since Exile, but it certainly has my feet tapping, and it looks as if it's going to do the job it was designed for - drawing attention to Grrrr (how many Rs are there in Grrrrr anyway?). I enjoy all the dissection on here - it makes me pay attention to things I hadn't noticed - and if you hate D & G, fine. I can see that it's because you know the band you love could have done so much better - or perhaps because you fear that they can't, and it grieves you. But can we please stop the endless drip, drip, drip of scorn and sneering for anyone who is dumb enough to actually enjoy something that you can't bring yourselves to like?

PS: there are fangirls, too - I've been one since 1963.

Date: October 12, 2012 15:59

thumbs up

Date: October 12, 2012 16:29

U guys get a room, I bet you have more in common than you think at this point winking smiley

Date: October 12, 2012 16:39

Posted by: Monkeytonkman ()
Date: October 12, 2012 16:43

Definite shades of Rough Justice running through it, which is no bad thing 'cus I love the song. Same goes for You Got Me Rocking

Personally Jaggers vocals are to prominent, would have liked mixed deeper to blend with the music, but thats just a minor quibble.

Overall loved it first time when I heard it on Radio 2 twice n still makes me wanna shake my tail feather so thumbs up!

Cheers smileys with beer

\m/

Date: October 12, 2012 16:47

GravityBoy
DandelionPowderman

Drum machine?

A human drum machine thumbs up

Posted by: chopper ()
Date: October 12, 2012 17:01

Jesus wept, all I hear is doom and gloom!

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: October 12, 2012 17:02

Erik_Snow
steverogan
Erik_Snow
treaclefingers
steverogan
The song initially caught my attention but soon sounded like nothing fresh or different;

Just want to be sure you realize the song only just came out today. Sounds as though you have a fairly fleeting attention span. ADD?

No, not necessarily, treaclefingers, he's still listening to Citadel

AHH Mr. Snow. The nutty Norwegian. Have you studied the grammar lessons I gave you? Test tomorrow! Best to make jokes in your own language. Enjoy the winter.

Don't embarrass yourself even further, Steve

This one is still at it eh? Even I have less time than that on a computer...poor bastard.

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: October 12, 2012 17:13

Written in too short time, my apology for grammatical errors in the hurry when I should have worked, but I have to comment on this, before going out with my collegues

DandelionPowderman
lougio
After reading many of the posts about this song it is obvious that the younger listners like it. As an old fan that has loved the Stones for more years than I care to remember, this is not what the Stones are about. This song belongs on one of Mick's solo albums. Give me back that Rock and Roll band that has always been the best live entertainment on the planet. When they finally decide to do some live shows I will be there and I know now I will have to sit through Gloom and Doom. To me all that does is take away a song I would want to hear.

What's "younger" in this context anyway?

Here we have people in their 40s and 60s really enjoying this track smileys with beer

I am one of those that remember a time when there was no Rolling Stones (or Beatles for that matter).

I gradually became a fan of the Rolling Stones. I needed time to relate to musical impulses that I then was not used to, even if I momentarily loved "Tell Me" and some other songs. After that, my outlook of the band was over the years to become a multi peak perspective.

I do not think that the Stones may be grasped using a too narrow definition
For shortness and availability, another post here is much more adequate, according to my view:

GravityBoy
lougio
Give me back that Rock and Roll band that has always been the best live entertainment on the planet.

Loads of quirky stuff.

I hope to be able to listen to "Doom And Gloom" live. My verdict is that it has warhorse quality, no less! At the moment I like to listen to both versions alternately. Each has somerthing the other's has not, but enlivens the listening to the other.

Then I am one of them who hope for seldom songs,not too many warhorses (I acknowledge that their must be many of those) , and who most of all rejoice when the band during concerts is able to make a more ordinary song a gem of that night as a consequence of the special treatment they are able to give it during that concert.

Had I had my own will, I would have liked a concert with no warhorses from before 1990, only specialities from earlier years. Of course, that cannot be, but stated to express what a fan who also has followed the band for many years, might think.

I don't think any fan is entitled to a more defining authority of what the band is (or even what it was), than all others. That applies to me as well, of course.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-10-12 17:16 by Witness.

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: October 12, 2012 17:16

DandelionPowderman
KRiffhard
DeeGee
I like it !

Cheers,

DeeGee

Are you sure DeeGee?!
Listen and then tell me:

Many others have said a few times that G&D is a good song...
My question was directed to DeeGee and in particular to non-existent similarity between 'D & G' and 'You got me rockin'.

Posted by: gimmelittledrink ()
Date: October 12, 2012 17:18

To me, D&G sounds a lot like John Fogerty's 'Long Dark Night' (from the Revival album). Fogerty's version is better, especially the singing.

As long as Mick and Keith keep writing separately, whatever they produce will never quite sound like the real deal.

D&G is better than the 4 new tracks on Forty Licks, but it's not a great song by any means.

Posted by: maumau ()
Date: October 12, 2012 17:19

i see that d&g is getting a lot of good reviews from pro around the internet, i am not adding any link cause it's as easy as google "doom & gloom" in the news..
i must say i am surprised

Posted by: straycatblues73 ()
Date: October 12, 2012 17:40

NICOS
Rockman

Hits 883,777 in only one day!!! I don't know how many hours to go

just pushed it up two views myself , be a million soon

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: October 12, 2012 18:01

GravityBoy
lougio

Loads of quirky stuff.

Here's what Id suggest Mick. OK, you wanna create a hit or something that will appear on some HBO show for young people who know the Rolling Stones. Same people who bought the Dressman t-shirt and own Exile and Some Girls but never really listen to them. PRobably have some arty remake of a Keith photo on the kitchen wall.
Fine, use the True Blue theme but write something a bit more real, write a short story and I'll help you finish it - wont ask for credits, promise. And lets make this one not sound like the Stones. Think outside the box meaning think like you did not think at all in 1971. Play like a band but dont try to sound like the band. And you will sound like the real raw deal. Maybe play piano and not guitar. Mumble a bit, sing like youd sing to yourself.

Lets not use any open G-guitars. No pointless sus-riffs. Let Keith have his week of just playing and I promise he will have something on Friday. Production? It doesnt sound more real if you hear every single note. Let's record the whole thing on tape and then remaster. I'll even use some 70s dicso effects on it. Tell Daryl to come up with a bassline.

Mick: you are fired.
Me: Yeah, well... OK, sorry. SORRY MICK! We'll do it your way!!

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: October 12, 2012 18:02

DandelionPowderman

Mick sounds awesome, and PLEASE keep Gessle out of this! grinning smiley

Lol! Ok sorry!

Posted by: nico one ()
Date: October 12, 2012 18:06

Like the song , its great to hear new song (s)

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: October 12, 2012 19:10

steverogan
Munichhilton
Erik_Snow
steverogan
Erik_Snow
treaclefingers
steverogan
The song initially caught my attention but soon sounded like nothing fresh or different;

Just want to be sure you realize the song only just came out today. Sounds as though you have a fairly fleeting attention span. ADD?

No, not necessarily, treaclefingers, he's still listening to Citadel

AHH Mr. Snow. The nutty Norwegian. Have you studied the grammar lessons I gave you? Test tomorrow! Best to make jokes in your own language. Enjoy the winter.

Don't embarrass yourself even further, Steve

This one is still at it eh? Even I have less time than that on a computer...poor bastard.
?

Steven, honestly...I'm the one that delivered the initial bitchslap and I'm frankly offended that you've taken the texan and the swede to task for the zinger that was intially attributed to me.

where's the luv?

Posted by: Justin ()
Date: October 12, 2012 20:12

Doxa
His Majesty
Meanwhile, outside of angsty iorr-tell me a whole lotta people are liking the song. The contrast between comments here and those on youtube are interesting. grinning smiley

I must admit it is sounding better to my ears with each listen. The Doom and Gloom single(Radio Mix) kicks the arse of their tired vegas era sound and gives us something fresh and livley!!! thumbs up

For me the pro's are that it has a great Mick vocal, the track has energy and life(Radio Edit), the rhythm is modern so to speak, but has a nod and a wink to past tracks such as Street Fighting Man, Brown Sugar.

Were they not so old and some what forever bound to their historic past I'd say a track such as this could act as a bridge to a whole new sound for the stones.

Glad seing you seeing the positive aspects as well. But, of course, cheerleeder boys liek you and me love everything they do...grinning smiley

But a great summary and I think it hits the point I've tried to figure out for some time.

Namely that of mixing the traditional Stones sound world with the sounds of contemporary scene. I think that has been a real struggle for them for ages (since early 80's I think), and sometiemes they don't even bothered to try (like A BIGGER BANG). Mostly the results have sounded very forced and artificial (for example, the stuff in BRIDGES TO BABYLON, worst being that horrible "Juiced", and the tricks in "Anybody Seen My Love?" aren't much to be proud of).

But in that sense "Gloom and Doom" succeeds nicely to fit the familiar elements to a new clothing, and I think it sounds surprisingly fresh. Great to hear that people outside the harcore fan circles are enjoying the results as well.

- Doxa

That's what I thought too. After listening to the song yesterday I realized that Mick was FINALLY able to find an even ground between the organic sounding rock/garage band and the electronic/modern elements that he's been so desperately trying to get to work with the Stones. All the examples you mention perfectly demonstrate how the scales were always uneven for it to work perfectly in the past.

There was no way that the iTunes version of "Doom and Gloom" would have succeeded as well as the radio mix. The radio mix offers a fresh view on the Stones...they are accentuating the beat (unfortunately Charlie is a casualty of that) while still putting the guitars and Mick's spirited vocal way up front. It sucks for fans who want to hear Charlie--but I'm sure sure Charlie understands that in order for a dance track to work--there's a chance for the drum loop to take over for him. It's a dance track...and it's mixed that way. That is most likely the reason why they offered the alternate version of the song on iTunes with just the raw band with no tricks or loops.

They definitely worked the media to their advantage and executed this whole thing perfectly. No accidental leaks of the song in the days before, they released the radio edit worldwide over the radio and within minutes of it playing, they post the YouTube link on their Facebook and then it takes on a life of its own. They were optimistic that it would catch fire so they put out the best version of the song that had all the elements for a hit by today's standards.

Whether or not we love or hate the song is a completely other issue, but we must admit that their instincts on this one was right on the money. A million views overnight definitely tells them (and us) that they did something right.

Re: Doom & Gloom - First play on Radio2
Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: October 12, 2012 20:49

JumpingKentFlash
paulywaul
Dreamer
tomcat2006
Just heard it (twice!) on Radio2.... fantastic, classic groove, real rock'n'roll and I instantly liked it, which is a great sign.

The presenter joked that they had an exclusive for 10 minutes ahead of the rest of the world so they played it twice in a row.

GRRReat :-)

Nothing fantastic or classic about it really. Less than average if you ask me. Just a shouting MJ on a ZZ Top beat. Not tipical Stones at all.

<<< Just a shouting MJ on a ZZ Top beat. Not typical Stones at all >>>

That's pretty much my take on it too, there's not a lot that's either fantastic or classic about it, I'd have to agree.

Well if you look at it that way, why not say that the early Stones songs are just Jagger howling over a blues beat. You can make anything sound bad with that argument. Yes it's a tad ZZ Top, but so what? CYHMK is a tad Santana. You may not like it, and that's your right, but that argument is not valid. It does sound like a Jagger penned song, but he said that he just writes and uses what he thinks fits The Stones.

Yes, thank you very much for your comments. I'll tell you why not to say early Stones songs are just Jagger howling over a blues beat. Because, that isn't necessarily how I hear all of those songs, and more to the point - I don't feel like saying it. Good enough for you ? I don't need any lectures on the "validity" of an argument thank you, so kindly spare me. What's to argue anyway, I'm doing nothing more than expressing an opinion. If it happens to be one that that doesn't agree with you, then tough ... live with it.

I heard the song, and it's Ok - that's about it. Neither particularly fantastic, nor in my opinion "classic" in sound/feel/groove. End of ............ !!

[ I want to shout, but I can hardly speak ]

Posted by: Havo ()
Date: October 12, 2012 22:09

best stones song--til Some girls, back in 1978

Posted by: GravityBoy ()
Date: October 12, 2012 22:12

Anyway....

I still like it.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...2829303132333435363738...LastNext
Current Page: 33 of 40

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1535
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home