Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1920212223242526272829...LastNext
Current Page: 24 of 40
Re: "Doom And Gloom" Will Be Released This THURSDAY
Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: October 11, 2012 19:27

big4
Listened to it a few times. Definitely like the itunes version better. There seems to be several guitar tracks on the song beneath the main riff, some tracks featuring just a couple of notes or a riff. Also, it sounds like there's some harmonica (maybe sampled) and organ bured in the mix (the organ you can hear clearly at the end of the song). I would say Ronnie is all over this song with Mick playing some rhythm and Keith filling in the spaces with some notes or short riffs. I miss the way Charlie used to play the beat just ahead or behind Keith's guitar, it gave their music that distinctive "wobble" someone else on here mentioned.

No more wobble...we lost half the wobble when Bill left. The remaining wobble disappears when Keith isn't playing rhythm and Mick apparently has Charlie playing to a drum machine track he's already done.

RIP "THE WOBBLE" 1962-2012

If I want to listen to this sort of hard rock, I can play a Bad Company or ZZ Top CD, or a Mick Jagger solo album, for that matter. This does not sound like the Rolling Stones in any respect.

Date: October 11, 2012 19:30

Wow, the iTunes version is a shitload better. Holy shit. That sounds more like the Stones than whatever that is on the youtube vide.

What the hell is with the youtube mix? That's not the Stones, it's Mick Jagger, Ronnie Wood and a computer making 'drum' noises.

Posted by: StonesTod ()

i'm down with the wobble. the weave was a made-up myth. but the wobble was real, palpable and awesome. i'm gonna rename my stones figurines "the wobble-heads"

Posted by: tumbled ()

Trying to transcribe lyrics:

I had a dream last night
I was piloting a plane
And all the passengers were drunk and insane
Crash landing in a Louisiana swamp
Shout out boys, army's coming out top (??)
What's it all about
Was it just to fix my mood (??)
Sitting in the dirt
Feeling kind of hurt

All I hear is doom and gloom
And all is darkness in my room

Through the light your face I see
And baby take a chance
Baby won't you dance with me

Lost all the treasure in an overseas war
Just goes to show you don’t' get what you pay for
Bowing to the rich and you wind up poor
But the fear __________ clamp/count down
Lock all the doors

______Noise
It’s a tightening of the screws

Feeling kind of hurt
Sitting in the dirt

All I hear is doom and gloom
The windows drums go through the moon (??)
Through the night your face I see
Baby take a chance

Yea

___________But there's nothing in the sun
The kids are picking at the garbage dump
I'm running out of water so I better prime the pump____________
I am trying to stay sober but I aint' a drunk
Living in the dirt
living on the side of the road

_____________gonna make your head explode
I'm feeling kinda hurt
but all I hear is doom and gloom
all is darkness in my room
through the night your face I see
baby call won't you dance with me
baby won't you dance with me
I'm feeling kinda hurt
Baby wont' you dance with me
Cmon dance with me
Sitting in the dirt

Posted by: Adams ()
Date: October 11, 2012 19:31

On the official yt channel there's the remix version. The good one is on itunes

Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: October 11, 2012 19:32

I always thought Charlie IS a drum machine...

Date: October 11, 2012 19:36

Mickjaggeroo posted this on another thread but it answers a question for me:

The one on the video is Doom and Gloom (Radio Mix), the one on itunes is album version.

So the iTunes version is the better of the two.

They did the same thing with Plundered. Is that iTunes version still available for download anywhere? Like where that iTunes version is that's on here?

Posted by: GumbootCloggeroo ()
Date: October 11, 2012 19:39

WeLoveToPlayTheBlues
Is that iTunes version still available for download anywhere?
Is this song not an official release? Therefore, you can't ask for a link to download it! Go buy it yourself winking smiley

Posted by: sf37 ()
Date: October 11, 2012 19:41

So, in comparing the two versions, the Youtube radio-edit track (the "Lyric Video" at 4:07 in length) has a longer instrumental intro, with the drums kicking in on the second stanza, before the vocals appear. On the itunes track (3:58 in length), the overall mix of the guitars sounds more full to me, but Mick's vocals appear after only one instrumental but drumless stanza. However, the itunes version has the longer bridge (one-and-a-half stanzas as opposed to just the one on the Youtune version). So hopefully this means that the unedited version we have yet to hear will have both the longer instrumental intro AND the longer bridge, and with the "fuller" guitar mix.....

Posted by: Woz ()
Date: October 11, 2012 19:42

Reminds me of a cross between (ZZ Top's) Gimme All Your Lovin' and Dancing with Mr. D.

Posted by: R ()
Date: October 11, 2012 19:43

US ITunes has two versions. The radio mix and the album version which is superior albeit a few seconds shorter.

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: October 11, 2012 19:43

71Tele

No more wobble...we lost half the wobble when Bill left. The remaining wobble disappears when Keith isn't playing rhythm and Mick apparently has Charlie playing to a drum machine track he's already done.

If I want to listen to this sort of hard rock, I can play a Bad Company or ZZ Top CD, or a Mick Jagger solo album, for that matter. This does not sound like the Rolling Stones in any respect.

Did Satanic Majesties sound like the Stones? Is GHS a piece of s... because it is not dominated by Keith's open G riffing and is full keyboards? Did Fool to Cry or Hot stuff or Negrita sound like anything the Stones had done before? Miss You? The drum machine on Undercover? Continental Drift?

How should the Stones exactly sound?

If the wobble left when Bill left, then that wobble is no big deal. Half of the Stones greatest hits don't have Bill on bass. At least 3 don't even have Charlie (IORR, YCAGWYW and Happy) ...

Music is no rocket science. One either likes it or not. No need to provide justifications. If Lady Gaga's latest single is good, its good.

C

Posted by: Justin ()
Date: October 11, 2012 19:44

R
US ITunes has two versions. The radio mix and the album version which is superior albeit a few seconds shorter.

Thanks for the info! I really prefer the radio mix over the album version.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: October 11, 2012 19:45

liddas
71Tele

Did Satanic Majesties sound like the Stones? Is GHS a piece of s... because it is not dominated by Keith's open G riffing and is full keyboards? Did Fool to Cry or Hot stuff or Negrita sound like anything the Stones had done before? Miss You? The drum machine on Undercover? Continental Drift?

If the wobble left when Bill left, then that wobble is no big deal. Half of the Stones greatest hits don't have Bill on bass. At least 3 don't even have Charlie (IORR, YCAGWYW and Happy) ...

Music is no rocket science. One either likes it or not. No need to provide justifications. If Lady Gaga's latest single is good, its good.

C

Thank you Senor Liddas. thumbs up

Posted by: GumbootCloggeroo ()
Date: October 11, 2012 19:46

liddas
71Tele

C
thumbs up
What's the point in listening to music if you have a checklist in front of you?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-10-11 19:47 by GumbootCloggeroo.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: October 11, 2012 19:47

For all those of you that don't like the song, it could have been way worse.

At least Mick's not a 'butcher cutting up meat', or worse still, 'a hooker losing her looks'.

Think positive!

Date: October 11, 2012 19:49

treaclefingers
For all those of you that don't like the song, it could have been way worse.

At least Mick's not a 'butcher cutting up meat', or worse still, 'a hooker losing her looks'.

Think positive!

i never really imagined mick as a prostitute...can't believe he tried to pass this stuff off as autobiographical material....

Posted by: vermontoffender ()
Date: October 11, 2012 19:50

Oh, boo-hoo; this doesn't sound like the Rolling Stones the way I've chosen to define them, so I'm gonna (sob)....I'm gonna (sob)....I'm gonna....go on IORR and register my incredibly predictable, narrow minded, self absorbed complaint. (typetypetypetype)

There....now I feel all better.

Posted by: Justin ()

liddas

C

Nice one!

I'm not sure how much discussion this song deserves--it's nothing more than a dance track. It satisfies the urge to get up and move, not to sit around trying to find the next "Exile On Mainstreet" in the songwriting. At the end of the day it may be fluff but if I had the choice to get my "fluff" from anyone...I'd want it to be from the Stones.

Posted by: deeppurple ()

R! I can only find the Album version on US Itunes. Where did you find the Radio mix?I will go back and look, again. Thanks.

liddas
71Tele

C

Um, you are missing the ingredient that made the wobble-less songs you mentioned palatable (and wonderful): Quality songwriting.

Now, if you really think this thing is as good a song as Fool To Cry or Hey Negrita (which had plenty of wobble, by the way) then more power to you. Enjoy.
To me it sounds like routine hard rock, which is of no interest to me.

I also think you somewhat miss my point. On an open-G rocker like this, "the wobble" was key. I am not saying all Stones songs have to be one thing or another (they are good at many things). I AM saying that when they do their classic open-G rocker formula without the ingredients mentioned, it falls flat and sounds like boring hard rock.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2012-10-11 19:54 by 71Tele.

Posted by: Woz ()
Date: October 11, 2012 19:52

> How should the Stones exactly sound?

However they like.

Date: October 11, 2012 19:53

vermontoffender
Oh, boo-hoo; this doesn't sound like the Rolling Stones the way I've chosen to define them, so I'm gonna (sob)....I'm gonna (sob)....I'm gonna....go on IORR and register my incredibly predictable, narrow minded, self absorbed complaint. (typetypetypetype)

There....now I feel all better.

works everytime

Date: October 11, 2012 19:53

GumbootCloggeroo
WeLoveToPlayTheBlues
Is that iTunes version still available for download anywhere?
Is this song not an official release? Therefore, you can't ask for a link to download it! Go buy it yourself winking smiley

Plundered. I don't recall it being available in the United States. Therefor...

Posted by: sf37 ()
Date: October 11, 2012 19:54

deeppurple
R! I can only find the Album version on US Itunes. Where did you find the Radio mix?I will go back and look, again. Thanks.

The radio mix can be found here:

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: October 11, 2012 19:54

What's positive about Doom? Gloom?

Date: October 11, 2012 19:57

71Tele
liddas
71Tele

C

Um, you are missing the ingredient that made the wobble-less songs you mentioned palatable (and wonderful): Quality songwriting.

Now, if you really think this thing is as good a song as Fool To Cry or Hey Negrita (which had plenty of wobble, by the way) then more power to you. Enjoy.
To me it sounds like routine hard rock, which is of no interest to me.

I also think you somewhat miss my point. On an open-G rocker like this, "the wobble" was key. I am not saying all Stones songs have to be one thing or another (they are good at many things). I AM saying that when they do their classic open-G rocker formula without the ingredients mentioned, it falls flat and sounds like boring hard rock.

tele tele's like it is. this is not the stones anymore. it's a cheap imitation.

Posted by: 68to72 ()
Date: October 11, 2012 19:57

Bah Humbug....... I dont care if its a Mick cast off or it doesn't sound like Charlie playing the drums etc etc.

Its a new Stones song and I like it!

I've heard it a million times today cause its getting massive radio airplay..... And it makes me feel like its 1981 and Start me up has just came out!

I may be easily pleased but.....Happy Days

What a drag it is gettin' old

Date: October 11, 2012 19:59

GumbootCloggeroo
liddas
71Tele

C
thumbs up
What's the point in listening to music if you have a checklist in front of you?

The only "checklist" is whether it moves me or not. Sounds like a Jagger solo track to me. No, it's not rocket science and not the end of the world, but that's what it sounds like. Now, if you LIKE Stones songs without the Stones rhythm, great. If you LIKE anything at all as long as it has a "Rolling Stones" label on it, that's fine too.

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: October 11, 2012 19:59

Justin
liddas

C

Nice one!

I'm not sure how much discussion this song deserves--it's nothing more than a dance track. It satisfies the urge to get up and move, not to sit around trying to find the next "Exile On Mainstreet" in the songwriting. At the end of the day it may be fluff but if I had the choice to get my "fluff" from anyone...I'd want it to be from the Stones.

Justin. I love you.

JumpingKentFlash

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1920212223242526272829...LastNext
Current Page: 24 of 40

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1723
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home