Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 5 of 6
Re: Track Talk: Loving Cup
Date: August 22, 2019 15:44

Happy was a joke, of course, but my point remains: There are some things you don't/don't wanna hear here with the single string runs.

The only thing that's identical to the studio recording Taylor plays here is the I-IV riff. It would have been odd if he hadn't played it, as it's a recognisable part of the song. Taylor plays it more often than that of the studio version, and in some different places.

Not one note of Keith's single string runs are featured here, nor are Taylor's fills in the pocket, like on the studio recording.

Out of respect for you I decided to check this.

You made me waste my time smoking smiley

[youtu.be]

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2019-08-22 16:26 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: August 22, 2019 16:45

TravelinMan
I don’t think the argument stands for the following reasons:

DP mentions the solo to Happy. Well Taylor didn’t play on Happy as we know, but he did NOT copy Richards part, not even remotely. He didn’t copy Richards part on Torn And Frayed, nor did he copy his part on Tumbling Dice or any other Exile song. Why Loving Cup? I can’t think of an instance in his whole time in the band where he played a Keith Richards part so closely live.

Mathijs makes interesting points, but he’s definitely overblowing the “noodling”. To me it’s more comparable to Dead Flowers where he had a part on the record and then expanded on it live. This seems much more possible considering they were writing songs in a marathon. Taylor probably laid down his part in a few takes without opportunity to expand on it. It’s quite a basic song from a guitar standpoint.

A side question, contrary to what’s been written here I’ve read that Taylor was present at most if not all the LA sessions, but are we sure the basic tracks of this Loving Cup doesn’t date back to the Sticky Fingers sessions?

I am really sorry, but there’s no point to continue discussing this. This is just so beyond any doubt that I cannot take your denial very serious. Next thing is that you start arguing it is actually Charlie on vocals and not Mick.

Mathijs

Posted by: TravelinMan ()
Date: August 22, 2019 17:21

You're only right in there is no point continuing the conversation because you guys have an idea and you are arguing for it rather than listening to facts. It's okay, you have an agenda, one I don't understand. You actually have NO proof who it is and I am showing you Taylor played that part live not once, but four times on recordings. So....

Saying Taylor couldn't play that part is INSANE and the only denial here.

Date: August 22, 2019 17:42

DandelionPowderman
Happy was a joke, of course, but my point remains: There are some things you don't/don't wanna hear here with the single string runs.

The only thing that's identical to the studio recording Taylor plays here is the I-IV riff. It would have been odd if he hadn't played it, as it's a recognisable part of the song. Taylor plays it more often than that of the studio version, and in some different places.

Not one note of Keith's single string runs are featured here, nor are Taylor's fills in the pocket, like on the studio recording.

Out of respect for you I decided to check this.

You made me waste my time smoking smiley

[youtu.be]

Are you calling the power chord rhythm part the riff?

There are like maybe two varying single string runs on the record and he does play the low one live. He's also pulled out of the mix suspiciously during parts he added accompaniment live, like the build-up.

Date: August 22, 2019 18:06

<Are you calling the power chord rhythm part the riff?>

The suspended chords. The classic Keith-stuff. The only similar thing Taylor plays live, compared to the studio recording.

And that's where this discussion ends for me.

Posted by: The Joker ()
Date: August 22, 2019 18:09

Not a fan of Darryl Jones, but he is doing a great job here

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: OpenG ()
Date: August 22, 2019 18:18

I never would of thought MT is also accused of noodling on a little guitar run, one thing to suggest on solos he was noodling or being self prententious like all the guitar gods were in the early 70's . So when Keith dangles those suspended chords in our face that is always real guitar playing and never can be fooled with noodling - because the definition of noodling suggest play in a casual manner or not giving the playing the full attention.

Date: August 22, 2019 18:25

OpenG
I never would of thought MT is also accused of noodling on a little guitar run, one thing to suggest on solos he was noodling or being self prententious like all the guitar gods were in the early 70's . So when Keith dangles those suspended chords in our face that is always real guitar playing and never can be fooled with noodling - because the definition of noodling suggest play in a casual manner or not giving the playing the full attention.

Right, I appreciate Keith Richards as much as anyone, but this site should be called "It's Only Richards and Ron".

Date: August 22, 2019 18:35

ck Talk: Loving Cup new
Date: August 22, 2019 18:25

OpenG

Right, I appreciate Keith Richards as much as anyone, but this site should be called "It's Only Richards and Ron".

Yes, Keith is unique and great but noodling could also be compared to posing or
fooling around on stage and that is something MT never did on stage.

Date: August 22, 2019 21:10

TravelinMan
You're only right in there is no point continuing the conversation because you guys have an idea and you are arguing for it rather than listening to facts. It's okay, you have an agenda, one I don't understand. You actually have NO proof who it is and I am showing you Taylor played that part live not once, but four times on recordings. So....

After 25 years trying to play like Taylor I do not think I have any agenda. There is a tendency though on this website lately that if one does not agree there are accusations raised.

I try it one last time.

Listen to the very first lick that is played, starting at 1:18 and ending at 1:20. The reason why I find it typical keith is that the timing is close to being off, closed to being not right. It starts with Bflat, and runs to a G on the low E-string, which is giving vibrato that all most sounds like a correction, then he slides to the G on the D-string, which sounds like he does that with his index finger, and he arrives on the G-note just, barely just, in time. I think most modern producers would say something like 'don't worry, we'll fix that with Protools' nowadays. But it really gives great tension and swing here. At 2:56 he does the same lick but he adds a hammer-on from B-flat, also like he needs to fix a timing mistake. It's this timing what makes keith so unique -it's a very simple guitar part that anyone with basic skills can play, but it's the timing which makes it so uniquely Keith.

In my opinion, Taylor is just way too good, way too fluid and technically adapt to play a lick like that, unless he is totally drunk. The live versions proof that: he copies Keith lick's, but does it with a correct timing, and much more fluid. And of course he plays Keith's part from the studio version live: between all the flutter of piano, acoustic guitar and brass, you need the bass and rhythm guitar to hold the song down. They do not manage to do that live, and I called that noodling, something that in my opinion Taylor sometimes does. Like he is trying to figure out some nice licks and melodies while being on stage in front of 20,000 people.

Mathijs

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-08-22 22:16 by Mathijs.

Date: August 22, 2019 21:21

<Saying Taylor couldn't play that part is INSANE and the only denial here>

Wouldn't, not couldn't.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: August 23, 2019 02:41

Apparently the LP version was recorded in Los Angeles.

Uh - has anyone ever figured out who plays the steel drums? I can't recall if I've ever come across that information.

Date: August 23, 2019 02:50

Mathijs
TravelinMan

After 25 years trying to play like Taylor I do not think I have any agenda. There is a tendency though on this website lately that if one does not agree there are accusations raised.

I try it one last time.

Listen to the very first lick that is played, starting at 1:18 and ending at 1:20. The reason why I find it typical keith is that the timing is close to being off, closed to being not right. It starts with Bflat, and runs to a G on the low E-string, which is giving vibrato that all most sounds like a correction, then he slides to the G on the D-string, which sounds like he does that with his index finger, and he arrives on the G-note just, barely just, in time. I think most modern producers would say something like 'don't worry, we'll fix that with Protools' nowadays. But it really gives great tension and swing here. At 2:56 he does the same lick but he adds a hammer-on from B-flat, also like he needs to fix a timing mistake. It's this timing what makes keith so unique -it's a very simple guitar part that anyone with basic skills can play, but it's the timing which makes it so uniquely Keith.

In my opinion, Taylor is just way too good, way too fluid and technically adapt to play a lick like that, unless he is totally drunk. The live versions proof that: he copies Keith lick's, but does it with a correct timing, and much more fluid. And of course he plays Keith's part from the studio version live: between all the flutter of piano, acoustic guitar and brass, you need the bass and rhythm guitar to hold the song down. They do not manage to do that live, and I called that noodling, something that in my opinion Taylor sometimes does. Like he is trying to figure out some nice licks and melodies while being on stage in front of 20,000 people.

Mathijs

Thank you for your thoughtful response. I merely wanted to start some dialogue because I just discovered Richards actually played acoustic on those ‘72 versions and Taylor played a part other than his own, something I hadn’t heard before. It makes me wonder what the heck is going on in Sweet Black Angel in Texas.

I have noticed on this site in particular, people tend to give a snippy “you’re wrong” rather than actually discussing what’s being said and opening themselves up to ideas. I find Exile to be one of the most mysterious and dense records of the genre.

Lately, I’m more interested in the LA sessions than anything else because I can’t find much from the sources that say they were cutting new songs there. Jagger said he saved the album there with overdubs, Richards denies it saying there were only a few small overdubs, and Andy Johns talks more about his battle mixing the record, meanwhile Jimmy Miller said Joe Zagarino mixed it. Unfortunately, Zagarino passed away not too long after the album and both Miller and Johns passed away as well. Perhaps Richards is playing up to the Nellcote allure, but nobody seems to talk about cutting brand new songs there.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-08-23 02:51 by TravelinMan.

Posted by: stickyfingers101 ()
Date: August 23, 2019 02:53

Great Tune!

the Bridge is so daring....

brilliant lyrics...

man...this tune is GREAT!

love it!

Torn & Frayed is the only one I like better...and it is close.

Date: August 23, 2019 18:39

[www.youtube.com]

Loving Cup 1972 Rehersals

Well if this means anything - Keith is playing acoustic and capo, and MT is playing electric on the swiss rehersal.

Date: August 23, 2019 18:51

OpenG
[www.youtube.com]

Well if this means anything - Keith is playing acoustic and capo, and MT is playing electric on the swiss rehersal.

That's how they chose to play it live smiling smiley

I wish they had given the song more time to mature on the tour.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: August 26, 2019 21:59

OpenG
[www.youtube.com]

Miming.

Date: April 28, 2020 23:18

Mathijs
Listen to the very first lick that is played, starting at 1:18 and ending at 1:20. The reason why I find it typical keith is that the timing is close to being off, closed to being not right. It starts with Bflat, and runs to a G on the low E-string, which is giving vibrato that all most sounds like a correction, then he slides to the G on the D-string, which sounds like he does that with his index finger, and he arrives on the G-note just, barely just, in time.

Mathijs

"Loving Cup" came on today so I wanted to return and tell you that I think it is Richards playing the electric guitar, and that's mainly because of the licks which you guys highlighted. I grabbed my guitar and played along.

Is the lick you pointed out not Bb-G-F-D-C slide to G then resolve on D?

Anyway, something just bothers me about that bridge still. The lick in G major with an F# in it then slides up to A before the trills. Like that is classic Taylor and the tone is different as well, it almost sounds like it has a wah on it, or it's through a Leslie. The "Shine A Light" tone perhaps. I don't think it's out of the realm of possibility that Taylor had a part on this song, and it was wiped and Richards simplified it, leaving that crescendo line.

I also remember Charlie Watts saying something about how Taylor played beautifully on "Loving Cup" and it puzzled me.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2020-04-28 23:20 by TravelinMan.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: April 28, 2020 23:21

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: April 29, 2020 02:40

Does Taylor play on the alternate take of Loving Cup.Because those guitars sound a little sloppy.And we know her plays slide on You Gotta Move.That slide sounds very simple.So why couldn’t he be playing one of the guitars on Happy,which sounds harder to play than You Gotta Move.It sounds to me that the second solo at the end of Happy at about 2:08is Taylor.The guitar sounds like the tone from his guitar on All Down the Line

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2020-04-29 02:56 by Taylor1.

Date: April 29, 2020 02:57

Taylor1
Does Taylor play on the alternate take of Loving Cup.Because those guitars sound a little sloppy.And we know her plays slide on You Gotta Move.That slide sounds very simple.So why couldn’t he be playing one of the guitars on Happy,which sounds harder to play than You Gotta Move.It sounds to me that the second solo at the end of Happy is Taylor.The guitar sounds like the tone from his guitar on All Down the Line

He does play on the alternate take. He plays the cleaner more laid back guitar. Some of those fills are reminiscent of what he added live too.

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: April 29, 2020 13:13

TravelinMan
Taylor1
Does Taylor play on the alternate take of Loving Cup.Because those guitars sound a little sloppy.And we know her plays slide on You Gotta Move.That slide sounds very simple.So why couldn’t he be playing one of the guitars on Happy,which sounds harder to play than You Gotta Move.It sounds to me that the second solo at the end of Happy is Taylor.The guitar sounds like the tone from his guitar on All Down the Line

He does play on the alternate take. He plays the cleaner more laid back guitar. Some of those fills are reminiscent of what he added live too.
. The second solo at about 2:08 and then continues playing till the end of the songon Happy that was overdubbed does not sound like KeithIt has the same guitar tone as Taylor onAll Down the line.When Keith says he cut the track for Happy with just him ,Bobby Keys and Miller,he is obviously leaving out all the overdubs of Jagger’svocals,Jim Price, and other guitars

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-04-29 13:15 by Taylor1.

Date: April 29, 2020 13:21

Taylor1
TravelinMan
Taylor1

. The second solo at about 2:08 and then continues playing till the end of the songon Happy that was overdubbed does not sound like KeithIt has the same guitar tone as Taylor onAll Down the line.When Keith says he cut the track for Happy with just him ,Bobby Keys and Miller,he is obviously leaving out all the overdubs of Jagger’svocals,Jim Price, and other guitars

Yes, it does.

Date: April 29, 2020 15:14

TravelinMan
Mathijs
Listen to the very first lick that is played, starting at 1:18 and ending at 1:20. The reason why I find it typical keith is that the timing is close to being off, closed to being not right. It starts with Bflat, and runs to a G on the low E-string, which is giving vibrato that all most sounds like a correction, then he slides to the G on the D-string, which sounds like he does that with his index finger, and he arrives on the G-note just, barely just, in time.

Mathijs

"Loving Cup" came on today so I wanted to return and tell you that I think it is Richards playing the electric guitar, and that's mainly because of the licks which you guys highlighted. I grabbed my guitar and played along.

Is the lick you pointed out not Bb-G-F-D-C slide to G then resolve on D?

Anyway, something just bothers me about that bridge still. The lick in G major with an F# in it then slides up to A before the trills. Like that is classic Taylor and the tone is different as well, it almost sounds like it has a wah on it, or it's through a Leslie. The "Shine A Light" tone perhaps. I don't think it's out of the realm of possibility that Taylor had a part on this song, and it was wiped and Richards simplified it, leaving that crescendo line.

I also remember Charlie Watts saying something about how Taylor played beautifully on "Loving Cup" and it puzzled me.

The whole discussion was great to read, and IMO best to let develop w/ you and Mathijs. really good.

Date: April 30, 2020 04:18

DandelionPowderman
Taylor1
TravelinMan
Taylor1

Yes, it does.

I don't think Taylor is on "Happy". There are too many classic Richards licks where he hits the same note like five times. Hell of a song, I love how Jagger commandeers the vocals at the end.

Recently, I realized Taylor's first attempt at playing slide on that tune was the Nicaraguan Benefit Concert. Amazing what you can find years later!

Date: April 30, 2020 13:16

TravelinMan
DandelionPowderman
Taylor1
TravelinMan
Taylor1

Yes, it does.

I don't think Taylor is on "Happy". There are too many classic Richards licks where he hits the same note like five times. Hell of a song, I love how Jagger commandeers the vocals at the end.

Recently, I realized Taylor's first attempt at playing slide on that tune was the Nicaraguan Benefit Concert. Amazing what you can find years later!

IMO one of the very best Stones moments in their entire history when Jagger take over the vocals at the end part. And yes, it is Keith's anthem all the way, but man when Jagger bursts in it is like the afterburners kcking in.

Date: April 30, 2020 15:40

TravelinMan
DandelionPowderman
Taylor1
TravelinMan
Taylor1

Yes, it does.

Agreed, Taylor is not on Happy.

Mathijs

Posted by: DEmerson ()
Date: April 30, 2020 17:20

QUOTE: I think the most expendable song on Let It Bleed - and again it's blasphemy to suggest - is Country Honk. It's a re-tread of an already released song so why do it in the first place? Loving Cup would have fitted in beautifully after Love In Vain. But how much stronger do you want Let It Bleed to be?

Getting off the original subject (and yes, Loving Cup is one of the greatest songs ever), but I often wonder what LIB would have sounded like if they had gone with the real HTW instead of Honky Tonk?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-04-30 17:21 by DEmerson.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: April 30, 2020 17:24

DEmerson
QUOTE: I think the most expendable song on Let It Bleed - and again it's blasphemy to suggest - is Country Honk. It's a re-tread of an already released song so why do it in the first place? Loving Cup would have fitted in beautifully after Love In Vain. But how much stronger do you want Let It Bleed to be?

Getting off the original subject (and yes, Loving Cup is one of the greatest songs ever), but I often wonder what LIB would have sounded like if they had gone with the real HTW instead of Honky Tonk?[/quote

For me it would sounded if I bought the US version of Let It Bleed instead of UK version ]

Date: July 8, 2022 18:34

Great song, I just heard it and I still hear Mick Taylor on the bridge lol Sounds like he's playing through a wah/leslie combo.

Unless maybe it was Stills "crashing the Exile overdub sessions"! spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 5 of 6

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1724
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home