Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 2 of 6
Re: Track Talk: Loving Cup
Posted by: 2000 LYFH ()
Date: October 8, 2012 17:36

DandelionPowderman
His Majesty
Gimme Shelter takes up the majority of great on Let It Bleed. >grinning smiley<

What's NOT great with You Got The Silver, Love In Vain and Midnight Rambler beats me confused smiley

The sound of Rambler on LIB is just incredible. What a song to start the second side, (just like Gimmie Shelter to start the first side). And I sometimes like this version better than the live version as great as that is (probably the hardest decision to ever make)smoking smiley

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: October 8, 2012 17:51

Epic. Some of the most heartfelt lyrics on a Stones song, and a masterly performance by the band. A great example of the Stones sometimes taking years for a song to "gel" in just the right way - and then, perfection.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: October 8, 2012 18:45

Friggin' LOVE this track. This is when this band was at their zenith. Nicky on piano and Jimmy Miller producing.

I'm happy and proud that it was all recorded in California. It sure has that California thing going on.

Specifically what makes this song for me:

--it's reference to farming and hiking in nature...whoo hoo
--sweet sweet acoustic guitar sound
--excellent piano by the late, great Nicky Hopkins
--the harmonies, it's like you and your best friend trying to find resonance
--Jimmy Miller's fantastic production and percussion.

I also love the working man's lyrics, Car won't start, dirty and shirt torn, etc...I mean what are the chances that Mick could write/perform a song like this these days? They have become completely out of touch with the common man imho. This was one of the best tunes they have ever written and performed.

That being said I expect in to be on the set list for the upcoming shows, Chuck like the tune alot and is probably the only one who can still somewhat relate to the lyrics.

Thanks Rene. I only wish you had added the mixing and other credits to the thread. peace

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: October 8, 2012 18:57

The chord change at the end of the middle 8 when it goes from B flat to D (what a beautiful buzz) is particularly joyous.

Posted by: 1963luca0 ()
Date: October 8, 2012 19:07

According to Stanley Booth report on the Muscle Shoals sessions, they also recorded
Loving Cup and, if I'm not wrong, he said that the song never played the same way again...

Posted by: peoplewitheyes ()
Date: October 8, 2012 19:47

on the Exile Expanded version from 2 years ago, arent they singing (half laughing)
´just want a drink from your furry cup{

I´m sure I don´t need to spell out what a smutty synonym that represents

Posted by: NoCode0680 ()
Date: October 8, 2012 20:52

My favorite part is that electric guitar (I always thought that was Taylor but I guess it's Keith). Sometimes it's hard for me to distinguish it from the bass as Keith and Bill are in a pretty good groove together, especially earlier in the song, but then the guitar gets a little more complicated later and and it's easier to distinguish. That guitar is so low and growly.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: October 8, 2012 22:44

Has anyone ever considered that Country Honk is the Stones one last stab at copying the Beatles? Revolution was a hit single the summer of '68, as Honky Tonk Women was the summer of '69. The White Album had the mostly acoustic Revolution 1, and Let It Bleed had the mostly acoustic Country Honk.

There's not a bad cut on Let It Bleed. It is the pinnacle of the core group of Jagger/Richard/Wyman/Watts. Midnight Rambler is the most disturbing song I have ever heard. The studio version has the howl of ancient country blues.

Oh yeah, and Loving Cup is sublime.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: October 8, 2012 22:48

Based on their previous '60s tunes this had no business being written and is one of the best tunes they've ever written. Would have loved it on Let it Bleed but fits perfectly on EOMS.

A high water mark in a high water career.

Posted by: Havo ()
Date: October 8, 2012 22:54

Well, I saw the Rolling Stones in 1969 in Hyde Park. they did "gimme little drink".

It was aweful, but, you know, it was 2 days after brians Death.

lovin cup--the same song--on exile was awesome

Date: October 8, 2012 22:58

I forget - are there steel drums on this track on the LP version? Where did I hear that before? And was it Robert Greenidge playing them?

Date: October 8, 2012 23:00

In my humble view....this kind of love songs are not possible to be reached by anyone. Genious.

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: October 9, 2012 04:18

emotionalbarbecue
In my humble view....this kind of love songs are not possible to be reached by anyone. Genious.

It is genius, and one of the most romantic songs they ever did. The lyrics are perfect, but it's Jagger's delivery that makes the song so believeable. Which is why I didn't care for the Exile bonus version or how it was done with Jack White in Shine a Light. In the bonus Loving Cup, Mick sleazes it up a bit, so you don't hear any of the vulnerability and passion in the original version, which is what I think makes it so unique for the Stones. The Shine a Light version just sounds uninspired and flat to me, especially with Jack White. I usually like him, but he was all wrong for Loving Cup, would have been better if it was just Mick and Keith.

Posted by: Slick ()
Date: October 9, 2012 04:21

very good but vastly over-rated, maybe my least favorite exile track.

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: October 9, 2012 06:28

This is one of my favorites from Exile.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: October 9, 2012 06:34

...okay then.... go right at the next fork in the road ....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: October 9, 2012 06:34

....then follow the river...

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Glammy ()
Date: October 9, 2012 10:11

Great great song I get never tired of listening to.

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: October 9, 2012 14:07

Rockman
....then follow the river...

I'd definitely follow that river and then I'd come back just to hear Keith pronounce EX...CETRA.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: October 9, 2012 14:42

The problem with LIB to me is that it a bit indefinite. There's a few rockers, but not enough. There's blues, but not enough. It is a bit indistinct. If you take out Country Honk and replace it with Loving Cup, and take out YCAGWY and replace it with Honky Tonk Women the album would have been much stronger in my opinion.

Mathijs

Date: October 9, 2012 15:07

Mathijs
The problem with LIB to me is that it a bit indefinite. There's a few rockers, but not enough. There's blues, but not enough. It is a bit indistinct. If you take out Country Honk and replace it with Loving Cup, and take out YCAGWY and replace it with Honky Tonk Women the album would have been much stronger in my opinion.

Mathijs

I agree, but adding the RIGHT singles to the studio albums could have improved lots of the other 60s era-albums as well.

The funny thing about the US-versions of the albums in the 60s is that they took out some of the best tunes, and added the hits - often resulting in making the albums poorer. Aftermath is a good example here, imo.

On Buttons, they included LSTNT and RT, but tossed out the best track, Back Street Girl...

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: October 9, 2012 15:22

Mathijs

Mathijs

OK, OK - so it should have been a double album!

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: October 9, 2012 20:33

24FPS
Has anyone ever considered that Country Honk is the Stones one last stab at copying the Beatles?.
Huh? confused smiley

Posted by: BJPortugal ()
Date: October 9, 2012 23:02

A nice song, but not my cup.

Posted by: NoCode0680 ()
Date: October 9, 2012 23:22

Mathijs

Aside from the replacements/additions I've always felt similarly about LIB. To be honest, when I was a teenager and first got into the Stones, I thought it was a compilation or something. The fact that it had an alternate/country version of a song that was more popular in the other version, the fact that at the time (and probably still now) the live version of Midnight Rambler from Hot Rocks/GYYYO was the most known and I guess definitive version sort of made the studio version feel like an "alternate" version, and the big hits off the album (YCAGWYW, Gimme Shelter) I already had on a couple of other compilations (namely Hot Rocks), made the whole thing seem mostly redundant. I think the only reason I bought it was for Monkey Man. Later I would learn to appreciate other tracks like Live With Me, LIB, etc, but from a casual fan standpoint it didn't have a lot to offer me, since I had several compilations.

So it felt kind of like a compilation, and it really had no flow. I still don't really get the flow. But tracklistings, or rather track placement, is one of the things that often baffles me about the Stones. Some songs seem like obvious openers or closers to me, and just aren't, so that's nothing new. And Gimme Shelter is rightly placed at the beginning here, I'm just not sure I'd go out of that into Love In Vain. I'd go another rocker like Monkey Man or something before you bring it down. Just my two cents. I'm just saying the tracklisting made it difficult for me to appreciate it as an album when I was younger.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2012-10-09 23:24 by NoCode0680.

Posted by: slew ()
Date: October 10, 2012 05:42

Let It Bleed after Exile is my favorite Stones album there are no weak tracks on it all of them are strong. Loving Cup fits nice right where it is on EOMS. I don't think it fits the dark vibes of Let It Bleed or the drug infueled Stick Fingers. Let It Bleed and Country Honk shite???? Are you freakin kidding me. Let It Bleed is in my top ten Stones songs.

Lovong Cup works as Doxa said on side two of EOMS. It might be the best love song that they ever wrote and musically it is perfect.

Posted by: Blue ()
Date: October 10, 2012 07:18

This song surely grows on you after a while, nice melody with very nice, heartfelt, back up vocals from Keith, it surely belongs in its rightful place on EOMS....kind of sleazy and bluesy. Nicky Hopkins piano playing on this song is just, simply astounding. He really had the magic touch.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: October 10, 2012 07:57

I know we've seen this before, but it's appropriate here. Gorgeous...

Posted by: Blue ()
Date: October 10, 2012 08:18

71Tele
I know we've seen this before, but it's appropriate here. Gorgeous...

Truly outstanding.

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: October 10, 2012 10:15

2000 LYFH

The sound of Rambler on LIB is just incredible. What a song to start the second side, (just like Gimmie Shelter to start the first side). And I sometimes like this version better than the live version as great as that is (probably the hardest decision to ever make)smoking smiley

thumbs up Spot on. From that first second of hizz and Keiths engine starting.

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 2 of 6

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1357
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home