Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12345Next
Current Page: 1 of 5
2013 Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame nominees
Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: October 4, 2012 13:27

I believe they choose 6 or 7 of these people:

[www.latimes.com]

-Rush
-Paul Butterfield Blues Band
-Deep Purple
-Albert King
-Procol Harum
-Heart
-Joan Jett And The Blackhearts
-Randy Newman
-Public Enemy
-N.W.A.
-Donna Summer
-Chic
-Kraftwerk
-The Marvelettes
-The Meters

No one really Hall Of Fame worthy is up this year IMO. But then again the Hall has become a joke anyway so who really cares. If forced to choose, I would take the first 7 from Rush to Joan Jett. The rest aren't rock or influential enough to be in.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-10-04 13:28 by RollingFreak.

Re: 2013 Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame nominees
Date: October 4, 2012 13:30

agreed rush- joan jett

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: October 4, 2012 13:35

Looks completely random. Like they just picked some names out of a hat.

Posted by: Blueranger ()
Date: October 4, 2012 13:35

KRAFTWERK!!!!!!

Date: October 4, 2012 13:38

RollingFreak

[www.latimes.com]

-Rush
-Deep Purple
-Albert King
-Procol Harum
-Heart
-Randy Newman
-Public Enemy
-N.W.A.
-Donna Summer
-Chic
-Kraftwerk
-The Marvelettes
-The Meters

No one really Hall Of Fame worthy is up this year IMO. But then again the Hall has become a joke anyway so who really cares. If forced to choose, I would take the first 7 from Rush to Joan Jett. The rest aren't rock or influential enough to be in.

Date: October 4, 2012 13:38

this is at least the 4th year stevie ray vaughan has been eligible and still not even nominated. also not that i think they should get in but motley crue, bon jovi and def leppard have been eligible a few years and not nominated.

Posted by: UnionHall ()
Date: October 4, 2012 13:39

I think the problem is that we are running out of decent people to nominate because most of the artists that deserve to be in the Hall are already there. I hate to think of the day when they have to choose between people like Lady Gaga and Justin Bieber.

Date: October 4, 2012 13:43

keefriffhard4life
this is at least the 4th year stevie ray vaughan has been eligible and still not even nominated. also not that i think they should get in but motley crue, bon jovi and def leppard have been eligible a few years and not nominated.

I think Albert King deserves to be inducted before Stevie Ray. The originals first, then the copy cats, no matter how good they were.

Date: October 4, 2012 13:44

UnionHall
I think the problem is that we are running out of decent people to nominate because most of the artists that deserve to be in the Hall are already there. I hate to think of the day when they have to choose between people like Lady Gaga and Justin Bieber.

Plenty of decent people left to induct. It's just that they're not even getting nominated. Jethro Tull have been eligible for 20 years. So have the Moody Blues.

Date: October 4, 2012 13:46

DandelionPowderman
keefriffhard4life

I think Albert King deserves to be inducted before Stevie Ray. The originals first, then the copy cats, no matter how good they were.

no argument here from me. i was just pointing out very popular artists who in some way shaped rock over the last 30 years yet haven't even been nominated. you would think these nutjobs who run it would have been all over bon jovi

Posted by: GravityBoy ()
Date: October 4, 2012 13:49

Nobody cares.

You're either famous or you are not.

You don't need a certificate.

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: October 4, 2012 13:51

keefriffhard4life
DandelionPowderman
keefriffhard4life

no argument here from me. i was just pointing out very popular artists who in some way shaped rock over the last 30 years yet haven't even been nominated. you would think these nutjobs who run it would have been all over bon jovi
I think you and I will have similar tastes lol:

Cheap Trick
Deep Purple
Def Leppard
Dire Straits
Electric Light Orchestra
Iron Maiden
KISS
Lou Reed (he's in for Velvet Underground but I am a bit surprised he's not in alone)
The Moody Blues
Ozzy Osbourne (in for Black Sabbath but I think he should probably be in alone as well)
Peter Frampton
Rush
Steve Miller Band
T. Rex
Whitesnake
Yes

All still not in and I don't think are even usually considered for induction.

Date: October 4, 2012 14:13

GravityBoy
Nobody cares.

You're either famous or you are not.

You don't need a certificate.

Agreed, but what a snub from the rock hall is really saying is that you're undeservedly famous and don't matter. And it's embarrassing. Procol Harum opened for Yes on tour last summer, and they're the ones who get nominated?

Date: October 4, 2012 14:41

Am I correct in thinking that "The Rock n Roll Hall of Fame" is some kind of corporate entity?

Who made them King?

I didn't vote for them.

They sound a bit jumped up to me.

Posted by: tomcasagranda ()
Date: October 4, 2012 14:44

Procol Harum deserve it for Salty Dog, Grand Hotel, and the live album with the Edmonton Symphony Orchestra.

Albert King also deserves his for the Stax albums he did, and Randy Newman was a great songwriter before he did his solo albums.

Posted by: champ72 ()
Date: October 4, 2012 15:02

Deep Purple thumbs up

Date: October 4, 2012 15:03

I think anyone who gets inducted after having been eligible for more than 10 years should just tell them to go and stick it up their ass. Send some homeless person to accept the award and have him vomit all over the podium. Imagine having to show up and kiss their ass after they've snubbed you for so long. @#$%& embarrassing!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2012-10-04 15:06 by tatters.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: October 4, 2012 15:37

Paul Butterfield Blues Band YES ABSOLUTELY!!!

Classic band playing with Dylan when he get elektrified....

Date: October 4, 2012 15:38

What do you get for being induced?

I see this all as a scam by the people who run "Rock and Roll Hall of Fame".

Who the hell are they and why should we care who they think is worthy?

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: October 4, 2012 15:51

GravityBoy
What do you get for being induced?

I see this all as a scam by the people who run "Rock and Roll Hall of Fame".

Who the hell are they and why should we care who they think is worthy?

Exactly! 2 guys should be there and that's Keith Richards and Johnny Thunders....then you have Pop and Mock Hall of Fame for the rest....

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: October 4, 2012 16:04

No Moody Blues???? No Chicago? Chicago is in the top 5 for album sale for an American band.

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: October 4, 2012 16:06

Joan Jett? WTF? What the hell did she ever do. Couple of stupid songs that sucked.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: October 4, 2012 16:20

More Hot Rocks
Joan Jett? WTF? What the hell did she ever do. Couple of stupid songs that sucked.

Joan actually has a number of really excellent songs - including her cover of "Star, Star". Cheap Trick needs to be in.

As many have said, it's a real joke now with so many in who don't belong.

Date: October 4, 2012 16:45

What a horrible voice she has!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-10-04 16:45 by tatters.

Posted by: SecondSet ()
Date: October 4, 2012 17:04

RollingFreak

[www.latimes.com]

-Rush
-Deep Purple
-Albert King
-Procol Harum
-Heart
-Randy Newman
-Public Enemy
-N.W.A.
-Donna Summer
-Chic
-Kraftwerk
-The Marvelettes
-The Meters

Face. Palm.

These 7 acts are unquestionably deserving of entry into the Hall of Fame:
Public Enemy
Randy Newman
The Meters
Chic
Albert King
The Marvelettes
either Donna Summer or Giorgio Moroder

These most certainly are not:
Rush
Procol Harum
Heart
Joan Jett And The Blackhearts

Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: October 4, 2012 17:15

thumbs up thumbs up thumbs up thumbs up

Posted by: atip ()
Date: October 4, 2012 17:31

Anyone know if they've ever considered changing the name? By anyone's definition, 'Rock&Roll Hall of Fame' is definitely a misnomer.

Posted by: Braincapers ()
Date: October 4, 2012 17:33

champ72
Deep Purple thumbs up

I'm shocked they aren't already in.

Posted by: 2000man ()
Date: October 4, 2012 17:36

All pop/rock music can trace it's DNA back to either Chuck Berry or Kraftwerk

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: October 4, 2012 17:38

RollingFreak

-Rush
-Deep Purple
-Albert King
-Procol Harum
-Heart
-Randy Newman
-Public Enemy
-N.W.A.
-Donna Summer
-Chic
-Kraftwerk
-The Marvelettes
-The Meters

I started getting pissed off about the list in 1990, the first year that the Lovin' Spoonful and the Small Faces were eligible, and didn't get nominated.

It took ten years for the Spoonful, and the Small Faces only got in last year, in as an unprecedented "two-fer" with the Faces. I would have bet my life that the only reason they rushed in a Faces induction was so that they could nominate the Black Crowes or The Replacements this year without looking stupid for putting them in before a band that was a great influence on them.

I'm surprised that the Paul Shaffer, the music director for the ceremony, doesn't put his foot down and demand that Chicago get inducted, because he's always playing their stuff going in and out of commercial breaks on the Letterman show.

Joan Jett? Maybe some day...I'd put her big anthem on the same level as "Rock n' Roll All Night" by Kiss (who, like the Monkees, took on the Hall and Citizen Wenner, and are now just being messed with ) but they at least wrote their song, and a bunch of other great rock tunes. She gets in before Tommy James, who wrote one of her biggest hits? And I bet I think even Joan thinks it's a shame that she's inducted before T-Rex.

I actually like Kraftwerk, but just because their records sit on my shelf doesn't make their music rock. If the boundaries are that soft, why not go with Sparks or Roxy Music?

Procol Harum is a favorite, glad to see them. I guess you'd call this an inroad to prog, so it may bode well for Yes. Deep Purple is another group that has been messed with for years. They may have been impacted from too much airplay during of the summer of '73, when a lot of us suffered from an excess of "Smoke On the Water" inhalation. But even today, when you're out driving and "Highway Star" comes on...how can you deny them?

I know that NWA and Public Enemy are popular, but it seems like, post Donna Summer and Chic, there is a missing decade here in their R&B selections.

Where is RICK JAMES? Or Teddy Pendergrass, for that matter? There were some great acts like The Whispers during the 80's on the Solar Records label... now consigned to the dustbin.

When you look at the roster, you can see some TV show programming at work. I see a quota system here: the populist concessions (Deep Purple, Rush ) the vintage remnants, the hipster cult faves, and for the younger (in their 40's now ) viewers, the newer acts.

I hate it.

Others still among the missing:

Delaney & Bonnie and Friends/Mott the Hoople/Joe Tex/Harry Nilsson/Humble Pie/Rufus Thomas/James Gang/Guess Who/Clarence Carter/ AND...The Flying Burrito Brothers! ( All those Gram Parsons-loving Stones fans should be up in arms!) AND Little Feat...

Also: great bands from the UK, like The Move or Johnny Kidd and The Pirates, or Slade, or The Jam, who never made it big in the US might as well have never happened.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2012-10-04 23:11 by loog droog.

Goto Page: 12345Next
Current Page: 1 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1742
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home