Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 4 of 5
Re: 2013 Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame nominees
Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: October 5, 2012 15:15

No Moody Blues?
No Three Dog Night?
No Chicago?
No The Guess Who?
No Jim Croce?

Yes the B 52 are in and Joan Jett might be. Why not Debbie Gibson and Tiffany? How about Men Without Hats and Strarland Vocal band. Joan Jett didn't influence anyone. That's all BS. She's a joke.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-10-05 15:16 by More Hot Rocks.

Posted by: 2000man ()
Date: October 5, 2012 17:07

Please, Suzi Quatro before Joan Jett

Posted by: seitan ()
Date: October 5, 2012 19:23

RollingFreak
keefriffhard4life
RollingFreak
I'm absolutely serious in my curiosity. Some people are picking Public Enemy as one of their picks if they were given the choice. I'm honestly curious as to how you guys think they fit in the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame? They don't even strike me as someone remotely connected with the genre, unlike Run DMC who essentially got in because of their connection to Aerosmith for one song.

i think even without the aerosmith tune run dmc would be in. they sample and played a lot rock beats behind their rapping.

public enemy has done the same with rock beats but not as many plus the members appeared on songs by several rock artists (meat loaf and anthrax off the top on my head)
Eh, doesn't really seem enough to be inducted into a Hall specifically for Rock. They haven't really furthered or influenced rock in any way. It has just appeared sometimes within their music. Its as if the Hall tries to find these technicalities to broaden those that get in. Not trying to pick on them or you, they just happen to the punching bag this year that I don't understand.

Heheh...If Public Enemy is not a rock band - then maybe we could say that rolling stones is not a rock band either - they did lot of blues, country, reggae and even disco..rock just appeared sometimes within their music, eh...just kidding. As far as I know - Public Enemy, Beastie Boys and Run DMC were a bridge between rock music and rap - and It has inspired lot of people. I think that's important, - lot of young black kids have found rock music through them, besides Ice T from Public Enemy has recorded with the likes of Motorhead and he even had his own hard rockmetal band The Body Count - there is a link between rock and rap. And those guys are it.

Posted by: GumbootCloggeroo ()
Date: October 5, 2012 19:29

Ice T wasn't in Public Enemy.

Posted by: deeppurple ()
Date: October 5, 2012 21:07

Deep Purple should have been in years ago. The other shame is Rush. I really do not put any stock into the RRHOF anymore. Look at some that have been inducted,sad. No Warren Zevon again this year? The problem to me is Deep Purple. What is one of the first songs anyone learns on guitar? Smoke on the Water. Ritchie Blackmore alone should have been in years ago. I am sure we have a few Rainbow fans here. Look at the Rock scene since the late '80s early '90s. DP and the Rolling Stones have been two of the hardest working groups. Touring non stop. DP is still on the road. Both have done more shows since then they before. Both have put 4 great studios albums and almost the same amount of live CD/DVDs. I have seen both many times. If, you have not seen DP in years do your self a favor and go see them. Btw, DP has a new studio album coming out. Produced by Bob Ezrin of Alice Cooper, Pink Floyd and NIN fame. I am looking forward to it.

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: October 5, 2012 22:06

Rainbow!! Pretty underrated group, and honestly the only thing I have enjoyed Ronnie James Dio in. But yeah, its just ridiculous Deep Purple isn't in. I'm not a fan, but whether you are or not, they should just be in. They are a band every person knows.

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: October 5, 2012 23:42

What about the Archies ?

Posted by: GravityBoy ()
Date: October 5, 2012 23:48

Chas and Dave.

It's tragic they have been ignored.

Posted by: backstreetboy1 ()
Date: October 6, 2012 03:14

deep purple should of been in years ago.

Posted by: shadooby ()
Date: October 6, 2012 03:18

You mean the Rap & Hip-Hop Hall Of Fame nomineesconfused smiley

Date: October 6, 2012 03:50

maybe some names people don't want to see in a ROCK hall of fame but what about kenny rogers, alabama and dolly parton? if they let madonna i why not these coutry artists? alabama is more RNR than madonna

Posted by: slew ()
Date: October 6, 2012 06:23

Sweething - When Reggie Jackson played for Oakland he was good outfielder with a cannon of an arm. I don't know how his skills deteriorated so badly when he got to the Yankees. Please do not compare Kingman to Reggie that is a ridiculous comparison. Reggies stole 28 bases in his 1973 MVP season as well as hitting .293. No AL team won the world series in the 1970's that Reggie did not play for except the 1970 Orioles. That guy was a winner despite being a jerk. he was also one of the most entertaining personalities in the game. That is a foolish comparison. Kingman was not a bum but he should also never be considered to be close to a hall of famer.

Stonesnow - Pete Rose should be in the HOF along with Joe Jackson.

Date: October 6, 2012 06:24

Its not that I don't like Joan Jett she just is not good enough to be in the Hall of Fame.

Posted by: aralla ()
Date: October 6, 2012 07:20

backstreetboy1
deep purple should of been in years ago.

thumbs upthumbs upthumbs up

Where's Thin Lizzy and Cheap Trick and many others classic ROCK and ROLL bands?!

Is it ROCK and ROLL hall of fame or not?!

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: October 6, 2012 07:51

not

Posted by: stonesnow ()
Date: October 6, 2012 07:56

RollingFreak
I believe they choose 6 or 7 of these people:

[www.latimes.com]

-Rush
-Paul Butterfield Blues Band
-Deep Purple
-Albert King
-Procol Harum
-Heart
-Joan Jett And The Blackhearts
-Randy Newman
-Public Enemy
-N.W.A.
-Donna Summer
-Chic
-Kraftwerk
-The Marvelettes
-The Meters

No one really Hall Of Fame worthy is up this year IMO. But then again the Hall has become a joke anyway so who really cares. If forced to choose, I would take the first 7 from Rush to Joan Jett. The rest aren't rock or influential enough to be in.

Joe South wrote Deep Purple's first hit. If it weren't for Joe South, Deep Purple would have otherwise debuted with a Neil Diamond cover...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-10-07 00:46 by stonesnow.

Posted by: stonesnow ()
Date: October 6, 2012 08:16

More Hot Rocks
Joan Jett? WTF? What the hell did she ever do. Couple of stupid songs that sucked.

She was in The Runaways, which means she probably blew producer Kim Fowley, who's friends with Rodney Bingenheimer, and that could probably get you in as a media favorite...because he's [Rodney] the Mayor of the Sunset Strip, and in Kim Fowley's own words: "Rodney's powerful. He can annoint you."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-10-07 00:49 by stonesnow.

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: October 6, 2012 09:58

Leaders in the online poll at the moment are Rush, Deep Purple, Heart, Joan Jett and Albert King. The Meters are way down the list, so get voting if you care....

My 5 for what it's worth:
Deep Purple
Albert King
Butterfield Blues Band
Randy Newman
The Meters

Posted by: BikerDude ()
Date: October 6, 2012 16:08

I believe that all bands who are to be seriously considered must withstand the "Spinal Tap" test. That is, could any or many of their songs be performed by Spinal Tap without changes and seem completely consistant. If so then the Band does not merit serious consideration.

I posit that many rush songs could.
2112 would be a near perfect encore after a rousing version of Stonehenge.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2012-10-06 16:23 by BikerDude.

Date: October 6, 2012 16:36

I'm done with this topic. I read through and it looks like you all want your personal favorites in. Cheap Trick, Thin Lizzy, Rush etc.

I like these bands but they are not worthy of HOF status its like putting a good solid player like Tim Salmon in the baseball HOF they just are not good enough.

The only two that I can see reading through are the Moody Blues and Deep Purple and the Moody Blues don't hold up all that well either they sound very dated with exceptions. Please Breathe Deep the Gathering Gloom, watch light fades from every room. That would be mocked so bad today. I actually love the song but hate the poem. I had on In Search of the Lost Chord one night and that stuff sounds ancient.

Understand people to be in a Hall of Fame you are supposed to be truely great.

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: October 6, 2012 20:52

Slew, I think many do realize that. Yes everyone wants their favorites, but I think thats because the Hall has become such a joke. If there weren't people in like Madonna and ABBA, I think people would take it alittle more seriously and would reconsider their choices. I know most of the ones on my list shouldn't be in because they aren't Hall Of Fame worthy, but I know they are at least better and more rock and roll than Madonna and the like. But yes, I think now the ballot has become less of who's worthy and who people are a fan of. Which is I guess why they put on 2 or 3 older acts, 2 for the late 70s or 80s you might not expect, then newer choices that will draw in a younger audience. So its not about status, just popularity. And I think people would treat it differently, especially with their picks on here, if that weren't the case.

Date: October 7, 2012 02:49

RollingFreak
I believe they choose 6 or 7 of these people:

[www.latimes.com]

-Rush
-Paul Butterfield Blues Band
-Deep Purple
-Albert King
-Procol Harum
-Heart
-Joan Jett And The Blackhearts
-Randy Newman
-Public Enemy
-N.W.A.
-Donna Summer
-Chic
-Kraftwerk
-The Marvelettes
-The Meters

No one really Hall Of Fame worthy is up this year IMO. But then again the Hall has become a joke anyway so who really cares. If forced to choose, I would take the first 7 from Rush to Joan Jett. The rest aren't rock or influential enough to be in.

I suggest
Deep Purple
PublicEnemey
Donna Summer
Kraftwerk
Meters
Chic
and Albert King

But Randy Newman will probably get in. Yawn

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: October 7, 2012 15:34

What about Gordon Lightfoot?

Posted by: deeppurple ()
Date: October 7, 2012 15:41

Gordon lightfoot and Warren Zevon!

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: October 7, 2012 15:45

Don't RUSH to judgement.
Remember they don't give a rat's ass.

2112 is nearly perfect rnr...

GRRR

Posted by: BikerDude ()
Date: October 7, 2012 15:53

Think of it like the movies.
I personally love lots and lots of Horror movies.
Old Frankenstein and Dracula movies.
I love a lot of dumb, "shoot em up" action movies.
But if the question came up if they should get acadamy awards then I'd say no.
And if there was a movie hall of fame I'd likewise probably say that they don't warrent induction.

I think the same holds true for Rock and Roll.
Lots of music that we love that inhabits a sort of "guilty plearuse" status, but not hall of fame.

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: October 7, 2012 16:02

BikerDude
Think of it like the movies.
I personally love lots and lots of Horror movies.
Old Frankenstein and Dracula movies.
I love a lot of dumb, "shoot em up" action movies.
But if the question came up if they should get acadamy awards then I'd say no.
And if there was a movie hall of fame I'd likewise probably say that they don't warrent induction.

I think the same holds true for Rock and Roll.
Lots of music that we love that inhabits a sort of "guilty plearuse" status, but not hall of fame.

Very true, but that certainly hasn't stopped the people who do the voting from inducting their own personal guilty pleasures. I mean, somebody must really love Donna Summer and Chic. This is the fifth time Summer's been nominated. It's the seventh time for Chic!

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: October 7, 2012 16:11

The name "Hall Of Fame" has a sort of mystic quality to it like it really matters in some way.

This 'Hall Of Fame' doesn't matter in the slightest, so let anybody you want in.

GWAR is getting in someday...

Posted by: hbwriter ()
Date: October 7, 2012 22:16

But KISS doesn't deserve i, right? F--k these idiots

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: October 7, 2012 22:32

It is the tourist attraction in Cleveland which doesnt deserve it,
I would love to see some groups start telling the tourist attraction FKU! Esp the so called tough guy gansta rap groups. It would be awesome if supposedly bad ass, tough guy, gangsta rappa Ice Cube told em "FKU I dont want no part of your tourist attraction!, and dont ask me no more or I'll bust a cap in yo azz!"... of course he would have to take time out of making Coors light commercials

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 4 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1867
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home