Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...4950515253545556575859...LastNext
Current Page: 54 of 60
Re: GRRR! The Rolling Stones
Date: September 23, 2012 01:55

Rocket88
There is an entirely different track listing on Wikipedia...

[en.wikipedia.org]!

Track listing (50 track version)

NOTE: All tracks are 2012 remix/remasters

Anyone have any clue as to what songs they may have remixed or is that just the usual error from Wikipedia?

Date: September 23, 2012 01:59

lunar!!!
treaclefingers
WeLoveToPlayTheBlues
Just showed the album cover to my step son, who is 21, and the first thing out of his mouth was "That's stupid".

Just showed the album cover to my daughter, who is 4, and the first thing out of her mouth was "That's stupid".

just showed the album cover to my pet female gorilla and she said 'THAT IS SO HOT!!".....so...

Yer pet female gorilla has shit taste!

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: September 23, 2012 02:27

WeLoveToPlayTheBlues
Rocket88

[en.wikipedia.org]!

Anyone have any clue as to what songs they may have remixed or is that just the usual error from Wikipedia?

Think I can safely say theyre not remixed or remastered...not the UMG songs anyway, as the band's UMG catalogue was remastered in 2009.

Date: September 23, 2012 02:31

Gazza
WeLoveToPlayTheBlues
Rocket88

[en.wikipedia.org]!

Think I can safely say theyre not remixed or remastered...not the UMG songs anyway, as the band's UMG catalogue was remastered in 2009.

Let's hope so - they can't make them any louder can they?

Posted by: RSbestbandever ()
Date: September 23, 2012 03:49

Different listings huh, well, sooner or later we will know the correct line-up of songs for sure.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: September 23, 2012 15:24

Some positive thinking for a change...

Even though there seems to be some variance now concerning the possible track selection, I 'pre-listened' the disk three and four from the Super Deluxe version (by programming the tracks to a given order), to see what kind of presentation of the Stones' music does that make. My idea was to try to listen that by 'fresh ears', that is, what a casual listener (who probably knows just the obvious graetest hits, presented well in disks one and two, plus EXILE that seems to be a kind of 'must' these days - even though I think to most listeners EXILE is a bit too tough one to easily grasp). Though I need to admit, a 'casual listener' might not get the Super Deluxe version, but prefers the shorter and cheaper ones...

So the disks are:

Disk 3
1. I Wanna Be Your Man
2. She Said Yeah
3. Ruby Tuesday
4. Dandelion
5. Mother’s Little Helper
6. Heart Of Stone
7. Time Is On My Side
8. Out Of Time
9. I’m Free
10. As Tears Go By
11. She’s A Rainbow
12. Lady Jane
13. Midnight Rambler
14. You Got The Silver
15. 2000 Light Years From Home
16. That’s How Strong My Love Is
17. Play With Fire
18. I Am Waiting
19. Yesterday’s Papers
20. Salt Of The Earth
21. Shine A Light
22. Sister Morphine
23. Hot Stuff

Disk 4
1. Shattered
2. You Got Me Rocking
3. Saint Of Me
4. Rain Fall Down
5. Don’t Stop
6. Time Waits For No One
7. Dance (Pt 1)
8. Far Away Eyes
9. Moonlight Mile
10. She Was Hot
11. She’s So Cold
12. Highwire
13. Almost Hear You Sigh
14. I Go Wild
15. Beast Of Burden
16. Doo Doo Doo Doo Doo (Heartbreaker)
17. Gloom And Doom
18. One Last Shot

First of all, I need to say that what an incredible band the Rolling Stones is - a new context to listen the familiar songs always give a kind of freash moment to really listen the songs. There are things that I haven't really payed attention for a long time.

The disk three is really an adventure for the people who have pretty fixed idea of "the greatest rock and roll band in the world", and probably seen some of their latter day shows. After two superb openers (damn, "I Wanna Be Your Man" and "She Said Yeah" are energetic, screaming wild rock and roll numbers - punk before the term was invented!), what we have is a league of songs showing what an elegance, melodic, innovative and nuance rich group the Rolling Stones were during the 60's. There are simply so many stunning songs which show why this band was able to compete with The Beatles by their own terms. Some extremily beautiful songs, and what is extremily striking, is how much passion - and some other mental states/atmospheres - the songs express. This disk along wonderfully succeeds in deepening the 'typical' picture we have of The Stones. Yeah, we die hard fans know that (or do we...), but I think the general idea of The Stones is rather one-dimensional. I can easily imagine how many surprises a casual listener might have. "Ouch, they do that kind of stuff as well". "What a hidden gem that is!"...

I especially like how the Elizabethian "Lady Jane" is followed by the bluesy mood of "Midnight Rambler" - works extremily well.

The disk four, after "Shattered" starts by displaying later day Stones, and for much to my surprise, manages well. The consequence of "You Got Me Rocking", "Saint of Me", "Rain Fall Down" and "Don't Stop" sounds a geat compact package, each kind of supporting each other. Even "You Got Me Rocking" works as well as it does in the early part of Stones show: setting the mood to cheer up and rock. "Rain Fell Down" is a better dance song than I thought.

And then, before getting too one-dimnsional, some different gems break the atmosphere - especially some elegant, deep, moody momets of Taylor days: "Time Waits For No One" and "Moonlight Mile" are total winners. The musical surprises, showing how many sided this band really is, follow one after one. My absolute favourite is the follwing sequence:

7. Dance (Pt 1)
8. Far Away Eyes
9. Moonlight Mile
10. She Was Hot

Is there any other rock and roll band which could produce such a diversion of different type of songs and styles, and sounding absulutely original and convincing in each case? From the hottest dance funk grooves of a white band could ever produce, to a tongue-in-cheek country & western song, while the music simply sounding honest and nailing the form, to an etheric masterpiece of transcendental, even progressive landscapes, and then finally to the mastering the basic 'down-to-earth' rock and roll number with still memorable, melodic chorus?

Of the songs choices, I don't bother to complain - I briefly mention that probably 65/67 era is a bit too strongly represented in the disk three, and probably having both "You Got Me Rocking" and "I Go Wild" is too much - I would replace the latter with "One Hit To The Body" or "Rock and A Hard Place" as a better representation of generic stadium rock (both being I think better songs). One could argue that the Big Four - the true golden age - is represented too little, but I think that is justified by thinking that those albums will be picked up first, if one is interest in buying a Stones studio album; this one gives glimpses of their catalog from a larger perspective.

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-09-23 15:36 by Doxa.

Date: September 23, 2012 16:07

They could have been daring and put some of the lesser known hits that in some cases are better songs than others, like She's So Cold and She Was Hot, on the 'normal' edition. But no. Gotta stick with the tried and true, the bland and boring.

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: September 23, 2012 16:10

Doxa, you've sold me, I can't wait to get GRRR! now! What a great review, the Stones should hire you as a publicist. Send it to them, maybe you'll get a free ticket. smileys with beer

Date: September 23, 2012 16:18

WeLoveToPlayTheBlues
They could have been daring and put some of the lesser known hits that in some cases are better songs than others, like She's So Cold and She Was Hot, on the 'normal' edition. But no. Gotta stick with the tried and true, the bland and boring.

I think the problem is that 'greatest hits' by The Rollng Stones is pretty much fixed deal by now, and no one can really do much about it. Like the casual listeners would be disapponted in a Stones stadium show if some of the classical, familiar songs do not turn up, that would be the case as well if those songs would be not to found on 'greatest hits' collection. And there is quite many of them.

Due to the dualist existence of Stones catalog, I can only imagine how many times a disappointed buyer had been swearing that "where the hell "Satisfaction"/"Start Me Up" or that and that sounding song is?!" after buying a supposed greatest hits collection...

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-09-23 16:22 by Doxa.

Date: September 23, 2012 16:25

latebloomer
Doxa, you've sold me, I can't wait to get GRRR! now! What a great review, the Stones should hire you as a publicist. Send it to them, maybe you'll get a free ticket. smileys with beer

Hahaha, I suppose I would be generally way too critical voice for their taste....

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-09-23 16:33 by Doxa.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: September 23, 2012 17:17

lunar!!!
treaclefingers
WeLoveToPlayTheBlues
Just showed the album cover to my step son, who is 21, and the first thing out of his mouth was "That's stupid".

Just showed the album cover to my daughter, who is 4, and the first thing out of her mouth was "That's stupid".

just showed the album cover to my pet female gorilla and she said 'THAT IS SO HOT!!".....so...

smileys with beer

Posted by: lunar!!! ()
Date: September 23, 2012 18:28

WeLoveToPlayTheBlues
lunar!!!
treaclefingers
WeLoveToPlayTheBlues

Yer pet female gorilla has shit taste!

I left her on the zookeepers' front doorstep.....he can buy the album for her...not me!

Posted by: Monkeytonkman ()
Date: September 24, 2012 00:43

Doxa
Some positive thinking for a change...

Even though there seems to be some variance now concerning the possible track selection, I 'pre-listened' the disk three and four from the Super Deluxe version (by programming the tracks to a given order), to see what kind of presentation of the Stones' music does that make. My idea was to try to listen that by 'fresh ears', that is, what a casual listener (who probably knows just the obvious graetest hits, presented well in disks one and two, plus EXILE that seems to be a kind of 'must' these days - even though I think to most listeners EXILE is a bit too tough one to easily grasp). Though I need to admit, a 'casual listener' might not get the Super Deluxe version, but prefers the shorter and cheaper ones...

So the disks are:

Disk 3
1. I Wanna Be Your Man
2. She Said Yeah
3. Ruby Tuesday
4. Dandelion
5. Mother’s Little Helper
6. Heart Of Stone
7. Time Is On My Side
8. Out Of Time
9. I’m Free
10. As Tears Go By
11. She’s A Rainbow
12. Lady Jane
13. Midnight Rambler
14. You Got The Silver
15. 2000 Light Years From Home
16. That’s How Strong My Love Is
17. Play With Fire
18. I Am Waiting
19. Yesterday’s Papers
20. Salt Of The Earth
21. Shine A Light
22. Sister Morphine
23. Hot Stuff

Disk 4
1. Shattered
2. You Got Me Rocking
3. Saint Of Me
4. Rain Fall Down
5. Don’t Stop
6. Time Waits For No One
7. Dance (Pt 1)
8. Far Away Eyes
9. Moonlight Mile
10. She Was Hot
11. She’s So Cold
12. Highwire
13. Almost Hear You Sigh
14. I Go Wild
15. Beast Of Burden
16. Doo Doo Doo Doo Doo (Heartbreaker)
17. Gloom And Doom
18. One Last Shot

First of all, I need to say that what an incredible band the Rolling Stones is - a new context to listen the familiar songs always give a kind of freash moment to really listen the songs. There are things that I haven't really payed attention for a long time.

The disk three is really an adventure for the people who have pretty fixed idea of "the greatest rock and roll band in the world", and probably seen some of their latter day shows. After two superb openers (damn, "I Wanna Be Your Man" and "She Said Yeah" are energetic, screaming wild rock and roll numbers - punk before the term was invented!), what we have is a league of songs showing what an elegance, melodic, innovative and nuance rich group the Rolling Stones were during the 60's. There are simply so many stunning songs which show why this band was able to compete with The Beatles by their own terms. Some extremily beautiful songs, and what is extremily striking, is how much passion - and some other mental states/atmospheres - the songs express. This disk along wonderfully succeeds in deepening the 'typical' picture we have of The Stones. Yeah, we die hard fans know that (or do we...), but I think the general idea of The Stones is rather one-dimensional. I can easily imagine how many surprises a casual listener might have. "Ouch, they do that kind of stuff as well". "What a hidden gem that is!"...

I especially like how the Elizabethian "Lady Jane" is followed by the bluesy mood of "Midnight Rambler" - works extremily well.

The disk four, after "Shattered" starts by displaying later day Stones, and for much to my surprise, manages well. The consequence of "You Got Me Rocking", "Saint of Me", "Rain Fall Down" and "Don't Stop" sounds a geat compact package, each kind of supporting each other. Even "You Got Me Rocking" works as well as it does in the early part of Stones show: setting the mood to cheer up and rock. "Rain Fell Down" is a better dance song than I thought.

And then, before getting too one-dimnsional, some different gems break the atmosphere - especially some elegant, deep, moody momets of Taylor days: "Time Waits For No One" and "Moonlight Mile" are total winners. The musical surprises, showing how many sided this band really is, follow one after one. My absolute favourite is the follwing sequence:

7. Dance (Pt 1)
8. Far Away Eyes
9. Moonlight Mile
10. She Was Hot

Is there any other rock and roll band which could produce such a diversion of different type of songs and styles, and sounding absulutely original and convincing in each case? From the hottest dance funk grooves of a white band could ever produce, to a tongue-in-cheek country & western song, while the music simply sounding honest and nailing the form, to an etheric masterpiece of transcendental, even progressive landscapes, and then finally to the mastering the basic 'down-to-earth' rock and roll number with still memorable, melodic chorus?

Of the songs choices, I don't bother to complain - I briefly mention that probably 65/67 era is a bit too strongly represented in the disk three, and probably having both "You Got Me Rocking" and "I Go Wild" is too much - I would replace the latter with "One Hit To The Body" or "Rock and A Hard Place" as a better representation of generic stadium rock (both being I think better songs). One could argue that the Big Four - the true golden age - is represented too little, but I think that is justified by thinking that those albums will be picked up first, if one is interest in buying a Stones studio album; this one gives glimpses of their catalog from a larger perspective.

- Doxa

What a great read. Sweetthumbs up

i'd still keep I Go Wild though.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-09-24 14:14 by Monkeytonkman.

Posted by: backstreetboy1 ()
Date: September 24, 2012 03:29

doxa,who gives a crap if you own all the songs.

Date: September 24, 2012 04:43

backstreetboy1
doxa,who gives a crap if you own all the songs.

what a truly profound post...great contribution.

Date: September 24, 2012 14:57

Winning Ugly VXII
DandelionPowderman
Love Is Strong at #14 and Like A Rolling Stone at #12, as well as Anyone Seen My Baby at #23 are clearly hits, no doubt about that.

I'd like to see some real proof of Going To A Go Go being a bigger hit in the UK than Love Is Strong as well grinning smiley

As I understand it,"Going to a Go-Go" was # 25 or # 26 in the U.K. and "Love is Strong" was # 14 in the U.K..

Sorry. I meant the US.

Date: September 24, 2012 17:13

Think Kellogg's will be a sponsor for the faux shows in November?

Posted by: thabo ()
Date: September 24, 2012 17:32

Rocket88

"Come On" (Berry) (1963)
"Time Is on My Side" (Meade) (1964)
"It's All Over Now" (Womack/Womack) (1964)
"Little Red Rooster" (Dixon) (1964)
"The Last Time" (1965)
"(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction" (1965)
"I'm Free" (1965)
"Get Off of My Cloud" (1965)
"19th Nervous Breakdown" (1966)
"Mother's Little Helper" (1966)
"Paint It, Black" (1966)
"Under My Thumb" (1966)
"Lady Jane" (1966)
"Ruby Tuesday" (1967)
"Let's Spend the Night Together" (1967)
"She's a Rainbow" (1967)

Disc Two

"Jumpin' Jack Flash" (1968)
"Street Fighting Man" (1968)
"Sympathy for the Devil" (1968)
"No Expectations" (1968)
"Honky Tonk Women" (1969)
"Gimme Shelter" (1969)
"Midnight Rambler" (recorded live 11-28-69 ; released 1970)
"Let It Bleed" (1969)
"You Can't Always Get What You Want" (1969)
"Brown Sugar" (1971)
"Bitch" (1971)
"Wild Horses" (1971)
"Tumbling Dice" (1972)
"Happy" (1972)
"Angie" (1973)
"Doo Doo Doo Doo Doo (Heartbreaker)" (1973)
"It's Only Rock 'n Roll (But I Like It)" (1974)

"Gloom and Doom" (2012)
"One Last Shot" (2012)

What a huge dissapointment why didn't they go for the more obscure but brilliant songs like

King Bee
I am Waiting
Stray Cat Blues
Dance Little Sister
Winter
2000 Man
She Smiled Sweetly
don't Wanna be your Slave
Laugh I nearly Died
Mona
If You can't Rock Me
Backstreet Girl
Spider and the Fly (Stripped version)
Send it to Me
Harlem Shuffle
The Under Assistant West Coast Promotion Man
Crazy Mamma
Monkey Man
Out of Control (live version)
Everydoby Needs Somebody to Love
Too Much Blood
Moon is Up
Can't You Hear Me Knocking?
Stoned
Plundered My Soul
Off the Hook
Just Wanna Make Love to You
Shattered

Etc etc, there are so many brilliant Stones songs why the hell would they come with a re-issue of "the greates hits" AGAIN?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-09-24 17:40 by thabo.

Date: September 24, 2012 17:45

thabo
What a huge dissapointment why didn't they go for the more obscure but brilliant songs like

King Bee
I am Waiting
Stray Cat Blues
Dance Little Sister
Winter
2000 Man
She Smiled Sweetly
Laugh I nearly Died
Mona
If You can't Rock Me
Backstreet Girl
Send it to Me
Harlem Shuffle
Crazy Mamma
Monkey Man
Too Much Blood
Moon is Up
Stoned
Plundered My Soul
Off the Hook
Shattered

Etc etc, there are so many brilliant Stones songs why the hell would they come with a re-issue of "the greates hits" AGAIN?

Because there isn't a song called 'don't Wanna be your Slave'?

Posted by: andrewt ()
Date: September 24, 2012 19:09

Rocket88

King Bee
I am Waiting
Stray Cat Blues
Dance Little Sister
Winter
2000 Man
She Smiled Sweetly
Laugh I nearly Died
Mona
If You can't Rock Me
Backstreet Girl
Send it to Me
Harlem Shuffle
Crazy Mamma
Monkey Man
Too Much Blood
Moon is Up
Stoned
Plundered My Soul
Off the Hook
Shattered

Simply because the record is not meant for the collector, only the completist.

By now, anyone could have made their own CDs with the same tracklist as Grrr (minus the two new ones, but just wait a day or two after release for that), or as I'm sure most of have done, compiled our own best-of. You simply can't pick 20 "lesser" Stones "hits" and be definitive. From the list above I'd be bitching that She Smiled Sweetly and Backstreet Girl and there instead of the far superior (in my mind) Sittin' On A Fence and Miss Amanda Jones. I'd pick 100 Years Ago way before Winter and so on and so forth. When I make a CD for someone who asks me "what are some good Stones tunes that you don't hear on the radio" (Which is like asking Flanders to read from the Bible) my CD is

Citadel/Stray Cat Blues/Doncha Bother Me/Miss Amanda Jones/Sittin On A Fence/Child Of The Moon/Live With Me/Monkey Man/Loving Cup/Prodigal Son/Can't You Hear Me Knocking/Rocks Off/Sway/I Got the Blues/Let It Loose/Bitch/All Down The Line/Let It Bleed/100 Years Ago/Moonlight Mile.

If they like that, I've got more where that came from...

Posted by: kish_stoned ()
Date: September 24, 2012 22:07

doxa, thanks for the list and don't take notice of the backstboy he is jealous as you beat him to it,the joke is on him.

Posted by: Undercover1 ()
Date: September 25, 2012 05:58

I said this in another thread, but now I am saying it here.....

With all the negative responses regarding GRRRR and the gorilla......wouldnt it have been cool if GRRR was called something like CROSSFIRE HURRICANE...50 YEARS OF THE ROLLING STONES... and make it the official soundtrack to the film AND the 50th Anniversary "best of" all wrapped in one?

Undercover1

Date: September 25, 2012 08:53

The tracklist......oh the tracklist......is somehow so boring to me......like the tracklist talks before or after a show when they are touring.....forgetting to enjoy the whole thing, because of the tracklist...is soooooo important....!!!!!

Who cares soooo much ??? Obviously the most actively posters on here like that - but there are also others who read and may think like me (I suppose) It also ruins the thread I think. There are fans and other fans...

Okay, I know, I do not have to read it, if I don´t like it, but it´s an open discussion. I really think nobody who decides cares what others think that could be on the official tracklist or not. A lot of that is just marketing (which I also do not like - but that´s the fact).You can make your own personal tracklist whatever you like, but does it matter?? I think it´s really boring, but don´t get me wrong, I do not want to offend anybody..............just my opinion.......

Date: September 25, 2012 09:49

WeLoveToPlayTheBlues
thabo

King Bee
I am Waiting
Stray Cat Blues
Dance Little Sister
Winter
2000 Man
She Smiled Sweetly
Laugh I nearly Died
Mona
If You can't Rock Me
Backstreet Girl
Send it to Me
Harlem Shuffle
Crazy Mamma
Monkey Man
Too Much Blood
Moon is Up
Stoned
Plundered My Soul
Off the Hook
Shattered

You stand corrected:

[www.amazon.com]

No need to thank me.

Posted by: Dayokay ()
Date: September 25, 2012 17:31

Undercover1 - yes. That would have been much better by a country mile. It's such a good idea, I wonder if they'll get wind of it, and change their plans?*

Dayo

* I know, I know

Posted by: GumbootCloggeroo ()
Date: September 25, 2012 18:42

Doxa

Is there any other rock and roll band which could produce such a diversion of different type of songs and styles, and sounding absulutely original and convincing in each case?
- Doxa
Yep, a band called Ween. They play even more styles than the Stones do and they make them sound very original and authentic. Fantastic band.

Plenty of other bands play different styles, as well, I'm sure. The Stones aren't unique in that regard smiling smiley

Date: September 25, 2012 19:12

Undercover1
I said this in another thread, but now I am saying it here.....

With all the negative responses regarding GRRRR and the gorilla......wouldnt it have been cool if GRRR was called something like CROSSFIRE HURRICANE...50 YEARS OF THE ROLLING STONES... and make it the official soundtrack to the film AND the 50th Anniversary "best of" all wrapped in one?

Undercover1

Yes it would have been cool if it was. Way more appropriate.

Date: September 25, 2012 19:17

treaclefingers
WeLoveToPlayTheBlues
thabo

You stand corrected:

[www.amazon.com]

No need to thank me.

I won't.

Date: September 25, 2012 19:19

Listen to how she says the hits comp title...

Posted by: thabo ()
Date: September 25, 2012 23:37

treaclefingers
You stand corrected:

[www.amazon.com]

No need to thank me.

Well, I was more thinking in this direction

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...4950515253545556575859...LastNext
Current Page: 54 of 60

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1758
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home