Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234
Current Page: 4 of 4
Re: Bridges To Babylon A True Classic
Date: September 4, 2012 22:18

lunar!!!
MightyStonesStillRollin50
whitem8
A great album! One of my favorite later day releases. I agree that many people close their ears after '81. BTB is a daring album in many ways, yet also finds that familiar groove of classic stones. Some great writing and melodies on the disc. Full of sleazy rock, some great ballads, and some good gospel rock as well. Everything about the album I like, and the tour was fantastic. They seemed very energized by the release and the numbers got a good response from the audience. And it has three, THREE, great Keith songs on it. One if his best reggae numbers, and two hauting torch songs. I think when Mick and Keith are at each other's throats it makes for more compelling songs. Seems to fit, by all accounts they were arguing quite a bit over BTB, and then ABB was a love fest and it seemed languid and heartless in many ways...

Excellent comments. You are giving me goosebumps. I expect the next album to be just as good.

i expect the next album to be 48 old reissues and two new tracks

I was speaking of the new album to be released in 2013. Not the compilation.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: September 5, 2012 00:00

Except for "Might As Well Get Juiced (*) " I don't like an other song ...this ain't a Rolling Stones record for me...
(*) I would love to hear an instrumental version of this song

Posted by: mailexile67 ()
Date: September 5, 2012 00:16

I don't like Bridges it is too much a "no Stones album"!I like "Out of control", "Already over me" and "How can I stop", but the rest is too weak and the production is too polish...between the latter album, Voodoo is better and ABB is more than this.

Posted by: slew ()
Date: September 5, 2012 05:18

Too Tight is a nice little rocker that I've always liked

Posted by: The Worst. ()
Date: September 5, 2012 22:25

stonesnow
Aw, c'mom, Keef doesn't even play on Saint Of Me and a couple others from Bulges to Bubble On. MightyRollingStonesStill50, how about the first three albums, since they're playing live again, or even the fourth? Tell Mick that Talkin' 'Bout You should be revived, or Heart Of Stone, or especially their cover of If You Need Me--stuff they haven't done in so long but should do again...

Well, he doesn't play guitar on 100 Years Ago, Heartbreaker, Hide Your Love, Winter, Can You Hear the Music? either - so how do you rate Goat's Head Soup?

Posted by: tomcasagranda ()
Date: September 5, 2012 22:28

I like it, but then I like most of Voodoo and some of Bigger.

Steel Wheels always leaves me just that little bit cold, yet I still attempt to listen to it.

Date: September 6, 2012 00:46

What added to B2B's depth was that they took it on the road. they literally did it: they took their new album on the road. played the hell out of it; 'Saint' and 'Control' were highlights of every show. So much that I don't understand that they were shelved afterwards. 'Switch', "Thief', "You dont have to mean it' were solid.
Like Doxa was saying the songs lacked a bit of depth - well that is why a band takes them on the road, and discovers them.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: September 6, 2012 00:52

Max'sKansasCity
This was a fun show.... Dodger Stadium and LA were rocking.

Hey Max, were you at Dodger that night? I was there.

Date: September 6, 2012 00:54

For me, this was the Vegas Stones low point. I did enjoy Saint of Me and Out of Control (once I heard it in concert), and Thief is excellent...not much else though.

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: September 6, 2012 01:09

treaclefingers
Max'sKansasCity

First night (only night?)... 15th row on the floor.... didnt have access to the anywhere but the floor, which was fine...

Jagger said "We're gonna have to turn the stage around because there are so many VIP famous people back stage" funny!.... The show rocked.... my first hearing of Saint of Me live..... IT WAS AWESOME!!! one of my fav Stones ever....

We spent the entire opening act outside the open end on the Dodger horseshoe trying to buy scalped tickets.... and I recall thinking... WOW!! The Wallflowers have a bunch of songs I know.... and it sounds really good back here.... we waited out the scalpers.. they dropped their inital ask prices by $200.00 and BAM!!! we were in>> 15TH ROW STONES!!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-09-06 01:11 by Max'sKansasCity.

Posted by: oldschool ()
Date: September 6, 2012 03:50

Saw them in Boston and Miami on that tour and thought they were great. Have a nive collection of tour posters and shirts form that tour..one of the last great tours IMHO as Keef and Ronnie were still playing well.......

Posted by: backstreetboy1 ()
Date: September 6, 2012 03:56

nowhere near as good as abb.

Posted by: Muddyw ()
Date: September 6, 2012 09:59

Bridges and Voodoo are way better produced/mixed than Bigger Bang. Allthough musically I like all three of them!

Actually Bridges sounds more like a "Bang" than the sound of A Bigger Bang ;-).

Date: September 6, 2012 10:37

The Worst.
stonesnow
Aw, c'mom, Keef doesn't even play on Saint Of Me and a couple others from Bulges to Bubble On. MightyRollingStonesStill50, how about the first three albums, since they're playing live again, or even the fourth? Tell Mick that Talkin' 'Bout You should be revived, or Heart Of Stone, or especially their cover of If You Need Me--stuff they haven't done in so long but should do again...

Well, he doesn't play guitar on 100 Years Ago, Heartbreaker, Hide Your Love, Winter, Can You Hear the Music? either - so how do you rate Goat's Head Soup?

He plays bass on Heartbreaker and he plays guitar (wah-wah) on Can You Hear The Music.

However, he's not playing on Moonlight Mile or Sway.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: September 6, 2012 10:44

DandelionPowderman
The Worst.
stonesnow

He plays bass on Heartbreaker and he plays guitar (wah-wah) on Can You Hear The Music.

Are we sure about that? I mean them 2 songs is the highlights on SF...

2 1 2 0

Date: September 6, 2012 10:49

Come On
DandelionPowderman
The Worst.
stonesnow

Are we sure about that? I mean them 2 songs is the highlights on SF...

Yep, Keith had a hand in writing MM (He called his riff "The japanese thing"), but he didn't play on it. Jagger plays the acoustic.

Sway is Jagger on rhythm guitar, Keith on background vocals only.

Personally, although MM is one of my favourite tunes, we shouldn't forget highlights like Brown Sugar, Wild Horses or I Got The Blues winking smiley

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: September 6, 2012 10:59

Suddenly I got a newborn respect for Micks playing Rhythm-guitar abilities...winking smiley

2 1 2 0

Date: September 6, 2012 11:06

DandelionPowderman
The Worst.
stonesnow

I wrote that he doesn't play GUITAR on the listed tracks, I know he plays bass on Heartbreaker. But you may be right about Can You Hear the Music.

Date: September 6, 2012 11:08

The Worst.
DandelionPowderman
The Worst.
stonesnow

I wrote that he doesn't play GUITAR on the listed tracks, I know he plays bass on Heartbreaker. But you may be right about Can You Hear the Music.

Bass guitar? winking smiley

Date: September 6, 2012 11:47

DandelionPowderman
The Worst.
DandelionPowderman
The Worst.
stonesnow

Can You hear the Music must be a Keith riff that went a different way. No way Keith would arrange this kind of plodding rhythm. On the other hand the riff is very prominent in the song; and if it had been a Taylor riff we'd have heard about it by now. He would have listed it among his contributions. And most likely be playing it in shows.
CYHTM is a song that at very first I liked, then totally dismissed, and now like very much again. Matter of fact - I'd love to hear this one live. Re-arranged.

Date: September 6, 2012 11:58

Palace Revolution 2000
DandelionPowderman
The Worst.
DandelionPowderman
The Worst.
stonesnow

Can You hear the Music must be a Keith riff that went a different way. No way Keith would arrange this kind of plodding rhythm. On the other hand the riff is very prominent in the song; and if it had been a Taylor riff we'd have heard about it by now. He would have listed it among his contributions. And most likely be playing it in shows.
CYHTM is a song that at very first I liked, then totally dismissed, and now like very much again. Matter of fact - I'd love to hear this one live. Re-arranged.

I like CYHTM, too, and it's definitely Keith playing the riff. I can't see that going a different way? The structure is archtypical Keith, but the touch of wah-wah might not be...

Date: September 6, 2012 14:14

I just did some quick research on Can You Hear the Music.

According to Keno "Keith Richards wrote the guitar riff, but he is not featured on the final cut."
(http://www.keno.org/stones_lyrics/canyouhear.html)

And in a 1975 interview Keith said that it was his riff, "(...) but got taken up by others in the band. Those songs got turned into something I didn't even imagine."
(http://www.timeisonourside.com/SOCanYouHear.html)

A search in Zentgraf's database shows that CYHTM was recorded during two sessions:
The first in nov/dec 1972 (when all backing tracks for GHS were recorded), but notes that this version of CYHTM is an "unverified early version".
The second session in May 1973, was, as Zentgraf points out, done partially without KR. However, he is listed by Zentgraf on the final version released on GHS as one of two guitar players on CYHTM.

Date: September 6, 2012 14:36

The Worst.
I just did some quick research on Can You Hear the Music.

According to Keno "Keith Richards wrote the guitar riff, but he is not featured on the final cut."
(http://www.keno.org/stones_lyrics/canyouhear.html)

And in a 1975 interview Keith said that it was his riff, "(...) but got taken up by others in the band. Those songs got turned into something I didn't even imagine."
(http://www.timeisonourside.com/SOCanYouHear.html)

A search in Zentgraf's database shows that CYHTM was recorded during two sessions:
The first in nov/dec 1972 (when all backing tracks for GHS were recorded), but notes that this version of CYHTM is an "unverified early version".
The second session in May 1973, was, as Zentgraf points out, done partially without KR. However, he is listed by Zentgraf on the final version released on GHS as one of two guitar players on CYHTM.

The source with the Keith-statement ("my riff got picked up) credits Keith as one of the guitar players.

In fact, I think Keith meant that the song CYHTM was taken in a different direction, not his riff. On Time Waits For No One (he talks about that song, too), it's clearly Taylor playing his riff.

The wah-wah riff has Keith's playing style all over it. The only one who could have done something similar is Jagger, but I doubt he played it, much due to what happens with the guitar on the bridges.

Date: September 6, 2012 16:37

Max'sKansasCity
treaclefingers
Max'sKansasCity

First night (only night?)... 15th row on the floor.... didnt have access to the anywhere but the floor, which was fine...

Jagger said "We're gonna have to turn the stage around because there are so many VIP famous people back stage" funny!.... The show rocked.... my first hearing of Saint of Me live..... IT WAS AWESOME!!! one of my fav Stones ever....

We spent the entire opening act outside the open end on the Dodger horseshoe trying to buy scalped tickets.... and I recall thinking... WOW!! The Wallflowers have a bunch of songs I know.... and it sounds really good back here.... we waited out the scalpers.. they dropped their inital ask prices by $200.00 and BAM!!! we were in>> 15TH ROW STONES!!!

No you're right, two shows if memory serves. A friend of mine told me he had Stones tickets FREE, so I flew down to LA, only to find he didn't actually have the tickets yet. First night went by, no tickets. Second night (actually before the show, still didn't have the tickets, saw James Woods in a restaurant in West Hollywood wearing a leather jacket with giant stones tongue on back), I was waiting nervously and we were going to go down to the show to see if we could get scalpers tickets, and his friend came through. Whew.

Great show, loved it. First time I'd ever experienced a third of the audience emptying while Keith came on and did his set.

A great experience overall.

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: September 6, 2012 16:54

treaclefingers

No you're right, two shows if memory serves. A friend of mine told me he had Stones tickets FREE, so I flew down to LA, only to find he didn't actually have the tickets yet. First night went by, no tickets. Second night (actually before the show, still didn't have the tickets, saw James Woods in a restaurant in West Hollywood wearing a leather jacket with giant stones tongue on back), I was waiting nervously and we were going to go down to the show to see if we could get scalpers tickets, and his friend came through. Whew.

Great show, loved it. First time I'd ever experienced a third of the audience emptying while Keith came on and did his set.

A great experience overall.

smiling smiley Great story... nothing better than F R E E S T O N E S !

I think they tend to "pump up" for shows in music towns. It may be just my imagination, but the times I have seen them play in LA, and one time I saw them in Nashville, they seemed especially "on it".... those shows are among my favorites.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-09-06 17:20 by Max'sKansasCity.

Posted by: custom55 ()
Date: September 8, 2012 21:14

attended both nights

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-09-08 21:16 by custom55.

Date: September 9, 2012 02:04

I actually like this album. At times I've loved it. Most times though I think it should have had number of tracks left off. Great title though - and fantastic tour. Fantastic artwork, the whole deal.

Classic LP? Maybe a "modern day Stones classic" classic album - it's a thousand times more interesting than Voodoo Lounge. But certianly not a classic Stones LP.

Goto Page: Previous1234
Current Page: 4 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1833
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home