Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4
Bridges To Babylon A True Classic
Date: September 4, 2012 05:21

Here is another Stones album that is vastly underrated, in my opinion. Ranks right up there with the so called Big 4. Out Of Control, Saint Of Me, and Thief In The Night are as good as any Stones song ever written. Already Over Me, You Don't Have To Mean It, Flip The Switch, and How Can I Stop are all powerful songs in their own right. This is a true classic and one day will be recognized as such.

Re: Bridges To Babylon A True Classic
Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: September 4, 2012 05:28

I liked it.... But (based on a lot of posts I read here) mnay of these people stopped listening, and/or turned off their minds, to new music in 1973-74... so expect another incoming barrage from the grumpys.... Me, on the other hand, I thought this was a fine album and fun tour... but I am pretty easy to please...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-09-04 05:34 by Max'sKansasCity.

Date: September 4, 2012 05:30

AND... I like the gold tongue a lot

Date: September 4, 2012 05:33

This was a fun show.... Dodger Stadium and LA were rocking.

Posted by: TeaAtThree ()
Date: September 4, 2012 05:39

I agree. All those who say "Tattoo You" was their last listenable album just have closed minds. I was suspicious after hearing "ASMB" as the single -- another mind-boggling choice -- but found the record to be enjoyable and fresh. While Voodoo Lounge was nostalgic, BtoB was somewhat more daring. One or two songs too long (choose your own -- mine are Always Suffering, and Too Tight) but that is the curse of the CD era.

T@3

Date: September 4, 2012 05:42

TeaAtThree
I agree. All those who say "Tattoo You" was their last listenable album just have closed minds. I was suspicious after hearing "ASMB" as the single -- another mind-boggling choice -- but found the record to be enjoyable and fresh. While Voodoo Lounge was nostalgic, BtoB was somewhat more daring. One or two songs too long (choose your own -- mine are Always Suffering, and Too Tight) but that is the curse of the CD era.

T@3

Daring, yes indeed!thumbs up

Date: September 4, 2012 05:44

"Out of Control" is a great song.

I loved this concert in St Louie....
We had 7th row aisle seats and we rocked it... it was AWESOME!!!
That was when $350.00 paid to the scalpers bought you a damned decent ticket on the 7th row. Where today $350 is face value for seats in the balcnoey in back of the stadium and 7th row costs $1000-2000... I KNEW then that $350 was a fair price... especially for the PPV show, which would be recorded for posterity... HELL YEAH!!! I need a time machine.. I wanna go again!

I saw that tour a bunch... opening night in Chicago.. In Columbus the next weekend... in Nashville... in Oklahoma.... in LA at Dodger... in St Louie for the PPV.... What a gas gas gas......and back when life was still worth living.

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 2012-09-04 06:25 by Max'sKansasCity.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: September 4, 2012 05:46

A couple good songs, but pretty disposable. I no longer own this one, or Voodoo Lounge. I liked Gun Face and Might As Well Get Juiced when it came out, but they sounded dated pretty fast. I remember liking OUt of Control when the performed it on No Security with the nice horns. I was also at Dodger Stadium. The whole thing came to a crashing halt when Daryll shit the stage when he screwed up the bass part to Anybody Seen My Baby. I remember thinking, "I thought you were the hot shot jazz player who wowed Miles Davis."

Date: September 4, 2012 05:49

24FPS
A couple good songs, but pretty disposable. I no longer own this one, or Voodoo Lounge. I liked Gun Face and Might As Well Get Juiced when it came out, but they sounded dated pretty fast. I remember liking OUt of Control when the performed it on No Security with the nice horns. I was also at Dodger Stadium. The whole thing came to a crashing halt when Daryll shit the stage when he screwed up the bass part to Anybody Seen My Baby. I remember thinking, "I thought you were the hot shot jazz player who wowed Miles Davis."

Bridges is destined to be the Exile of the future.

Date: September 4, 2012 06:08

One of my lucky coins... front and back

Posted by: slew ()
Date: September 4, 2012 06:19

Mighty - A much better album than Dirty Work. Up there with the big four No Way!! However, this album had the Stones taking some chances and overall it's pretty good. I like Low Down a lot. How Can I Stop is one of the best pieces of music the Stones have ever put on record. A very solid album indeed!

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: September 4, 2012 06:29

A great album! One of my favorite later day releases. I agree that many people close their ears after '81. BTB is a daring album in many ways, yet also finds that familiar groove of classic stones. Some great writing and melodies on the disc. Full of sleazy rock, some great ballads, and some good gospel rock as well. Everything about the album I like, and the tour was fantastic. They seemed very energized by the release and the numbers got a good response from the audience. And it has three, THREE, great Keith songs on it. One if his best reggae numbers, and two hauting torch songs. I think when Mick and Keith are at each other's throats it makes for more compelling songs. Seems to fit, by all accounts they were arguing quite a bit over BTB, and then ABB was a love fest and it seemed languid and heartless in many ways...

Date: September 4, 2012 06:32

whitem8
A great album! One of my favorite later day releases. I agree that many people close their ears after '81. BTB is a daring album in many ways, yet also finds that familiar groove of classic stones. Some great writing and melodies on the disc. Full of sleazy rock, some great ballads, and some good gospel rock as well. Everything about the album I like, and the tour was fantastic. They seemed very energized by the release and the numbers got a good response from the audience. And it has three, THREE, great Keith songs on it. One if his best reggae numbers, and two hauting torch songs. I think when Mick and Keith are at each other's throats it makes for more compelling songs. Seems to fit, by all accounts they were arguing quite a bit over BTB, and then ABB was a love fest and it seemed languid and heartless in many ways...

Excellent comments. You are giving me goosebumps. I expect the next album to be just as good.

Date: September 4, 2012 06:40

First of all... get fkn DM off stage yechhhh... then.. Saint of Me... Oh yeah..

Love that song... love that version... Jagger is great... Ronnie is great.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-09-04 06:47 by Max'sKansasCity.

Date: September 4, 2012 06:48

Max'sKansasCity
First of all... get fkn DM off stage yechhhh... then.. Saint of Me... Oh yeah..

Love that song... love that version... Jagger is great... Ronnie is great.

thumbs upthumbs up

Date: September 4, 2012 06:49

Max'sKansasCity
"Out of Control" is a great song.

I loved this concert in St Louie....
We had 7th row aisle seats and we rocked it... it was AWESOME!!!
That was when $350.00 paid to the scalpers bought you a damned decent ticket on the 7th row. Where today $350 is face value for seats in the balcnoey in back of the stadium and 7th row costs $1000-2000... I KNEW then that $350 was a fair price... especially for the PPV show, which would be recorded for posterity... HELL YEAH!!! I need a time machine.. I wanna go again!

I saw that tour a bunch... opening night in Chicago.. In Columbus the next weekend... in Nashville... in Oklahoma.... in LA at Dodger... in St Louie for the PPV.... What a gas gas gas......and back when life was still worth living.

Oh yes, baby!thumbs upthumbs up

Posted by: deadegad ()
Date: September 4, 2012 06:50

Two Thumbs up for BTB!!

Date: September 4, 2012 06:53

[www.iorr.org]
TWA Dome
St. Louis, MO
Friday, Dec. 12, 1997
Review by Bjørnulf Vik
This was the show they were broadcasting live all over USA, so this review is written for all of you living outside USA, not being able to see this broadcast live on "Pay Per View" television.

The show was in the quite new TWA Dome, previously only used for concerts by U2, some weeks ago, when they had 10,000 empty seats. This time it seemed like all 40,000 (or was it 35.000?) seats were sold out. The sound was a typical dome sound. Early on in the show it was like playing loud in the bathroom, but it improved for some reason as they turned up the volme, later on in the show. On TV, I would guess the sound was perfect, right off the mixing table.

It was nice having an indoor dome for the show, as outside it was 30F or so, i.e. to the freezing point. Inside, it was packed and hot.

The Dome was covered by spotlights, all around. When the show started at 9pm sharp, the blue spots scanned all over the crowd, making a great look on the TV, I guess (I have yet to see it...).

The show went on pretty much like in Atlanta 3 days earlier, but they had added some songs for the special guests.

Dave Matthews did a great duet with Mick on Wild Horses. Tah Mahal, as you may remember from the Rock'n'Roll Circus show, joined in on Corina Corina. Waiting On A Friend did a mysterious win on the web choice, after two days of close race of the two other songs "Star Star" and "She's A Rainbow". But they had brough in saxophone player Joshua Redman, so "Waiting On A Friend" was a perfect fit for the guest player...

The band seemed to be in good shape, having been almost 3 months on the road now. The set list said this was show number 33. During "Out Of Control" Mick first threw his harmonica away on the stage when finishing the solo, then he threw his jacket into the camera. He was really "Out Of Control"... And I really like that son, it works very good live too.

Wild Horses was just perfect, and Anybody Seen My Baby is also working very well now.

There was a lot of cameras all over, including 5 cameras on the front of the stage, two for the monitor and three for the TV. Then they had a panning camera running all the way across the field, by row number 17. It probably made nice stage panning effects. Also on stage, and in the crowd, they had 5 - 6 mobile cameras, plus 3 panning cameras on the sides and by the center stage. All in all, a show made for TV...

On "You Can't Always Get What You Want" Mick was wearimg a yellow shirt, and walked into the crowd by the catwalk. A great first encore.

All too soon the show was over, and they had a double dose of confetty this time, simply covering all of the place with confetti.

Now it's Xmas time and a break for 3 1/2 weeks, before the show continues in Qubec...

Start time: 9:00
End time: 11:35

The set list:

Satisfaction
Let's Spend The Night Together
Flip The Switch

Gimme Shelter
Wild Horses (with Dave Matthews on vocals)
Anybody Seen My Baby
Saint Of Me
Corina Corina (with Taj Mahal)
Out Of Control
Waiting On A Friend (web choice) (with Joshua Redman on saxophone>
Miss You
-- Introductions --
All About You (Keith)
I Wanna Hold You (Keith)
It's Only Rock'n Roll (center stage)
The Last Time (center stage)
Like a Rolling Stone (center stage)
Sympathy For The Devil
Tumbling Dice
Honky Tonk Women
Start Me Up
Jumping Jack Flash
You Can't Always Get What You Want (encore)
Brown Sugar (encore)

[www.iorr.org]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-09-04 07:08 by Max'sKansasCity.

Posted by: Send It To me ()
Date: September 4, 2012 06:56

Ranking the last 30 years...

1. Steel Wheels
2. Undercover
3. A Bigger Bang
4. Bridged to Babylon
5. Voodoo Lounge
6. Dirty Work

Posted by: ab ()
Date: September 4, 2012 06:56

Their best since Tattoo You. About eight of the 13 songs on it withstand regular listens. But to compare it to the Big Four is silly. Some tracks are ruined by Jagger's mannered vocals (e.g., Already Over Me and Always Suffering).

And the choices to make Anybody Seen My Baby the first single and the second track on the album were flatout disasterous. By about the third play, I'd skip straight from Flip the Switch to Lowdown. I'll go so far as to argue that ASMB is the worst first single off of any Stones album, worse than Harlem Shuffle (Dirty Work) or Angie (Goats Head Soup).

Posted by: slew ()
Date: September 4, 2012 07:11

ab - I agree on the single what were they thinking? But what is wrong with Angie? I love that track.

Date: September 4, 2012 07:13

deadegad
Two Thumbs up for BTB!!

Then two thumbs up it is!thumbs upthumbs up

Posted by: ab ()
Date: September 4, 2012 07:19

slew
ab - I agree on the single what were they thinking? But what is wrong with Angie? I love that track.

Where to begin? It was their first nonrocking first single off an album. The absense of any electric guitars, the sappy strings, and that awful vocal (later exaggerated in Already Over Me). I didn't like it when I first heard it 39 years ago this month, and time has done nothing to make me fond of it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-09-04 08:03 by ab.

Date: September 4, 2012 07:51

I like the album too. It's almost the most "mature" album the Stones ever did. And that's not a totally bad thing. I'd like another album like it.

Comparing it to the Big Four is pushing it, though.

Date: September 4, 2012 07:56

MidnightRambler1990
I like the album too. It's almost the most "mature" album the Stones ever did. And that's not a totally bad thing. I'd like another album like it.

Comparing it to the Big Four is pushing it, though.

It will be the new Exile in ten to fifteen years. Next to the next album, of course.

Date: September 4, 2012 07:57

An album so good it doesn't deserve to be placed in the late era. best song writing in ages.
Would "How Can I Stop" be so loved if it did not have the sax and cymbal tag?

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: September 4, 2012 07:59

Songs like 'Flip The Switch', 'Anybody seen my baby' and 'Always Suffering' is among the best released in the 90ies....Bridges is also the best tour I've been watching...thumbs up

2 1 2 0

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: September 4, 2012 08:10

Hmm, ok I'll be called grumpy (again) smoking smiley. I really wanted to love this album. It has some daring stuff. They took some chances. They went somewhat beyond the "formula". I like "Saint Of Me". But really, it is like two albums, a Mick and a Keith album, competing for attention on the same disc rather than a band that is making a coherent musical statement. Don Was was more diplomat-in-chief than producer. But not bad. They tried.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-09-04 08:16 by 71Tele.

Date: September 4, 2012 08:14

71Tele
Max'sKansasCity
I liked it.... But (based on a lot of posts I read here) mnay of these people stopped listening, and/or turned off their minds, to new music in 1973-74... so expect another incoming barrage from the grumpys.... Me, on the other hand, I thought this was a fine album and fun tour... but I am pretty easy to please...

I bought every single Stones album the day it came out (up to and including ABcool smiley, each time hoping against hope that it would be a great one (or even a good one). The Stones kept up a very high level of quality for a very long time (way past 1974, by the way, though I know you always accuse me of not liking anything after that for some reason, even though I certainly never said so). After Tattoo You, the writing was simply not of the same caliber. If people enjoy these records, great, I respect that. But you should stop accusing people who fail to see the brilliance in these later records as being "grumpy", having "stopped listening" and having "closed minds". It really is childish. The wide consensus (including by the Stones themselves, given their reluctance to play many post Tattoo You songs in their shows) is that the mid-80s and beyond were not on par with what went before. It's a natural thing to have happen in the pop music world. Dylan and McCartney's quality isn't the same either, though both have come up with some excellent work. You can say the same about The Who or countless other artists whose peak was a long time ago. Is "Time Out Of Mind" as good as "Blonde On Blonde"? Is "It's Hard" as good as "Who's Next"? Is "Flowers In The Dirt" as good as "Abbey Road". Is "Bridges To Babylon" as good as "Sticky Fingers". A lot of time has gone by, and the consensus is no, but that doesn't mean one can't enjoy these records.

The problem some people on this site have with you Max, is that you choose to hurl labels like "grumpy" and "close-minded" at people who say things you disagree with rather than simply engaging them on the merits of your view. And you also do it in a kind of passive-agressive manner, as in the post quoted above. It's insulting as well as tiresome, and it makes it more difficult to have meaningful debates. Give it some thought.

Tele, I respect your opinions. Hell, I respect all opinions. But tell me, are you just a little bit excited about tomorrow's big announcement and what lies ahead? Just a little?

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: September 4, 2012 08:17

MightyStonesStillRollin50
71Tele
Max'sKansasCity

I bought every single Stones album the day it came out (up to and including ABcool smiley, each time hoping against hope that it would be a great one (or even a good one). The Stones kept up a very high level of quality for a very long time (way past 1974, by the way, though I know you always accuse me of not liking anything after that for some reason, even though I certainly never said so). After Tattoo You, the writing was simply not of the same caliber. If people enjoy these records, great, I respect that. But you should stop accusing people who fail to see the brilliance in these later records as being "grumpy", having "stopped listening" and having "closed minds". It really is childish. The wide consensus (including by the Stones themselves, given their reluctance to play many post Tattoo You songs in their shows) is that the mid-80s and beyond were not on par with what went before. It's a natural thing to have happen in the pop music world. Dylan and McCartney's quality isn't the same either, though both have come up with some excellent work. You can say the same about The Who or countless other artists whose peak was a long time ago. Is "Time Out Of Mind" as good as "Blonde On Blonde"? Is "It's Hard" as good as "Who's Next"? Is "Flowers In The Dirt" as good as "Abbey Road". Is "Bridges To Babylon" as good as "Sticky Fingers". A lot of time has gone by, and the consensus is no, but that doesn't mean one can't enjoy these records.

The problem some people on this site have with you Max, is that you choose to hurl labels like "grumpy" and "close-minded" at people who say things you disagree with rather than simply engaging them on the merits of your view. And you also do it in a kind of passive-agressive manner, as in the post quoted above. It's insulting as well as tiresome, and it makes it more difficult to have meaningful debates. Give it some thought.

Tele, I respect your opinions. Hell, I respect all opinions. But tell me, are you just a little bit excited about tomorrow's big announcement and what lies ahead? Just a little?

Of course! Or I wouldn't be here.

I removed my comments that you quoted. Just not in the mood for another pissing match even though I feel strongly about this. If you would be so kind to edit your post to remove my initial quote I would be grateful.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-09-04 08:23 by 71Tele.

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1394
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home