Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 3 of 5
Re: OT: Sir Paul McCartney supports Pussy Riot
Posted by: GumbootCloggeroo ()
Date: August 21, 2012 17:48

superrevvy, Pussy Riot were protesting Putin and the church's support for him. Whatever happened to separation of church and state? They weren't protesting religion as a whole, Your examples of singing about jews and "big black dick" rapping about racist catholics isn't exactly correct in correlation to what is happening in Russia. This is political.

Posted by: steffiestones ()
Date: August 21, 2012 20:26

Its a shame the Stones dont show any support to those girls...

Date: August 21, 2012 20:49

steffiestones
Why is it a shame? They're allowed to remain private on whatever issue they want. For all we know, they do support them. But just because a Beatle issues a press release does not mean that the Stones are expected to follow suit.

Posted by: GravityBoy ()
Date: August 21, 2012 21:15

It's a shame because an awful lot of people supported them when they were jailed in the 60s.

I think Mick and Keith have an obligation here.

Date: August 21, 2012 21:18

Were the Stones jailed because they were criticizing Putin?
Did Pussy Riot support The Stones and now they must return the favour?

My friend Mike was in jail briefly. Is he obligated now to publicly support Pussy Riot?

Date: August 21, 2012 21:23

If you don't want to see the parallels then there's nothing anyone can do.

It wouldn't hurt Mick and Keith to say something.

"Who Breaks a Butterfly on a Wheel".

This headline in The Times and other public support was the reason they only spent a night in jail instead of 12 months.

They used to be rebels. They used to be at the vanguard of progression. They used to be the spokesmen for a generation.

They have a duty.

Date: August 21, 2012 21:30

GravityBoy

This headline in The Times and other public support was the reason they only spent a night in jail instead of 12 months.

They used to be rebels. They used to be at the vanguard of progression. They used to be the spokesmen for a generation.

They have a duty.
Maybey Keith could propose Putin to let Pussy Riot to play a Concert for the blind smiling smiley

Posted by: proudmary ()
Date: August 21, 2012 21:40

GumbootCloggeroo
superrevvy, Pussy Riot were protesting Putin and the church's support for him. Whatever happened to separation of church and state? They weren't protesting religion as a whole, Your examples of singing about jews and "big black dick" rapping about racist catholics isn't exactly correct in correlation to what is happening in Russia. This is political.

GumbootCloggeroo is absolutely right - it's political. They did or sad nothing against the faith or religion or Russian people. This is why the guards just took them out of the church. Police let them go and did not arrest them. Only two weeks after the event when anti-Putin video appeared on YouTube they were arrested

Date: August 21, 2012 21:50

GravityBoy

They have a duty.
And I guess Bob Dylan has a duty to write a song about it, right? After all, he IS a protest singer, right?

Date: August 21, 2012 22:14

And besides, we all know the Stones only give political support for a cause while they're in the middle of a tour. If they were to issue a press release right now it would be rather rusty. They're not ready.

Date: August 21, 2012 22:56

GumbootCloggeroo
And I guess Bob Dylan has a duty to write a song about it, right? After all, he IS a protest singer, right?

Dylan wasn't released from prison because some people stuck up for him.

Date: August 21, 2012 23:38

So let's say zero famous people have come out in support of Pussy Riot, would it be The Stones' duty to lead the charge? There are political prisoners all over the world. Is it a shame that The Stones aren't supporting them all? Or, is it a shame because Paul McCartney and other famous people have come out in support of Pussy Riot so therefore The Stones MUST do the same but haven't?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-08-21 23:39 by GumbootCloggeroo.

Date: August 21, 2012 23:46

No.. but there are parallels between what happened to the Stones and what is happening in Russia that the media and freedom supporters could use.

Else why should anyone bother?

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: August 22, 2012 00:43

The end justifies the means. I wasn't familiar with Pussy Riot before this happened. And I'm still not. But that's not really important. The political situation in Russia, however, is. And Pussy Riot has been instrumental in illuminating that. And they are willing to pay the price for it, which is a very courageous thing to do. Particularly in view of the standard of Russian prisons. I don't think it will be like taking in to a hotel for two years, which, I'm told, is the situation here (in Sweden).

Posted by: MILKYWAY ()
Date: August 22, 2012 01:37

U

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-08-22 01:41 by MILKYWAY.

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: August 22, 2012 01:45

steffiestones

Maybe they just don't care.

It's not their torch to carry. There is plenty of hip-hop big mouths and younger rock bands out there to step up if they want to. U2 comes to mind.

Date: August 22, 2012 02:09

Bono The Holy Father is the Man for the Job !!!!!
Wave your Flags on Kremlin square !!!

Posted by: proudmary ()
Date: August 22, 2012 10:46

The Wrong Reasons to Back Pussy Riot
[www.nytimes.com]

Posted by: marcovandereijk ()
Date: August 22, 2012 11:29

proudmary
[www.nytimes.com]

I think this piece of opinion is missing the quintessence of the matter. The support
to be given is NOT a matter of being a fan of Pussy Riot per se. It is not about their
music, it is not about the tastefullness of their actions, it is not about true crimes
they might have done anywhere outside of the case at hand.

It is about the worries we must have whenever a country falls into a situation where
religion has power over politicians and politicians have power over the judges, which
gives religon power over the judges. It took a 1.000 years to overcome the Middle Ages
in Europe. Maybe it takes another 1.000 years to fight against this situation on other countries,
but we must never stop fighting against the powers that only control the people by means
of terror, creating fear amongst the people to keep their powers. True, it happens in
a lot of countries, not only Russia. But that should not be a reason to stop the resistance.

Just as long as the guitar plays, let it steal your heart away

Date: August 22, 2012 17:04

marcovandereijk
proudmary
[www.nytimes.com]

I think this piece of opinion is missing the quintessence of the matter. The support
to be given is NOT a matter of being a fan of Pussy Riot per se. It is not about their
music, it is not about the tastefullness of their actions, it is not about true crimes
Right !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
It is about the worries we must have whenever a country falls into a situation where
religion has power over politicians and politicians have power over the judges, which
gives religon power over the judges. It took a 1.000 years to overcome the Middle Ages
in Europe. Maybe it takes another 1.000 years to fight against this situation on other countries,
but we must never stop fighting against the powers that only control the people by means
of terror, creating fear amongst the people to keep their powers. True, it happens in
a lot of countries, not only Russia. But that should not be a reason to stop the resistance.

Date: August 22, 2012 17:35

Nobody wants to mess with Russia. Let's face it. Historically speaking, Russia is a monster of a country. Try to invade it and you'll get your ass beat. Putin can do pretty much whatever he wants in his own country and the rest of the world will just have to take it. Putin wants to lock up everyone with red hair? Sure, why not! Putin wants to cut off food supplies to his people? Sure, why not! I feel like it's Nazi Germany all over again. @#$%& was able to do whatever the hell he wanted in his country and the rest of the world sat back and did nothing. @#$%& even invaded smaller countries around Germany and the world sat back and did nothing. Pussy Riot knew what they were doing when they chose that name. Sex sells. The spotlight on this story would have been smaller if they had chosen a tame name, I'm sure. Hopefully this story will continue and the world will wake up before it all goes down the toilet again, in one way or another.

Posted by: rebelrebel ()
Date: August 22, 2012 18:20

marcovandereijk
proudmary
[www.nytimes.com]

Exactly. Thank you!

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: August 22, 2012 18:30

I guess Macca had his own "pussy riot" with Heather Mills - what a "pussy" she was smileys with beer

Posted by: kater-v ()
Date: August 22, 2012 18:56

This story with Pussy Riot makes me feel shame to be Russian citizen. Their stroke was really important here not for somebody`s illusions about Putin and company, because there are not many of them, but for many people blinded with Russian orthodox church`s romantic flair, that comes from the times of Soviet Union. Then it was some unit of people of free mind and good will, it was risky to openly belong to it. Time changed, the church became just one more corrupted institution, not passing the exam of liberty – exactly of freedom to chose who to take money from. And now all the believers were forced to see openly and decide for themselves, what they really think about the facts they prefered not to see, and who they want to support and why.
I think western artists support of Pussy Riot means much for the girls first of all, and also for their supporters here, the artists voices just sound loudly, and it means that the world is not deceived with propaganda and the mask of post-soviet “democracy”.

Date: August 22, 2012 19:11

what's a pussy riot

Date: August 22, 2012 19:19

pinkfloydthebarber, here you go: http://lmgtfy.com/?q=what%27s+a+pussy+riot%3F

Date: August 22, 2012 19:37

Think on Mick and Keith.

A lot of people supported you during this.

Date: August 22, 2012 19:47

And they made this jailbird above a knight! A lesson to learn: Even if you start up your adult life in confinement you may one day be a Sir!

Date: August 22, 2012 20:31

GumbootCloggeroo
pinkfloydthebarber, here you go: http://lmgtfy.com/?q=what%27s+a+pussy+riot%3F

thanks

seems like propaganda to me. the whole church performance thing looks pretty contrived and calculated..like a PR stunt..typical stuff of the times

maybe i'm wrong but the recipe seems to be...come up with a name and song you know will offend the easily offended... (old people, squares, and whatnot) ...offend their traditional values...make sure at least one of your band members is super hot so she can become the face of the franchise to the world but never admit to this, of course, as it goes against your phony ideals.....make sure friends with i phones and i pads are here, there and everywhere to film your PR stunt and launch it all over the web o sphere....and make sure there are LOTS of old people around to witness said PR stunt as they are the most easy to offend, especially about church and traditional type stuff..

all the time ignore violent crackdowns on striking miners in S. Africa and other horrible injustices going on all around the world and just stick to what works..even though church-bashing has been going on since an apple fell on newton's head, it still will be considered new and revolutionary to 16 year olds today

wait for article's on how your cause and 'performance art' is 'misunderstood' in the same way how it was the 'media's' fault for Amy Winehouse's demise..

anyway i think these chicks are dumb, they gave a win-win to Putin, who is seen to be squashing dissent while at the same time appeasing a significant voter bloc;

whole thing seems like a show trial anyway to intimidate others from demonstrating against Putin or the 'regime' ..

russian 'democracy' is fake anyway, of course this trial had putin's fingerprints all over it

i don't see this causing a wave of political dissent; the Sex Pistols already proved that you get more attention for offending the public than you do for 'political dissent'... and as far as the sentence goes, yes, putin is a knob and i think a good spanking is really more deserved as a punishment rather than jail time for this prank

but hey, since when did the russian penal code become the shining example of global justice, anyway?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-08-22 20:32 by pinkfloydthebarber.

Date: August 22, 2012 22:01

Gorbatjov opened up Russia's window a bit. He was the first Soviet leader who earned some respect in the west and also was very well liked among people here. Then they got rid of him and elected (well, sort of...) a vodka clown to lead them. And now this complexed KGB dwarf who can't even walk straight. He is practically a despot now. You can't get rid of him (like they did with Gorbatjov). There we are.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 3 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2154
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home