Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12345Next
Current Page: 1 of 5
OT: Sir Paul McCartney supports Pussy Riot
Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: August 17, 2012 01:37

"Sir Paul McCartney has become the latest celebrity to support jailed Russian activists Pussy Riot, a day before their verdict on hooliganism charges over a “punk prayer” in Moscow’s main cathedral", according to The Telegraph. Here is a link to the article: [www.telegraph.co.uk]

Other acts who have supported Pussy Riot are Madonna, Red Hot Chili Peppers and Patti Smith. Maybe Sir Michael Jagger is next? If he dares? What do you think?

Re: OT: Sir Paul McCartney supports Pussy Riot
Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: August 17, 2012 01:43

Maybe Sir Michael Jagger is next? If he dares? What do you think?

He never did.....so he probably wouldn't do it this time

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: August 17, 2012 01:45

I think Paul McCartney is a good man.

Posted by: Glam Descendant ()
Date: August 17, 2012 02:16

>Maybe Sir Michael Jagger is next? If he dares? What do you think?

Bianca beat him to it so probably not.

Posted by: TippyToe ()
Date: August 17, 2012 04:46

I don't see how this story could be of any interest to anyone except morons whose higer brain function shuts down when they encounter words like "pussy". The best people to decide how justice should be administered in Russia are the Russian authorities, not Red Hot Chili Peppers, Madonna or "Sir" Paul. If Paul McCartney, London resident, wants to be seen as edgy and political, he doesn't need to start pointing his finger at another country as part of some stupid publicity stunt. He should get his dumb ass down to the Ecuadorian embassy and show his support to Julian Assange. That's not likely to happen because he values the paltry honours bestowed on him by British authorities far more than he values helping any human being who is truly in need.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: August 17, 2012 06:08

The best people to decide justice should be administered in Russia are the Russian authorities?
It is always good to question authority. And if Russia's track history since the days of the Czars is any indication, most probably the Russian authorities are the least qualified to met out anything close to resembling "justice".

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2012-08-17 06:15 by whitem8.

Posted by: Long John Stoner ()
Date: August 17, 2012 06:40

TippyToe
I don't see how this story could be of any interest to anyone except morons whose higer brain function shuts down when they encounter words like "pussy". The best people to decide how justice should be administered in Russia are the Russian authorities, not Red Hot Chili Peppers, Madonna or "Sir" Paul. If Paul McCartney, London resident, wants to be seen as edgy and political, he doesn't need to start pointing his finger at another country as part of some stupid publicity stunt. He should get his dumb ass down to the Ecuadorian embassy and show his support to Julian Assange. That's not likely to happen because he values the paltry honours bestowed on him by British authorities far more than he values helping any human being who is truly in need.

Assange? Really?

Posted by: Glam Descendant ()
Date: August 17, 2012 08:09

>The best people to decide how justice should be administered in Russia are the Russian authorities

Wow. Have you ever even heard the name Solzhenitsyn?

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: August 17, 2012 08:47

Posted by: leteyer ()
Date: August 17, 2012 09:39

Long John Stoner
TippyToe

Assange? Really?

Maybe not to defend Assange but what about International Law? They didn't extradite Pinochet but they're willing to invade an Embassy for Asange? Talking about double standards.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: August 17, 2012 10:18

TippyToe

You really don't seem to know what's going on in Russia, now do you? Maybe the funny name of teh band might gather some interest, but the whole thing is much more serious than that. The event is a symbol of the scary development happening now in under the Putin administration, which surely will not help any aims of democracy and freedom of speech. Surely everything will be in hands of Russian authorities but some international moral support is never a bad thing. And it is not just some pop stars doing "publicity stunts", there is alot of political pressure as well.

To quote the artist: "honey, it's no rock and roll show".

I'd really like to hear proudmary's take on this.

- Doxa

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2012-08-17 10:23 by Doxa.

Date: August 17, 2012 10:33

Stoneage
" Maybe Sir Michael Jagger is next? If he dares? What do you think?

Actaully I think that the whole thing might inspire Sir Michael to write a song. The name of the band itself fits exactly to his vocabulary... And Sir loves to sings about girls, all kinds of them...

- Doxa

Posted by: stonesnow ()
Date: August 17, 2012 12:05

Long John Stoner
TippyToe

Assange? Really?

Assange had a bit of a "pussy riot" himself--and that's why he's in the trouble he's in, not because of "Wiki-leaks".

Posted by: marcovandereijk ()
Date: August 17, 2012 13:43

I know politics are not allowed on BV's board, so I will keep most thoughts to myself.
But what the girls in Russia showed to the world is how the Poetin administration is growing
into a regime of dictatorship. If autorities are no longer capable of dealing with critique
and oppress opposition by means of punishment, a dictatorship is close at hand.
It is a good thing they attracted attention to this development, and so it is also good
that other artists use the opportunity to attract more attention towards it. As can be
seen throughout (recent) history, the best way to end a dictatorship, is to mobilize
the people. It's good when the people know they are supported in their fight against
dictators by the rest of the world.

Just as long as the guitar plays, let it steal your heart away

Posted by: proudmary ()
Date: August 17, 2012 13:52

On 21 February members of the band walked into the Cathedral of Christ the Saviour, a gaudy building built after the Soviet collapse that hosts Russia's senior officials on major holidays. They thought they were highlighting the church's increasingly close relationship with the state and what they saw as campaigning for Putin by Patriarch Kirill, its leader.

Virgin Mary, Mother of God, put Putin away!
?ut Putin away! Put Putin away!
Black robe, golden epaulettes
All parishioners crawl to bow
The phantom of liberty is in heaven
Gay-pride sent to Siberia in chains!
Patriarch Gundyaev believes in Putin
Bitch, better believe in God instead
The belt of the Virgin can’t replace mass-meetings
Mary, Mother of God, is with us in protest!

Video of the punk prayer went viral and it’s not surprising less than two weeks after the ‘flash’ performance 3 members of Pussy Riot - Nadezhda Tolokonnikova, Maria Alyokhina and Yekaterina Samutsevich - were arrested and charged with “hooliganism”. They have been in detention since then awaiting trial. The criminal code defines hooliganism as “inciting hatred” with the “use of weapons” to create “public disorder.” Prosecutors have asked the judge to jail the women for three years.

On the eve of a court verdict - in two hours today - Nadezhda Tolokonnikova wrote a letter to supporters which she could to pass to one of her lawyers. She said that the trial was a sign that freedom was disappearing in Vladimir Putin's Russia.

"I hold no spite, I have no private spite. But I have political spite.
Our being in jail is a clear and distinct sign that freedom is being taken away from the whole country.And this threat of destruction of the liberating, emancipatory forces of Russia is what makes me angry."

There are some more info

Pussy Riot: will Vladimir Putin regret taking on Russia's cool women punks?
[www.guardian.co.uk]

Pussy riot trial: 'We are representatives of our generation'
As three members of the Russian punk band await a verdict, we examine how they managed to find themselves in the dock
[www.guardian.co.uk]

Putin's Russia Is Becoming a Flawless Dictatorship
[www.spiegel.de]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-08-17 13:52 by proudmary.

Date: August 17, 2012 13:57

stonesnow
Long John Stoner
TippyToe

Assange? Really?

Assange had a bit of a "pussy riot" himself--and that's why he's in the trouble he's in, not because of "Wiki-leaks".

You really believe there would have been any "pussy riot" for Assange if it weren't for WikiLeaks? Seriously?

Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: August 17, 2012 14:00

TippyToe

complete rubbish.

Posted by: marcovandereijk ()
Date: August 17, 2012 14:03

stonesnow

Actually, the Assange problem is just the chance that Sweden will deliver him to the US,
before or after the trial about the accusations of sexual assault. I think this problem
could be solved if diplomats in the UK and Sweden made an appointment NOT to deliver
him to the States. In my opinion it would be justice if the Swedish trial would take
place, and it's not good if Assange walks away from this. But what the US authorities
have in store for him for the Wiki-leaks affair, can no way be seen as "justice".

Just as long as the guitar plays, let it steal your heart away

Date: August 17, 2012 14:11

Thanks, proudmary. And excellent words, marcovandereijk.

One ought expect that if Keith Richards really still likes to pretend that is 1967 still, and the authorities are trying put him behind the bars, he might feel some sympathy for these Russian girls. Or is it just a rock and roll show?

Even though BV does not allow politics to be discussed here, as marco rightly pointed out, I think this topic deserves its place. I think it deserves place in any site where art is discussed. As an act of certain solidarity. Sometimes art is politically significant, and we can't close our eyes. Damn, rock and roll might still be dangerous... Funny, we needed three young Russian girls to teach us that.

- Doxa

Date: August 17, 2012 14:50

Doxa

To quote the artist: "honey, it's no rock and roll show".

I'd really like to hear proudmary's take on this.

- Doxa

Sometimes it happens that an artist manages to get where it hurt, in the very heart of the problem - and the authorities/ the majority that don't think does not always respond adequately. Pussy Riot remind me the story of the Stones trial in 67 - both bands were targeted because the authorities tried to protect society - especially the youth - from their influence. Even prosecution tricks are similar - the Stones were accused of using drugs, not of negative impact on young people with their call for freedom in all its forms, the girls accused of insult of the believers, not of anti-Putin stunt
Both the Stones and Pussy Riot were/are not isolated phenomena, they reflect the social atmosphere, what is happening in the depths of society
Of course the difference in the state of society in England in the 60s and in Russia in 2012 - three days in prison in the Stones case or six months in prison before the trial and three years of prison, if convicted.
Tolokonnikova handcuffed so resembles Jagger in handcuffs ... I would be glad if the Stones supported the girls as did Madonna and McCartney

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: August 17, 2012 14:53

So, they are just found guilty of 'religion fed hatred hooliganism', whatever that is.

Mathijs

Date: August 17, 2012 15:01

Mathijs
So, they are just found guilty of 'religion fed hatred hooliganism', whatever that is.

Mathijs

it's worse than the Middle Ages. Then people at least believed in what they were doing, Putin pigs only believe in money

Supporters put on Balaclavas on Moscow monuments in support of Pussy Riot
[www.lenta.ru]

Date: August 17, 2012 15:14

REUTERS LIVE STREAM
[reuters.livestation.com]

Pussy Riot found guilty - live blog
[www.guardian.co.uk]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-08-17 15:21 by proudmary.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: August 17, 2012 15:22

Yeah Sir Paul! Now express your concern about the state of human rights in Saudi Arabia!!! (remember they crucified a 22 y.o. murderer not so long ago...)
[digitaljournal.com] eye rolling smiley

What Paulie? You ain't gonna say a word about it cos while Russia is a dreadful prison-state, S.A. is a free democratic state and a friend of the western world?

Okay! You Sir are a dick! smoking smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-08-17 15:24 by dcba.

Posted by: VT22 ()
Date: August 17, 2012 15:34

WTF^%R^% Gary Kasparov arrested outside the court????

Date: August 17, 2012 15:53

VT22

they are beating him inside a police van: world chess champion - the pride of the country

Date: August 17, 2012 15:54

proudmary
VT22

they are beating him inside a police van: world chess champion - the pride of the country

This is sad...

Posted by: VT22 ()
Date: August 17, 2012 15:57

Deleted

Posted by: rebelrebel ()
Date: August 17, 2012 15:57

proudmary
Mathijs

Mathijs

it's worse than the Middle Ages. Then people at least believed in what they were doing, Putin pigs only believe in money

Supporters put on Balaclavas on Moscow monuments in support of Pussy Riot
[www.lenta.ru]

Thank you, Proudmary.

I expect you know about this example as well.

If you don't mind, can I ask if you're from Russia?

Thanks.

Posted by: GravityBoy ()
Date: August 17, 2012 16:14

Russia didn't change - new boss same as the old boss.

People should also get upset about what happened in South Africa today as well.

This (the history of the human race) is and always has been the small people against the elite.

Goto Page: 12345Next
Current Page: 1 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1687
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home