Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4
Re: Citadel -Love this track
Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: August 8, 2012 23:59

Mathijs

Well, at that time I had so many guitars and amps I wanted to clean out the gear I mainly had from a collectors point of view, and only wanted to keep the stuff I really used in the bands I was in. Now most is gone, but there is some gear I regret I sold. The Conqueror is one fo them, as a '63 Humingbird and a 60's Tele that was really, really good. Oh well.

Mathijs

Ah, gotcha. smiling smiley

Awhile back I had to leave my job and then sell a load of great stuff... Triumph, Vox Supreme, Vox UL715, Les Paul Custom, various pedals. thumbs down

I really miss my Vox Supreme!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-08-09 00:00 by His Majesty.

Posted by: mstmst ()
Date: August 9, 2012 04:08

flilflam
I think it is terrible. That era, with the ridiculous garb and attempts to copy the sounds of the Beatles' Sergeant Pepper, is the lost era of the Stones, as far as I am concerned. I can only snicker when I force myself to listen to it. I counted 3 chords in the entire song.

Oh well, to each his own.

Seriously, Dude, if having more than three chords in a song is important to you, you may be on the wrong site ...

Posted by: tomk ()
Date: August 9, 2012 04:25

So y'all think the bell-like effect is a guitar? I always thought it was a celesta, recorded pretty hot.

Date: August 9, 2012 05:37

tomk
So y'all think the bell-like effect is a guitar? I always thought it was a celesta, recorded pretty hot.

Gly Johns: "Er, Keith? Are you still doing that ping?
Keith Richard: "Yeah!"

So it seems it is coming from the guitar, if so, how it is being achieved is the question that remains un answered... for now.

It must be another instrument! grinning smiley

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2012-08-09 05:47 by His Majesty.

Date: August 9, 2012 05:44

mstmst
flilflam
I think it is terrible. That era, with the ridiculous garb and attempts to copy the sounds of the Beatles' Sergeant Pepper, is the lost era of the Stones, as far as I am concerned. I can only snicker when I force myself to listen to it. I counted 3 chords in the entire song.

Seriously, Dude, if having more than three chords in a song is important to you, you may be on the wrong site ...

It has more than three chords. thumbs up

Date: August 9, 2012 06:03

His Majesty
tomk

Gly Johns: "Er, Keith? Are you still doing that ping?
Keith Richard: "Yeah!"

So it seems it is coming from the guitar, if so, how it is being achieved is the question that remains un answered... for now.

It must be another instrument! grinning smiley

Another instrument? A celesta?
If it's a guitar, the only thing I can think of is a harmonic. On one of those Hendrix Octavia boxes maybe? The word "ping" suggests it's a guitar, I suppose, unless that idea was shelved for something else. I haven't heard the boots you're talking about (not all of them).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-08-09 06:06 by tomk.

Date: August 9, 2012 06:18

tomk

Another instrument? A celesta?
If it's a guitar, the only thing I can think of is a harmonic. On one of those Hendrix Octavia boxes maybe? The word "ping" suggests it's a guitar, I suppose, unless that idea was shelved for something else. I haven't heard the boots you're talking about (not all of them).

Nah, it's another instrument. Listening through the series of takes of them recording it, the ping plays at odd times compared to the guitar, sometimes hear it on it's own too. Sounds like a gloskenspiel or some such.

Glyn must just have been asking if Keith wanted to keep the ping idea in.

It pays to listen more before commenting. grinning smiley

Date: August 9, 2012 06:23

His Majesty
tomk

Just trying to make conversation. If that's your attitude, well...best to ya.

Date: August 9, 2012 06:25

tomk

Huh? That was directed at myself. winking smiley

As in, I ought to have listened more before babbling about the ping being from the guitar.

smileys with beer

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-08-09 06:26 by His Majesty.

Date: August 9, 2012 06:26

His Majesty
tomk
His Majesty
tomk

Huh? That was directed at myself. winking smiley

As in, I ought to have listened more before babbling about the ping being from the guitar.

smileys with beer

Oh, okay. Cheers, mate.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: August 9, 2012 08:47

I love it too. It's trippy and rocking at the same time...I always thought of it as sort of a prototype for the kind of stuff King Crimson would do later on.

Posted by: cc ()
Date: August 9, 2012 09:01

ah, so it is some kind of bell/celesta/glock ... well, I got lucky -- haven't listened to the track in several years!

Posted by: wupperstein ()
Date: August 9, 2012 11:36

I am waiting for a live performance of "Citadel", "2000 Man" and "In Another Land".

Date: August 9, 2012 11:43

wupperstein
I am waiting for a live performance of "Citadel", "2000 Man" and "In Another Land".

Darryl on vocals? winking smiley

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: August 9, 2012 17:03

Been listening to all 146 outtakes of Citadel, and there’s some hints…

From Request and Requires:

Take 5 is the first one with mellotron and the ping sound. Take 5e has Richards adjusting the volume of the guitar, and an adjustment to the ping sound seems to be made. Take 6 has the ping and hard struck E chord so on time, the sound does seem to be induced by the guitar signal. On the intro of take 16 it seems like the ping sound is responding to the drums, not to the guitar. Just before take 22 Johns ask Keith something I can’t understand, the response is ‘yeah’ and he opens the volume of the guitar, which seems to induce the ping sound.

From Satanic Box:
In take 20 (actually 19), at 1.05 Keith makes a timing mistake on the guitar. The ping makes the exact same mistake. At 1.33 (take 20) the same double mistake happens and the ping is gone for some time. At 2.39 Glyn Johns ask ‘Keith, are you still doing that ping?’. Keith: ‘yeah’, then strikes guitar lightly and the ping sound is there again.

So, Keith does the ping for sure. Another indication is the timing of the ping: it coincides so exact with the timing of Richards, including mistakes, that it seems impossible for another musician to induce the ping sound. Then, the ping mostly coincides with Richards’ downstrokes on the 2 and 4, but whenever a more difficult part is played by Richards, the ping starts to miss the beat several times. At the start of take 25, Charlie says to Keith ‘you gotta start the kick now’ and keith answers ‘yeah’ with a ping.

Concerning the sound of the ping: it sounds like a dampened glockenspiel, but does a Glockenspiel have such high E? And, the sound of the ping is exactly the same on all takes –same length, same attack, same presence. Only the volume changes. This might rule out a manually struck instrument. Then, on Keith’s guitar there’s tremolo and slap delay. The ping has the same slap delay. Most likely the tremolo is from the Conqueror, the slap delay from the studio board. The slap delay from guitar and ping is exactly the same in timing (about 25 ms). So either the ping is picked up through the same microphone as the guitar, or both the guitar and ping sound are routed through the same delay machine.

My conclusion so far is that the ping sound is induced by the guitar signal. It is not played ‘manually’ by anyone, there’s evidence that the ping comes from Keith. I have no idea what the effect is that is being used –there where sound generators already, there where tape machines like the mellotron. How it works is unclear to me, but it might be controlled by the volume of the guitar, added with some basic settings like on a tape delay at the time: in fourths or eights, or in milliseconds.

But I am quite positive that it is not any real instrument like a glockenspiel played by anyone other than Richards.

Mathijs

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: August 9, 2012 17:06

flilflam

I think there's no doubt they were building on what the Beatles did, but nonetheless, there are still some great songs from it - the album & especially the b-sides...

Date: August 9, 2012 17:19

Mathijs

Take 5 is the first one with mellotron and the ping sound. Take 5e has Richards adjusting the volume of the guitar, and an adjustment to the ping sound seems to be made. Take 6 has the ping and hard struck E chord so on time, the sound does seem to be induced by the guitar signal. On the intro of take 16 it seems like the ping sound is responding to the drums, not to the guitar. Just before take 22 Johns ask Keith something I can’t understand, the response is ‘yeah’ and he opens the volume of the guitar, which seems to induce the ping sound.

From Satanic Box:
In take 20 (actually 19), at 1.05 Keith makes a timing mistake on the guitar. The ping makes the exact same mistake. At 1.33 (take 20) the same double mistake happens and the ping is gone for some time. At 2.39 Glyn Johns ask ‘Keith, are you still doing that ping?’. Keith: ‘yeah’, then strikes guitar lightly and the ping sound is there again.

So, Keith does the ping for sure. Another indication is the timing of the ping: it coincides so exact with the timing of Richards, including mistakes, that it seems impossible for another musician to induce the ping sound. Then, the ping mostly coincides with Richards’ downstrokes on the 2 and 4, but whenever a more difficult part is played by Richards, the ping starts to miss the beat several times. At the start of take 25, Charlie says to Keith ‘you gotta start the kick now’ and keith answers ‘yeah’ with a ping.

Concerning the sound of the ping: it sounds like a dampened glockenspiel, but does a Glockenspiel have such high E? And, the sound of the ping is exactly the same on all takes –same length, same attack, same presence. Only the volume changes. This might rule out a manually struck instrument. Then, on Keith’s guitar there’s tremolo and slap delay. The ping has the same slap delay. Most likely the tremolo is from the Conqueror, the slap delay from the studio board. The slap delay from guitar and ping is exactly the same in timing (about 25 ms). So either the ping is picked up through the same microphone as the guitar, or both the guitar and ping sound are routed through the same delay machine.

My conclusion so far is that the ping sound is induced by the guitar signal. It is not played ‘manually’ by anyone, there’s evidence that the ping comes from Keith. I have no idea what the effect is that is being used –there where sound generators already, there where tape machines like the mellotron. How it works is unclear to me, but it might be controlled by the volume of the guitar, added with some basic settings like on a tape delay at the time: in fourths or eights, or in milliseconds.

But I am quite positive that it is not any real instrument like a glockenspiel played by anyone other than Richards.

Mathijs

Very interesting - thanks, Mathijs.

Now, I'm gonna get this Satanic-boot. Dunno why I never downloaded it...

Date: August 9, 2012 20:20

So much focusing on the ping. grinning smiley

Posted by: TheDailyBuzzherd ()
Date: August 9, 2012 20:22

mmmMMmmMmm ... 'is OK, but I prefer "The Lantern".

Go ahead. Blow out my light. Dare ya.

Date: August 9, 2012 20:26

His Majesty
So much focusing on the ping. grinning smiley

But I'm still annoyed that I don't know what the ping is!

Mathijs

Posted by: TheDailyBuzzherd ()
Date: August 9, 2012 20:35

It's the sound of Brian dropping acid again.

Posted by: 2000 LYFH ()
Date: August 10, 2012 16:16

DandelionPowderman
Mathijs

From Satanic Box:

Mathijs

Same here Mathijs, thanks for the investigation. I also need to get my hands on these boots. I guess I'm in the minority, but TSMR has always been one of my favorite albums by the Stones. Coming off the road after 3 long years of touring and being able to relax and explore new sounds, IMHO just fascinating.

Date: August 10, 2012 20:42

2000 LYFH
DandelionPowderman
Mathijs

From Satanic Box:

Mathijs

Same here Mathijs, thanks for the investigation. I also need to get my hands on these boots. I guess I'm in the minority, but TSMR has always been one of my favorite albums by the Stones. Coming off the road after 3 long years of touring and being able to relax and explore new sounds, IMHO just fascinating.

Perhaps he was plunking the string above or below the fret. I was starting to think some kind of xylophone.

Date: February 15, 2014 14:38

Mathijs

From Satanic Box:

Mathijs

Aha! The conclusion appears to be quite right -a signal induced by the Richards and the guitar, and not a real instrument but a gizzmo. I do not know exactly where this info comes from, it apperently is missing from Stones gear:

For the ‘Citadel’ sessions, Keith used primarily his Gibson Les Paul Custom Black Beauty, his blue Fender Telecaster, and occasionally his Gibson ‘Non-Reverse’ Firebird VII. The ‘pinging’ or ‘ringing’ sound heard on the tremolo guitar track was made by a metallic, tubular hand-held device. The device could best be described as looking like a thinner version of a Danelectro lipstick pickup, approximately 2 & 3/4 to 3 inches in width with a thin metal loop attached, a standard male guitar cord intact on one end, the cord roughly 5 feet in length (which plugged into the guitar), while the other end was female where a standard guitar cord would plug into it to an amp. The loop went over the middle or ring finger and held the metal tube firmly along the upper palm of the strumming hand, synonymous to the principle of the novelty ‘handshake buzzer’ (See Diagram) The high-pitched ‘ping’ or ‘ring’ sound was produced when the device was brought close to the pickup and touched across the strings after a chord was struck ringing loudest when flush across all strings which was sometimes difficult to achieve when using a pick as your hand had to open almost flat to a degree.

Mathijs

Date: February 15, 2014 15:52

Ace!!! eye popping smileythumbs up

Where did you get the info from? Is that a quote and someone elses diagram or yours?

If that was how the sound was achieved I reckon it might be a Vox thing as according to an early 1967 Beat Instrumental Keith and Brian visited their factory and were given some special effects.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-02-15 22:26 by His Majesty.

Posted by: FrankM ()
Date: February 15, 2014 22:12

The whole SMR album is vastly underrated imo.

"Lyin' awake in a cold, cold sweat. Am I overdrawn, am I going in debt?
It gets worse, the older that you get. No escape from the state of confusion I'm in.

Date: February 15, 2014 23:26

His Majesty
Ace!!! eye popping smileythumbs up

Where did you get the info from? Is that a quote and someone elses diagram or yours?

If that was how the sound was achieved I reckon it might be a Vox thing as according to an early 1967 Beat Instrumental Keith and Brian visited their factory and were given some special effects.

Not my info nor my diagram. What I still can't get my head around is where this ping sound is coming from, or what the purpose of this thingy is. I mean, it really is a weird gizzmo, all these leads and connections just to get a ping sound, that's weird isn't it? Or is it really the 60's?

Mathijs

Posted by: tomcasagranda ()
Date: February 16, 2014 00:34

Great track, was grooving to it last night.

Date: February 16, 2014 01:07

Mathijs
Not my info nor my diagram. What I still can't get my head around is where this ping sound is coming from, or what the purpose of this thingy is. I mean, it really is a weird gizzmo, all these leads and connections just to get a ping sound, that's weird isn't it? Or is it really the 60's?

Mathijs

Where did yah get the info and diagram?

Odd, but indeed very 60's.

Posted by: rob51 ()
Date: February 16, 2014 06:56

You said it buffalo7478 One listen back then and you knew this was no bunch of chuckleheads. The Stones in those days represented the dark side. They had that brooding Jimmy Reed like sound down pat from the beginning and always did sound much more menacing than the Beatles ever could have. You had to choose Beatles or Stones back when I was a kid and I remember lots of heated arquments with those that dared to believe the Beatles were the better band. The Stones were real while that other bunch were mere pop stars and to me anyway you might as well have been comparing the Archies to the Who.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1574
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home