Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: Dylan/Grateful Dead -insight into singer/songwriter
Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: August 8, 2012 09:55

Looks beautiful, and they learned from the Europe 72 box by having a nice frame showing the number. I got the 72 set and it is stunning. This box set looks great and not bad, 200$ for 18 discs. Not one of my favorite line ups of the band (not a big fan of Brent) but this looks really nice and will be a collectable.

Posted by: No Expectations ()
Date: August 9, 2012 06:05

24FPS
No Expectations
24FPS
jamesfdouglas
24FPS
Why are there so many Grateful Dead threads on this Rolling Stones blog? People get crap when they post Beatles threads, and that was a good band. I had someone call me a bitter troll for not celebrating Jerry Garcia's 70th birthday. This hurt me, coming from a gentle hippie reeking of patchouli oil and doing something they call dancing.

Wrong.

You weren't called a bitter troll for 'not celebrating Jerry's birthday'.
You were called a bitter troll for slamming the Dead and saying that your life would have been better had you never heard his music - IN his birthday thread.
And that it made you 'hate hippies' or whatever the hell it was.

You cast the first stone, which makes you a troll.

If I'm wrong, and you're kind of just having fun (I'm JUST as guilty for that), I apologize.

I never attacked Jerry, just the music. And my life would have been better. And I'm not kind of just having fun. I hate the Dead's music. The Stones are the top of the ladder and the Dead the bottom. They have nothing substantial in common. Dead from drugs doesn't qualify. Why people feel they have to talk about that god awful group on this blog is a sore point with me. And their fans are phoney peace and lovers who are hiding an anger. Like Mormons I've known who have to justify what they've bought. Long live The Rolling Stones.

And their fans are phoney peace and lovers who are hiding an anger.

How the hell do you know that?? When you are as biased on a subject as you obviously are....your opinion holds no weight. IMHO!

Such anger from a...................................spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Absolutely no anger just a complete rejection of your statement! And I would suggest you have NO factual basis to back up your flippant statement!

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: August 9, 2012 07:06

How the hell do you know that?? When you are as biased on a subject as you obviously are....your opinion holds no weight. IMHO![/quote]

Such anger from a...................................spinning smiley sticking its tongue out[/quote]

Absolutely no anger just a complete rejection of your statement! And I would suggest you have NO factual basis to back up your flippant statement![/quote]

Okay. You're either yanking my chain, which is fine. I've been known to do that. Or, you don't see that you yourself are proving my anger theory. And why would my statments be flippant, and yours are not? My opinions concerning the Grateful Dead are all based on empirical knowledge of listening to Grateful Dead music, both studio and live. What is yours based on? My 'bias' is based on experience. If you have listened to the same material and come to a different conclusion than I have, I do not denigrate your brain's conclusion. I only speak for what the Grateful Dead do to my brain and my brain only.

Do not assume that IF I HEARD THE RIGHT SONG, or WENT TO THE RIGHT CONCERT, that my opinion would change. My conclusions are based on a wide sampling, from American Beauty, through cover songs, Bob Weir solo work, live samplings, and performances on DVD from Saturday Night Live and Playboy After Dark. The effect of their efforts noodling through my brain produce pain. Rolling Stones music has an opposite effect on my brain. My brain. It's okay to not like the Grateful Dead. It really is. Just think, I won't be in the crowd, bothering you for free tickets. Oh wait, they disbanded in 1995. We're arguing over a defunct band. Furthur doesn't count. That's like seeing the Stones without Mick.

Date: August 9, 2012 07:26

[www.youtube.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-08-09 07:27 by 24FPS.

Posted by: 2000 LYFH ()
Date: August 9, 2012 18:43

24FPS

How the hell do you know that?? When you are as biased on a subject as you obviously are....your opinion holds no weight. IMHO!

Such anger from a...................................spinning smiley sticking its tongue out[/quote]

Absolutely no anger just a complete rejection of your statement! And I would suggest you have NO factual basis to back up your flippant statement![/quote]

Okay. You're either yanking my chain, which is fine. I've been known to do that. Or, you don't see that you yourself are proving my anger theory. And why would my statments be flippant, and yours are not? My opinions concerning the Grateful Dead are all based on empirical knowledge of listening to Grateful Dead music, both studio and live. What is yours based on? My 'bias' is based on experience. If you have listened to the same material and come to a different conclusion than I have, I do not denigrate your brain's conclusion. I only speak for what the Grateful Dead do to my brain and my brain only.

Do not assume that IF I HEARD THE RIGHT SONG, or WENT TO THE RIGHT CONCERT, that my opinion would change. My conclusions are based on a wide sampling, from American Beauty, through cover songs, Bob Weir solo work, live samplings, and performances on DVD from Saturday Night Live and Playboy After Dark. The effect of their efforts noodling through my brain produce pain. Rolling Stones music has an opposite effect on my brain. My brain. It's okay to not like the Grateful Dead. It really is. Just think, I won't be in the crowd, bothering you for free tickets. Oh wait, they disbanded in 1995. We're arguing over a defunct band. Furthur doesn't count. That's like seeing the Stones without Mick.[/quote]

When did this pain start?

Date: August 9, 2012 21:04

Furthur doesn't count. That's like seeing the Stones without Mick.[/quote]

Now we have found some common ground. I would definitely agree with you on that.

Not liking the music is just fine. Many people don't. Perhaps even more than do. However some of your statements went way beyond not liking the music and into attacks on the fans and the overall culture surrounding the Dead. I would suggest on this subject you do not have empirical knowledge and it is those remarks I was referring to.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: August 9, 2012 21:27

No Expectations
Not liking the music is just fine. Many people don't. Perhaps even more than do. However some of your statements went way beyond not liking the music and into attacks on the fans and the overall culture surrounding the Dead. I would suggest on this subject you do not have empirical knowledge and it is those remarks I was referring to.

it's my belief that ppl who feel the need to go overboard like this are really just exhibiting their own insecurities about their own musical tastes.

Posted by: reg thorpe ()
Date: August 9, 2012 21:54

it's my belief that ppl who feel the need to go overboard like this are really just exhibiting their own insecurities about their own musical tastes.[/quote]

True 'dat

Date: August 10, 2012 00:21

StonesTod
No Expectations

it's my belief that ppl who feel the need to go overboard like this are really just exhibiting their own insecurities about their own musical tastes.

:-))))) How are things in Austin?

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2012-08-10 00:41 by No Expectations.

Date: August 10, 2012 02:04

No Expectations
StonesTod
No Expectations

oh, you mean god's country? heaven....

Date: August 10, 2012 02:46

StonesTod
No Expectations

Wow. You nailed me there. Yes, I'm insecure about my own musical tastes. Way to put me in my place.

I'm a Rolling Stones fan and have made that abundantly clear. (along with 1,2, hundreds of other musicians and groups from the dawn of recorded music forward, right up until today). It seems to me if you were really secure about your group you would just ignore someone like me and be happily cognizant that it doesn't effect your enjoyment at all. But perhaps you doth protest too much....

True dat.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: August 10, 2012 03:05

Well it just seems very strange to invest to much time and emotion to continue a rant about how much you hate something. As a psychologist often it is clear when a client is full of hate that it is a manifestation of depression, and other issues. And to continually harang and spew venom about something you hate is a sad commentary about the person. It would be far more productive mentally and emotionally to move on and listen to something you do like and let the others on the thread enjoy what they like.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-08-10 04:09 by whitem8.

Date: August 10, 2012 03:36

whitem8
Well it just seems very strange to invest to much time and emotion to continue a rant about how much you hate something. As a psychologist, hate is a manifestation of depression, and other issues. And to continually harang and spew venom about something you hate is a sad commentary about the person. It would be far more productive mentally and emotionally to move on and listen to something you do like and let the others on the thread enjoy what they like.

Well said!

Date: August 10, 2012 03:39

StonesTod
No Expectations
StonesTod
No Expectations

oh, you mean god's country? heaven....

Wait I said Austin... not the Bay Area! :-))

Date: August 10, 2012 04:24

whitem8
Well it just seems very strange to invest to much time and emotion to continue a rant about how much you hate something. As a psychologist often it is clear when a client is full of hate that it is a manifestation of depression, and other issues. And to continually harang and spew venom about something you hate is a sad commentary about the person. It would be far more productive mentally and emotionally to move on and listen to something you do like and let the others on the thread enjoy what they like.

True dat. I just like responding to people who attack me. Yeah, yeah, I know only a fool argues with one but it is August, absolutely nothing is happening, and it's a lot of fun.

Posted by: deadegad ()
Date: August 10, 2012 04:25

No Expectations
whitem8
Well it just seems very strange to invest to much time and emotion to continue a rant about how much you hate something. As a psychologist, hate is a manifestation of depression, and other issues. And to continually harang and spew venom about something you hate is a sad commentary about the person. It would be far more productive mentally and emotionally to move on and listen to something you do like and let the others on the thread enjoy what they like.

Well said!

I am not a psychologist but wondered about the mindset of someone who continually enters two OT threads with subject matter they knowingly dislike just to be a pain?

One or twice could be excused as just clowning around but these multiple posts over two OT threads? And then behaving as if to be "Shocked, Shocked, Shocked" by some fans taking umbrage because they are in general peaceful?

24 probably lives at home in the parents basement room.

Posted by: 2000 LYFH ()
Date: August 10, 2012 05:07

deadegad
No Expectations
whitem8

Well said!

I am not a psychologist but wondered about the mindset of someone who continually enters two OT threads with subject matter they knowingly dislike just to be a pain?

One or twice could be excused as just clowning around but these multiple posts over two OT threads? And then behaving as if to be "Shocked, Shocked, Shocked" by some fans taking umbrage because they are in general peaceful?

with his needle and a spoon

Posted by: deadegad ()
Date: August 10, 2012 05:36

2000 LYFH
deadegad
No Expectations
whitem8

Well said!

with his needle and a spoon

Touche!

"Meds" are definitely required.

Date: August 10, 2012 06:24

deadegad

See, you can't live without me. You keep picking at the scab. I mean maybe Jerry would have become a halfway decent pedal steel player if he hadn't admitted defeat in 1973.

Date: August 10, 2012 14:20

24FPS
StonesTod
No Expectations

Wow. You nailed me there. Yes, I'm insecure about my own musical tastes. Way to put me in my place.

I'm a Rolling Stones fan and have made that abundantly clear. (along with 1,2, hundreds of other musicians and groups from the dawn of recorded music forward, right up until today). It seems to me if you were really secure about your group you would just ignore someone like me and be happily cognizant that it doesn't effect your enjoyment at all. But perhaps you doth protest too much....

True dat.

i think you proved my point very nicely. well done.

Date: August 10, 2012 19:47

StonesTod
24FPS
StonesTod
No Expectations

True dat.

i think you proved my point very nicely. well done.

You're welcome. Whatever it is you think you proved. I guess being delusional comes with the territory.

Date: August 10, 2012 20:44

i give the boy his props for a job well done and this is thanks i get. what would jerry think???

Posted by: reg thorpe ()
Date: August 10, 2012 20:47

Please don't dominate the rap Jack, if you've got nothing new to say

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-08-10 20:49 by reg thorpe.

Date: August 10, 2012 21:49

StonesTod
i give the boy his props for a job well done and this is thanks i get. what would jerry think???

Sorry, if I didn't get it. Jerry would probably check his blood sugar and then sit down on the floor, open one of his rare, expensive Golden Age comic books, enjoy a story about the Flash, aka The Scarlet Speedster, then reach in his goodies box and chase the dragon from some fine China White off a well burnt wedge of aluminum foil. Such was the life of a decadent, flabby rock star.

Date: August 10, 2012 22:28

24FPS
StonesTod

Sorry, if I didn't get it. Jerry would probably check his blood sugar and then sit down on the floor, open one of his rare, expensive Golden Age comic books, enjoy a story about the Flash, aka The Scarlet Speedster, then reach in his goodies box and chase the dragon from some fine China White off a well burnt wedge of aluminum foil. Such was the life of a decadent, flabby rock star.

ah but he could play like an angel sent from the gods....

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: August 10, 2012 23:31

StonesTod
24FPS
StonesTod

I like when Jerry beat the guy from high school in that foot race, and pushed Elaine out of the way for the hot chick when he won.

Date: August 10, 2012 23:38

treaclefingers
StonesTod
24FPS
StonesTod

I like when Jerry beat the guy from high school in that foot race, and pushed Elaine out of the way for the hot chick when he won.

DUNCAN!

Date: August 11, 2012 01:44

StonesTod
treaclefingers
StonesTod
24FPS
StonesTod

DUNCAN!

and the hot chick was LOIS!

Date: August 11, 2012 03:46

Oh, I R O N Y. I got an e-mail today from Amazon offering me discounts on Grateful Dead downloads. I e-mailed them back with an offer for them to pay me to download them. I haven't heard back.

Date: August 11, 2012 07:37

24FPS
Oh, I R O N Y. I got an e-mail today from Amazon offering me discounts on Grateful Dead downloads. I e-mailed them back with an offer for them to pay me to download them. I haven't heard back.

That's an example of their software making assumptions that a human wouldn't.
Did you buy any Doors or Jefferson Airplane recently?

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1434
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home