Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 2 of 29
Re: OT - 2012 London Summer Olympics
Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: July 27, 2012 14:59

Can't wait for it to end, personally. Roll on the start of the football season!

Posted by: HighwireC ()
Date: July 27, 2012 16:23

London Olympics 2012: Carl Lewis on Mitt Romney: 'some Americans shouldn't leave the country'

Carl Lewis, the winner of nine Olympic gold medals, has hit out at Mitt Romney's gaffe-filled day in London, saying "seriously, some Americans just shouldn't leave the country".

Mr Romney's London trip has been filled with a series of missteps, starting with an NBC interview in which he questioned Britain's readiness to host the Olympics.

His comments drew a sharp rebuke from David Cameron. His performance was seriously criticised by the media and politicians alike.

Lewis, who is generally regarded as one of the greatest Olympians of all time - winning gold medals from 1984 to 1996, told The Independent newspaper as Michelle Obama arrived in London to lead the US delegation: "Every Olympics is ready, I don't care whatever he [Romney] said. I swear, sometimes I think some Americans shouldn't leave the country. Are you kidding me, stay home if you don't know what to say."

Mr Romney attempted to put a brave face on his diplomatic issues on Thursday night, declaring himself to be “a guy from Great Britain” who is “married to a girl from Wales”.

The former Massachusetts governor and his wife, Ann, were interviewed together after a day from which he was meant to emerge looking like an international statesman descended into farce.

He told CNN's Piers Morgan on Thursday evening that the Olympics would be “terrific”, blessed with “great weather” and full of “enthusiasm on the part of the people here in London”.

The previous evening he told NBC that he had seen “disconcerting” signs that made it “hard to know just how well it will turn out” at the London games, prompting a sharp rejoinder from David Cameron.

Promising London would deliver, the Prime Minister said it had been challenging to host an Olympics in one of the world's busiest cities rather than the “middle of nowhere”, where it would be easier.

This was widely taken in the US to be a reference to Utah, the sparsely populated western state where Mr Romney was chief executive of the Salt Lake City Winter Olympics in 2002.

Boris Johnson, the Mayor of London, heaped more misery on Mr Romney's campaign by dismissing his remarks while onstage at a concert in Hyde Park to mark the end of the Olympic torch relay.

“There's guy called Mitt Romney who wants to know if we are ready,” Mr Johnson cried, prompting jeers from some of the 60,000-strong crowd. “Are we ready? Yes we are!”

By then a sheepish Mr Romney had deserted his earlier remarks with a statement delivered outside 10 Downing Street. He predicted that any minor problems would be “overshadowed by the extraordinary demonstrations of courage, character and determination by the athletes”.

Mr Romney was asked in his interview on Thursday evening whether he had been aware of his roots in northern England, where his great-great-grandfather, a carpenter from Preston, was one of the first Mormons in Britain some 175 years ago.

“I knew that my ancestors came from here,” he said. “I know Miles Romney and Miles Park Romney – these are the folks that came and helped settle the West.”

Asked whether he felt “partly English” as a result, a chuckling Mr Romney replied: “Well, I’m married to a girl from Wales, and I’m a guy from Great Britain. So I feel like this is home too, I guess.”

His wife is descended from Welsh coal-miners. Her grandfather, David Davies, travelled to Michigan from Wales in 1929.

Mrs Romney told Morgan that the ITV drama Downton Abbey was one of their favourite television programmes, and that the couple were currently working their way through the second series.

The Republican challenger also raised eyebrows on Thursday by referring to Ed Miliband with the American-style honorific “Mr Leader” and appearing to breach protocol by disclosing that he had met Sir John Sawers, the Secret Intelligence Service chief.

[www.telegraph.co.uk]

Is it because of persons like Mitt Romney why so much discussion turns into "US-American against the rest of the word" threads ... ?

confused smiley

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: July 27, 2012 16:58

HighwireC
Is it because of persons like Mitt Romney why so much discussion turns into "US-American against the rest of the word" threads ... ?

Nope, it's the people who draw the attention to it.

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: July 27, 2012 17:11

Rolling Hansie
HighwireC

Ding Ding Ding! We have a winner. You read my mind Rolling Hansie. smileys with beer

Peace
Mr DJA

Posted by: HighwireC ()
Date: July 27, 2012 17:15

mr_dja
Rolling Hansie
HighwireC

Ding Ding Ding! We have a winner. You read my mind Rolling Hansie. smileys with beer

Peace
Mr DJA

So we don't have to pay attention to men like Bush or Romney ... ?
I hope, you are right ... eye rolling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-07-27 17:21 by HighwireC.

Date: July 27, 2012 18:24

HighwireC
So we don't have to pay attention to men like Bush or Romney ... ?

Quatsch. Of course we have to. But not on IORR Tell Me, and certainly not on a thread about the Olympics.

-------------------

Posted by: headly123 ()
Date: July 27, 2012 18:32

Good Luck to our friends across the pond as you say. I know you will put on a great show and I for one am looking forward to seeing for more of your country during the coverage.

Date: July 27, 2012 18:32

-------------------

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: July 28, 2012 01:21

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: July 28, 2012 02:52

Well done, Brits!

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: July 28, 2012 02:56

I thought it was fecking brilliant. Great job by Danny Boyle and everyone responsible.

Date: July 28, 2012 02:56

I was wondering if Keith would have lit the Olympic Flame. I can picture him sauntering into the stadium, jaunting up to the flame and bringing the lit torch down so that he could light up a cigarette.

Posted by: Beast ()
Date: July 28, 2012 02:57

Gazza
I thought it was fecking brilliant. Great job by Danny Boyle and everyone responsible.

thumbs upthumbs upthumbs up

Exceeded all expectations. Superb. Danny Boyle is my new hero spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

The "Queen" parachuting from the helicopter was something else!!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2012-07-28 03:02 by Beast.

Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: July 28, 2012 03:35

Full props to the Queen for playing along. Now let the games begin!

Posted by: JimmyTheSaint ()
Date: July 28, 2012 05:11

Were the Stones included in the music medley? The sportscast I watched mentioned Beatles, Who, Sex Pistols, Queen...

Date: July 28, 2012 05:50

JimmyTheSaint
Were the Stones included in the music medley? The sportscast I watched mentioned Beatles, Who, Sex Pistols, Queen...

Yes.

PART ONE
Captain Algernon Drummond, William Johnson Cory - Eton Boating Song
Elgar, AC Benson - Land of Hope and Glory
The Jam - Going Underground
Muse - Map of the Problematique
Big Ben Chimes
Sex Pistols - God Save the Queen
The Clash - London Calling
Simon May - EastEnders Theme
The Shipping Forecast
Sir Hubert Parry, William Blake - Jerusalem
Elgar - Nimrod
Handel - Arrival of the Queen of Sheba
Eric Coates - Dambusters March
Handel - Music for the Royal Fireworks
Monty Norman - James Bond Theme
Mike Oldfield - Tubular Bells
Mike Oldfield - In Dulci Jubilo
Vangelis - Chariots of Fire
BBC News 1954
Arthur Wood - The Archers Theme
Winifred Atwell - Black and White Rag

PART TWO
Sugababes - Push the Button
OMD - Enola Gay
David Rose - The Stripper
Lionel Bart - Food Glorious Food
Irwin Kostal, Richard Sherman, Robert Sherman - Bedknobs and Broomsticks
Rizzle Kicks - When I Was a Youngster
Eric Clapton - Wonderful Tonight
Colin Tully - Gregorys Girl Theme
William Pitt - City Lights
The Who - My Generation
The Rolling Stones - Satisfaction
Millie Small - My Boy Lollipop
The Kinks - All Day and All of the Night
The Beatles - She Loves You
Mud - Tiger Feet
Led Zeppelin - Trampled Under Foot
The Specials - A Message to You Rudy
David Bowie - Starman
Queen - Bohemian Rhapsody
Sex Pistols - Pretty Vacant
Duran Duran - The Reflex
New Order - Blue Monday

PART THREE
Frankie Goes to Hollywood - Relax
Soul II Soul - Back To Life
Happy Mondays - Step On
Eurythmics - Sweet Dreams (Are Made of This)
The Verve - Bittersweet Symphony
Prodigy - Firestarter
Underworld - Born Slippy
Jaan Kenbrovin, John William Kellette - Im Forever Blowing Bubbles
Blur - Song 2
Dizzee Rascal - Bonkers
Tigerstyle - Nacnha Onda Nei (contains Michael Jackson - Billie Jean, Queen & David Bowie - Under Pressure and Ilaiyaraaja - Naanthaan Ungappanda)
Arctic Monkeys - I Bet You Look Good on the Dancefloor
Mark Ronson & Amy Winehouse - Valerie
Radiohead - Creep
Muse - Uprising
Kano & Mikey J - Random Antics
Tinie Tempah - Pass Out
MIA - Paper Planes
Coldplay - Viva La Vida
The Chemical Brothers - Galvanize

PART FOUR
Franz Ferdinand - Take Me Out
Kaiser Chiefs - I Predict a Riot
Roll Deep - Shake a Leg
Adele - Rolling in the Deep
Oasis - The Hindu Times
Oasis - Wonderwall
Emeli Sande - Heaven
William Monk/Henry Francis - Abide With Me
Pink Floyd - Eclipse
The Beatles - The End
The Beatles - Hey Jude
David Bowie - Heroes
Eric Spear - Coronation Street Theme
Ron Grainer - Doctor Who Theme
John Philip Sousa - Monty Python Theme/The Liberty Bell
David Bowie - Absolute Beginners

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: July 28, 2012 05:55

Taking a break from the parade of nations to note the incredible job that Danny Boyle has done with the opening ceremony. Kudos to all the Brits, but NBC anchors Bob Costas, Matt Lauer, and Meredith Viera could not have been more annoying. I hope they shut up for the flame lighting and the rest.

Posted by: steverogan ()
Date: July 28, 2012 20:04

Gazza
JimmyTheSaint

Yes.

PART ONE
Captain Algernon Drummond, William Johnson Cory - Eton Boating Song
Elgar, AC Benson - Land of Hope and Glory
The Jam - Going Underground
Muse - Map of the Problematique
Big Ben Chimes
Sex Pistols - God Save the Queen
The Clash - London Calling
Simon May - EastEnders Theme
The Shipping Forecast
Sir Hubert Parry, William Blake - Jerusalem
Elgar - Nimrod
Handel - Arrival of the Queen of Sheba
Eric Coates - Dambusters March
Handel - Music for the Royal Fireworks
Monty Norman - James Bond Theme
Mike Oldfield - Tubular Bells
Mike Oldfield - In Dulci Jubilo
Vangelis - Chariots of Fire
BBC News 1954
Arthur Wood - The Archers Theme
Winifred Atwell - Black and White Rag

PART TWO
Sugababes - Push the Button
OMD - Enola Gay
David Rose - The Stripper
Lionel Bart - Food Glorious Food
Irwin Kostal, Richard Sherman, Robert Sherman - Bedknobs and Broomsticks
Rizzle Kicks - When I Was a Youngster
Eric Clapton - Wonderful Tonight
Colin Tully - Gregorys Girl Theme
William Pitt - City Lights
The Who - My Generation
The Rolling Stones - Satisfaction
Millie Small - My Boy Lollipop
The Kinks - All Day and All of the Night
The Beatles - She Loves You
Mud - Tiger Feet
Led Zeppelin - Trampled Under Foot
The Specials - A Message to You Rudy
David Bowie - Starman
Queen - Bohemian Rhapsody
Sex Pistols - Pretty Vacant
Duran Duran - The Reflex
New Order - Blue Monday

PART THREE
Frankie Goes to Hollywood - Relax
Soul II Soul - Back To Life
Happy Mondays - Step On
Eurythmics - Sweet Dreams (Are Made of This)
The Verve - Bittersweet Symphony
Prodigy - Firestarter
Underworld - Born Slippy
Jaan Kenbrovin, John William Kellette - Im Forever Blowing Bubbles
Blur - Song 2
Dizzee Rascal - Bonkers
Tigerstyle - Nacnha Onda Nei (contains Michael Jackson - Billie Jean, Queen & David Bowie - Under Pressure and Ilaiyaraaja - Naanthaan Ungappanda)
Arctic Monkeys - I Bet You Look Good on the Dancefloor
Mark Ronson & Amy Winehouse - Valerie
Radiohead - Creep
Muse - Uprising
Kano & Mikey J - Random Antics
Tinie Tempah - Pass Out
MIA - Paper Planes
Coldplay - Viva La Vida
The Chemical Brothers - Galvanize

PART FOUR
Franz Ferdinand - Take Me Out
Kaiser Chiefs - I Predict a Riot
Roll Deep - Shake a Leg
Adele - Rolling in the Deep
Oasis - The Hindu Times
Oasis - Wonderwall
Emeli Sande - Heaven
William Monk/Henry Francis - Abide With Me
Pink Floyd - Eclipse
The Beatles - The End
The Beatles - Hey Jude
David Bowie - Heroes
Eric Spear - Coronation Street Theme
Ron Grainer - Doctor Who Theme
John Philip Sousa - Monty Python Theme/The Liberty Bell
David Bowie - Absolute Beginners

I found the "inclusion" of the Stones to be an embarassment to them. All major British bands were included but "World's Greatest R&R Band" had only one song in part 2. I know they and many fans will not care, but in the greater context to the rest of music lovers, the Stones very limited inclusion is puzzling. The "not stage ready" line is a bunch of BS. Sorry, with todays technology and proper planning they could have done something- even if Keith cannot play he coulda "faked it" and the band coulda played something.. not enough that they represent their country in the Olympics- the $$ wasn't there. As a fan of the stones for over 40 years their choice to not participate disgusts me. "Not Stage Ready" what total shite!
I saw two of Brit Rock royalty have songs played at the ending part of the ceremony- Pink Floyd and Paul McCartney."Sir Paul" saw it fit to playt for his queen- "Sir Mick" was, well, somewhere else that was more important.

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: July 28, 2012 20:17

No Elton John?

Date: July 28, 2012 20:24

Good point- I didn't notice- especiaslly od inasmuch as he played at Princess Di's funeral- I know it was only a "song about a dead blonde" as KR noted but he WAS there.. Odd.

Date: July 28, 2012 20:32

Here in Sweden the Olympics is aired pretty much around the clock and the "big" moments are always live. It's on our public service station SVT (the biggest channel in Sweden). I guess the situation is about the same in most European countries. From what I heard though that isn't the situation in the USA. They, supposedly, only show snippets from the games and seldom live. Even though American broadcasters pay huge money for broadcast rights. Am I totally wrong here? Please set me straight then!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-07-28 21:15 by Stoneage.

Date: July 28, 2012 20:56

Yep..I was surprised to hear from American friends that the ceremony wasnt carried live and only excerpts were shown later (which from the comments Ive read here proves that in doing so it missed the context of much of it). I get the impression the coverage tends to be almost all geared towards covering US competitors, which I suppose I can understand to a degree if there are limited TV slots available, but in doing so it does miss the point of the entire competition.

In each Olympics, the BBC pretty much routinely provides blanket coverage for the whole duration - more so this year in the era of HD and digital TV as theyve actually launched almost 30 'temporary' BBC Olympic stations so they can extensively cover every sport. No doubt with the games actually being in the UK this time, this has made them up the coverage even more than usual, but theyve generally tended to be pretty comprehensive in previous games as well.

Date: July 28, 2012 21:04

steverogan

I found the "inclusion" of the Stones to be an embarassment to them. All major British bands were included but "World's Greatest R&R Band" had only one song in part 2. I know they and many fans will not care, but in the greater context to the rest of music lovers, the Stones very limited inclusion is puzzling. The "not stage ready" line is a bunch of BS. Sorry, with todays technology and proper planning they could have done something- even if Keith cannot play he coulda "faked it" and the band coulda played something.. not enough that they represent their country in the Olympics- the $$ wasn't there. As a fan of the stones for over 40 years their choice to not participate disgusts me. "Not Stage Ready" what total shite!
I saw two of Brit Rock royalty have songs played at the ending part of the ceremony- Pink Floyd and Paul McCartney."Sir Paul" saw it fit to playt for his queen- "Sir Mick" was, well, somewhere else that was more important.

I enjoyed the event very much, but if they weren't fit to play, then I'm glad they didnt embarrass themselves. Its very hard to just go out 'cold' and play at an event like that - as could be seen when McCartney went to sing the start of 'Hey Jude'. 'Faking it' would have been even more unforgivable, embarrassing and damaging. Are we really so desperate that we'd have wanted them to go out there and mime over a backing track?

They know better than us whether it was a risk or not. Anyway, I'm a bit ambivalent at best about my favourite musical acts being a sideshow at what is a sports event. Music at the Olympics isn't THAT important.

Not that bothered they werent included more. Britain's contribution to music and culture over the centuries isn't limited to 'rock' and certainly isn't dominated by one act or group.

Date: July 28, 2012 21:52

Gazza
steverogan

I enjoyed the event very much, but if they weren't fit to play, then I'm glad they didnt embarrass themselves. Its very hard to just go out 'cold' and play at an event like that - as could be seen when McCartney went to sing the start of 'Hey Jude'. 'Faking it' would have been even more unforgivable, embarrassing and damaging. Are we really so desperate that we'd have wanted them to go out there and mime over a backing track?

They know better than us whether it was a risk or not. Anyway, I'm a bit ambivalent at best about my favourite musical acts being a sideshow at what is a sports event. Music at the Olympics isn't THAT important.

Not that bothered they werent included more. Britain's contribution to music and culture over the centuries isn't limited to 'rock' and certainly isn't dominated by one act or group.

I appreciate your thoughful response but find it a bit misguided. The Stones have shown in the past they have no problem charging upwards of $350 per ticket to the people who support them and then only to embarass themselves on stage- either showing up very late for shows or another case in point: much of the ABB tour- especially after the coconut tree. I went to AC to see them only to have the show cancelld at the very last minute. When they finally did play ( to many empty seats), there was no ackowledgement to the crowd for the cancellation from Jagger.They obviously didn't give a shite that many fans were inconvenienced, spent money to travel and stay in AC only to be let down at the 11th hour.Total lack of respect to the fans imo. I saw Seger back in the early 80s. His show was cancelled due to illness a couple of days prior to the event. When he finally did play he acknowledged it to the crowd and, actually used that show as part of a live double album called "Nine Tonight".
By all accounts they had been rehearsing for some time; I am sure they could have played one number and not faked it but perhaps limited the contributions of members who may be rusty... I agree music at the Olympics is not all that important and England's contributions to the arts go well beyond RR music, however, I think, the Olympics, in the native country of the Stones, merited an attempt for "the boys" to play live. Macca's performance wasn't perfect, but he was there and played . They would not have had to fake it. They could have played one song with keith contributing minimally. Just my opinion. Why do I think if they were offered 10 million pounds they would have been "stage ready"? I think the moniker : "The World's Greatest RR Band" as a marketing tool is a graet idea. Is it true? Perhaps at one time but certainly not in the last 30 years- they did nothing to distinguish themselves... from allowing the Hells Angels to be security at Altamont to causing a near riot in the old Boston Garden by appearing several hours late, the Stones have crapped on their fans fro years.. but yet, if any tour IS announced people will go.

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: July 28, 2012 22:14

Richard from Canada
I was wondering if Keith would have lit the Olympic Flame. I can picture him sauntering into the stadium, jaunting up to the flame and bringing the lit torch down so that he could light up a cigarette.

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Date: July 28, 2012 22:20

LOL Deltics, that picture is Absolutely Fabulous

-------------------

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: July 28, 2012 22:26

Who cares about some smoke and mirrors opening ceremony? Just be sure and wake me up when all the little girls start prancing around, okay?

Date: July 28, 2012 22:41

Get over it, Steve Rogan. It's the Olympics not a Rolling Stones concert. Watching Maccas contribution almost made me glad they didn´t attend.
But don't give up yet. Who knows, maybe they will play a full set of songs for the closing ceremony?

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: July 28, 2012 22:47

Danny Boyle is THE MAN.
Really appreciate the way British history was presented.

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: July 28, 2012 22:51

Boxing, wrestling, judo, taekwondo. Who needs some old rock and roll band when there's terrific chick fight action like this?

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 2 of 29

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 951
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home