Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4
The 10 worst moments of the Rolling Stones.
Posted by: ChefGuevara ()
Date: July 21, 2012 00:50

I can think of many others not included here.

[www.washingtontimes.com]

Re: The 10 worst moments of the Rolling Stones.
Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: July 21, 2012 00:54

how about this moment right now....oh, good, it's over....

Posted by: windmelody ()
Date: July 21, 2012 00:55

Europe 2007. What a nightmare!

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: July 21, 2012 00:56

... giving Petrol Blues a vasectomy job should be No1

ROCKMAN

Posted by: stupidguy2 ()
Date: July 21, 2012 00:58

The Days of Our Lives/Beverly Hills 9*** whatever tie-in...?

Posted by: ChefGuevara ()
Date: July 21, 2012 00:59

10. Worst album — The album “Dirty Work,” released in 1986 is often viewed as the band’s worst recording, producing no favorable hits. As for the band’s worst song, try the title track from the album “Emotional Rescue” released in 1980. Mick Jagger tries to sound like the Bee Gees.

9. Filthy words — In February 2006 the band performed at the Super Bowl and Mr. Jagger was asked to omit some words with sexual connotations from two songs. As expected, he did not and his microphone was temporarily dipped.

8. “The Ed Sullivan Show” — In a performance on “The Ed Sullivan Show” in 1967, Sullivan requested Mr. Jagger to change the line in the song “Let’s Spend the Night Together,” to “Let’s spend some time together.” After cursing out talent coordinator Vince Calandra before going on the stage, Mr. Jagger does what he is told but sarcastically exaggerates the altered lyrics and rolls his eyes.

7. The “Undercover” album art cover — The 1983 album “Undercover” had one of the absolutely worst art covers: a naked lady with her private parts covered by decals which could be peeled off.

6. X-rated documentary — On their 1972 tour of the U.S., the Rolling Stones let Robert Frank film a behind-the-scenes documentary. When the band saw the finished project, it was so provocative, raunchy and raw they sued to prevent it being shown. Mr. Frank won a court ruling which allows him to screen it four times a year. According to Rolling Stone magazine, in one scene a roadie “has sex with a reluctant-looking groupie on a plane while the band bangs on percussion instruments.” “I hope you are all ready for misogyny, boredom and ecstasy — stupor and exhaustion,” warned Jeff Rosenheim, when it was screened at Metropolitan Museum of Art in 2009.

5. Drug bust —Mr. Jagger was arrested in 1967 with Rolling Stones guitarist Keith Richards for possession of an illegal drug and was initially sentenced to a year in prison. Both convictions were overturned following an appeal. In 1977, Mr. Richards was arrested in Toronto on charges of cocaine and heroin possession but escaped punishment. Years later, Rolling Stone guitarist Ron Wood estimated he spent more than $25 million on drugs and alcohol.

4. Misogynist billboard — The Rolling Stones promoted their album “Black and Blue” with a billboard on Sunset Boulevard in Hollywood that featured model Anita Russell bruised and bound by Mr. Jagger under the phrase, “I’m Black and Blue from the Rolling Stones — and I love it!” The billboard was removed after protests by the group Women Against Violence Against Women, although it garnered the band widespread media coverage.

3. Kids as drug mules — When the band was recording “Exile on Main St.” in France in the early 1970s, socialite Tommy Weber flew in for Mr. Jagger’s wedding with a kilo of cocaine. According to Robert Greenfield in his recent “Exile on Main St.: A Season in Hell With the Rolling Stones,” Weber got the drugs past customs by using money belts strapped underneath the clothes of his two small sons, who were to be pageboys at Mr. Jagger’s wedding.

2. The death at Altamont — During a performance of “Sympathy for the Devil” by the Rolling Stones at the Altamont Speedway Free Festival, a fight erupted in front of the stage. The Stones continued to perform through the melee. Then, during the song “Under My Thumb,” 18-year-old Meredith Hunter was stabbed to death by a member of the Hell’s Angels, who were hired as security and paid with free beer. The stabbing was recorded in the film “Gimme Shelter.”

1. The death of Brian Jones — Hard-living Rolling Stones guitarist Brian Jones was found dead in his swimming pool in July 1969. The talented instrumentalist and original leader of the Stones died at his mansion in rural Sussex, months after leaving the band. The death was ruled “death by misadventure.” It was generally assumed, the 27-year-old’s death was due to a drug overdose. Conspiracy theories abound, as some believe Jones was murdered. Mr. Jagger and Mr. Richards did not attend the funeral. In 2010, police said they would not reopen the case despite new evidence.

Posted by: memphiscats ()
Date: July 21, 2012 01:13

OK - while these were not shining moments for the boys, the fact that the band has 10 worst moments is telling. Frankly, most of the 10 don't gel as the worst of the worst. Ha - I'm sure most of us here could come up with a far more debasing list. However, I've been sworn to secrecy by the Stones secret service so I can't divulge - you all know how that goes. It isn't pretty, but we do what we can to stay in the witness protection plan. smoking smiley

Posted by: stupidguy2 ()
Date: July 21, 2012 01:14

That's a Bullshit list. When I read that Emotional Rescue was the 'worst' - I had an idea how the rest of the list would go....

Posted by: Send It To me ()
Date: July 21, 2012 01:18

2012 and adults are still worried about naughty words. (sigh)

This lame-o has obviously never jammed out to the awesomeness that is One Hit to the Body - his loss.

Posted by: NoCode0680 ()
Date: July 21, 2012 01:22

I can see all of them to some extent, except for the beef with the Undercover album artwork. It's not an iconic album cover, it's not even one of the more iconic Stones album covers, but I see no reason to rag on it. Especially when you have the Dirty Work cover to talk about. But since they've already ragged on Dirty Work for the music itself, I guess it would have been repetitive to also rag on it for the cover. Though I guess they could have included it with the general complaining about the album, but then they would have needed to come up with another "Worst Moment".

Seriously. Is this....

really worse than this......

????????????????????

Posted by: lettingitbleed ()
Date: July 21, 2012 01:57

Nothing in this world is worse than the Dirty Work cover.

Nothing.

Posted by: Honestman ()
Date: July 21, 2012 02:07

lettingitbleed

Nothing.

HMN

Posted by: punkfloyd ()
Date: July 21, 2012 02:10

Date: July 21, 2012 02:11

lettingitbleed

Nothing.

HMN

Date: July 21, 2012 02:34

lettingitbleed

Nothing.

Yeah, anytime there is one of those lists of Worst Album Covers put out, Dirty Work usually makes it on there. It's up there with Ken By Request Only. While I've never heard any praise for the Undercover album cover, I've never really heard it getting bashed either.

I think the author took issue with Undercover because he/she felt the naked woman under the decals was tacky. But I think the naked cartoon woman getting her rocks off on the giant tongue on the cover of Live Licks is more tacky than Undercover.

Posted by: Spodlumt ()
Date: July 21, 2012 03:21

Why leave off the variety of duets that Mick has sung in concert with various acts like Justin Timberlake, Sheryl Crow, Dave Matthews, Christina Aguilera or Axl Rose? Truly desperate and cringe worthy....

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: July 21, 2012 04:03

Amy Winehouse on stage with The Stones.

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: July 21, 2012 04:05

78 through Dirty Work.

Posted by: peoplewitheyes ()
Date: July 21, 2012 04:13

SW and BtoB are both infinitely worse covers than DW

Posted by: Eleanor Rigby ()
Date: July 21, 2012 06:27

what about Jagger wearing the Madonna microphone !!! disgusting.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: July 21, 2012 07:23

More Hot Rocks
Amy Winehouse on stage with The Stones.

Justin Timberlake on stage as well.

And when Keith decided to defend him, he truly turned into a big sissy at that point in Stones history.
In the blink of an eye, Keith turned from the bad boy of rock and roll into a wimp...definitely one of the worst moments imo.

Date: July 21, 2012 07:46

And when Keith decided to defend him, he truly turned into a big sissy at that point in Stones history.

...F'n BS ...
If Keith hadda stepped ta one side and let the crowd to
throw what they like at him you'd be on here sceeeemin' that
Keith didn't stand-up for a fellow performer ......

ROCKMAN

Posted by: ab ()
Date: July 21, 2012 08:00

Bad cover discussion and not a word about No Security?

[en.wikipedia.org]

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: July 21, 2012 08:26

Rockman

...F'n BS ...
If Keith hadda stepped ta one side and let the crowd to
throw what they like at him you'd be on here sceeeemin' that
Keith didn't stand-up for a fellow performer ......

Hahaha...I don't think so Rockman, but perhaps you would.

Reminds me of seeing Prince open for the Stones in L.A. in '81 getting tons of shit thrown at him.
While he wasn't on stage with the Stones, maybe Keith should have stepped out to defend him also?
Instead, Keith criticized him after the fact, and basically said he reaped what he sowed.

Date: July 21, 2012 08:32

...Awww well make-up ya mind what ya reckon Keith should do ....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: July 21, 2012 09:34

Harlem Shuffle made it to number 5 on the US charts, Undercover of the Night only to number 9. Although I think both are wonderful studio recordings, I'll bet people in general are more familiar with Harlem Shuffle than Undercover of the Night. Thus my contention that Undercover is the lesser album. One Hit to the Body was at least a minor hit while the Undercover album had nothing else going for it single wise. (She Was Hot was not a hit).

Date: July 21, 2012 10:54

Probably the real Worst moment of the last 10 years...

just my 2cts winking smiley

HMN

Date: July 21, 2012 11:13

peoplewitheyes
SW and BtoB are both infinitely worse covers than DW

I guess it goes to show that everybody has different taste. I don't love those covers, but I think they're OK. Steel Wheels is kind of simple, and while B2B sticks out like a sore thumb I think it's alright. The version with the silver cover (which I think all versions are now) are much better than the one with the desert in the background that the Regular Edition came with.

Posted by: harrybo ()
Date: July 21, 2012 11:18

Frankfurt 2007 was my worst Stones-moment

oh.....and 1998 when I went to a concert on the wrong night.

Posted by: KeithNacho ()
Date: July 21, 2012 12:20

Barcelona 2007...........uufffffffffffffff!!!!!
She's so cold on Wembley 1982
SFTD on SAL
Charkie's throat disease in 2005
Mick Jagger & Joe Satriani
Keith Richards sharing stage in Sevilla with Miguel Bosé
The Justin Timberlake thing
Album covers in general are bad, awful bad (UC, SW, DW, BTB, ABB.............)
MJ's videoclips.....Hard woman, let's work.................
KR's guitar skills since 1999

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2382
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home