Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Stanley Booth - Runny Nose, White Hair & Touring With The Stones
Posted by: Cocaine Eyes ()
Date: July 16, 2012 15:19

*Apologies if this is already here somewhere*

[www.gq-magazine.co.uk]

spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Re: Stanley Booth - Runny Nose, White Hair & Touring With The Stones
Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: July 16, 2012 16:01

Thanks again Cocaine Eyes! Here's an article about KR from the same magazine.

[www.gq-magazine.co.uk]

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: July 16, 2012 16:03

thanks for posting that.

wish he'd write more. Booth has a lot to share, maybe he doesn't want to write any more. I sure like his books.

Date: July 16, 2012 16:05

I also love his books. Wonder why he hasn't written more books!

And thanks for the article about Keith.

smoking smiley

Posted by: CousinC ()
Date: July 16, 2012 16:52

I love S. Booth books and "True adventures" is one of the best about the Stones for shure.
But I always thought he's been a bit of a musicians' whore and didn't like the way he always sneaks into picture when camera was filming.

Posted by: stupidguy2 ()
Date: July 16, 2012 18:42

CousinC
I love S. Booth books and "True adventures" is one of the best about the Stones for shure.
But I always thought he's been a bit of a musicians' whore and didn't like the way he always sneaks into picture when camera was filming.

I didn't really like the way he always sneaks into the narrative. His books are more about him than his subject. But I did enjoy True Adventures as a document of a certain time. And yes, he always seemed to be a bit of a musician's whore...he seemed to think of himself as part of the inner circle, and that compromises a writer's ability to be a 'witness'.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: July 16, 2012 19:05

Stanley will be honored in Darien, GA USA on August 25. From the announcement:

Honoring Stanley Booth on August 25, our last night of musical performances, for a distinguished career in the field of music writing. Booth, a Waycross native, has travelled the world in music circles and is the author of two books: Rhythm Oil and The True Adventures of The Rolling Stones

[www.georgiahumanities.org]

BTW, Rose Lane Leavell (Chuck's wife) is Chairperson for New Harmonies in Georgia and the Darien area is rich in Native American, African, and European musical heritage.

[www.cityofdarienga.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2012-07-16 19:20 by Elmo Lewis.

Date: July 16, 2012 19:28

stupidguy2
CousinC

I didn't really like the way he always sneaks into the narrative. His books are more about him than his subject. But I did enjoy True Adventures as a document of a certain time. And yes, he always seemed to be a bit of a musician's whore...he seemed to think of himself as part of the inner circle, and that compromises a writer's ability to be a 'witness'.

I actually liked his parallel story, to me, it added a more human element to the book. On the other hand, I didn't care for the way Robert Greenfield injected stories about groupies and fans in STP. I didn't think they were very interesting, skipped over most of them. But I think Booth is a much better writer than Greenfield.

Date: July 16, 2012 23:14

Elmo Lewis

Honoring Stanley Booth on August 25, our last night of musical performances, for a distinguished career in the field of music writing. Booth, a Waycross native, has travelled the world in music circles and is the author of two books: Rhythm Oil and The True Adventures of The Rolling Stones

BTW, Rose Lane Leavell (Chuck's wife) is Chairperson for New Harmonies in Georgia and the Darien area is rich in Native American, African, and European musical heritage.

[www.cityofdarienga.com]

and is the author of two books: Rhythm Oil and The True Adventures of The Rolling Stones

there's another book by Booth called Keith
its good too, a memoir/short form bio of Keith and his family, written over 20 years ago

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: July 16, 2012 23:35

Elmo Lewis

[www.cityofdarienga.com]

Thanks Elmo, good info here. peace

Date: July 16, 2012 23:42

I may go to the event in Darien if any of yall are in the area.

Date: July 17, 2012 00:08

duke richardson
Elmo Lewis

[www.cityofdarienga.com]

and is the author of two books: Rhythm Oil and The True Adventures of The Rolling Stones

there's another book by Booth called Keith
its good too, a memoir/short form bio of Keith and his family, written over 20 years ago

I have all three of Booth's books. Are there only the three - have I missed one/some?

Date: July 17, 2012 00:19

latebloomer
stupidguy2
CousinC

I actually liked his parallel story, to me, it added a more human element to the book. On the other hand, I didn't care for the way Robert Greenfield injected stories about groupies and fans in STP. I didn't think they were very interesting, skipped over most of them. But I think Booth is a much better writer than Greenfield.

That's funny. I'm the opposite. I loved Greenfield fly-on-the-wall approach to the environment the Stones created, the chaos around them as they went on their merry ways. That to me is more of a document, a place in time - the way he paralleled the politics, the music, the culture of 1972 America. It's like a companion piece for me to Thompson's On the Campaign Trail 72 opus. It wasn't so bogged down in the standard bio/gossipy soap opera of their personal lives. The Stones were on tour and Greenfield showed their professionalism, work ethic....they were working while other things around them fell apart as they, especially Jagger/Rudge, tried to keep the ship afloat. Like how that one guy got thrown off the tour and Jagger's reaction to it or how he tried to be diplomatic. Greenfield had the perfect balance of distance and awareness. Jagger later said Greenfield wasn't really present.....but that's what a good journalist does - keep away from the subject. Maybe the Stones were used to someone like Booth rubbing their shoulders, sharing drugs etc...
but that's what became grating about the Booth book: he started to think he was one of them. He wasn't. Greenfield never got close and he wasn't supposed to be.

Posted by: stonesnow ()
Date: July 17, 2012 00:32

Speaking about touring with the Stones, has anyone heard this interview with Sam Cutler?

blogs.abc.net.au/files/sam-cutler-air.mp3

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-07-17 00:37 by stonesnow.

Posted by: filstan ()
Date: July 17, 2012 01:04

I liked the Booth interview.

Stanley was there with the band in 1969. He was very well accepted by the musicians and therefore his writtings represent as true a picture of what it was like to hang with the band in those days that we have. I am sure his ego became slightly inflated in the process, but you can't deny the quality of his writting. Not many others could have pulled it off as well as Stanley did. Ethan Russells book is also a good one on the 69 tour although the writting is not as in depth as Booth's was. Like many others who made into the inner circle Booth fell victim to the demons that claimed the lives of many. At least he made it out to the other side after sinking deep.

Greenfields STP book was also a great read. It has that manic twinge you know was there for that tour with the all the Amyl, coke, heroin, weed, and booze to go along with the frentic pace of the 1972 whirlwind. Very enjoyable stuff to read.

Posted by: memphiscats ()
Date: July 17, 2012 03:35

filstan

Stanley was there with the band in 1969. He was very well accepted by the musicians and therefore his writtings represent as true a picture of what it was like to hang with the band in those days that we have. I am sure his ego became slightly inflated in the process, but you can't deny the quality of his writting. Not many others could have pulled it off as well as Stanley did. Ethan Russells book is also a good one on the 69 tour although the writting is not as in depth as Booth's was. Like many others who made into the inner circle Booth fell victim to the demons that claimed the lives of many. At least he made it out to the other side after sinking deep.

Greenfields STP book was also a great read. It has that manic twinge you know was there for that tour with the all the Amyl, coke, heroin, weed, and booze to go along with the frentic pace of the 1972 whirlwind. Very enjoyable stuff to read.
Well said filstan. Like many here, I'm partial to Stanley. I've read most of the books on the Stones & Stanley's is in a class of its own. To me he is by far the best writer on the boys. However I greatly enjoyed the STP.
Cheers

Date: July 17, 2012 03:50

memphiscats
filstan

Well said filstan. Like many here, I'm partial to Stanley. I've read most of the books on the Stones & Stanley's is in a class of its own. To me he is by far the best writer on the boys. However I greatly enjoyed the STP.
Cheers

Agree with all of this. I don't dislike Greenfield's book, I enjoyed it very much. I just think Stanley Booth's is so much better. To me, it's the quality of his writing that elevates his book over all the others.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: July 17, 2012 04:34

....................................Rythm Oil

ROCKMAN

Date: July 17, 2012 06:01

All that matters is that good writers reel you in with their prose. It is a communicative skill that has made book reading a psychic adventure for centuries. A great book is one that makes you so enthralled that you can't wait to turn the page to get deeper into the story.

Booth brought us deeper into The Rolling Stones. For the fans this was a great revelation to experience life within the band on that level. Think about it. Booth was at Muscle Shoals when they cut Wild Horses, Brown Sugar, You Got to Move, and he saw them break those songs down and get em finished in just a few days. How cool was that? It's in Gimme Shelter, and it looks very cool on the film doesn't it, even as short as it was from the Maysles? I never get sick of watching that stuff even after what 40 years....

Thanks again Stanley. You done good.

Date: July 17, 2012 15:32

2 questions:

1. Does he read this site?

2. How well did he know Gram Parsons (both from Waycross)?

Date: July 17, 2012 15:48

Elmo, I believe Booth wrote about knowing Parsons from his time with the Stones in California, but not from earlier since GP grew up in Winter Haven Florida

But he had plans to write a Parsons biography, it was on his website for awhile, that he was working on it...guess he shelved that...don't know.

Date: July 17, 2012 16:02

Thanks, duke!

Posted by: CousinC ()
Date: July 17, 2012 18:00

I have no problem with his writing style. As I said I very much like his books and have them all even if he makes it known always and again that he was part of the gang.

But every Stones footage where he was present (Gimme Shelter, YaYa's bonus,etc.) he tried to sneak into the focus of the camera. Not everybody else did that. Just take a look!

Date: July 17, 2012 18:37

CousinC
I have no problem with his writing style. As I said I very much like his books and have them all even if he makes it known always and again that he was part of the gang.

But every Stones footage where he was present (Gimme Shelter, YaYa's bonus,etc.) he tried to sneak into the focus of the camera. Not everybody else did that. Just take a look!

Same here...I enjoyed True Adventures too...
but there was something self-aggrandizing about his own place in the text. I didn't care about his love life. He interspersed his personal drama with the Stones'. Its more memoir than bio and I can appreciate it for what it is.

Date: July 17, 2012 18:51

CousinC

It was logical that he was in the film footage because he was around those guys alot. I never saw him as sneaking into the camera view. He wasn't mugging for the cameras. If anything like most of us he looks sometimes uncomfortable around the movie cameras, whereas Mick and Keith seem almost aloof to camera presence. I like the look on Booth's face when they are arriving into a hotel room and Keith throws on the Brown Sugar tape. The film crew sticks this light meter right into Stanley's face. The guys were clearly having a good time and digging the newly recorded tune that for us fans emerged in the movie as this very cool new Stones song not yet released on the future Stcky Fingers LP.

Posted by: Bliss ()
Date: July 18, 2012 11:58

stupidguy2
CousinC

Completely agree. I cringed when I read about his love life. To be fair, I think it must have been pretty hard to be around the RS, especially in their cocky heyday. Most writers have at least normal-sized egos, but to be around superstars, you need to give that up - you are hanging around these people because they are gifted and famous; they are not hanging around you. Truman Capote couldn't hack it; he flounced off in a huff and trashed them spitefully in the press. Barbara Charone was clearly in love with Keith. Victor Bockris did a pretty good job. Bill German was like an eager puppy. Spanish Tony pathetically hoped that Keith would teach him guitar so that he could join the band!

I enjoyed this interview. Stanley sounds like a cool guy to be around.

Date: July 18, 2012 19:28

Bliss
stupidguy2
CousinC

Completely agree. I cringed when I read about his love life. To be fair, I think it must have been pretty hard to be around the RS, especially in their cocky heyday. Most writers have at least normal-sized egos, but to be around superstars, you need to give that up - you are hanging around these people because they are gifted and famous; they are not hanging around you. Truman Capote couldn't hack it; he flounced off in a huff and trashed them spitefully in the press. Barbara Charone was clearly in love with Keith. Victor Bockris did a pretty good job. Bill German was like an eager puppy. Spanish Tony pathetically hoped that Keith would teach him guitar so that he could join the band!

I enjoyed this interview. Stanley sounds like a cool guy to be around.

Charone was the worst. That book did more to turn me slightly against Keith than any other...
Also, Booth was a young music writer at the height of the counter culture....that generation of (Rolling Stone Magazine-style) music journalists really did think of themselves as quasi-Rock Stars.

Posted by: Honestman ()
Date: July 28, 2012 19:32

Just wonderin' about the last page of the book
Thanks to :
...Keith Richards, Bill Wyman, Ian Stewart...

No Mick J or T
No Charlie

Any idea ???

HMN

Date: July 28, 2012 19:48

Honestman
Thanks to :

No Mick J or T
No Charlie

Any idea ???

he has no animosity towards Jagger; just doesn't think very highly of him. Like many protagonists from that era, they see the Stones as the band and personalities of those years. I think they ceased to exist for them after the 70's.

Posted by: Honestman ()
Date: July 28, 2012 19:52

Palace Revolution 2000
Honestman
Thanks to :

No Mick J or T
No Charlie

Any idea ???

he has no animosity towards Jagger; just doesn't think very highly of him. Like many protagonists from that era, they see the Stones as the band and personalities of those years. I think they ceased to exist for them after the 70's.

Probably Tony, some got their thanks, some not, useless to go further...winking smiley

HMN

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2668
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home