Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345678Next
Current Page: 6 of 8
Re: eRe: OT: Opinions about sharing/downloading
Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: July 20, 2012 17:58

Green Lady
StonesTod
Green Lady
I understand the technical difference between theft and copyright violation. Nevertheless, when copyright material is routinely taken for free, something is being stolen from someone, and eventually, if it stops being financially rewarding to create a wonderful recording or a blockbuster movie, it won't get done, and we will all be the poorer.

so it's only theft if it's routine.

now we know.

It only makes enough difference in practical financial terms if it's routine. One basketful of shoplifting (though illegal) won't bankrupt the supermarket, but if everyone is walking out all day with trolleys full and driving away free vanloads, sooner or later it's not worth staying in business.

i will put a challenge out to other free(down)loaders out there. cut your illegal activity in half for the next month and I'll match it.

Posted by: cowboytoast ()
Date: July 20, 2012 18:55

StonesTod
Green Lady
StonesTod
Green Lady
I understand the technical difference between theft and copyright violation. Nevertheless, when copyright material is routinely taken for free, something is being stolen from someone, and eventually, if it stops being financially rewarding to create a wonderful recording or a blockbuster movie, it won't get done, and we will all be the poorer.

now we know.

It only makes enough difference in practical financial terms if it's routine. One basketful of shoplifting (though illegal) won't bankrupt the supermarket, but if everyone is walking out all day with trolleys full and driving away free vanloads, sooner or later it's not worth staying in business.

i will put a challenge out to other free(down)loaders out there. cut your illegal activity in half for the next month and I'll match it.

I'm buying StonesTod a beer...

as far as the music industry goes...it's all a commercial joke...when someone puts out something i want i buy it...otherwise i will download it...if i cost the man a job who is responsible for exposing me to Lady GaGa, Jay-Z, Backstreet Boys, No Doubt and the like...then I think I am doing a public service...and some jackass on here who has a bar band who is paying a lot of money to record in a studio and press up CD's that they eventually end up giving away gets what they deserve...it's not 1973 anymore...

don't quit your day job...

Re: OT: Opinions about sharing/downloading
Date: July 20, 2012 18:58

thank you. nobody ever buys me anything. prolly cos i steal what i need. but, thanks.

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: July 20, 2012 19:21

cowboytoast

Ahhhhhhh crap!
Hopefully there's still time

Date: July 20, 2012 19:28

The industry lost me when they started trying to charge for what I had already paid for. I must have bought Brown Sugar 10 times since the first LP to the latest CD.

Then when changing computers here and there and after time goes by, MP3's would not play saying it was searching for a license to proove it was a legal copy. Well it would never find it and called it Windows Protected Content. I bought the damn thing and it wont let me play it...

That was the end. I became the Downloader of Justice.
Been spreading Justice and Uploads ever since and all my files play...

Posted by: neylon79 ()
Date: July 20, 2012 19:41

One thing I want to bring up is that downloading a bootleg is still technically taking money from the artists. Yes, the recording is not official, so it is not able to be purchased in a store, but the songwriting royalties are not paid out. Everyone seems to have no problem with the distribution of concerts without having to pay the writers of the songs. That is illegal, but no one looks at it the same way they look at downloading the official recording.

I tend to think that the lack of album sales is due to a number of things-
1.The music just isn't as good (on the radio anyway)
2.The production is over compressed and fatiguing to the ears
3.Itunes has made every song a single, so no one has to buy and album if they like 2-5 songs on the album. Individual songs will continue to rise, but overall song sales will suffer since consumers have total choice now
4.Pirating
5.The digital medium is permanent. You don't have to rebuy an album because the tape was eaten, the record scratched/wore out, or you want a copy for the car. You rip a cd to flac and back it up and you have it forever. Obviously this leads to the remastered releases with bonus material to get us to buy things again

There is nothing the industry can do about the medium, album only downloads are not going to become standard, and concentrating on content/reversing the loudness wars would take someone with some vision/talent.

That leaves pirating, which is a good target- it's illegal and can be pursued through the legal system. I think over time the industry will be viewed as fighting an unwinnable war, and song costs will increase to cover the piracy loss. I tend to buy music on cd because I like to make a lossless copy, and I tend to buy used, so I guess I'm not getting the artist any money, but people who sell music are still getting paid.

Date: July 20, 2012 20:39

neylon79
One thing I want to bring up is that downloading a bootleg is still technically taking money from the artists.

support your local bootlegger. Buy bootlegs.

Date: July 20, 2012 21:01

StonesTod
neylon79
One thing I want to bring up is that downloading a bootleg is still technically taking money from the artists.

support your local bootlegger. Buy bootlegs.

Thank you. You're very kind to think of me.

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: July 20, 2012 23:00

cowboytoast
StonesTod
Green Lady
StonesTod
Green Lady

now we know.

as far as the music industry goes...it's all a commercial joke...when someone puts out something i want i buy it...otherwise i will download it...if i cost the man a job who is responsible for exposing me to Lady GaGa, Jay-Z, Backstreet Boys, No Doubt and the like...then I think I am doing a public service...and some jackass on here who has a bar band who is paying a lot of money to record in a studio and press up CD's that they eventually end up giving away gets what they deserve...it's not 1973 anymore...

So... the whole industry is a joke in your eyes. You only steal what you don't want? I'm assuming you store your stolen property in files and give someone else the password so you don't have to listen to what you've ripped off?

And you actually feel justified in actively taking away someone's livelihood for exposing you to artists that you're too macho for (this must be the music that you DON'T want - that you're jacking).

And you actively discourage musicians from working, saying that they deserve the losses that they may occur? You have some SERIOUS contempt for artists and musicians for some reason buddy.

Congrats, you've earned this.

[thepowergoats.com]

Date: July 20, 2012 23:06

jamesfdouglas
cowboytoast
StonesTod
Green Lady
StonesTod
Green Lady

now we know.

So... the whole industry is a joke in your eyes. You only steal what you don't want? I'm assuming you store your stolen property in files and give someone else the password so you don't have to listen to what you've ripped off?

And you actually feel justified in actively taking away someone's livelihood for exposing you to artists that you're too macho for (this must be the music that you DON'T want - that you're jacking).

And you actively discourage musicians from working, saying that they deserve the losses that they may occur? You have some SERIOUS contempt for artists and musicians for some reason buddy.

are there any claims on the prize for next week? i'm trying to beef up my resume.

Date: July 20, 2012 23:40

The powergoat has spoken....lets let it marinate for a while, huh?

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: July 21, 2012 00:24

[sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net]

Sorry, I can't figure out how to put this up by itself, but I thought it was a good quote for this thread. This issue seems to be a big topic now on many social media sites.

Posted by: ROPENI ()
Date: July 21, 2012 02:53

jamesfdouglas
cowboytoast
StonesTod
Green Lady
StonesTod
Green Lady

now we know.

The "Artist" has spoken >grinning smiley<

"No dope smoking no beer sold after 12 o'clock"

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: July 21, 2012 03:01

..........here ya go Bloomer ... just ta help things along

ROCKMAN

Date: July 21, 2012 03:07

Why bring Vince into this

that hurts my heart....

Date: July 21, 2012 03:17

Thanks Rockman, have to figure out how to do that sometime. Don't complain about Vince to me Munichhilton, one of the first concerts my future spouse took me to was Conway Twitty.

Date: July 21, 2012 03:23

I love Conway.
That was the best perm in country music.

I never got to see him, but damn I listen to him a lot.

Jesus Is A Soul Man!

Thanks for bringing him up!!!

Date: July 21, 2012 03:32

Munichhilton
I love Conway.
That was the best perm in country music.

I never got to see him, but damn I listen to him a lot.

Jesus Is A Soul Man!

Thanks for bringing him up!!!

Happy to oblige. I was fairly ignorant of country music at that time, and I will never forget my amazement when I saw Conway's bus parked right in the arena, next to the stage. A young Reba McEntire was the opening act. The whole experience was like being in a time warp - 50's hairdos on the women, men in cowboy hats swigging from flasks, and there was me in whatever awful 80's outfit I had on.

Date: July 21, 2012 03:36

.....get the early Harold Jenkins ( Conway Twitty ) rockin' stuff on
Sun and the later material cut at Bradley's in Nashville ....

....it's Only Make Believe ... Lonely Boy Blue ....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: stonesnow ()
Date: July 21, 2012 03:53

latebloomer
Thanks Rockman, have to figure out how to do that sometime.

When composing your post, just put tags around the URL so the system knows it's an image you're uploading.

Date: July 21, 2012 04:11

stonesnow
latebloomer

When composing your post, just put tags around the URL so the system knows it's an image you're uploading.

I'll try it next time stonesnow, thanks.

Date: July 21, 2012 04:13

Rockman

.....get the early Harold Jenkins ( Conway Twitty ) rockin' stuff on
Sun and the later material cut at Bradley's in Nashville ....

....it's Only Make Believe ... Lonely Boy Blue ....

I'll give it a listen, thanks.

Posted by: stonesnow ()
Date: July 21, 2012 04:27

latebloomer
stonesnow
latebloomer

I'll try it next time stonesnow, thanks.

I see the tags didn't make it into the post. It's IMG for image with brackets around it--the second IMG tag has a backslash between the bracket and the I.

Posted by: MILKYWAY ()
Date: July 21, 2012 19:53

If you have to ask, it probably is.

Date: July 25, 2012 01:06

........THE AGE 25 July 2012

ROCKMAN

Date: July 25, 2012 01:31

let google hang; use yahoo.

Date: July 25, 2012 02:11

David Cameron is 45, so he's probably reluctant to act too awful quickly to stop illegal downloading...

Posted by: Stones62 ()
Date: July 25, 2012 02:18

jamesfdouglas
Damned right it's stealing.
If it's on a computer and/or device of yours, and you didn't pay for it, you're a thief, just as if you shoplifted it from a store.
Have to agree. Downloading an artist's work without paying for it is thievery. Just because the technology makes it easy to do doesn't make it right.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-07-25 02:39 by Stones62.

Posted by: Stones62 ()
Date: July 25, 2012 02:25

Lorenz
It's not stealing, because stealing implies that you take something away and then it's gone. MP3s or movies cannot be stolen, the original stays.
I think you're logic is flawed. Stealing is not making something "'disappear', it's taking something without paying for it. Employing the rationale you use here, stealing a printed copy of a book would be fine so long as you don't take the original manuscript.

Date: July 25, 2012 02:27

What is it called when you are invested in buying the LP, then the 8-track, then the Cassette, then the CD, then the SuperCD, then the HiREZ CD, then the DTS CD and up to this moment the 58th remastered version of the first CD with extra audio tracks - all derived of the same original LP that you've already bought?

Isn't there an age limit here?
I'm dead tired of paying for Exile On Main St.

Its cost me hundreds and hundreds...

Goto Page: Previous12345678Next
Current Page: 6 of 8

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2522
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home