Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345678Next
Current Page: 7 of 8
Re: OT: Opinions about sharing/downloading
Posted by: Stones62 ()
Date: July 25, 2012 02:34

liddas
Public libraries are places where I can borrow any book for free, read it, ad give it back. For ages, this was the main access to culture for most of the people.

File sharing works the same way: free access to art is a good thing.

plenty of ways to acheive this. Not so many people willing to do so.

C
Not a good analogy really. Libraries pay for every book they lend and most cases they are returned. Can abyone say that with certainty that they file they downloaded was paid for by the seeder? And when was the last time anyone here returned a mp3 they downloaded?

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: July 25, 2012 04:08

Stones62
liddas
Public libraries are places where I can borrow any book for free, read it, ad give it back. For ages, this was the main access to culture for most of the people.

C
Not a good analogy really. Libraries pay for every book they lend and most cases they are returned. Can abyone say that with certainty that they file they downloaded was paid for by the seeder? And when was the last time anyone here returned a mp3 they downloaded?

Also public libraries (in the UK at any rate) pay the author a Public Lending Right fee depending on how many times the work is borrowed. If something like that could be worked out electronically it would help a bit. Personally I'd think it unlikely that someone offering official music or film content for free download on a public site ever paid for it themselves - unlike scanned copies of magazines, where the scanner at least has bought a copy.

I think the future for music buying must lie in providing those things that your "cheap and nasty" free mp3 can't - higher quality files, flac or whatever, liner notes, vinyl, box sets with extras, live performance - physical things that can't be easily duplicated. Something like that is happening with the Kindle for books. It is recognised that many classic books are available free - but if you want a nice format you may need to pay extra, and if you want colour or illustrations you will still need to get a physical copy - at the moment.

The other thing that is happening with books, of course, is online self-publishing - the trouble with that being that there is zero quality control. The future for music may also lie in wading through reams of vanity-output to find the few things that are at least competent...

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: July 25, 2012 05:06

Is posting of photos, articles etc etc any different?

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: July 25, 2012 05:45

Technically and legally it's all breach of copyright: I don't think anyone is disputing that. Where we differ is about the morality , not the legality, of doing it.

Scanned articles (and especially scanned photographs from magazines) are not usually of comparable quality to the printed original, so people are perhaps a bit more likely to buy the mag. I prefer a physical book or magazine anyway. Whereas the free mp3 download is exactly the same article that is being offered for sale by ITunes or Amazon, so there is no incentive at all (other than personal feeling) to buy what you could have free.

We had this debate a while ago - whatever the correct legal position, the consensus here seemed to be that picking out and posting a few pages was fair, but copying and posting an entire book (recently published and easily available at a reasonable price) was not.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: July 25, 2012 07:12

ROCKMAN

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: July 25, 2012 13:11

Stones62
liddas

C

You didn't get my point, that simply was it is a good thing to have free access to art. I also added that the cost of this ideal situation should not be paid by the artists.

How to acheive this goal (free access to art / fair compensation to the artists), is the task that copyright legislations should address.

As latins law men would say, you can discuss de jure condito (on existing laws) or de jure condendo (on future laws). I am discussing de jure condendo.

Many attempts have been done in this direction. The tax on digital storage devices is one example. Every single blank cd that has been sold in Italy in the past 10 years or so, carried a surcharge that (in principle) went to the profit of artists (and let's not make further comments).

Should I feel extorted because I paid a share of Mr. Jovanotti (example of top seller Italian artist) upteenth vintage Gibson when I just can't stand his music?

C

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: July 25, 2012 13:57

Munichhilton
What is it called when you are invested in buying the LP, then the 8-track, then the Cassette, then the CD, then the SuperCD, then the HiREZ CD, then the DTS CD and up to this moment the 58th remastered version of the first CD with extra audio tracks - all derived of the same original LP that you've already bought?

Isn't there an age limit here?
I'm dead tired of paying for Exile On Main St.

Its cost me hundreds and hundreds...

apparently you're just a tired thief, but a thief all the same. sigh.

isn't stealing ok if you really, really want it bad???

Posted by: Stones62 ()
Date: July 26, 2012 02:55

For those who think it's OK to steal an artists work, consider this if you will...

Date: July 26, 2012 16:10

Stones62
For those who think it's OK to steal an artists work, consider this if you will...

it's been considered and it's still ok...i think.

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: July 26, 2012 17:33

Stones62

"Most importantly, you are buying that artist more time to do something they are truly passionate about".

Now that I know that all the money collected through copyright goes into women, drugs and vodka I feel more confortable in buying official stuff!

C

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-07-26 17:34 by liddas.

Posted by: andrewt ()
Date: July 26, 2012 17:34

Why would anyone want to buy thousands of failures?

Date: July 26, 2012 17:36

andrewt

failure obsession is among the leading causes of bad taste

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: July 26, 2012 17:44

andrewt

To keep them out of circulation.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: July 26, 2012 19:11

andrewt

Because of failures you can learn.

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: July 26, 2012 19:23

StonesTod
Munichhilton
What is it called when you are invested in buying the LP, then the 8-track, then the Cassette, then the CD, then the SuperCD, then the HiREZ CD, then the DTS CD and up to this moment the 58th remastered version of the first CD with extra audio tracks - all derived of the same original LP that you've already bought?

It ain't stealing when you've bought it a thousand times...I have ownership perpetual.

The things that I used to do, ain't nobody's business, I paid the cost to be the boss

Date: July 26, 2012 19:25

Munichhilton
StonesTod
Munichhilton

It ain't stealing when you've bought it a thousand times...I have ownership perpetual.

The things that I used to do, ain't nobody's business, I paid the cost to be the boss

i will gladly pay for a cd tomorrow that i stole today....

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: July 26, 2012 19:27

liddas
Stones62
liddas

C

You didn't get my point, that simply was it is a good thing to have free access to art. I also added that the cost of this ideal situation should not be paid by the artists.

How to acheive this goal (free access to art / fair compensation to the artists), is the task that copyright legislations should address.

As latins law men would say, you can discuss de jure condito (on existing laws) or de jure condendo (on future laws). I am discussing de jure condendo.

Many attempts have been done in this direction. The tax on digital storage devices is one example. Every single blank cd that has been sold in Italy in the past 10 years or so, carried a surcharge that (in principle) went to the profit of artists (and let's not make further comments).

Should I feel extorted because I paid a share of Mr. Jovanotti (example of top seller Italian artist) upteenth vintage Gibson when I just can't stand his music?

C

liddas, as an artist I may not totally agree with you but I definately want you on my team. peace

Date: July 26, 2012 19:33

StonesTod
Munichhilton
StonesTod
Munichhilton

i will gladly pay for a cd tomorrow that i stole today....

or more accurately:

didn't I buy that already? give it back you sonuva...and scene

Date: July 26, 2012 19:37

Hey we haven't even brushed on movies.
Those things are available online a whole lot sooner than rental.
We've enjoyed a few at the ranch while they are still in the theatre

Date: July 26, 2012 22:18

andrewt

Did you buy Dirty Work?

Posted by: Braincapers ()
Date: July 26, 2012 22:31

Munichhilton
StonesTod
Munichhilton

Then why did you buy all those things when you could have stolen them? Is an mp3 different from something physical?

Date: July 26, 2012 22:55

Braincapers
Is an mp3 different from something physical?

I have rested my case until I can perform more testing.
In the lab we are currently attempting to pick up, lift, and hold an MP3.

Will report back

Date: July 26, 2012 22:58

Munichhilton
Braincapers

Will report back

please make sure it's no more than 256 kbps! you could be seriously injured or something.

Date: July 26, 2012 23:03

StonesTod
Munichhilton
Braincapers

Will report back

please make sure it's no more than 256 kbps! you could be seriously injured or something.

Noted. Thank you for your concerns and thoughts.
No success yet. Need smaller tweezers

Date: July 26, 2012 23:07

Munichhilton
StonesTod
Munichhilton
Braincapers

Will report back

exi

existential science history right here in our very midst. that's gotta be worth a least a few free downloads....

Date: July 27, 2012 00:12

StonesTod
Munichhilton
StonesTod
Munichhilton
Braincapers

Will report back

exi

existential science history right here in our very midst. that's gotta be worth a least a few free downloads....

I just file all my MP3's in an old 45 sleeve.
You can fit a lot in as they're so small!

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: July 27, 2012 00:21

One may also wonder if the apex of a musician's artistic path is the record or the live show.
I think the latter is. Live perfs are as old as the pyramids while records came in the 20's?

Date: July 27, 2012 00:36

dcba
One may also wonder if the apex of a musician's artistic path is the record or the live show.
I think the latter is. Live perfs are as old as the pyramids while records came in the 20's?

is it okay to download some of those early pyramids shows?

Posted by: andrewt ()
Date: July 27, 2012 00:38

WeLoveToPlayTheBlues
andrewt

Did you buy Dirty Work?

Yes, sadly, the day it came out. I did, however, DL the outtakes, so I call that a wash.

Date: July 27, 2012 00:53

StonesTod
dcba

is it okay to download some of those early pyramids shows?

Do you mean when it was still the $10000 pyramid, or is after they switched to the $25000 pyramid ok?

I don't think it makes much difference in game play.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-07-27 02:06 by treaclefingers.

Goto Page: Previous12345678Next
Current Page: 7 of 8

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1800
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home