Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345678Next
Current Page: 5 of 8
Re: OT: Opinions about sharing/downloading
Posted by: andrewt ()
Date: July 19, 2012 18:14

Another thing to consider is that for most of our history, being a musician was not a career choice, and was rarely rewarded with a lot of material gain. Perhaps the time from the late 50's to the early 00's was merely a blip, an aberration. The whole notion of a music industry is a relatively recent one, and perhaps it's golden age has come and gone. Maybe Promo Rep or Documentary Filmmaker will become a quaint outdated job like Telephone Operator or Bathroom Attendant. Maybe,just maybe, this shock to the business model will have the effect of creating less, but more relevant and creative music, because the posers will be off trying to develop video games or shopping apps.I'm not arguing that this is way things are supposed to be, but it's worth considering that times just change.

Posted by: HighwireC ()
Date: July 19, 2012 18:16

Redhotcarpet
HighwireC
Redhotcarpet
Yes but the coffee is sold, the jar has to be refilled. If I share a song with you the song is still there. There is a possible lack of profit, the possibility that you would have bought a copy of the song.

Are you really talking about sharing a song? No one would blame you when you'll listen to a bought copy of a song (and only that's what you have gotten in the shop, the original songs belongs still to his owner) together with a friend at home.

But if you'll give your friend a selfmade (digital) copy from that song, so he/she can listen to it with his/her friends otherwise, and you still use the song for your own, you'll have problems with the lawyer ...

There is no problem to sell used songs. But to sell or give away some copys from your copy you still own will be against the law, because you down't own the right to copy them: the copyright.

Right?

cool smiley

But if I dont give or sell a copy of the song, just have it on my computer and let others have access to my computer, share my computer and whats on it it's not stealing. I see the copyright problem but I think it's just something that will change because the technology is here and will just get better.

If you play music at public places or open your computer to the world wide web: you are starting to broadcast. So you've to pay to get the rights to do so, as every radiostation has to do it. Otherwise it's piracy and you carry on a pirate radio station.

Some people liked it, the WHO did make a cover from "The Last Time" and it was played by pirate radio stations to support The Rolling Stones and free Mick and Co. from jail.

[www.radiocaroline.co.uk]

Some people like it ... cool smiley,
but it's against the law! eye rolling smiley

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: July 19, 2012 18:43

andrewt
Another thing to consider is that for most of our history, being a musician was not a career choice, and was rarely rewarded with a lot of material gain. Perhaps the time from the late 50's to the early 00's was merely a blip, an aberration. The whole notion of a music industry is a relatively recent one, and perhaps it's golden age has come and gone. Maybe Promo Rep or Documentary Filmmaker will become a quaint outdated job like Telephone Operator or Bathroom Attendant. Maybe,just maybe, this shock to the business model will have the effect of creating less, but more relevant and creative music, because the posers will be off trying to develop video games or shopping apps.I'm not arguing that this is way things are supposed to be, but it's worth considering that times just change.

that's some excellent outside-the-lines thinking. i like.

maybe then, thieves like me will be thanked instead of villified. we're doing a community service here, folks!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-07-19 19:05 by StonesTod.

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: July 19, 2012 19:17

Naturalust
liddas
Naturalust
This pretty much sums it up for me. From The Trichordist - Artists for an Ethical Internet. A provacative read in any case. peace

[thetrichordist.wordpress.com]

Come on, these are cheap arguments that intentionally avoid the true subject of the discussion.

First, because they are based on the assumption that copyright laws, as they are, are the ONLY solution, that there is no other option if you want to save the artist. And the reference to the two friends that shot themselves to support this assumption is very simply bad taste.

Second because they show that the author knows nothing about the so called free culture movement, or, worse, is willingfully misrepresenting their positions. Read this:

[www.free-culture.cc]

its a litte out dated, but still a good read. Once you did, you will see that the free culture movement does not say what Mr Lowery's represents in his letter.

Quite stupid arguments as well. Sure buying a song from the internet is easy as your A B C, provided you have a credit card. How many teenagers have a credit card?

As noted above, free culture is a good thing. One may argue that also to be able to walk on the moon is a good thing, but this is no good reason to allow everybody a free tiket on the next expediton.

Well, the point is that today there are ways to make free culture affordable - both for the people and the atists.

This is the true argument that should be discussed.

To be honest, there is one thing that Mr Lowery says that is true: considering the costs of hardware and connection digital music costs a lot (free or not). To the point that it is cheaper to buy a CD (well, the oldies, at least) rather than the inferior quality mp3 from the internet.

C

liddas, you are obviously not trying to make a living in the music industry. This is the artists best stand and until I see the value put on the efforts of artists that allows them to create for us all, your arguments and discussions of free culture (ie free media) hold little weight.

I'm not sure what you do for a living but imagine that overnight because of some geek engineer's technological advancement, your wages or income were vanished, and your goods or services were being stolen and given away for free.

Law is law, there for a hopefully well debated reason and Copyright law, althought somewhat outdated, is still what has made Keith and Mick what they are today, whatever that is. I am a fan and willing to pay for what I believe in. Taking it for free in the name of free culture just doesn't sit right with me. peace

THANK YOU

That's exactly it. If you put a song on any device of yours that you didn't pay for, you are a thief. Plain and simple. You are also costing people their jobs in the music and publishing industry. I've read post after post here of absolute FOOLS feeling justified for whatever reason, or calling it "sharing".

Making recordings is NOT FREE.
Promoting new music is NOT FREE.
Getting into radio rotation is NOT FREE.
Why are YOU so special that you should take something that isn't yours FOR FREE?
Why is it okay to participate in an activity that has ALREADY cost the music industry countless jobs????

You morons who feel this way, I hope karma bites you all on the ass. Hard. May your financial portfolios take a huge hit. May you not be able to retire comfortably. May you not be able to take care of your loved ones.

[thepowergoats.com]

Date: July 19, 2012 19:22

jamesfdouglas
Naturalust
liddas
Naturalust
This pretty much sums it up for me. From The Trichordist - Artists for an Ethical Internet. A provacative read in any case. peace

Come on, these are cheap arguments that intentionally avoid the true subject of the discussion.

First, because they are based on the assumption that copyright laws, as they are, are the ONLY solution, that there is no other option if you want to save the artist. And the reference to the two friends that shot themselves to support this assumption is very simply bad taste.

Second because they show that the author knows nothing about the so called free culture movement, or, worse, is willingfully misrepresenting their positions. Read this:

[www.free-culture.cc]

its a litte out dated, but still a good read. Once you did, you will see that the free culture movement does not say what Mr Lowery's represents in his letter.

Quite stupid arguments as well. Sure buying a song from the internet is easy as your A B C, provided you have a credit card. How many teenagers have a credit card?

As noted above, free culture is a good thing. One may argue that also to be able to walk on the moon is a good thing, but this is no good reason to allow everybody a free tiket on the next expediton.

Well, the point is that today there are ways to make free culture affordable - both for the people and the atists.

To be honest, there is one thing that Mr Lowery says that is true: considering the costs of hardware and connection digital music costs a lot (free or not). To the point that it is cheaper to buy a CD (well, the oldies, at least) rather than the inferior quality mp3 from the internet.

C

liddas, you are obviously not trying to make a living in the music industry. This is the artists best stand and until I see the value put on the efforts of artists that allows them to create for us all, your arguments and discussions of free culture (ie free media) hold little weight.

I'm not sure what you do for a living but imagine that overnight because of some geek engineer's technological advancement, your wages or income were vanished, and your goods or services were being stolen and given away for free.

Law is law, there for a hopefully well debated reason and Copyright law, althought somewhat outdated, is still what has made Keith and Mick what they are today, whatever that is. I am a fan and willing to pay for what I believe in. Taking it for free in the name of free culture just doesn't sit right with me. peace

THANK YOU

That's exactly it. If you put a song on any device of yours that you didn't pay for, you are a thief. Plain and simple. You are also costing people their jobs in the music and publishing industry. I've read post after post here of absolute FOOLS feeling justified for whatever reason, or calling it "sharing".

Why are YOU so special that you should take something that isn't yours FOR FREE?
Why is it okay to participate in an activity that has ALREADY cost the music industry countless jobs????

You morons who feel this way, I hope karma bites you all on the ass. Hard. May your financial portfolios take a huge hit. May you not be able to retire comfortably. May you not be able to take care of your loved ones.

can i still have a beer once in ahwile?

Date: July 19, 2012 19:25

StonesTod
jamesfdouglas
Naturalust
liddas
Naturalust

[www.free-culture.cc]

C

THANK YOU

can i still have a beer once in ahwile?

[thepowergoats.com]

Posted by: camper88 ()
Date: July 19, 2012 19:49

I can't help but feel there's a nice irony here: Rockman copied (did not steal) the article on how free stuff is ruining everything.
Thank goodness for free stuff to help me realize how bad free stuff is.

Rockman

Posted by: camper88 ()
Date: July 19, 2012 20:00

jamesfdouglas

THANK YOU

JFD,

Do you recognize no distinction between theft and copyright infringement? They are significantly different concepts and you continue to confuse or conflate one with the other.
Help me out by taking the following quiz:

1. I visit the Louvre and take a picture of the Mona Lisa, that make me . . .
A) a thief B ) A copyright infringer, or C) an Art Lover

2. I post a copy of the cover of an album on my website [www.iorr.org]
and that makes me
A) a thief B ) A copyright infringer, or C) a Stones lover

3. I cut and paste or post a copy of an article from a magazine to make my point in an argument, that makes me . . .
A) a thief B ) A copyright infringer, or C) The one, the only, Rockman!!!

By the way, calling folks morons . . . probably not going to help your case.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-07-19 20:01 by camper88.

Date: July 19, 2012 20:05

camper88

You're right. freetard is a much netter word.

[thepowergoats.com]

Date: July 19, 2012 20:09

camper88
jamesfdouglas

THANK YOU

JFD,

Do you recognize no distinction between theft and copyright infringement? They are significantly different concepts and you continue to confuse or conflate one with the other.
Help me out by taking the following quiz:

1. I visit the Louvre and take a picture of the Mona Lisa, that make me . . .
A) a thief B ) A copyright infringer, or C) an Art Lover

2. I post a copy of the cover of an album on my website [www.iorr.org]
and that makes me
A) a thief B ) A copyright infringer, or C) a Stones lover

3. I cut and paste or post a copy of an article from a magazine to make my point in an argument, that makes me . . .
A) a thief B ) A copyright infringer, or C) The one, the only, Rockman!!!

Is it allowed now to take pictures (repros) in the Louvre ...? I think, you still have to buy them in stores, as ever, only simple fotos without flash etc are allowed sometimes ...

So are the answers to all your other questions here.

But not all copyright infringer will be cought, but you should ever be prepared. And don't trust the pirates ... cool smiley

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2012-07-19 20:21 by HighwireC.

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: July 19, 2012 20:50

jamesfdouglas

It is exhausting to discuss with people with the brain of a Goat (no matter how powerful) ...

In short, you don't have a clue

C

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: July 19, 2012 20:55

jamesfdouglas
Naturalust
liddas
Naturalust

[www.free-culture.cc]

C

THANK YOU

Interesting point which I disagree on of course. A bit OT but in Sweden we have painters, writers or designers who receive a guaranteed income, an appartment in the city and/or even a house. They moan because the times theyre a changing and Swedes dont want to pay the 120 chosen ones full salary (260 000 SEK) anymore. In no way is the creativity harmed if we dont pay these artists that salary and in no way are people less creative because of new techonolgy. I think it's quite the opposite. More people can make music now. More ways to sell music and sideproducts. More oppurtunities to develop software for music. More ways to expand your career.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: July 19, 2012 22:56

oh well, Rock music is dead anyway, time to throw away the instruments and go to work for some big Pharmeceutical company so I can help kill the rest of you. NOT Maybe I'll just emmigrate to Sweden or Holland where so many people live on social services and the efforts of others. Oh wait, I can do that here in the USA too. I better start hiding my guitars or they will never believe me. peace

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-07-19 23:04 by Naturalust.

Posted by: Whale ()
Date: July 19, 2012 23:53

The "you morons" of jamesfdouglas says it all.
I hate the music industry. For years they charged way too much.
And the music industry hates their customers: they are the "morons" according to the music industry. Giving them tough love whenever they feel like it. Suing people who link to content. Releasing stuff with only one or two new songs is still massively popular. Not releasing what people want to hear. And so on, and so forth.
I buy records still. But, whenever possible I do it at the concert, so that the maximum goes to the artist. Or better, buy a tshirt, and download the record. Then I think more money goes to the artist.

Date: July 19, 2012 23:56

Whale
And the music industry hates their customers: they are the "morons" according to the music industry. Giving them tough love whenever they feel like it. Suing people who link to content. Releasing stuff with only one or two new songs is still massively popular. Not releasing what people want to hear. And so on, and so forth.

i was still buying cds...but after reading this, i'm really upset now...it's full-on free illegal downloading henceforth! screw the bastids!!!!!!

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: July 20, 2012 00:57

StonesTod
Whale

i was still buying cds...but after reading this, i'm really upset now...it's full-on free illegal downloading henceforth! screw the bastids!!!!!!

Me too! WAIT! Where the F are you buying your CDs? I can't even find them in stores anymore.

Even in HMV, the 'plush'/rock mugs/poster section is bigger than the CD section!

Date: July 20, 2012 01:05

treaclefingers
StonesTod
Whale

Me too! WAIT! Where the F are you buying your CDs? I can't even find them in stores anymore.

the black market, of course...

Posted by: Lorenz ()
Date: July 20, 2012 01:07

liddas
jamesfdouglas

It is exhausting to discuss with people with the brain of a Goat (no matter how powerful) ...

C

It's exhausting and also pointless at a certain point. Unfortunately, posting at a Stones forum doesn't tell much about the intelligence of people - I wish it did.

Posted by: andrewt ()
Date: July 20, 2012 01:11

jamesfdouglas

>>technology makes jobs redundant or obsolete all the time. I work for a television network and the same thing goes on with us too. My advice: Stop being reactionary and start being CREATIVE!!! The Marketing and Promo old boys club can't grasp how to engage people with music anymore. You can't make them care, you have to make something that people want to care about and clearly the industry is failing at that. The sales figures prove it. Make it EASY for people to get what what they want at a reasonable cost, make customer service a priority, make everything a la carte, forget the old models, they're done and they ain't coming back. Create something NEW.

Try this blog out-the guy's no oracle, but a least he's a music business insider trying to figure it out instead of wishing it was still 1989.

[lefsetz.com]

Date: July 20, 2012 01:20

Lorenz
liddas
jamesfdouglas

C

It's exhausting and also pointless at a certain point. Unfortunately, posting at a Stones forum doesn't tell much about the intelligence of people - I wish it did.

it's best to take your daily dumb-down pill before entering iorr. take two, in fact, and everyone here seems really, really intelligent.

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: July 20, 2012 01:21

StonesTod
Lorenz
liddas
jamesfdouglas

C

it's best to take your daily dumb-down pill before entering iorr. take two, in fact, and everyone here seems really, really intelligent.

Shut Up....Yer jist Stoopid

Date: July 20, 2012 01:22

Munichhilton
StonesTod
Lorenz
liddas
jamesfdouglas

C

Shut Up....Yer jist Stoopid

it's spelled STEWPIT, eejit....

Date: July 20, 2012 03:26

StonesTod
treaclefingers
StonesTod
Whale

the black market, of course...

Sorry, I've just never been that into hip hop.

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: July 20, 2012 03:33

Date: July 20, 2012 04:18

Max'sKansasCity
[instantrimshot.com]

thank you max. recognition is always appreciated.

eRe: OT: Opinions about sharing/downloading
Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: July 20, 2012 12:02

All kinds of interesting questions here. Are we on our way back to the situation as it was in around 1910? (Recordings of music were just a way for manufacturers to promote and sell their new gramophone hardware, and most reputable or famous musicians didn't bother making them, because their living came from live performance.) If that is the direction we are headed in, then we can look forward to ever more expensive concert tickets, because the full live experience is the one remaining thing that can't be duplicated and distributed free (the "Mona Lisa" which no cheap print or postcard can really reproduce - and originals are expensive.)

Of course this also means that artists are stuck with endless live performance - who can afford to spend months in the studio making Sergeant Pepper, if it's only to be given away free, and can't be duplicated on stage anyway? And when you get too old to play live, there won't be any royalties to support you in your old age. But that's how things used to be for musicians in the days before copyright, so maybe that's how they will be again.

Is free downloading "the new radio" as liddas suggests? Certainly the days are gone when teenagers needed to save precious pocket money to get their own copy of a song, and therefore had to be choosy about what they bought, and get their money's worth by playing it over and over to themselves and their friends. If your hardware can store thousands of songs, you've effectively got a personal radio station without the inconvenience of annoying DJs, advertising, or the possibility of ever hearing a song you don't like, or something new or unfamiliar. And if that content can be downloaded free you don't need to bother much about being choosy. Just throw the song away when you get tired of it. But eventually, where is new content to come from if there's no money to be made from creating it?

Of course technology changes, and the genie can't be put back in the bottle. Recorded music killed the sheet-music industry and made the family parlour piano obsolete (together with many piano tuners and piano teachers). Live music on the radio put local dance bands out of work. Recorded music on the radio destroyed the jobs of big-band musicians. And so on.

(oops - tail end of post missing due to technical hiccup. Here it is)

The upside of this is the enormouse increase in availability. When I were a young lass it was unbelievable that you could watch a TV programme you'd missed, or ever see a film again once its run in the cinema was over. The YouTube time machine is wonderful, and I'd hate to see it lost to the copyright police.

I understand the technical difference between theft and copyright violation. Nevertheless, when copyright material is routinely taken for free, something is being stolen from someone, and eventually, if it stops being financially rewarding to create a wonderful recording or a blockbuster movie, it won't get done, and we will all be the poorer.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-07-20 12:33 by Green Lady.

Re: eRe: OT: Opinions about sharing/downloading
Date: July 20, 2012 14:25

Green Lady
I understand the technical difference between theft and copyright violation. Nevertheless, when copyright material is routinely taken for free, something is being stolen from someone, and eventually, if it stops being financially rewarding to create a wonderful recording or a blockbuster movie, it won't get done, and we will all be the poorer.

so it's only theft if it's routine.

now we know.

Posted by: tomcasagranda ()
Date: July 20, 2012 14:32

I'd love CDs of the official bootlegs on Stonesarchive.

Ok, so I've ripped them to ITUNES, and then burnt them to disc, but CDs, with nice liner notes, would be just the thing.

Date: July 20, 2012 14:46

tomcasagranda
I'd love CDs of the official bootlegs on Stonesarchive.

Ok, so I've ripped them to ITUNES, and then burnt them to disc, but CDs, with nice liner notes, would be just the thing.

CDs?? DVDs ??? Autopianos??? Book Organs???
There will be no new products on such hardware in the very near future because of so many downloads and clouds, legal or illegal.

Stones are going to sell books, cups and t-shirts instead, now ....

cool smiley

Re: eRe: OT: Opinions about sharing/downloading
Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: July 20, 2012 15:12

StonesTod
Green Lady

so it's only theft if it's routine.

now we know.

It only makes enough difference in practical financial terms if it's routine. One basketful of shoplifting (though illegal) won't bankrupt the supermarket, but if everyone is walking out all day with trolleys full and driving away free vanloads, sooner or later it's not worth staying in business.

Goto Page: Previous12345678Next
Current Page: 5 of 8

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1779
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home