Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...345678910111213Next
Current Page: 9 of 13
Re: Tokyo Dome show on Google Music
Posted by: strettonbull ()
Date: July 12, 2012 10:31

tomcasagranda
I downloaded at 10:58 Hrs this morning - not a bother, and I live in Reading, Berkshire.

The only bother I had was getting up too early to watch/blink the Olympic torch.

Ahhh Reading - my home town and home of the greatest football club.

No problem with the download in Shropshire.

Date: July 12, 2012 11:07

Bobby Keys saxophone solo on Miss You should be framed in!

A great show, even though it starts out a bit ragged for the first two or three numbers or so.

Midnight Rambler is ace. So is Almost Hear You Sigh.

Listen to Keith´s spanish licks on Rock And A Hard Place. Might be the best solo guitar ever from him, imo.

Date: July 12, 2012 11:47

Erik_Snow
Doxa

But anyway, I have started lately to approciate the whole 1989/90 project a bit more. No, it will never satisfy my own aesthetic taste (they even looked terrible, espceially Mick's hair cut and forced pseudo-michaeljackson-movements), but I respect the drive to update the sound and to learn new tricks. The whole new "professionalism". It was their biggest since musical reinvention since 1969. Well, in order to rebuild the building, they needed to burn the old house down, I think they lost (for good) in the process something essential I love so much in their sound (and I never can love the new sound as I loved the old one). But like said, I appreciate the effort of re-inventing their act.

Good point, and I agree with you. As you say, their most drastic change since 1969. But they threw out the baby with the washing water. Some things might have needed to be change but they lost the spontaneity and the life of their live performances after this big change in delivering the music and the controlled "leadership" each and everyone had in each place of each song - and the safe forumla each song was builded up on.....it wasn't up to the guitarists to get a "drive" - something which gave them a kick when they succeeded in doing....in the 1969-1982 era, I mean

But in 1989/1990 we didn't know better, and thought that this new direction was something that could lift the last part of their career to something even better.
At least a lot of people and journalists thought so.

The only 89/90 songs I can listen to now, after 1993, is the songs that suit the "new" treatment, like Ruby Tuesday, Almost Hear You Sigh and Harlem Shuffle. Not many others, and surely not the "60s/70s rockers", like Brown Sugar, Happy, IORR etc etc. They just sound so forced and unreal.

Factory Girl, Play With Fire, Paint It Black, Terrifying, Mixed Emotions and Midnight Rambler need to be mentioned here, imo.

Posted by: mabo ()
Date: July 12, 2012 15:44

Doxa
Gazza
Tokyo 26.2.90 is the best show of that entire tour and one of their best latter day stadium concerts.

That's great to hear. The track listing looks great, including five numbers from STEEL WHEELS.

It also needs to say that it isn't the fault of 1989/90's tour's shows that they turned out to be the concept of all their latter days tours and shows, and a kind of prototype of 'Vegas' era. In 1989/90 they really were fresh and 'innovative' (Jagger's term) with the formula. Actually judging now -many tours 'wiser' - they were incredibly vital and working hard then to update their sound.

And yes, they still had THE bass player there...

- Doxa

Yes! In those days this was the ultimative Stones-Tour ever. Every tour had a different character to this point of their career. After that, they always retuned to that concept! And it was the point, when innovation left the band more and more ...
"Voodoo L." + "Bridges" were quiet boring!
And touring was quiet always the same style of show.
Sad but true!
But I will always love them!

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: July 12, 2012 15:54

was spinning some of the show in the car on the way in this morning. a reminder that slickness and the stones don't mix....but it is nice, albeit wistful, to hear wyman laying it down...listening to harlem shuffle, for instance...man, the stones were never the same after he left...a bigger cog in the machine than is generally regarded

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: July 12, 2012 16:19

Big disappointment for me : the sound isn 't that good for an official release. It's as if they took the old "Steel Wheels Tokyo 1990" (VGP-080) boot and put it online.
The mix is off and messy (the guitars are undermixed) and the overall sound is muddy. Add some treble to the music (16K for you nerds) and you'll see the difference.

As for the music... well I found the VGP boot boring and lifeless when I got it some 15 years ago, and I haven't changed my mind.

Maybe the 89-90 shows are to be seen not heard, alas...

Date: July 12, 2012 16:25

dcba
Big disappointment for me : the sound isn 't that good for an official release. It's as if they took the old "Steel Wheels Tokyo 1990" (VGP-080) boot and put it online.
The mix is off and messy (the guitars are undermixed) and the overall sound is muddy. Add some treble to the music (16K for you nerds) and you'll see the difference.

As for the music... well I found the VGP boot boring and lifeless when I got it some 15 years ago, and I haven't changed my mind.

no doubt most of us who saw them then were excited just that they were back at all. hindsight and reflection have afforded the opportunity to evaluate on a more even keel. don't you hate it when that happens?

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: July 12, 2012 16:52

And that I get. The thrill of seeing them again, a new record, back on the road, old 60s songs on the list! I liked that at the time but I never liked the way they sounded. It was the thrill of the Second coming and a feeling that the Stones finally got the recognition they deserved even attracting yuppies and brats at the time. In your face, told you they were the greatest is what I felt back then.

Date: July 12, 2012 16:56

Redhotcarpet
And that I get.

glad to have your aboard, then. we shall rail against any upcoming vegas fare with might and fury.

Posted by: marcovandereijk ()
Date: July 12, 2012 17:06

So, Mick is good, Keith is good, Bill is good, Charlie, of course, is good and Ronnie
is good.
The songs are good (how could they not be, it's The Stones).

So we are able to hear the greatest Rock 'n Roll Band working hard and putting off a great show!

But to be honest, there are too many cooks around the band.

And, I, too, have problems hearing the benefits of whatever has been done to the mix and the
sound. Been fingering my equilizer for ages to get some decent rock out of it.

Just as long as the guitar plays, let it steal your heart away

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: July 12, 2012 17:20

marcovandereijk
So, Mick is good, Keith is good, Bill is good, Charlie, of course, is good and Ronnie is good.

The songs are good (how could they not be, it's The Stones).

Your reasoning is sound but I believe he goes by Ronnie B. Goode

Posted by: iggy.pop ()
Date: July 12, 2012 17:52

sweetcharmedlife
Rolling Hansie
They did 10 shows at the Tokyo Dome. Anyone knows which show(s) will be on this release ?
I believe it's from the 9th show Hansie.

Acoording to rs.com, it's from 26th February 1990. So sweetcharmedlife, you are right.

Posted by: marcovandereijk ()
Date: July 12, 2012 17:58

A word about Midnight Rambler: it might take some time to get used to the piano work
by Chuck on this song, because we are used to the guitar fest, we've been treated with
in earlier shows, BUT, I am charmed quite a bit by the boogie Chuck is pulling out of his
hat here. Close your eyes and you have the feeling the good old Stu is looking over
Chucks shoulder.

(I never dreamed I'd write this).

Just as long as the guitar plays, let it steal your heart away

Date: July 12, 2012 17:59

marcovandereijk
A word about Midnight Rambler: it might take some time to get used to the piano work
by Chuck on this song, because we are used to the guitar fest, we've been treated with
in earlier shows, BUT, I am charmed quite a bit by the boogie Chuck is pulling out of his
hat here. Close your eyes and you have the feeling the good old Stu is looking over
Chucks shoulder.

you're in my will, now.

Posted by: kowalski ()
Date: July 12, 2012 18:02

dcba

Like every album of this bootleg series, music is way too compressed, with no dynamics left at all, which results in a flat and dull sound. Again the band sounds like they were playing in a cave or something like this.

The concert is really good though. Full of energy. And after a couple of listenings I enjoy it already more than Hampton or LA Friday. Brussels remain the best so far though.

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: July 12, 2012 18:43

Ah YES!! The great comeback for The Stones. Better and stronger!!

Posted by: Keessie ()
Date: July 12, 2012 19:03

Where are the guys from the last three times with the great artwork for this release ? hot smiley
Post it please

Ray

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-07-12 19:04 by Keessie.

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: July 12, 2012 19:09

StonesTod
marcovandereijk
Chucks shoulder.

you're in my will, now.

Stretchin' that will to its breakin' point by now aren't you?

Date: July 12, 2012 19:11

More Hot Rocks
Ah YES!! The great comeback for The Stones. Better and stronger!!

don't you recall your reincarnation/rehabilitation? you love the 78-81 act. please put a notetag reminder on your laptop until no longer needed.

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: July 12, 2012 19:42

StonesTod
Redhotcarpet
And that I get.

glad to have your aboard, then. we shall rail against any upcoming vegas fare with might and fury.

cool smiley

No more Vegas please, I want TORONTO 1977!!

Date: July 12, 2012 19:52

Redhotcarpet
StonesTod
Redhotcarpet
And that I get.

cool smiley

No more Vegas please, I want TORONTO 1977!!

can you make, say 3 dozen t-shirts, and i'll make sure bv distributes them to the true stones fans?

Posted by: RobertJohnson ()
Date: July 12, 2012 20:03

Great disappointment, muddy sound, Ronnie too low in the mix, thin guitars, far worse than e.g. the Wembley concert (Seventh of July). Overall here we have the Rolling Stones Big Brass Band rehearsing some Stones titles ... the definitive low point of the official boot series; please, no more boots from the Big Band era.

Date: July 12, 2012 20:34

RobertJohnson
Great disappointment, muddy sound, Ronnie too low in the mix, thin guitars, far worse than e.g. the Wembley concert (Seventh of July). Overall here we have the Rolling Stones Big Brass Band rehearsing some Stones titles ... the definitive low point of the official boot series; please, no more boots from the Big Band era.

Don´t let a few songs with brass color your opinion.

There are no brass on SMU, Midnight Rambler, Ruby Tuesday, Almost Hear You Sigh etc.

Great show, although the guitars could have been mixed a bit more powerful. I´m not so sure Bob Clearmountain is doing any mixing at all - seemingly only mastering...

Posted by: R ()
Date: July 12, 2012 21:25

Anybody else having trouble downloading TOKYO DOME from Google? I keep getting a dialog box saying there was an "error" and to try again later.

Posted by: RobertJohnson ()
Date: July 12, 2012 22:32

DandelionPowderman
RobertJohnson

There are no brass on SMU, Midnight Rambler, Ruby Tuesday, Almost Hear You Sigh etc.

Great show, although the guitars could have been mixed a bit more powerful. I´m not so sure Bob Clearmountain is doing any mixing at all - seemingly only mastering...

I think you're right, no new mix, it's the mastered radio programming with a shade of muddiness, it's a shame.

Posted by: midimannz ()
Date: July 12, 2012 22:42

i agree - and it's too bad , I REALLY WANTED to like it - maybe the "Little Boy Blue" tapes would be better for this time of the year .........

Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: July 12, 2012 22:44

midimannz
i agree - and it's too bad , I REALLY WANTED to like it - maybe the "Little Boy Blue" tapes would be better for this time of the year .........

Checkerboard Lounge is a good alternative...

Posted by: Justin ()
Date: July 12, 2012 22:47

I'm halfway through it and it's alright. Nothing that kicked my ass like any of the last three. A better mix would have totally helped this recording--completely.

Date: July 12, 2012 22:48

RobertJohnson
DandelionPowderman
RobertJohnson

I think you're right, no new mix, it's the mastered radio programming with a shade of muddiness, it's a shame.

No, it´s way better quality than a radio airing.

If Clearmountain indeed mixed this, he would certainly have turned Keith´s back up-vocals on Mixed Emotion way, way down in the mixed smiling smiley

Posted by: britstones ()
Date: July 12, 2012 23:01

Re: Tokyo Dome show on Google Music Posted by: R ()
Date: July 12, 2012 21:25

Anybody else having trouble downloading TOKYO DOME from Google? I keep getting a dialog box saying there was an "error" and to try again later.

I had to re-download and install the java download program. The link should be somwhere close on the Stones Archive download page. Download link worked as soon as it installed.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...345678910111213Next
Current Page: 9 of 13

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1959
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home