Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: The Rolling Stones - Between The Buttons
Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: June 27, 2012 20:38

BTB and TSMR are the Stones Revolver and Pepper. Unfortunately the Stones could not fly as high during the BTB period, pop wise, as the Beatles. Exceptions being Have You Seen Your Mother, Ruby Tuesday, Back Street Girl, She Smiled Sweetly, and Let's Spend the Night Together. A song like Miss Amanda Jones sounds out of place and out of time, more like a B side from an earlier era.

BTB would have worked much better with the great singles of the time included on it, like Ruby/Mother/Night Together, pushing aside weaker stuff like All Sold Out and Please Go Home. Those singles would also have made the album stronger thematically.

Same goes for Satanic. We Love You and Dandelion could have pushed out nonsense like Gomper and 2000 Man.

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: June 27, 2012 20:53

Great record with lots of good tunes - no masterpiece though.

WENNER: Then you did “Between the Buttons.” What do you think of that album?
JAGGER: Frank Zappa used to say he really liked it. It’s a good record, but it was unfortunately rather spoiled. We recorded it in London on four-track machines. We bounced it back to do overdubs so many times, we lost the sound of a lot of it.
WENNER: Does that record mean a lot to you?
JAGGER: No. What’s on it?
WENNER: “Connection.”
JAGGER: It’s nice. “Connection” is really nice.
WENNER: “Yesterday’s Papers.”
JAGGER: Yeah, the first song I ever wrote completely on my own for a Rolling Stones record. “My Obsession,” that’s a good one. They sounded so great, but then, later on, I was really disappointed with it. Isn’t “Ruby Tuesday” on there or something? I don’t think the rest of the songs are that brilliant. “Ruby Tuesday” is good. I think that’s a wonderful song.
WENNER: Why?
JAGGER: It’s just a nice melody, really. And a lovely lyric. Neither of which I wrote, but I always enjoy singing it. But I agree with you about the rest of the songs – I don’t think they’re there. I don’t think I thought they were very good at the time, either.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: June 27, 2012 21:31

Frank Zappa liked the US version...

3. Between The Buttons: The Rolling Stones. The American release – I don't like the English version so much because it contains a totally different set of tunes. I understand that they don't like the album very much but I thought that it was an important piece of social comment at the time. I remember seeing Brian Jones very drunk in the Speakeasy one night and telling him I liked it and thought it superior to Sergeant Pepper ... whereupon he belched discreetly and turned around.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: June 27, 2012 21:40

24FPS
BTB and TSMR are the Stones Revolver and Pepper. Unfortunately the Stones could not fly as high during the BTB period, pop wise, as the Beatles. Exceptions being Have You Seen Your Mother, Ruby Tuesday, Back Street Girl, She Smiled Sweetly, and Let's Spend the Night Together. A song like Miss Amanda Jones sounds out of place and out of time, more like a B side from an earlier era.

BTB would have worked much better with the great singles of the time included on it, like Ruby/Mother/Night Together, pushing aside weaker stuff like All Sold Out and Please Go Home. Those singles would also have made the album stronger thematically.

Same goes for Satanic. We Love You and Dandelion could have pushed out nonsense like Gomper and 2000 Man.

I think you could say that for all the 60's albums (Paint it Black on UK Aftermanth, JJF on Beggar's, and HTW on LIB as examples).

With that said, I actually like the songs you've selected to be removed from BtB and TSMR. As the Beatles were a 'pop' band, they had an easier time up until 1968. I think at that point the Stones came more fully into their own sound.

Date: June 27, 2012 22:44

Partial gear list:

Gibson Les Paul Custom
Gibson Firebird
Gibson Hummingbird
Vox Wyman Bass
Fender Precision Bass
Guild 12 string acoustic

Vox Bijou electric dulicmer
Aulos treble recorder

Vox AC100
Vox UL-760
Vox UL-460
Fender Showman
Futurama Corvette

Maestro FZ-1 Fuzz-Tone

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-03-22 02:48 by His Majesty.

Date: June 27, 2012 22:47

cool smiley

Posted by: marvpeck ()
Date: June 28, 2012 00:32

I always like to talk about Between the Buttons.
Heck, I even dig the picture on the front.
I think that out of focus pic looks great.

It sets a nice mood.
Someone once said this is the Charlie Watts solo LP.
Perhaps a bit over-stated but Charlie does manage to get
it quite a few great fills.

I suppose you can call it pop but remember this was 66.
Sometimes it's difficult to remember what was happening in 66
based on so much that came after that.

Spend the night together is just a great song IMO.
The lyric alone was shocking for the time.
It's got a great riff. And the song builds,
doesn't just sit there.

Ruby Tuesday showed once again that the Stones were not
just a rock or blues band. They could really pull of
a ballad...and the recorder? Just brilliant. don't remember

too many other songs with recorder parts.

I could list other songs but I thought they were all
pretty good. Ms Amanda Jones is probably my favorite
of the unknown songs on this LP. that guitar part rocks
with all the fuzz and Charlie bustin in...It works for me!

HM, thanks for posting those instrumental only tracks.
You can really hear the instruments and that's great.

Then of course, you can play it again and this time
supply your own vocal!

Marv

Marv Peck

Y'all remember that rubber legged boy

Re: * 50 years of The Rolling Stones - 1966 - Between The Buttons *
Posted by: Come On ()
Date: June 28, 2012 09:05

I was totally into this album (UK) and thought it was way better than both Hendrix debut and fab fours Sgt Pepper....thumbs upthumbs upthumbs upthumbs upthumbs up

2 1 2 0

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: June 28, 2012 12:59

Great, I finally learnt that a recorder is not a fancy keyboard from the 60s but it actually is the flauto dolce I was forced to play at school!

I just bought one for my daughter: as soon as I get home I will try to play Ruby Tuesday ... poor neighbors ...

C

Date: June 28, 2012 13:18

His Majesty
Frank Zappa liked the US version...

3. Between The Buttons: The Rolling Stones. The American release – I don't like the English version so much because it contains a totally different set of tunes. I understand that they don't like the album very much but I thought that it was an important piece of social comment at the time. I remember seeing Brian Jones very drunk in the Speakeasy one night and telling him I liked it and thought it superior to Sergeant Pepper ... whereupon he belched discreetly and turned around.

thumbs up

Date: June 28, 2012 13:26

His Majesty

cool smiley

When listening to the instrumental version, my guess would be that it is indeed Brian playing the piano on RT.

As a player for many years myself, I can tell that it is an "amateur" playing, both because of the dynamics and the technique.

Still, it's effin' beautiful and sooo effective. Fantastic track. Thanks for posting thumbs up

Date: June 28, 2012 13:32

I chop and change my mind, but yeah, all things conisdered, I think it most likely is Brian playing piano on Ruby Tuesday.

Regardless of who played and/or wrote anything, it's such a pure, beautiful, special song and recording!

Date: June 28, 2012 13:35

Buttons was my first Stones album. So it is special for me. But in Stones cannon I think it is unique. With "Satanic" the least R&B Stones album.
Great writing, lyrics and music. Ambitious in the production; almost hand in hand w/ Beatles where the studios were not able to keep up with the rapid growth in imagination by the musicians.
And - big difference in UK vs US version. once again the US label missed the identity of the album by altering track selection.
The 'real Buttons is

Yesterday's Papers (love the outtake w/o vocals)
My Obsession
Back Street Girl
Connection
She Smiled Sweetly
Cool Calm Collected

All Sold Out
Please Go Home
Who's Been Sleeping Here?
Complicated
Miss Amanda Jones
Something Happened To Me Yesterday

Posted by: GetYerAngie ()
Date: June 28, 2012 13:38

24FPS

TSMR is obviously Stones' Pepper. But I'm not so sure that BTB is their Revolver, to me BTB sounds more like Stones doing a Kinks album. It's an o.k. album, but forced and with no standout tracks (the british version), except for the charming Something happened to me yesterday (a Kinksy vaudeville). In that respect it is weaker than TSMR, which contained magnificent tracks like 2000 light years from home (which Bowie must have heard quite a lot) and She's a rainbow and a couple more. The american version of BTB contains the singles and that really improves it. But it's still mainly the stones as kinks-bes.

Posted by: marcovandereijk ()
Date: June 28, 2012 13:42

Just as long as the guitar plays, let it steal your heart away

Date: June 28, 2012 13:45

GetYerAngie
24FPS

TSMR is obviously Stones' Pepper. But I'm not so sure that BTB is their Revolver, to me BTB sounds more like Stones doing a Kinks album. It's an o.k. album, but forced and with no standout tracks (the british version), except for the charming Something happened to me yesterday (a Kinksy vaudeville). In that respect it is weaker than TSMR, which contained magnificent tracks like 2000 light years from home (which Bowie must have heard quite a lot) and She's a rainbow and a couple more. The american version of BTB contains the singles and that really improves it. But it's still mainly the stones as kinks-bes.

Back Street Girl IS a standout track, so is Connection, and imo All Sold Out, too.

I agree about the album being a bit uneven. Apart from Kinks, I find some of the tracks very Beatles-esque, much in the same vein as some of the "humouristic stuff" they recorded.

The production, however, is a very brave and different effort. At times it works greatly, but imo some of the songs are close to unlistenable.

Date: June 28, 2012 13:54

marcovandereijk

Wow, great to see it in such good quality! smileys with beer

In the footage they are probably working on Yesterday's Papers.

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: June 28, 2012 22:44

This needs to be here:

Date: June 29, 2012 00:04

I like the album but to me it's the least Stones sounding LP of all their albums (note to Gazza: whatever that means). Maybe not until DIRTY WORK anyway.

It certainly is one of the odd ones out of the entire catalogue (along with TSMR and DW). No matter. That's partially what makes it a nice album - it IS different.

Posted by: vancouver ()
Date: June 29, 2012 00:12

i'm still confused about ruby tuesday ???(two different versions or ??

i really like this album ! a good follower to aftermath...

Date: June 29, 2012 00:16

vancouver
i'm still confused about ruby tuesday ???(two different versions or ??

watcha mean?

Posted by: vancouver ()
Date: June 29, 2012 08:17

i was thinking of remix of it the 2002 remaster ?

Posted by: tonterapi ()
Date: June 29, 2012 10:23

I had to listen to BTB a couple of times before liking it actually. It's almost more "Kinks" than Stones in some ways and also shows how versatile they were as song writers/arrangers back in the day. To me BTB and TSMR is far more interesting to listen to than anything they recorded after 69.

...and of course it's Brian on piano on Ruby Tueday. Otherwise he wouldn't have played the part in that clip from italian TV.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-06-29 10:24 by tonterapi.

Date: June 29, 2012 11:07

tonterapi
I had to listen to BTB a couple of times before liking it actually. It's almost more "Kinks" than Stones in some ways and also shows how versatile they were as song writers/arrangers back in the day. To me BTB and TSMR is far more interesting to listen to than anything they recorded after 69.

...and of course it's Brian on piano on Ruby Tueday. Otherwise he wouldn't have played the part in that clip from italian TV.

?? If Keith had played that simple piano part on italian tv, it had to be him on the album as well?

Date: June 29, 2012 13:20

vancouver
i was thinking of remix of it the 2002 remaster ?

It's just minus a Jagger vocal overdub in chorus's I think.

Date: June 29, 2012 13:21

DandelionPowderman
tonterapi

?? If Keith had played that simple piano part on italian tv, it had to be him on the album as well?

If... but, he didn't. tongue sticking out smiley

Date: June 29, 2012 13:28

His Majesty
DandelionPowderman
tonterapi

No, but it's not a very reliable proof that Brian did, either smiling smiley

Date: June 29, 2012 13:40

DandelionPowderman
His Majesty
DandelionPowderman
tonterapi

No it's not, but it certainly, in addition to some other stuff like him being credited in 40 licks, makes it seem more likely that it was him. He was a proud fella, he's probably trying to make a point by playing it. smiling smiley

ALO can't remember who played it. Keith just doesn't mention who played it, but did so for Let's Spend The Night Together, had Jack also played on Ruby Tuesday I think Keith would mention it. Brian is credited with piano in Rolling With The Stones.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-06-29 13:48 by His Majesty.

Date: June 29, 2012 13:47

His Majesty
DandelionPowderman
His Majesty
DandelionPowderman
tonterapi

No it's not, but it certainly, in addition to some other stuff like him being credited in 40 licks, makes it seem more likley that it was him. smiling smiley

I believe it was him, too, but not by looking at the clip on italian tv smoking smiley

Date: June 29, 2012 13:55

I edited my previous post. grinning smiley

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1210
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home