Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 2 of 5
Re: Is Blondie Chaplin Playing All of Keith's Guitar Parts in the Studio and at Concerts?
Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: June 23, 2012 09:49

Justin
the answer is NO

Correct answer

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Re: Is Blondie Chaplin Playing All of Keith's Guitar Parts in the Studio and at Concerts?
Posted by: slewan ()
Date: June 23, 2012 10:20

I never said that all of Keith' guitar playing is done by somebody else. But I you compare what you see to what you hear you will find out that quite often you hear much more guitar playing than you actually see (and I'm not only talking about those overdubbed "live" videos that are officially released)

and a final word on Ronnie: How does it come that he plays so much better when he's performing without the Stones (i.e. solo or as a guest on other peoples' shows)?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-06-23 10:22 by slewan.

Posted by: thecitadel ()
Date: June 23, 2012 10:35

This is a nonsense thread.

Blondie isn't a bad guitarist, But can probably emulate Keith quite well by now.

Watch him on stage - mostly singing, occasionally in view with a guitar - but only a few songs; often a tambourine.

Check out an official set-list. I'm looking at San Sebastian 2007 right now (I was given it in the Rattlesnake that evening as they handed them out to Tim, Bernard & co. so its one for the band members). "BC GTR" on three numbers: JJF (says off stage); Its all Over Now and Satisfaction.

I've seen him from the side, behind the amps, playing - but only on 1 or 2 numbers.

Good guitarist; mate of Keiths; nice man actually when you meet him (a bit moody sometimes, but who isn't).

Posted by: Justin ()
Date: June 23, 2012 11:27

slewan
But I you compare what you see to what you hear you will find out that quite often you hear much more guitar playing than you actually see (and I'm not only talking about those overdubbed "live" videos that are officially released)

Oh how convenient: you dismiss all the video where you get a crystal clear view of what's going on on stage with a clear shot of who's playing what parts. Let me guess...you'd rather prefer to use audience shot videos as evidence? Terribly shot, awful sounding audience recorded clips to prove that Blondie is playing over Keith? Considering it would be very easy to mishear sounds on such a poorly recorded document, I can see how this would be your preferred method to "proving" your theories. Well fine, let me post some. I suppose it'd be easy to spot a video with Keith "not playing" his guitar since you say it happens so "often."

"It's Only Rock and Roll"

...I don't see/hear a discrepancy there with what Keith is doing with what we hear in the video.

"Can't You Hear Me Knockin"

...Keith is doing all the work here...where's Blondie?

"Satisfaction"

"Jumpin Jack Flash"

..and Blondie?

Well I give up...could you maybe post the clips that demonstrates what you're talking about? Considering Blondie is on stage in clear view of the audience, no one is trying to hide him to trick the audiences. So I'm not sure how Blondie's accompanying Keith and Ronnie can be viewed as deceitful.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: June 23, 2012 13:11

An absurd thread. Someone is trying to shoot down a claim that noone has ever made. Even "arguments" are offered. Aah, those bravy Don Quixotes on their windmills...Jeez Christ.eye popping smiley

- Doxa

Posted by: Nasty Habits ()
Date: June 23, 2012 13:37

This thread and previous threads on this matter are pointless and utter bullshit. If it is true then it's some very good miming on Keith's part surely at some point there would be a cord or a riff played while Keith's fingers were nowhere near the fretboard and he would become exposed! And as a point I saw the Stones play Brno in 2007 and from memory I don't think I saw Blondie even hold a guitar at that gig. Secondly all this nonsense about click track, backing tracks and overdubs being used at gigs is rubbish to. Makes me wonder if any of you that make these claims have ever actually attended a Stones gig!

"I've got nasty habits I take tea at three"

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: June 23, 2012 14:47

Well done Blondie!

Posted by: RobertJohnson ()
Date: June 23, 2012 15:36

Sorry, Blondie is too good a guitar player, so he can't cover Keith with all his bump notes and messed up solos on last tour ... that's original Keith ... and this is the strongest argument in favor that we heard really Keith on last tour ...

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: June 23, 2012 16:09

71Tele
StonesTod
treaclefingers
Midnight Toker
At this point in time I don't care how much he plays or doesn't play. I want to remember him for all of his greatness.

Blondie has that affect on people.

i will not tolerate any more of this blondie bashing. okay, so he's not the same guy who ripped it up with the beach boys and paul butterfield...we all get old...or something.

Jeez, Tod. No Blondie bashing. No Chuck bashing. Whom are we allowed to bash? You're no fun at all.

for a limited time only, we're allowed to bash matt clifford. but keep it clean, folks.

Date: June 23, 2012 16:11

mtaylor
Don't overestimate Blondie, Blondie's guitar playing - Blondie's impact on Beach Boys etc.
How long did Blondie actually play with Beach Boys - more or less a year?? Did he have any major impact on Beach Boys? No.
Blondie's guitar playing - has he ever been a toprated guitarplayer? No.

saw blondie with butterfield/danko band in '79...can honestly say it was one of the greatest guitar performances i've ever attended. the man can flat-out play.

Posted by: stonesdan60 ()
Date: June 23, 2012 16:25

flilflam
This is a response from an earlier thread called Keith's Fingers. Read it carefully. If this is true, then this is BIG!!!
Re: Keith's fingers
Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: June 23, 2012 00:11

flilflam
slewan
there are innovations (already used during the last tours): 1. adding a hidden guitarist to play Keith's stuff, 2. more posing instead of playing - performed by Keith himself, 3. forcing Ronnie to play below his abilities to avoid playing better than Keith (poor Ronnieā€¦)

The owner of this web site needs to set up some rules to prevent people like you from making up things that quite possibly are not true. I will not argue point 2 with you but would only add that is obnoxious.

As for point 1, I have several questions for you. What is the name of this phantom guitarist? Who told you someone other than Keith is playing his parts in songs? Do you understand that, if a large number of people actually believed your nonsense, the Stones credibility would be ruined and possibly their careers? Once again, who is this phantom guitarist, what is his date of birth, and what does he look like? Can you show us his picture?

As for point 3, here is my question. Are you crazy? Ronnie is a great guitarist and plays his heart out. I have seen him in 5 live concerts, and he is a terrific guitarist.

Blondie Chaplin

Date: August 25, 2010 17:21

Having a chat with Stonesdoug at the Cabbage Patch in London prior to one of the Twicks gigs in '06....we having a good laugh about about this...Doug says "you know that Blondie is covering for about half of Keith's parts these days," to which I reply, "so, who's covering the other half??"

Posted by: Jah Paul ()
Date: August 25, 2010 22:05

Back in 2002 (Licks Tour) when I was waiting on line for my wristband at The Wiltern, a guy in front of me claimed to be either a guitar tech or roadie for Blondie back when he was with The Beach Boys. He went on and on about how great a guitarist Blondie was, and how he was still friends with him, etc. - and I distinctly remember him saying, "You know he plays a lot of Les Paul up there...you just don't see him!"

I saw the Stones very close up on the BB Tour. It was obvious that Keith was playing his own parts. Blondie adds barely audible filler and background guitar.

Date: June 23, 2012 16:36

stonesdan60
Blondie adds barely audible filler and background guitar.

perhaps the best lead barely audible filler and background guitarist out there. the stones don't settle for second-best.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-06-23 17:11 by StonesTod.

Posted by: flacnvinyl ()
Date: June 23, 2012 16:53

I will post an mp3 later but Blondie's playing rhythm during the bstage is what bugged me. He is NOT playing Keith's licks and Keith isn't a mime, its the gripe that we have an extra 3rd guitar outta nowhere.

Date: June 23, 2012 17:52

Yes, he's played on every album and live show. That's just the kind of fact that Stonesnow or Mighty50 would invent.

Date: June 23, 2012 18:06

lettingitbleed
Sticky Fingers original studio recording of Bitch has Keith on rhythm (playing the main riff) with Taylor on the lead noodling.

Wrong

Blondie Chaplin is NOT Playing All of Keith's Guitar Parts in the Studio and at Concerts
Date: June 23, 2012 18:13

And let's not forget that Justin already gave the correct answer.

Justin
the answer is NO

-------------------

Date: June 23, 2012 18:44

Doxa
An absurd thread. Someone is trying to shoot down a claim that noone has ever made. Even "arguments" are offered. Aah, those bravy Don Quixotes on their windmills...Jeez Christ.eye popping smiley

- Doxa

I don't recall any Noone not making a claim.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-06-23 18:45 by WeLoveToPlayTheBlues.

Posted by: Stones62 ()
Date: June 23, 2012 19:13

DandelionPowderman
lettingitbleed
Sticky Fingers original studio recording of Bitch has Keith on rhythm (playing the main riff) with Taylor on the lead noodling.

Wrong
Yarp. You got it wrong way 'round. As to the original thread that prompted this one, it was stated that Blondie played filler parts and covered for Keith live. I don't recall anyone saying that Blondie playing for Keith in the studio. A mountain has been made from a mole hill I think...

Posted by: Stones62 ()
Date: June 23, 2012 19:18

D'oh! Double post. Damn i-Phone!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2012-06-23 20:08 by Stones62.

Posted by: buffalo7478 ()
Date: June 23, 2012 19:51

The whole 'Vegas' or 'wall of sound' the Stones have done live for years, especially in big venues, leaves you wondering who is playing what. 3 guitars often buried behind keyboards and horns. I feel the same way about Springsteen, when across teh front of the stage you see Bruce, his wife, Steven and Nils all strumming, yet zero passion or power coming out.

Whatever the Stones do live this next tour I hope it involves fewer people on stage, and guitars that are amped up and powerful, and played with conviction and passion (by whoever plays them).

Date: June 23, 2012 20:28

buffalo7478
The whole 'Vegas' or 'wall of sound' the Stones have done live for years, especially in big venues, leaves you wondering who is playing what. 3 guitars often buried behind keyboards and horns. I feel the same way about Springsteen, when across teh front of the stage you see Bruce, his wife, Steven and Nils all strumming, yet zero passion or power coming out.

Whatever the Stones do live this next tour I hope it involves fewer people on stage, and guitars that are amped up and powerful, and played with conviction and passion (by whoever plays them).

You hope that there are fewer people on stage yet hope the guitars are played with conviction and passion by...whoever plays them?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! That's a good one! That is HILARIOUS!

Eh, what you said about Bruce is easily replaceable with the Stones - zero passion or power coming out, at least during the Bang tour (I think the last ounce of passion and power they had was ont he Licks tour), or as some people like to say, "lately". You watch Mick play and he just flams away at the guitar, no real emphasis on "playing". Keith, of course, doesn't even bother, he just holds on to it now as a tool to help him "balance". Ronnie continually strangles his like it's a wet chicken.

Date: June 23, 2012 20:53

WeLoveToPlayTheBlues
Ronnie continually strangles his like it's a wet chicken.

but he does so ever so passionately...please.

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: June 23, 2012 22:29

Dumb thread.

Date: June 23, 2012 22:41

More Hot Rocks
Dumb thread.

Clever post smiling smiley

-------------------

Date: June 23, 2012 23:06

More Hot Rocks
Dumb thread.

aren't you about due to start a smart one that extols the myriad of merits for the '78 tour?

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: June 23, 2012 23:36

Well I've read this thread, and as much as I'm guilty of Keith-bashing, i've only ever experienced the fake-mystery guitar on their official videos which have gone through post-production.

Yes, Blondie is there with a guitar strumming away - usually just on an acoustic (heard very prominently on disc one of Live Licks).

And yes, Ronnie SEEMS TO ME to have his role reduced as he never seems to shine at a Stones show - but somehow still TO THIS DAY can do great things with a guitar - far more than Capt. Gold Rings Sparrow - when he's without that awful Stones baggage.

Keith does leave HUGE holes in their sound, getting worse each tour from Steel Wheels on - but Sir Mick's Vegas Show Lineup has been in place to cover that up with singers, horns, 1-2 keyboards, etc. Nothing new.

In fact, one would think that they were inspired by David-Gilmour-Era Pink Floyd for that idea (extra guitar, extra singers, extra keys, extra drummer, etc) - the Mark Fisher Era of Excess!!! Their regular-sized lineup at Live 8 was MUCH more like it. But I digress as I'm sure most people here hate Pink Floyd.... (apologies)

As for The Old Men (I don't call The Stones 'boys'), in this day and age they could just have Keith stand up there, at quarter volume and beat his fist on his chest all night. Apparently that's good enough for some of you willing to pay through the nose to see. And good for them.

But this Keith-miming to guitars DURING a show - it's bull$#!t.

[thepowergoats.com]

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2012-06-23 23:42 by jamesfdouglas.

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: June 24, 2012 00:51

Blondie played on Sticky Fingers, EOMS etc. mmmm. smileys with beersmileys with beer

Date: June 24, 2012 01:04

jamesfdouglas
Well I've read this thread, and as much as I'm guilty of Keith-bashing, i've only ever experienced the fake-mystery guitar on their official videos which have gone through post-production.

Yes, Blondie is there with a guitar strumming away - usually just on an acoustic (heard very prominently on disc one of Live Licks).

And yes, Ronnie SEEMS TO ME to have his role reduced as he never seems to shine at a Stones show - but somehow still TO THIS DAY can do great things with a guitar - far more than Capt. Gold Rings Sparrow - when he's without that awful Stones baggage.

Keith does leave HUGE holes in their sound, getting worse each tour from Steel Wheels on - but Sir Mick's Vegas Show Lineup has been in place to cover that up with singers, horns, 1-2 keyboards, etc. Nothing new.

In fact, one would think that they were inspired by David-Gilmour-Era Pink Floyd for that idea (extra guitar, extra singers, extra keys, extra drummer, etc) - the Mark Fisher Era of Excess!!! Their regular-sized lineup at Live 8 was MUCH more like it. But I digress as I'm sure most people here hate Pink Floyd.... (apologies)

As for The Old Men (I don't call The Stones 'boys'), in this day and age they could just have Keith stand up there, at quarter volume and beat his fist on his chest all night. Apparently that's good enough for some of you willing to pay through the nose to see. And good for them.

Good comments, and seemingly fair. I guess my question is, do you think most musicians (such as yourself) agree with your comments? I mean, concerning Keith's actual playing ability. Is he really that bad? To me, (a non musician) I can live with additional guitars, etc., as the bottom line for me is the overall sound. I love that "wall of sound" they produce in JJF. I suppose If Keith's playing became so bad that I began to notice it affecting the overall sound I might at that point want him to stand down. Of course he only has to "stand up" for one last tour so that is a moot point really. I doubt that the vast majority of concert goers notice what you and others notice. Nice to know that Blondie isn't playing his parts though.

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: June 24, 2012 02:20

MightyStonesStillRollin50
jamesfdouglas

Good comments, and seemingly fair. I guess my question is, do you think most musicians (such as yourself) agree with your comments? I mean, concerning Keith's actual playing ability. Is he really that bad? To me, (a non musician) I can live with additional guitars, etc., as the bottom line for me is the overall sound. I love that "wall of sound" they produce in JJF. I suppose If Keith's playing became so bad that I began to notice it affecting the overall sound I might at that point want him to stand down. Of course he only has to "stand up" for one last tour so that is a moot point really. I doubt that the vast majority of concert goers notice what you and others notice. Nice to know that Blondie isn't playing his parts though.

I don't know if 25 years of guitar playing makes me a musician, but in case, the answer is no, I do not agree with a single word JD said.

But at the end of the day, it is not even worth discussing. I love the way Keith played during the Bang tour. Bad nights and all. Others don't, who cares?

As for the "big band", I friend of mine just co-produced a film on the life of Giovanna Cau, an old lawyer from Rome (still living) famous for being the lawyer of most Italian actors of the 60s. One of her quotes fits perfectly in this thread: "I will always be grateful to my firm: my younger colleagues carry most of the burden now, but they allow me to still practice this profession that I love".

C

Date: June 24, 2012 02:43

liddas
MightyStonesStillRollin50
jamesfdouglas

I don't know if 25 years of guitar playing makes me a musician, but in case, the answer is no, I do not agree with a single word JD said.

But at the end of the day, it is not even worth discussing. I love the way Keith played during the Bang tour. Bad nights and all. Others don't, who cares?

As for the "big band", I friend of mine just co-produced a film on the life of Giovanna Cau, an old lawyer from Rome (still living) famous for being the lawyer of most Italian actors of the 60s. One of her quotes fits perfectly in this thread: "I will always be grateful to my firm: my younger colleagues carry most of the burden now, but they allow me to still practice this profession that I love".

C

Excellent comments. 25 years of guitar playing definitely (without a shadow of a doubt) qualifies you to weigh in on this subject. When you say you loved Keith's playing on the last tour (bad nights and all) is it fair to conclude that you must have still enjoyed the overall show? I saw them live only once on the last tour and I thought they sounded fantastic. Sometimes we get by with a little help from our mates. Nothing wrong with that.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 2 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2121
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home