Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
Keith
Posted by: Loudei ()
Date: June 7, 2012 18:36

Keith's playing has always been a dance between feel and attitude and brass balls - oh yeah and a good buzz. A band that for many years the drummer pretty much followed the rhythm guitarist is no more. Keith can't be followed anymore - it's the truth!!!! It's pretty damn sad but all these elements of his playing have gone and also you have the problems with his fingers and 50 years of hard living.

But then again there was a time when Keith stood next to Charlie and played and carried the band - oh yeah its called musicianship that turned into entertainment, an act and a lot of posing. Could this transformation Hurt his playing? Probably so,.. I think one Keith's best years as a guitar player was in 88' with the Winos, right before the "Vegas Stones". When did the "cool" of his playing go?

Where is the respect for the music? His own songs.. I rather have him play something else , you name it - keyboards, percusion, what ever... But the music comes first... He can play some open G tunes sure... But then what? When was the last time you people heard a good Stones groove onstage - a groove that turns an old song into something new? Maybe I should start smoking some good weed and to listen what some of you are listening and Keith and the band and the millions that will pay top dollar to see the band.

Their going out just to say they did it? 50 years!!! Bla bla bla... What about the tunes man? That Its only rock n roll B stage clip is not far from reality. What would Keith play on the solo of Sympathy? Not the one he played on Shine a light - that was too embarrasing. (jesus christ keith)

As a Keith die hard fan and Stones fan I ish they do just a big gig celebration and say "that's all folks.....

Re: Keith
Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: June 7, 2012 19:13

fully agree with this post. its sad. paradox-- like H.S. Thompson, the lifestyle fueled and diminished the talent. That injury was debilitating too apparently. He won't let on: "I'm fine, man"...
He'll probably make a last stand and I hope its a good one.

Date: June 7, 2012 19:14

Loudei
Keith's playing has always been a dance between feel and attitude and brass balls - oh yeah and a good buzz. A band that for many years the drummer pretty much followed the rhythm guitarist is no more. Keith can't be followed anymore - it's the truth!!!! It's pretty damn sad but all these elements of his playing have gone and also you have the problems with his fingers and 50 years of hard living.

But then again there was a time when Keith stood next to Charlie and played and carried the band - oh yeah its called musicianship that turned into entertainment, an act and a lot of posing. Could this transformation Hurt his playing? Probably so,.. I think one Keith's best years as a guitar player was in 88' with the Winos, right before the "Vegas Stones". When did the "cool" of his playing go?

Where is the respect for the music? His own songs.. I rather have him play something else , you name it - keyboards, percusion, what ever... But the music comes first... He can play some open G tunes sure... But then what? When was the last time you people heard a good Stones groove onstage - a groove that turns an old song into something new? Maybe I should start smoking some good weed and to listen what some of you are listening and Keith and the band and the millions that will pay top dollar to see the band.

Their going out just to say they did it? 50 years!!! Bla bla bla... What about the tunes man? That Its only rock n roll B stage clip is not far from reality. What would Keith play on the solo of Sympathy? Not the one he played on Shine a light - that was too embarrasing. (jesus christ keith)

As a Keith die hard fan and Stones fan I ish they do just a big gig celebration and say "that's all folks.....

The casual fan couldn't care less. They will show up and never notice what you and other hardcore fans and musicians notice. The overall sound will be great (as it always is) and the vast majority of concert goers will go home thrilled that they had one final opportunity to see the legendary Rolling Stones. It's as simple as that.

On the other hand there will be many hardcore fans (most of them musicians) that will show up on sites like this and scream their displeasure that Keith ruined the show for them because he can no longer truly play like the old Keith Richards. But their whiny voices won't mean a damn thing to the thousands that experienced the joy of an old pirates final journey. Yeah, maybe that old pirate limped home on one leg and a black patch over his eye, but thousands will be filled with joy that he walked that final mile just for them.

Posted by: GravityBoy ()
Date: June 7, 2012 19:16

It's true.

Charlie followed Keith at their peak.

Now everyone follows the plink-master.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: June 7, 2012 19:19

Why do people bother to start threads trashing Keith? Do you think he's going away, and will be replaced by a better 'Keith'? Do you think your criticism, repeated by others ad nauseum across other threads, will make Keith a better player at this point? Other than pointing out the obvious, what do you exactly hope to achieve?

Date: June 7, 2012 20:19

MightyStonesStillRollin50
Loudei

The casual fan couldn't care less. They will show up and never notice what you and other hardcore fans and musicians notice. The overall sound will be great (as it always is) and the vast majority of concert goers will go home thrilled that they had one final opportunity to see the legendary Rolling Stones. It's as simple as that.

On the other hand there will be many hardcore fans (most of them musicians) that will show up on sites like this and scream their displeasure that Keith ruined the show for them because he can no longer truly play like the old Keith Richards. But their whiny voices won't mean a damn thing to the thousands that experienced the joy of an old pirates final journey. Yeah, maybe that old pirate limped home on one leg and a black patch over his eye, but thousands will be filled with joy that he walked that final mile just for them.

Keith will get plenty of support from the fans once he takes the stage. That should carry him through.

Posted by: crumbling_mice ()
Date: June 7, 2012 21:43

Keith is what Keith is...he is never going to be Keith from any other decade, his playing is never going to be anything like it was even 5 years ago. He is an old man, with some fairly debilitating illnesses. That said, I agree with the above poster who said the average music fan will turn up and wowed at the overall spectacle of a Stones gig and go home elated at seeing Keith, and Mick and Charlie one last time. THey won't notice Keith barely plays his guitar, they will cheer at his posing and his one liners. We, (IORR's) are the minority!

Posted by: vertigojoe ()
Date: June 7, 2012 21:49

Has Keith not listened to his own solo on Sympathy recently? Shine a Light etc?? Does he not have the self respect to see what he's doing? And has nobody close to him pointed it out to him?

Date: June 7, 2012 22:03

crumbling_mice
Keith is what Keith is...he is never going to be Keith from any other decade, his playing is never going to be anything like it was even 5 years ago. He is an old man, with some fairly debilitating illnesses. That said, I agree with the above poster who said the average music fan will turn up and wowed at the overall spectacle of a Stones gig and go home elated at seeing Keith, and Mick and Charlie one last time. THey won't notice Keith barely plays his guitar, they will cheer at his posing and his one liners. We, (IORR's) are the minority!

Exactly. The overall sound (and spectacle) is all that matters to 99.9% of the concert goers at a Stones concert. It's a show, and Keith is at minimum a great showman.

I LOVE THE STONES
Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: June 7, 2012 22:07

I would love to see the Stones on stage again

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Re: I LOVE THE STONES
Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: June 7, 2012 22:14

Rolling Hansie

Same with me.
To be honest,I´m glad no shows are scheduled yet...gives me time to become fit.

Date: June 7, 2012 22:14

vertigojoe
Has Keith not listened to his own solo on Sympathy recently? Shine a Light etc?? Does he not have the self respect to see what he's doing? And has nobody close to him pointed it out to him?

The average fan watching Shine A Light doesn't see what you see. I would wager that the vast majority in attendance went home satisfied that evening and have no clue of what you speak. I don't think rock 'n roll was ever intended to be placed under such a microscope. It's just two hours of escape, just like the movies.

Re: I LOVE THE STONES
Date: June 7, 2012 22:16

Rolling Hansie

thumbs up OLGROY

Date: June 7, 2012 22:18

Who is OLGROY ?

-------------------

Date: June 7, 2012 22:24

Rolling Hansie
Who is OLGROY ?

A voice from the past.smoking smiley

Date: June 7, 2012 22:40

I Love Rolling Hansie cos he's just so nice to everybody. Never a bad word about stones or us obsessives. I have this mental picture of him sat somewhere in Holland, maybe Utrecht? with a big spliff listening to Brussells on repeat. Respect.

Posted by: GOO ()
Date: June 7, 2012 22:44

I like going guitarless during you got the silver

Posted by: cbtaco19 ()
Date: June 7, 2012 22:47

INXS I'm quite interested in.

- Keith Richards, 1988

I like U2; I really do. I think Bono, especially, has something special.

- Keith Richards, 1988

Date: June 7, 2012 22:48

Is that you Keith?

Posted by: marko ()
Date: June 7, 2012 22:55

oh no not this againhot smiley

Date: June 7, 2012 22:58

vertigojoe
I have this mental picture of him sat somewhere in Holland, maybe Utrecht? with a big spliff listening to Brussells on repeat.

Make that Limburg with a beer and you got the picture smiling smiley

-------------------

Date: June 7, 2012 23:01

Ok.. i dont know Limburg but i will be in Utrecht shortly. With a big spliff. And you're right, It would be great to see The Rolling Stones on stage again..

Date: June 7, 2012 23:02

Have a good time in Utrecht. Great city.

-------------------

Date: June 7, 2012 23:04

Im guessing at this spelling.. Austerblift!

Date: June 8, 2012 05:18

vertigojoe
I Love Rolling Hansie cos he's just so nice to everybody. Never a bad word about stones or us obsessives. I have this mental picture of him sat somewhere in Holland, maybe Utrecht? with a big spliff listening to Brussells on repeat. Respect.

thumbs upRolling Hansie is a class act indeed.

Posted by: boynamedsue69 ()
Date: June 8, 2012 06:04

do people forget that Keith is appraoching 70 years of age. i highly doubt that any off us will or would be able to do what we did 10, 20, 30, 40, 50 years ago. maybe time has stolen his once fluent playing or intense licks but i know i would be more that HAPPY to see the boys one last time and no i won't be analizing every move but enjoying the opportunity to see the guys who have provided me with so many musical highlights whether it be on the road or in the studio, solo efforts or whatever.

so many experts get on this forum and yes we all have the freedom to express an opinion but some times i feel people should take a greater look at things and accept that the stones are getting old, yes old, and that it must get harder to do what they do...... each and everyday of the year..

Posted by: uhbuhgullayew ()
Date: June 8, 2012 06:15

boynamedsue69
do people forget that Keith is appraoching 70 years of age.

yeah, but damn, the man got 9 lives........... (maybe mo')

Date: June 8, 2012 06:28

boynamedsue69
do people forget that Keith is appraoching 70 years of age. i highly doubt that any off us will or would be able to do what we did 10, 20, 30, 40, 50 years ago. maybe time has stolen his once fluent playing or intense licks but i know i would be more that HAPPY to see the boys one last time and no i won't be analizing every move but enjoying the opportunity to see the guys who have provided me with so many musical highlights whether it be on the road or in the studio, solo efforts or whatever.

so many experts get on this forum and yes we all have the freedom to express an opinion but some times i feel people should take a greater look at things and accept that the stones are getting old, yes old, and that it must get harder to do what they do...... each and everyday of the year..

Well stated. I thought it was amazing what they accomplished on the last tour. To do anything next year is more then enough for me. I am in my early sixties, and I am ready for bed about the time they go on stage. My hat is off to them. They have given their fans 50 years of high energy performances, and a damn good soap opera to boot. Not to mention hundreds of fabulous songs.

Posted by: memphiscats ()
Date: June 8, 2012 07:16

If you go by the number of "waking hours" Keith has lived, he's actually closer to 210 years old. In Life, Keith explained due to his sleepless days, he's lived about 3 lives compared to the average mortal. One of the many signs that Keith can't be killed by conventional weapons. drinking smiley

Posted by: swiss ()
Date: June 8, 2012 10:21

24FPS
Why do people bother to start threads trashing Keith? Do you think he's going away, and will be replaced by a better 'Keith'? Do you think your criticism, repeated by others ad nauseum across other threads, will make Keith a better player at this point? Other than pointing out the obvious, what do you exactly hope to achieve?

I'm with you - posts like this make it easy to stay away from iorr for a week at a time. Especially the enigmatic title "Keith," which makes you look, even tho you know you're going to regret it. If it were entitled "Redundant ranting on Keith's diminished abilities" it would be more honest, and get fewer hits.

But I do agree Rolling Hansie is, as they say, a class act smileys with beer

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1889
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home