Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: Keith
Date: June 8, 2012 10:30

The best thing about Keith is... that he doesn't care, he does his own thing - slag him if you want to, but there comes a day when you're gonna have to take it back, I believe smiling smiley

If he wants to interact with the crowd, and give them something special back during SFTD, instead of focusing on the playing (on that song in particular), I'm fine with it.

Posted by: seitan ()
Date: June 8, 2012 10:52

MightyStonesStillRollin50
Loudei
Keith's playing has always been a dance between feel and attitude and brass balls - oh yeah and a good buzz. A band that for many years the drummer pretty much followed the rhythm guitarist is no more. Keith can't be followed anymore - it's the truth!!!! It's pretty damn sad but all these elements of his playing have gone and also you have the problems with his fingers and 50 years of hard living.

But then again there was a time when Keith stood next to Charlie and played and carried the band - oh yeah its called musicianship that turned into entertainment, an act and a lot of posing. Could this transformation Hurt his playing? Probably so,.. I think one Keith's best years as a guitar player was in 88' with the Winos, right before the "Vegas Stones". When did the "cool" of his playing go?

Where is the respect for the music? His own songs.. I rather have him play something else , you name it - keyboards, percusion, what ever... But the music comes first... He can play some open G tunes sure... But then what? When was the last time you people heard a good Stones groove onstage - a groove that turns an old song into something new? Maybe I should start smoking some good weed and to listen what some of you are listening and Keith and the band and the millions that will pay top dollar to see the band.

Their going out just to say they did it? 50 years!!! Bla bla bla... What about the tunes man? That Its only rock n roll B stage clip is not far from reality. What would Keith play on the solo of Sympathy? Not the one he played on Shine a light - that was too embarrasing. (jesus christ keith)

As a Keith die hard fan and Stones fan I ish they do just a big gig celebration and say "that's all folks.....

The casual fan couldn't care less. They will show up and never notice what you and other hardcore fans and musicians notice. The overall sound will be great (as it always is) and the vast majority of concert goers will go home thrilled that they had one final opportunity to see the legendary Rolling Stones. It's as simple as that.

On the other hand there will be many hardcore fans (most of them musicians) that will show up on sites like this and scream their displeasure that Keith ruined the show for them because he can no longer truly play like the old Keith Richards. But their whiny voices won't mean a damn thing to the thousands that experienced the joy of an old pirates final journey. Yeah, maybe that old pirate limped home on one leg and a black patch over his eye, but thousands will be filled with joy that he walked that final mile just for them.

I agree with MightyStonesStillRollin50 - but are you sure..,It's too early to say, you cant hear hardly any music from Keith these days, so how do you know that it would suck..The Stones havent done anything, so how do you know if it will suck or not. - ..and yes, I'm a musician. Let's wait and see before we make any harsh judgements.

I was happy with the way Keith pulled off the job on Tom Waits band on the new Tom Waits album, - good solid bluesy rock n roll.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: June 8, 2012 16:16

DandelionPowderman
The best thing about Keith is... that he doesn't care, he does his own thing - slag him if you want to, but there comes a day when you're gonna have to take it back, I believe smiling smiley

If he wants to interact with the crowd, and give them something special back during SFTD, instead of focusing on the playing (on that song in particular), I'm fine with it.

I'd echo that sentiment 100%

Personally I'd rather he sometimes paid a bit more attention to the fretboard than to the front row ...but Keith is Keith .

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: June 8, 2012 18:16

Keith Richards is 70 years-old at the end of next year, no? I think there lies the answer as to why he is no longer the guitarist he was. As long as he puts the effort in, I see no reason to complain. Father time has caught up with our Keef.

Posted by: bestfour ()
Date: June 8, 2012 18:58

24FPS
Why do people bother to start threads trashing Keith? Do you think he's going away, and will be replaced by a better 'Keith'? Do you think your criticism, repeated by others ad nauseum across other threads, will make Keith a better player at this point? Other than pointing out the obvious, what do you exactly hope to achieve?

Well said I could'nt agree more, sick and tired of reading "Keith bashing" threads.
Who says Keith is'nt getting treatment for his hands/fingers and will be back to his good ol'self drinking smiley

Date: June 8, 2012 19:37

Big Al
Keith Richards is 70 years-old at the end of next year, no? I think there lies the answer as to why he is no longer the guitarist he was. As long as he puts the effort in, I see no reason to complain. Father time has caught up with our Keef.

Father Time eventually tracks all of us down. Keith is one tough old man and still has some fight in him. Maybe all we can expect from him at this late stage of his career is the occasional moment of magic? That's enough for me.

Posted by: Loudei ()
Date: June 8, 2012 20:02

oh So Keith can critize and trash eveybody with all Keith honesty - exmple Mick - but Keith can't be critized? what a joke.

Date: June 8, 2012 20:36

24FPS
Why do people bother to start threads trashing Keith? Do you think he's going away, and will be replaced by a better 'Keith'? Do you think your criticism, repeated by others ad nauseum across other threads, will make Keith a better player at this point? Other than pointing out the obvious, what do you exactly hope to achieve?

Good question. I think it's a basic human flaw. Sometimes when a person makes up his/her mind they don't like someone they then go about the business of reinforcing their assertion. In short, they begin to look for any little flaw they can find in the person to exploit and bolster their belief.

Since "Life" Keith's popularity has taken a huge hit with many Stones fans. Couple that with his declining skills, and you have a "powder keg". Of course you always have to factor in jealousy. Even when Keith was at the peak of his popularity he still had his detractors.

We can all pretty much agree that Keith isn't the player he once was, but that doesn't justify beating him up around here, day, after day, after day.

Posted by: ThankGod ()
Date: June 8, 2012 21:01

Loudei
oh So Keith can critize and trash eveybody with all Keith honesty - exmple Mick - but Keith can't be critized? what a joke.

It's great to see the intelligence level of this board hasn't deteriorated over the years.

Date: June 8, 2012 21:05

There is one man in this world that preaches brutal truth and that is Keith Richards. I very much admire him for that. In my heart I know he knows he is not the same musician he once was and probably hurts him too. But this monkey clown act must stop! A little musicianship and respect for the music would be nice... actually it would make my high go even higher, my alcohol buzz would kick in nicer if I would hear more instead of relying on a visual performances that would make my mind masturbate itself with nostalgia.

What a joke... fans in denial ... pathetic

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: June 8, 2012 21:08

Loudei
What a joke... fans in denial ... pathetic

And your point is ?????

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Date: June 8, 2012 21:11

Loudei

I can accept that there is probably a little karma going on here. I can understand the criticism for his comments about his mate, but the constant criticism over his playing ability at times is a little "over the top". Skills wise he is what he is.

Posted by: big4 ()
Date: June 8, 2012 21:28

Does anyone really think that Keith would go on-stage at this point for a Stones show and truly embarass himself? I'm not talking about post-tree fall Keith in '06-'07, when he had no choice because you can't just "cancel" a Stones tour. They did postpone one in '98 but the one in '06 was already underway when he fell from the tree. I think it was a different Keith on-stage after his first taste as frontman in '88 with the Winos. He had a taste of what it was like to be Mick, and probably surprising himself, loved it. His playing would never be the same on-stage because during that first Winos tour he transformed from guitar player to frontman. Despite the Stones returning in '89, it seems a part of Keith still wanted to the frontman which is where you get the posturing, the posing and all those things. As he grew older and lazier those antics more and more filled up his place on stage. Instead of the locomotive driving the band, he became the caboose, seeking attention. Maybe partly out of frustration of Mick turning Chuck into band leadeer. But right now Jagger is looking out for his friend, giving Keith time to "get it together" so he can do a run of shows or tour. Mick could've easily thrown Keith to the wolves and said, 'we're touring and you better be ready or else." But he didn't because for one he cares too much about the band's legacy and also because he's human and despite what Keith has said or wrote about him. He knows Keith has dealt with things Mick has never had to (arthritis, Patti's illness, the effects of the tree fall) and probably has a level of sympathy that has led to them getting along better these days. Bottom line is Keith has been through a lot in the past few years. He is torn and frayed, he has seen much better days but as long as the guitar plays...

Date: June 9, 2012 02:53

big4
Does anyone really think that Keith would go on-stage at this point for a Stones show and truly embarass himself? I'm not talking about post-tree fall Keith in '06-'07, when he had no choice because you can't just "cancel" a Stones tour. They did postpone one in '98 but the one in '06 was already underway when he fell from the tree. I think it was a different Keith on-stage after his first taste as frontman in '88 with the Winos. He had a taste of what it was like to be Mick, and probably surprising himself, loved it. His playing would never be the same on-stage because during that first Winos tour he transformed from guitar player to frontman. Despite the Stones returning in '89, it seems a part of Keith still wanted to the frontman which is where you get the posturing, the posing and all those things. As he grew older and lazier those antics more and more filled up his place on stage. Instead of the locomotive driving the band, he became the caboose, seeking attention. Maybe partly out of frustration of Mick turning Chuck into band leadeer. But right now Jagger is looking out for his friend, giving Keith time to "get it together" so he can do a run of shows or tour. Mick could've easily thrown Keith to the wolves and said, 'we're touring and you better be ready or else." But he didn't because for one he cares too much about the band's legacy and also because he's human and despite what Keith has said or wrote about him. He knows Keith has dealt with things Mick has never had to (arthritis, Patti's illness, the effects of the tree fall) and probably has a level of sympathy that has led to them getting along better these days. Bottom line is Keith has been through a lot in the past few years. He is torn and frayed, he has seen much better days but as long as the guitar plays...

Excellent comments. Very possible scenario.

Posted by: backstreetboy1 ()
Date: June 9, 2012 04:03

i think keiths playing was great on shine a light.did you watch it with earplugs in.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: June 9, 2012 04:03

big4

Fantastic post! Finally, a sensible and humane post that sums up what is going on. It is so cliched and tired to continually post about how bad Keith has become, he can't keep time, he can't play, etc. . . I am sure we will all be surprised again by The Rolling Stones.

Date: June 9, 2012 04:48

whitem8
big4

Fantastic post! Finally, a sensible and humane post that sums up what is going on. It is so cliched and tired to continually post about how bad Keith has become, he can't keep time, he can't play, etc. . . I am sure we will all be surprised again by The Rolling Stones.

Let's hope so.

Posted by: SweetThing ()
Date: June 9, 2012 06:59

memphiscats
If you go by the number of "waking hours" Keith has lived, he's actually closer to 210 years old. In Life, Keith explained due to his sleepless days, he's lived about 3 lives compared to the average mortal. One of the many signs that Keith can't be killed by conventional weapons. drinking smiley

How old does that make keith in dog years?

Posted by: SweetThing ()
Date: June 9, 2012 07:04

boynamedsue69
do people forget that Keith is appraoching 70 years of age. i highly doubt that any off us will or would be able to do what we did 10, 20, 30, 40, 50 years ago. maybe time has stolen his once fluent playing or intense licks but i know i would be more that HAPPY to see the boys one last time and no i won't be analizing every move but enjoying the opportunity to see the guys who have provided me with so many musical highlights whether it be on the road or in the studio, solo efforts or whatever.

so many experts get on this forum and yes we all have the freedom to express an opinion but some times i feel people should take a greater look at things and accept that the stones are getting old, yes old, and that it must get harder to do what they do...... each and everyday of the year..

Definitely. Please don't "analize" the poor man.... as others have written..he's already been through enough..

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-06-09 07:04 by SweetThing.

Posted by: memphiscats ()
Date: June 9, 2012 07:28

SweetThing
memphiscats
If you go by the number of "waking hours" Keith has lived, he's actually closer to 210 years old. In Life, Keith explained due to his sleepless days, he's lived about 3 lives compared to the average mortal. One of the many signs that Keith can't be killed by conventional weapons. drinking smiley

How old does that make keith in dog years?
Well math has never been my friend, but I think it makes him 'round 470 years.
Rock on! smoking smiley

Posted by: stonesdan60 ()
Date: June 9, 2012 11:46

backstreetboy1
i think keiths playing was great on shine a light.did you watch it with earplugs in.

Right on. I find nothing about Keith's playing I don't like in SAL. My only complaint is he was not mixed loud enough. The first time I listened to the soundtrack nice and loud through headphpones I was really impressed with his work. But I've said all this before so I won't go on. Those who've made up their minds that he sucked won't be swayed by anyone else's opinion. Just nice to know I'm not completely alone.

Posted by: wupperstein ()
Date: June 9, 2012 12:04

Without Keith the sound of the Stones would be boaring!

Date: June 9, 2012 15:54

Keith Richards is an old has been who can't play! He is embarassing! He is dead weight! "You Got The Silver" from SAL was a fcuking embarassment! Trying to do a Stevie Nicks impersonation! Lord, give me strength!

Date: June 9, 2012 16:16

big4

"From locomotive to caboose" haha..
yes, with the Winos he became frontman, But it was the good parts of the frontman that he acquired. For a while. The confidence to man a mike at center stage; to sing lead vocals; the posing came later.
I thought he did some of his very best guitar playing of entire career with the Winos. The Winos was a project he did right in so many ways. A real band, a great band. Great albums, great tours. I love the Winos.

Posted by: noughties ()
Date: June 9, 2012 16:44

- Another Keith thread?

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: June 9, 2012 16:55

Cheers mates smileys with beer

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Date: June 9, 2012 18:26

Rolling Hansie
Cheers mates smileys with beer

Great pic of you and that watchman character! Of course, that is you on the right, Hansie!smileys with beer

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-06-09 18:29 by MightyStonesStillRollin50.

Date: June 9, 2012 18:32

noughties
- Another Keith thread?

Seems to be a very popular subject these days.

Date: June 9, 2012 21:38

I am a fan Of Stones music, not a fanatic or a Stone fundamentalist or a protector of the holy grail either.

Where is Keith the artist?

I want to hear the latest Winos sessions so Keith would shut me up. I rather listen to that than another live album or live movie or dvd of the 12 or so war horses tunes over and over again. Jesus christ!!! Or another album trying to Sound like the old Stones.

Keith where is your soul?

Posted by: noughties ()
Date: June 9, 2012 23:09

I`d suppose this site would at an ebb these days, considering the sparse info from the band.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1243
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home