Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...56789101112131415...LastNext
Current Page: 10 of 16
Re: Toronto 2005, Light the Fuse...Is this the new release from the Bootleg series?
Posted by: Tumblin_Dice_07 ()
Date: June 5, 2012 20:25

Justin

I'll tell you why it's all been bothering me...

I apologize if Ive been snipey. I"m all for everyone's opinion---that's why we're here. But that doesn't have to stop me from reacting to it--especially when it's become quite unbearable around here for a while.

I didn't wanna quote all that again. I post here sometimes and I probably get on here 2 to 4 times a week to see what's going on. I'm not really sure what's so "unbearable" here. Alot of people are fairly negative. And alot of people bash other fans who don't share their opinions. But I don't "live" here. I'm not forced to put up with it. I don't read every thread. In fact, I probably only read 1/4th of the threads that get posted here, if that. There's so much BS on this board (and any other board) that I don't bother to read, much less get involved, in 90% of it. I guess that's why I don't understand the angst being voiced here.

Re: Toronto 2005, Light the Fuse...Is this the new release from the Bootleg series?
Posted by: Justin ()
Date: June 5, 2012 20:45

Tumblin_Dice_07
I post here sometimes and I probably get on here 2 to 4 times a week to see what's going on. I'm not really sure what's so "unbearable" here. I guess that's why I don't understand the angst being voiced here.

All of it adds up when you visit the board throughout the day. You're lucky to not notice it because you're here every so often. That's fine. But when all this extreme negativity spills over to nearly every thread...it's hard to ignore it all. This thread for example was about a possible new archive release, and a bunch of people are going on and on about how irrelevant this tour was and how unneeded it is, and then more Keith bashing etc. The Mick/SNL gig quickly morphed from "Look how great Mick is" to "The Stones couldn't play this hard to save their life." And then there are the endless threads being posted biweekly regarding how bad Keith is playing lately (both Sumlin and Berry tributes). So it's difficult to ignore all the extreme negativity when it's creeping up on multiple threads on various subjects. It's very hard to have a streamlined focused conversation on a particular subject when there are fans constantly reminding everyone how much the Stones have sucked in the last twenty years.

I'm not against anyone posting their opinion. But I will be the first to show holes in your argument. And I've already explained above, all these expectations and dissapointments towards the band is a ridiculously easy fix: Just let it go. Maybe then this place can be a little bit more productive and a little bit more at ease regarding whatever stuff they're doing in the next year. Everyone still NEEDS something from this band and that's what is throwing everyone off.

Posted by: MuddyJaggrich ()
Date: June 5, 2012 20:48

Seems like a fake! Compare the "light the fuse" cover with the logo on the Hampton cover! I think the tongue on that is taken from the Hampton cover.

Posted by: hockenheim95 ()
Date: June 5, 2012 20:54

MuddyJaggrich
Seems like a fake! Compare the "light the fuse" cover with the logo on the Hampton cover! I think the tongue on that is taken from the Hampton cover.

I don't think so! It looks just like the other covers.....

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: June 5, 2012 20:58

Tumblin_Dice_07
.... Alot of people are fairly negative. And alot of people bash other fans who don't share their opinions. But I don't "live" here. I'm not forced to put up with it. I don't read every thread. In fact, I probably only read 1/4th of the threads that get posted here, if that. There's so much BS on this board (and any other board) that I don't bother to read, much less get involved, in 90% of it. I guess that's why I don't understand the angst being voiced here.
Yup.

When reading/posting here is more hassles than fun, then it is probably time to back off, stop caring, stop posting, stop dealing with the shit here, time to find a new board for fun. I did.

Posted by: GumbootCloggeroo ()
Date: June 5, 2012 21:26

Tumblin_Dice_07
I didn't wanna quote all that again. I post here sometimes and I probably get on here 2 to 4 times a week to see what's going on. I'm not really sure what's so "unbearable" here. Alot of people are fairly negative. And alot of people bash other fans who don't share their opinions. But I don't "live" here. I'm not forced to put up with it. I don't read every thread. In fact, I probably only read 1/4th of the threads that get posted here, if that. There's so much BS on this board (and any other board) that I don't bother to read, much less get involved, in 90% of it. I guess that's why I don't understand the angst being voiced here.
You don't take this message board seriously. Good on you. There are plenty on here that do, They take every word personally and any criticism against the Stones is like a criticism about a family member. I don't let this place ruin my day. It's just silliness on here. There are more important things in this world to get worked up over.

Posted by: keith56 ()
Date: June 5, 2012 23:15

MuddyJaggrich

If only you could tell the truth

Posted by: studiorambo ()
Date: June 6, 2012 02:24

If only they would release it already. The track by track breakdown has got me excited for it.

Posted by: fyp933 ()
Date: June 6, 2012 04:02

i don't understand why people are being negative about this show being the (possible) next official bootleg download when many on this forum considered it to be one of the "holy grail" recordings that they would want.

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: June 6, 2012 04:48

alimente

Well said, Doxa. The problem with the "modern-era" Stones in a nutshell is that, for example, covers like Mr. Pitiful or Get Up, Stand Up could be Mick Jagger backed by anyone - the SNL houseband, the Hall % Oates Orchestra,

Hey... No need to disrespect Hall and Oates.

Posted by: studiorambo ()
Date: June 6, 2012 04:57

Any educated guesses on escape date? This week? I assume goggle music gets it first followed by stonesarchive a day later.

Posted by: milio77 ()
Date: June 6, 2012 08:03

For me, some southamerican show from the 90's would be just fine, specially Voodoo Lounge from Buenos Aires...

Date: June 6, 2012 10:30

The problem with many of the "Vegas-bashers" is that they can't tell the difference between a cooking 1989-show and a terrible 2007-show.

They have decided that it's the same, since the formula/band line up is the same.

In fact, there is just as much difference between a 1989-show and a 2007-show as there is between 1969 and 1973, imo.

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: June 6, 2012 11:32

It seems that I am a rare beast here as I listen to a lot of "Vegas Era" shows, and find them just as interesting as the old ones. The expectation for this Toronto 2005 is growing!

C

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: June 6, 2012 11:49

What a whole lotta fuss about nothing. grinning smiley

If this is indeed what the next release will be, atleast it's something different from what we expected.

I'm no fan of this period, but the youtube clips from the gig show them feeling good and excited.

There's clearly a standard of multi-track sound quality being followed with these stonesarchive releases. So, my fellow Jones era fanatics, it's best not to expect anything from that time because of the more limited technology, crazy audiences etc making it unlikley recordings of same kind of quality exist.

I think I'll faint if they do go and release something from that time. eye popping smiley

Date: June 6, 2012 11:57

His Majesty
What a whole lotta fuss about nothing. grinning smiley

If this is indeed what the next release will be, atleast it's something different from what we expected.

I'm no fan of this period, but the youtube clips from the gig show them feeling good and excited.

There's clearly a standard of multi-track sound quality being followed with these stonesarchive releases. So, my fellow Jones era fanatics, it's best not to expect anything from that time because of the more limited technology, crazy audiences etc making it unlikley recordings of same kind of quality exist.

I think I'll faint if they do go and release something from that time. eye popping smiley

I would be fine with a generally tweaked (doesn't have to be multitrack) radio show from the Brian era thumbs up

Date: June 6, 2012 12:01

DandelionPowderman
His Majesty

I would be fine with a generally tweaked (doesn't have to be multitrack) radio show from the Brian era thumbs up

Me too, but would they? grinning smiley

Date: June 6, 2012 12:11

I'll pay double for the Melbourne-show, even in this quality thumbs up.

Setlist:

The Last Time
Mercy Mercy
She Said Yeah
Play With Fire
Not Fade Away
That's How Strong My Love Is
Get Off Of My Cloud
Satisfaction

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2012-06-06 12:19 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: proudmary ()
Date: June 6, 2012 13:11

all this whining about the late period - I do not know is it more about snobbery or disrespect to one's own taste.

When Opera Houses stage Carmen ot Aida by Verdi in the thousandth time no one says it's nostalgia. You go to the theater and see Chekhov and Ibsen in the billionth time... Classical musicians perform a limited repertoire.
But R'n'R music in the eyes of some fans has no cultural value at all, so the only thing that is valuable is the constant renewal like yesterday did not exist.
they are artists not the power generators.

Posted by: Paul Kersey ()
Date: June 6, 2012 14:00

Doxa
Justin
Doxa
The Stones are creatively speaking dead and live just in nostalgia they reproduce with latest stage technology.

...and that's the impression you get even when they do a club show for a hundred people?

The Stones are hostages in their own legacy. Why bother making new music when A) fans will pay ridiculous amounts of money to see them play all the same shite anyway B ) the fans crap on every new song they write C) fans want every new album to be the next Exile. The "nostalgia" is a corner we've all painted them in. They're lucky they can still play JJF because that's the only they give us at this point.

I'm sort of amused that anyone is still treating them as if they're some kind of working band today. They're not. Creatively dead? Well obviously. But after fifty years...what else is there to do? You look at all the issues this band has got going: two primary songwriters that don't work closely together anymore, Mick a guy who's heart is really in other things besides the Stones, a guitar player who is suffering from arthritis and some effects of a head injury...this is a team that's been falling apart.

And in the end I say to all this: who really cares? I don't take any of this stuff seriously anymore. They gave me what I needed and I am completely content. I have no more room. I needed to come to terms with that in order to accept the present. By doing that, all the anger and hostility towards the band faded. When I realized that I didn't need MORE from this band--the scars healed.

Keith's BS, his lazy playing this, that, and the other...who cares anymore? It's all over folks. Anything coming up at this point is a victory lap. Who in the hell would "boo" a runner taking his victory lap after a long, battered race? "BOO!! You suck now! GO HOME!" Arm chair critics is all it is.

The fine line between critics and fan boys is becoming more and more defined around here. The fashionable thing to do is to return the same amount of crap Keith dished out in the last few years and in doing so apparently is some kind of therapeutic cleansing for fans. So...whatever floats your boat!

I think you quite accurately describe the non-relevance of the Vegas Era Stones compared to teh relavance of non-Vegas Stones. I personally think that the time since 1989, and especially since LICKS TOUR has been an extra time given for the band and its fans, but there is not any longer anything to add to the real story. Just the longest farewell/celebration tour ever done (it sarted in 1989). I have enjoyed a lot going to Rolling Stones concerts, seeing my old heroes once again and once agian and once again alive, and meeting other Stones fans, and just having a great time, full of nostalgia, of course. But that's it. Due its non-evolving nature, repeative nature, every concert is about another version of the same concept (the players just getting worse by the years) there is nothing to write home about - that is: to listen it again in the form of some live document. They do not anymore offer musical adventures I get excited in listening at home; juts don't have any longer that "once in a life time" hectic moments of glory, to share that makes one want to listen them again and again.

It's totally different thing when listening bootlegs from their creative, evolving yaers. Almost every concert, every damn lick Keith, Taylor or Ronnie did (not to forget Brian), every Bill & Charlie moment, every Jagger scream, sounded like they were in a process of reaching somewhere they didn't know, nor did us. But they were in a creative process all the time. Moving forwards. No matter how sloppy, now much mistakes they did, it was always exciting. That's something I haven't heard during the Vegas era. I might listen some concert of theirs - I prefer watching - but I never re-listen it again, no matter how "exciting" the set list might be. The question for me is only just (a) being there present and having the experience, or (b) listening it afterwards once, and that's it. I don't feel like owning music that I know I will only listen once in my life. The difference between subjective experience being in concert and listening it 'objectively' afterwards is too big these days, and I rather skip the latter.

That's why I am not much interested in listening to any documents of any Vegas era shows, no matter how 'rare' it is (club, unusual set list, etc.). I guess this new bootleg is great by modern standards because it is an expection to a rule (somehow). But that's not enough for me. I don't download modern shows even for free, so why should I pay for that?

But I hope some "fans" quit their habit of calling names fellow fans who don't think alike. This is not a case of being "foolish" or not. Justin, I have wanted to ask you this for some time, and I do it now: you make wonderful, insightful posts here but why do the personal opinions of fellow Stones fans matter to you so much that you need start bashing them way too often?

- Doxa

thumbs up Doxa

Posted by: HighwireC ()
Date: June 6, 2012 14:18

Paul Kersey
Doxa
Justin
Doxa
The Stones are creatively speaking dead and live just in nostalgia they reproduce with latest stage technology.

...and that's the impression you get even when they do a club show for a hundred people?

The Stones are hostages in their own legacy. Why bother making new music when A) fans will pay ridiculous amounts of money to see them play all the same shite anyway B ) the fans crap on every new song they write C) fans want every new album to be the next Exile. The "nostalgia" is a corner we've all painted them in. They're lucky they can still play JJF because that's the only they give us at this point.

I'm sort of amused that anyone is still treating them as if they're some kind of working band today. They're not. Creatively dead? Well obviously. But after fifty years...what else is there to do? You look at all the issues this band has got going: two primary songwriters that don't work closely together anymore, Mick a guy who's heart is really in other things besides the Stones, a guitar player who is suffering from arthritis and some effects of a head injury...this is a team that's been falling apart.

And in the end I say to all this: who really cares? I don't take any of this stuff seriously anymore. They gave me what I needed and I am completely content. I have no more room. I needed to come to terms with that in order to accept the present. By doing that, all the anger and hostility towards the band faded. When I realized that I didn't need MORE from this band--the scars healed.

Keith's BS, his lazy playing this, that, and the other...who cares anymore? It's all over folks. Anything coming up at this point is a victory lap. Who in the hell would "boo" a runner taking his victory lap after a long, battered race? "BOO!! You suck now! GO HOME!" Arm chair critics is all it is.

The fine line between critics and fan boys is becoming more and more defined around here. The fashionable thing to do is to return the same amount of crap Keith dished out in the last few years and in doing so apparently is some kind of therapeutic cleansing for fans. So...whatever floats your boat!

I think you quite accurately describe the non-relevance of the Vegas Era Stones compared to teh relavance of non-Vegas Stones. I personally think that the time since 1989, and especially since LICKS TOUR has been an extra time given for the band and its fans, but there is not any longer anything to add to the real story. Just the longest farewell/celebration tour ever done (it sarted in 1989). I have enjoyed a lot going to Rolling Stones concerts, seeing my old heroes once again and once agian and once again alive, and meeting other Stones fans, and just having a great time, full of nostalgia, of course. But that's it. Due its non-evolving nature, repeative nature, every concert is about another version of the same concept (the players just getting worse by the years) there is nothing to write home about - that is: to listen it again in the form of some live document. They do not anymore offer musical adventures I get excited in listening at home; juts don't have any longer that "once in a life time" hectic moments of glory, to share that makes one want to listen them again and again.

It's totally different thing when listening bootlegs from their creative, evolving yaers. Almost every concert, every damn lick Keith, Taylor or Ronnie did (not to forget Brian), every Bill & Charlie moment, every Jagger scream, sounded like they were in a process of reaching somewhere they didn't know, nor did us. But they were in a creative process all the time. Moving forwards. No matter how sloppy, now much mistakes they did, it was always exciting. That's something I haven't heard during the Vegas era. I might listen some concert of theirs - I prefer watching - but I never re-listen it again, no matter how "exciting" the set list might be. The question for me is only just (a) being there present and having the experience, or (b) listening it afterwards once, and that's it. I don't feel like owning music that I know I will only listen once in my life. The difference between subjective experience being in concert and listening it 'objectively' afterwards is too big these days, and I rather skip the latter.

That's why I am not much interested in listening to any documents of any Vegas era shows, no matter how 'rare' it is (club, unusual set list, etc.). I guess this new bootleg is great by modern standards because it is an expection to a rule (somehow). But that's not enough for me. I don't download modern shows even for free, so why should I pay for that?

But I hope some "fans" quit their habit of calling names fellow fans who don't think alike. This is not a case of being "foolish" or not. Justin, I have wanted to ask you this for some time, and I do it now: you make wonderful, insightful posts here but why do the personal opinions of fellow Stones fans matter to you so much that you need start bashing them way too often?

- Doxa

thumbs up Doxa

OK, You don't want to stop bashing The Rolling Stones?
So I've to ask again:

What do you discribe as "relevant" and "creative" concerts? OK, I remember Berlin, Waldbühne 1965 and Altamont 1969. Is that the kind of creativity you want them to celebrate, again and again, now in their 70s?

After Brian lost his "creativity", he joint the 27th-club. Mick, Keef, Bill and Charlie tried to drive on, some of them by using heavy drugs. Is this the kind of creativity and circus you want them to do now again and again, while sitting in the sofa by yourself and watching them in their continual self-destuctions?

confused smiley

And:
I'm a little bit tired about all those "fans", living in the past and are unable to grow up.

smoking smiley

Date: June 6, 2012 14:33

I'm a bit baffled by the talk about The Stones and creativity.

Is this the kind of creativity you are talking about, Doxa - making songs into something new?

I think the very same fans that complain today would have booed the Stones off the stage had they played like this today...

Or are you maybe thinking of how they wrote songs at the time?

The way they played on stage in general - their sound?

Why isn't this just as creative?

Imagine this song on GHS, for instance:

This is imo an example of very creative song writing and production:

Or does it just boil down to the quantity of songs written and albums released in the period 1989-2012?

If so, we shouldn't slag 1989-1997, because they were actually creative in that period (writing, recording and touring).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-06-06 14:36 by DandelionPowderman.

Date: June 6, 2012 14:56

For me it's the syle of writing, the production and sounds, but also the feel of how they play. They have era's with different members, different production ideals, different everything nearly. Some same people, but those people and their tastes have went to a place which I don't like so much.

How they were in sixties just grooves with me, I can appreciate how they went on and developed, but what they evolved in to simply doesn't move me... There are exceptions of course. smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-06-06 15:01 by His Majesty.

Posted by: Eleanor Rigby ()
Date: June 6, 2012 15:19

Doxa
Justin
Doxa

- Doxa

thanks to Slick & Doxa I have nothing more to add on this subject...totally agree.

Posted by: falo01 ()
Date: June 6, 2012 15:21

wow this is definetly the BS thread of the century !

Date: June 6, 2012 15:25

falo01

Especially if it ends up being a different gig from a different era. grinning smiley

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: June 6, 2012 15:36

His Majesty
For me it's the syle of writing, the production and sounds, but also the feel of how they play. They have era's with different members, different production ideals, different everything nearly. Some same people, but those people and their tastes have went to a place which I don't like so much.

How they were in sixties just grooves with me, I can appreciate how they went on and developed, but what they evolved in to simply doesn't move me... There are exceptions of course. smiling smiley

Now many of us wonder what those exceptions are. At least I do.

Date: June 6, 2012 15:41

kleermaker
His Majesty

Now many of us wonder what those exceptions are. At least I do.

See above...

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: June 6, 2012 15:41

Slick
Gazza
Slick
Gazza
Slick
disagree. if they sell a lot of this vegas show, you will only end up getting more vegas shows. best to completely boycott this trash, then they will realize that the vintage shows are what the true fans want.

Who on this board or anywhere is qualified to speak for what makes a 'true fan' or second guess what 'true fans' want?

You're missing the whole point of this archives series, which is, as far as I can see, to open their vaults and release shows from different periods of their 50-year career. To limit these releases to a span of about 10-12 years defeats the entire purpose, and to ignore totally a period which takes up almost half of the era the band has existed is nonsensical.

If you dont want it, dont buy it. There are fans here who think the '78 and '81 periods are bloody awful - should the Stones have pandered to their demands as well? Not every 'true fan' is going to love every era or every tour - if you read some of the stuff on this site, you'd be forgiven for thinking the Stones didnt exist until 1968. Should the band ignore the period before that year too because there arent enough 'true fans' left who will appreciate a release with Brian Jones?
alright i will scratch 'true' fans and substitute that with 'old school' fans.... and i do think they risk losing a lot of goodwill recently generated amongst the old school fans by radically jumping forward AGAIN into light-weight, watered-down stones, as there are already TONS of released material from the vegas years.

'Jumping forward again'?

This is the first release from that era in this series.

Are you seriously suggesting that the Stones should just ignore the entire second half of their career in a series of releases that are supposed to mark their entire career - and forget about the fact that for many of their fanbase, that era represents the only era they know? Just because some fans look down on it as inferior?

Neither the 'old school fans' (and where does that era begin and end anyway? 1969? 1974? 1982? 1990?) or 'modern era fans' have any right to monopolise anything, expect to have all their whims and tastes catered for or dictate anything to any artist.

Bottom line is that it isn't all about you, me or any 'section' of fans.

It wouldn't be my personal choice of era to highlight, but once any artist allows a select group of fans to dictate the definition of what parts of their oeuvre is 'good' or 'bad' then they lose all control over their work, cease to deserve to be regarded as artists and may as well give up.
four flicks & biggest bang box sets, flashpoint, live licks, live at the max, st louis 97 dvd, miami 94 dvd, live security, shine a light. i think thats all of them; youve heard one of these shows, youve heard them all, jaggers phrasing never changes & the big band sounds the same.

Thats not my point, slick. Those were all 'current' releases - just as Ya Yas, Got live if you want it, Love You Live and Still Life were all current releases. Not archive releases. So, the 'jumping forward again' argument isnt valid. The last two releases consisted of shows from tours which had already previously been covered on live albums.

Personal taste (and yours isnt that far from mine) isnt the issue. What IS is the fact that the point of the series is to celebrate and commemorate their 50 years as a band. Not to highlight a period of about 10-12 of them. Thats how it goes with any act who has been around for decades. Not everyone loves ALL of their work. Its not worth getting worked up about - if you dont like it, pass on it - there'll be another one coming along in a couple of months which will almost certainly be pre-1989.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-06-06 15:46 by Gazza.

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: June 6, 2012 15:52

falo01

Trust me falo, there have been better Brown Sugar threads.
This one for instance makes zero sense speculatively.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...56789101112131415...LastNext
Current Page: 10 of 16

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1642
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home