Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Stones - March 26, 1971 - very good Jagger vocal night
Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: June 30, 2012 09:42

Another Youtube gem! The sound quality is lees than average but this performance from 1971 with Mick Taylor and the two horns of Jim Price and Bobby Keys is where the ball started really rolling for these guys imho. Right before they moved into Nell Cote in the south of France to record Exile if I'm not mistaken.

The most amazing discovery for me was that Mick could actually sing, and well! Very genuine and unchecked in his vocals on this one. I can only assume it is because he is not prancing around the stage like Madonna and really into the vocal performance for the sake of it.

Just look at the joy dripping off him as he sings into the harmonica at the start of Midnight Rambler. You don't see that in modern day Stones.

Dead Flowers and I Got the Blues alone are worth the price of admission. Tuning problems throughout, who cares, par for the course in that day I've been told.

What a treat, apologies if it's been posted here before.

peace

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2012-06-30 16:17 by Naturalust.

Re: Stones - May 22, 1971 - very good Jagger vocal night
Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: June 30, 2012 10:26

Taylor's playing on Dead Flowers is irritating as fuckk!

Date: June 30, 2012 10:36

I like the way the show is laid out. By 'Let it Rock' they are hot.

Date: June 30, 2012 11:06

His Majesty

A few too many notes there for you His Majesty? I rather like the way the camera captures his licks in any case. After all, it is the electric version of Dead Flowers. peace

Date: June 30, 2012 11:55

Naturalust
Another Youtube gem! The sound quality is lees than average but this performance from 1971 with Mick Taylor and the two horns of Jim Price and Bobby Keys is where the ball started really rolling for these guys imho. Right before they moved into Nell Cote in the south of France to record Exile if I'm not mistaken.

The most amazing discovery for me was that Mick could actually sing, and well! Very genuine and unchecked in his vocals on this one. I can only assume it is because he is not prancing around the stage like Madonna and really into the vocal performance for the sake of it.

Just look at the joy dripping off him as he sings into the harmonica at the start of Midnight Rambler. You don't see that in modern day Stones.

Dead Flowers and I Got the Blues alone are worth the price of admission. Tuning problems throughout, who cares, par for the course in that day I've been told.

What a treat, apologies if it's been posted here before.

peace

This is the Marquee-show, March 26, isn´t it? confused smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-06-30 11:57 by DandelionPowderman.

Date: June 30, 2012 16:05

Probably DP, can't trust Youtube to get it right. Shall I change the thread title? Please advise. Thanks. peace

Date: June 30, 2012 16:08

Naturalust
Probably DP, can't trust Youtube to get it right. Shall I change the thread title? Please advise. Thanks. peace

Yeah, haven´t seen Keith that badly shaved on other shows winking smiley

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: June 30, 2012 16:15

Of course it's the well known Marquee. Same year, March 26.
Great melodic playing by Taylor on especially Dead Flowers.

Date: June 30, 2012 16:22

kleermaker

Too much melodic playing by Taylor on especially Dead Flowers.

thumbs up

Date: June 30, 2012 16:31

His Majesty
kleermaker

Too much melodic playing by Taylor on especially Dead Flowers.

thumbs up

Hey, don't mess with my quotes, you devil!grinning smiley

Date: June 30, 2012 18:47

His Majesty
Taylor's playing on Dead Flowers is a melodic wonderment!

thumbs up

Re: Stones - March 26, 1971 - very good Jagger vocal night
Date: June 30, 2012 18:53

I'm surprised no one is talking about Jagger actually singing instead of prancing about. This was clearly after the TAMI show when most folks thought he clipped his dance act from James Brown. peace

Date: June 30, 2012 18:58

Naturalust
I'm surprised no one is talking about Jagger actually singing instead of prancing about. This was clearly after the TAMI show when most folks thought he clipped his dance act from James Brown. peace

People here worship his singing in 1972 and 1973 as well.

I think you have a point. After 1971, he "stopped" singing and developed his prancing style, also vocally. After 1976, when he was shouting more than he was singing, he picked up the singing again, imo.

Date: June 30, 2012 19:02

DandelionPowderman
His Majesty
Taylor's playing on Dead Flowers is a melodic wonderment!

thumbs up

More like him playing his latest scale practice routine and newly worked out over soloing motifs.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-06-30 19:02 by His Majesty.

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: June 30, 2012 19:05

Just recently I had been watching this show a lot. Vocally, Mick is really at the top of his game in 71. Think of what they were recording around this time: I got the Blues and Moonlight Mile from SF and Let It Loose from Exlie, some of his very best Vocal Performances. This show is right in the middle of it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-06-30 19:06 by ryanpow.

Posted by: pmk251 ()
Date: June 30, 2012 19:20

I think the band's performance of DF during this period is nothing short of thrilling. It's a simple statement: The band can play.

There are a number of times during the '70-'71 period where I have thought that Jagger's vocals were unique (for him) and almost soulful. He plays around with phrasing, sings behind the beat, etc. He's experimenting and it's interesting and effective. It doesn't happen a whole lot, but here and there I think "That's different and nice."

Date: June 30, 2012 19:43

Bobby Keys sax solo in I Got The Blues is just dripping! So soulful, so sweet, his timing is impecable. Taylor also plays well with nice tone in this tune.

I'm guessing it wasn't long after they finished the studio recording of this tune for Sticky Fingers. Also noteable on this song for me is the way Keith picks it up with his guitar phrasing near the end. He is the undisputed leader of the band at this point imho.

I wonder where that couple at 19:11 is these days? Somebody's grandparents retired in South Florida or Devon perhaps? They knew they were getting the goods that day. peace

Posted by: wicked67 ()
Date: June 30, 2012 20:00

Mick Taylor Fantastic!!! the best guitarist who had the stones

Posted by: ChrisM ()
Date: June 30, 2012 20:24

wicked67
Wow, read that again wicked. It comes as if MT shagged them all!

Date: June 30, 2012 21:04

ChrisM
wicked67

Quite the opposite is true to some on this board, financially speaking.

Just in case English is not wicked67's primary language I will correct it for him below, and I agree, with the exception of Keith Richards. peace

wicked67
Mick Taylor Fantastic!!! The best guitarist that the stones ever had!

Date: June 30, 2012 22:51

Naturalust
ChrisM
wicked67

Quite the opposite is true to some on this board, financially speaking.

Just in case English is not wicked67's primary language I will correct it for him below, and I agree, with the exception of Keith Richards. peace

wicked67
Mick Taylor Fantastic!!! The best guitarist that the stones ever had!

Is that correct? I thought it should be 'whom' or simply neither of both.

Posted by: stonesnow ()
Date: June 30, 2012 23:15

Naturalust

Yes, it's true, Jagger isn't copying James Brown here--instead, he's imitating Taj Mahal. Click the link below for the clip of Taj Mahal's song Ain't That Lovin' You at the Stones' 1968 Rock-n-Roll Circus. That handclapping bit Jagger is doing throughout at the Marquee in '71 is an exact emulation of Taj Mahal's gesturing from '68. Luckily, someone posted it on their MySpace page, because ABKCO had the vid pulled from YouTube because of "copyright claims".

[www.myspace.com]

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: June 30, 2012 23:19

One of a thousand or more fantastic Mick Jagger vocals over the last 50 years. Dodger Stadium 2006 was incredible. All eras have their validity.

Posted by: dph ()
Date: July 1, 2012 03:48

Mick redid at least some of his vocals after the fact. There are outtakes of I Got the Blues where his voice cracks and they don't finish the song. The broadcast version is fantastic. Not sure which other songs he redid if any.

Date: July 1, 2012 04:00

dph
Mick redid at least some of his vocals after the fact. There are outtakes of I Got the Blues where his voice cracks and they don't finish the song. The broadcast version is fantastic. Not sure which other songs he redid if any.

I have a DVD bootleg of this, and they actually did 2 separate sets, and the one that was broadcast was the stronger of the 2 sets. The "outtakes" are just the first set versions, where they mess up I Got the Blues.

No wonder Mick's voice cracks: see him swilling from the big bottle of Jack that's resting on one of the amps?

I'm going to have a brewsky and re-view this vid and will post if I left anything out.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: July 1, 2012 08:56

My god, can you imagine how boring it would have been if Mick had just stood there, and not pranced around? As opposed to prancing AND singing. He was a hell of an entertainer up until it played out around 1981. I'm so glad I got to catch them in Cleveland in '78 to get a last glimpse of the young, fluid Jagger all over the stage. With Brian gone, and Keith off in narcoland, Mick was the only thing to look at. That's why Taylor always stuck out. They already had Bill, the undertaker, with the nailed to his spot routine. (And even he moved a little bit in the beginning).

Forced by age to tone it down, Mick has concentrated on his singing more, which has brought wonderful versions of That's How Strong My Love Is, and others.

Date: July 1, 2012 09:33

stonesnow
dph

I have a DVD bootleg of this, and they actually did 2 separate sets, and the one that was broadcast was the stronger of the 2 sets. The "outtakes" are just the first set versions, where they mess up I Got the Blues.

No wonder Mick's voice cracks: see him swilling from the big bottle of Jack that's resting on one of the amps?

I'm going to have a brewsky and re-view this vid and will post if I left anything out.

OK, to correct my earlier post. They only played one set there at the Marquee March 26, 1971--but the band, as well as the audience, was heavily edited for the official broadcast version.

The DVD bootleg I have has what is called the "Raw Footage"--that is, the actual gig ran nearly 50 minutes. The version of I Got The Blues had to be stopped midway through. At one point, Mick stops singing and starts shout-talking a vocal part but doesn't know where to go with it. He isn't feeling the song and looks over in Keith's direction, then you see the camera on Bobby Keys who's playing the sax with his eyes open and looking tentatively at Mick, as though he's about to start breaking out in laughter. Finally, Mick stops the number, and directs them to do it again, but it's a few minutes--and some tuning up exercises--before they actually do it again. Take 2 is what gets into the broadcast version. The song Bitch also required a second take. There was a false start: "A little more soul!" Jagger says into the mic as they tune up for a second version. And this is a club gig? Imagine if this happened in a stadium concert!

Also what the final 26-minute broadcast--edited--version doesn't show was that there was considerable casual interludes between numbers. Keith, Mick, and Bobby Keys each had their own quart bottle of brownish hard liquor--not Newcastle Ale for sure--that they were liberally chugging in between numbers as though it were apple cider, with bits of casual stage banter. There was lots of stop and go at this gig, not at all like the dynamic cut-and-tear performance the edited 26-minute version made it seem like.

By the way, the closing number was not Brown Sugar--it was actually take 2 of Bitch. The first version had a false start and flat execution, as noted above.

Finally, the audience. In the raw footage, there were no audience shots--those were obviously dubbed in later, to make the drawn-out, flaw-ridden 50-minute set look like the 26-minute tight, exciting set the broadcast version wanted you to see. Want proof? Look at the audience at the end of the last number. They're just standing there--but the audio has them whooping and clapping like it's the second coming of Beatlemania. But it wasn't like that at all, really...

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: July 1, 2012 09:37

yeah, its not really a normal kind of gig. It was a TV production. I think the final product comes off pretty well though.

Posted by: maremma ()
Date: July 1, 2012 11:43

His Majesty
==
Irritating ???? Depens if you F*** or if you are F***ed !!! hot smiley

This being said, I completely disagree: M Taylor's playing is simply fantastic !!

Date: July 1, 2012 16:02

maremma
His Majesty
==
Irritating ???? Depens if you F*** or if you are F***ed !!! hot smiley

This being said, I completely disagree: M Taylor's playing is simply fantastic !!

lol.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2238
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home