Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 3 of 36
Re: OT: Euro 2012
Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: May 29, 2012 17:59

Someone starting a pool for the Euro 2012 ?

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: May 29, 2012 18:27

Silver Dagger
kleermaker
Silver Dagger
thrak
Is this topic about football or Second WW ? Anyway don't believe Sol Cambell when he's telling about racism in Poland. No one is gonna hurt, you'll see. This BBC document is very very very different from what is reality. Polish people don;t have problems with jews, black or anyone. Of course we have problems with hooligans but who hasn't ? England, Germany, Russia, Italy - there's plenty of fights between club gangs. But polish hooligans fight only with themselves and practicly never on stadiums. I've never seen that football hooligan hurt anyone on the street. It's all a hot news for tv and press but on the street it's different. So don't worry and come to Poland.

I think Italy will win it. The Black Horse of tournament will be Czech Rep.

Er, it's about football thrak.

You're right Silver, but someone started to talk about other things and I don't think that's wrong. We won't enter into long political discussions, but we can't pretend that sport (football included) and politics are totally separated, because they go hand in hand as we all know.

One relevant example. All Dutch politicians and many foreign ones (the French president for instance) have said that they won't go to the EK because of the way former Ukrainian prime minister and oil baroness Joelija Timosjenko is treated during her detention. So here we are: our national teams are officially representing 'our' sovereign nations while 'our' political leaders (also officially representing 'our' nations) say: We have nothing to do with this event! That feels kinda contradictory if you know what I mean.

And now we have these phenomena of hooligans and extreme right gangs in relation to this EK. Some say: I prefer the extreme right gangs, because the hooligans are ruining football. Others (like me for instance) also aren't fond of hooligans, but do consider violent extreme right gangs as a much bigger threat. So it's not realistic to expect people to avoid these things totally.

But I agree that it shouldn't spoil the fun, though my sympathy with the footballing millionaires or millionaire footballers (I don't know if they are in the first place millionaires or football players) is diminishing during the last decades. Besides I think the whole item of nationalism or chauvinism is a somewhat awkward thing these days when we see a disintegrating Europe.

Last but not least: in the good old Roman days they had 'panem et circenses', which means something like We (the rich and mighty) give the people 'bread and games' to keep them quiet, dumb and docile. Well, where's the bread now? We have an economic recession and growing unemployment, but the games always go on, no matter at what costs. Somehow I have the feeling they are fooling us.

So my enthusiasm for the Dutch team isn't that big anymore. I'm supporting the Greek team now. Most Greeks can use some fun these days.

Yes, but the whole point is this website is not a political platform for people to stand on their soapboxes and mouth off. We all know only too well what happens when discussions get out of hand. Threads get cancelled. All I'm hoping for is that we can have an interesting discussion about the Euro 2012 soccer tournament about to start in 10 days without it getting shut down. Something that can bring IORR members from all over Europe, and the World together to discuss something they like.

In the past we have had some fantastic threads about football and I'm hoping we can have one again.

The trick is to start a thread like this not earlier than the first day before the tournament begins, so that there's no time for anything other than the tournament itself cool smiley.

Posted by: jpasc95 ()
Date: May 29, 2012 18:37

when you like something, you tend to be passionate so you can go off the rails.

But Silver Dagger is right, let's talk only about soccer and also by respect of the rules of this forum (no politics).

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: May 29, 2012 18:43

kleermaker
Silver Dagger
kleermaker
Silver Dagger
thrak
Is this topic about football or Second WW ? Anyway don't believe Sol Cambell when he's telling about racism in Poland. No one is gonna hurt, you'll see. This BBC document is very very very different from what is reality. Polish people don;t have problems with jews, black or anyone. Of course we have problems with hooligans but who hasn't ? England, Germany, Russia, Italy - there's plenty of fights between club gangs. But polish hooligans fight only with themselves and practicly never on stadiums. I've never seen that football hooligan hurt anyone on the street. It's all a hot news for tv and press but on the street it's different. So don't worry and come to Poland.

I think Italy will win it. The Black Horse of tournament will be Czech Rep.

Er, it's about football thrak.

You're right Silver, but someone started to talk about other things and I don't think that's wrong. We won't enter into long political discussions, but we can't pretend that sport (football included) and politics are totally separated, because they go hand in hand as we all know.

One relevant example. All Dutch politicians and many foreign ones (the French president for instance) have said that they won't go to the EK because of the way former Ukrainian prime minister and oil baroness Joelija Timosjenko is treated during her detention. So here we are: our national teams are officially representing 'our' sovereign nations while 'our' political leaders (also officially representing 'our' nations) say: We have nothing to do with this event! That feels kinda contradictory if you know what I mean.

And now we have these phenomena of hooligans and extreme right gangs in relation to this EK. Some say: I prefer the extreme right gangs, because the hooligans are ruining football. Others (like me for instance) also aren't fond of hooligans, but do consider violent extreme right gangs as a much bigger threat. So it's not realistic to expect people to avoid these things totally.

But I agree that it shouldn't spoil the fun, though my sympathy with the footballing millionaires or millionaire footballers (I don't know if they are in the first place millionaires or football players) is diminishing during the last decades. Besides I think the whole item of nationalism or chauvinism is a somewhat awkward thing these days when we see a disintegrating Europe.

Last but not least: in the good old Roman days they had 'panem et circenses', which means something like We (the rich and mighty) give the people 'bread and games' to keep them quiet, dumb and docile. Well, where's the bread now? We have an economic recession and growing unemployment, but the games always go on, no matter at what costs. Somehow I have the feeling they are fooling us.

So my enthusiasm for the Dutch team isn't that big anymore. I'm supporting the Greek team now. Most Greeks can use some fun these days.

Yes, but the whole point is this website is not a political platform for people to stand on their soapboxes and mouth off. We all know only too well what happens when discussions get out of hand. Threads get cancelled. All I'm hoping for is that we can have an interesting discussion about the Euro 2012 soccer tournament about to start in 10 days without it getting shut down. Something that can bring IORR members from all over Europe, and the World together to discuss something they like.

In the past we have had some fantastic threads about football and I'm hoping we can have one again.

The trick is to start a thread like this not earlier than the first day before the tournament begins, so that there's no time for anything other than the tournament itself cool smiley.

Good point kleer. I kinda got excited after those matches at the weekend. I'm waiting for Carlitos to spring loose with 100 pictures of the Spanish team.

Posted by: leteyer ()
Date: May 29, 2012 19:16

No team is better than the Dutch...Will they find a way to lose yet another tournement? Most probably.

Spain is done, since winning the WC they have beat mostly "little" teams and had big problems with more traditional teams:
Mex 1 - 1 Spain
Argent 4 - 0 Spain
Portugal 4 - 0 Spain
Italy 2 - 1 Spain
England 1 - 0 Spain,
even Costa Rica 2 - 2 Spain, They have beaten Chile and Czech Rep by only one goal.

I think Germany should go all the way to the final....Against maybe Poland.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: May 29, 2012 19:49

OK, to talk football. I think it's a quite open affair this time around. But I think Germany will stand a good chance, as always, since their Bundesliga is built more around German players than international stars.
Which is an advantage when it comes to national competition. English, Spanish and Italian leagues relies very much on traded international players.

Posted by: Havo ()
Date: May 29, 2012 21:17

so, here I go: first match of every country:

Poland : Greece 3:1

Russia: Tschechien 2:2

Netherland: Denmark 1:1

Germany: Portugal 2:1

Spain: Italy 0:0

Eireland: croatia 1:2

France: England 1:3

Ukrain: Sweden 0:1

Date: June 3, 2012 08:59

A warning to all...Holland 6 Northern Ireland 0. The Germany v Holland game, which is the second in their group, promises to be a classic.

Posted by: windmelody ()
Date: June 3, 2012 10:28

Since there is another scandal it has become clear that Italy will win the cup!

Date: June 3, 2012 11:30

IORR EC 2012 POOL

Because the last WC pool was so much fun I created one for IORRians for this EC.

Go to www.ecpool.com
Click on the "register" button
Where it says "choose an existing pool you want to participate in:" you fill in IORR EC 2012
Fill in the details and click on "complete registration"

The site is available in English, Dutch and German language.
Good luck and have fun

Edit: Easier way to sign up [www.ekpoultje.nl]

-------------------

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-06-03 11:36 by Rolling Hansie.

Date: June 3, 2012 12:15

Rolling Hansie
IORR EC 2012 POOL

Because the last WC pool was so much fun I created one for IORRians for this EC.

Go to www.ecpool.com
Click on the "register" button
Where it says "choose an existing pool you want to participate in:" you fill in IORR EC 2012
Fill in the details and click on "complete registration"

The site is available in English, Dutch and German language.
Good luck and have fun

Edit: Easier way to sign up [www.ekpoultje.nl]

Nice one Rolling. Will do.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-06-03 12:48 by Silver Dagger.

Posted by: stonesrick ()
Date: June 3, 2012 12:29

Thanks very much Rolling Hansie - Good Luck!

Date: June 3, 2012 13:09

Thanks Silver Dagger and stonesrick.
Stonesrick, I just approved your membership. Does it work ?
I am still figuring out how it all works smiling smiley

-------------------

Date: June 3, 2012 22:45

Rolling Hansie
Thanks Silver Dagger and stonesrick.
Stonesrick, I just approved your membership. Does it work ?
I am still figuring out how it all works smiling smiley

Joined the pool now Rolling. Only 4 days to go. smileys with beer

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: June 3, 2012 23:30

I just joined smileys with beer

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: June 3, 2012 23:38

Silver Dagger
A warning to all...Holland 6 Northern Ireland 0. The Germany v Holland game, which is the second in their group, promises to be a classic.

A warning? NI are at their lowest ebb in a decade, had eight players unavailable and were always going to be on to a hiding to nothing. Totally expected scoreline, to be honest even though Holland looked very good from what I saw.

IORR EC 2012 POOL
Date: June 3, 2012 23:49

IORR EC 2012 POOL

So far I have registrations from: Max, Nicos, Stonesrick and Palace Revolution.
Did I miss anyone ?

-------------------

Date: June 4, 2012 00:16

Come On Gazza, join our little pool

-------------------

Date: June 4, 2012 00:26

Be afraid. I won last time, even predicting the two finalists!

Will do a bit of 'homework' and join in the next day or two.

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: June 4, 2012 00:40

Gazza

"Homework"? Do you have a scientific, particularly mathematical, method for this? Or do you have to visit your local fortune teller yet?

Date: June 4, 2012 01:07

Gazza
Be afraid.

Oh yes, we all are smiling smiley

-------------------

Re: IORR EC 2012 POOL
Date: June 4, 2012 02:45

Rolling Hansie
IORR EC 2012 POOL

So far I have registrations from: Max, Nicos, Stonesrick and Palace Revolution.
Did I miss anyone ?

I'm there too Rolling.

Date: June 4, 2012 03:35

kleermaker
Gazza

"Homework"? Do you have a scientific, particularly mathematical, method for this? Or do you have to visit your local fortune teller yet?

I basically just check out whos injured.., who's likely to play against who in the knockout stages, who's likely to fall out with other (generally, the Dutch team's achilles heel)....and then forget about all that and just hope for the best!

Cant see anyone outside of Germany, Spain or Holland winning it, to be honest.

Date: June 4, 2012 10:29

Silver Dagger
I'm there too Rolling.

Sorry Silver Dagger. Cannot see your name. Did you sign up for the correct pool ? IORR EC 2012 ?
Can you see the names of the other members ?
If not, I suggest you try again [www.ekpoultje.nl]

-------------------

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: June 4, 2012 10:38

2 1 2 0

Date: June 4, 2012 10:45

IORR EC 2012 POOL

OK Gazza. I see you signed up. Great prediction, except for the final. I think you made a little mistake there smiling smiley

-------------------

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: June 4, 2012 12:36

Ekpoultje!!!! Not a nice place to hang around!!!!! is there something wrong with their bandwidth

Posted by: crumbling_mice ()
Date: June 4, 2012 12:49

I'm in.

Posted by: Sici ()
Date: June 4, 2012 12:51

Giovinco is the best italian player, not Cassano or Balotelli

Date: June 4, 2012 12:53

NICOS
is there something wrong with their bandwidth

I think so. It is very slow many times. Sometimes I even can't get in. But sometimes it works smiling smiley

-------------------

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 3 of 36

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1254
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home